To Infinity and Beyond: A May 2011 Pixar Weekend Trip Report

Less than one month after returning from my April trip, and just two months after our wedding/Disneymoon trip, Brett and I were back at the World. How’d it happen, you ask? Well, on a rainy Friday morning, two weeks prior to Pixar Weekend, Brett sent me an email detailing some of the rare characters expected at the event and ended it by stating that we should totally go. I think he was half joking, because my response, “Let’s do it,” isn’t really what he was expecting. We decided to meet up for lunch that day and after discussing expenses and planning out a budget, we realized a short three-day weekend trip was totally doable. Huzzah!

We booked an AP rate at CBR the very same day. However, after more discussion that evening, we decided to switch to a value resort and upgrade our APs to Premium passes with the extra money we would’ve spent on the moderate! We had planned to go to a water park at least once during this trip and decided that, the upcharge for premium passes would pay for themselves after two water park visits. And bonus… merch is 20% off with a premium pass!

What we didn’t do, was book a lot of ADRs. :eek: Shocking, I know! Instead, we decided to just go with the flow and save a little cash since it was a bonus trip. We made two ADRs (the Wave and Kona) and figured we’d just wing it from there.

Pixar Weekend here we come! Thursday, May 12 – Sunday, May 15. Scratch that… Monday, May 16. Yeah, once we got there we totally ended up adding another day. :D

The cast… Mr. and Mrs. Hollybelle!

IMG_4160.jpg

Oh yeah… two new minor obsessions came of this trip: Vinylmation trading and Pook-a-Looz love! But more on that later… right now, I have a little Pixar preview for anyone out there who may or may not have a panic attack if they have to wait much longer (I’m looking at you, Karen!).

Booooooo!

IMG_0437_1.jpg

TakeMeThere81

Thanks for your comments! I am still a question mark on the cruise. Most likely we'll be right in the middle of moving...or something related to moving. Good things going on in this household though.

I'm so enjoying your TR and sad to see it rounding a curve toward it's end! :( That is never fun.

Glad that you got to ride Star Tours! I can't wait to experience this ride, and hopefully multiple times! The different sequences gets me because there is no possible way you can fully "check off" the attraction since it keeps chaning! It is maddening and fantastic at the same time! Ha!

I LOVE this picture of Test Track! The sky is awesome!!

I loved your Vinylmations story too...how fun! I am betting my kids will want to get into the Pin trading when we go there again...oh yeah, that will be in 230 days! Horray for a trip planned!!

Anyway, can't wait to read your final installment of your trip...then of course what I assume will be subsequent trip reports as well! :)

joanna71985

By the time we exited Tatooine Traders the line was snaking through the entire outdoor queue. Great timing on our part! I’m not gonna lie, part of what made the ride so great for me was our quest to ride it during a soft opening. There’s something to be said for the buzzing excitement surrounding the place as we walked through the queue. You’ve gotta love small victories!

You should have seen it on opening day :lookaroun

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Oh, man Holly! I am embarrassed to say on my last trip, I had NO CLUE what "THE BOX" was!! :lol: Next trip, my brother (read:me) will love doing this Vinylmation thing.

Love the trip report and photos, as always m'dear! :sohappy:

lisak09

Another amazing TR! Character Heaven:). When we were there in August my nine year old daughter started collecting vinylmations. She has that Pluto with the sweater one but we didn't know who it was! Can't wait to tell her:). I've bought a few online to put in her christmas stocking, should keep her going until our next trip August 2012:cry:

Ariel484

Oh man...those Flame Tree onion rings look deeeeeelicious. :slurp:

That's so funny that you got sucked into the Vinylmation craze! Sneaky, sneaky Disney...they sure know how to get us to part with our money. :lol:

plaz10

OK lets talk Vinylmation.

I think most of them appear a bit creepy. But some are super cute. Bill's mom bought Bill an Oogie Boogie Vinylmation at the Disney store for Xmas last year. While it's cute and yes Bill likes NBC (but no more than any other Disney film but we appreciate his mom trying here) but we thought "what the hell are we gonna do with this?"

We did 2 things w/it. #1 it was a Halloween decoration. But then it morphed into #2 - a game. We would each hide Oogie somewhere the other would find him. In the fridge, in the cereal box, in his laptop case, on the treadmill. Always "doing" something different or hiding somewhere.

But this trading thing sounds intriguing (my wallet is cowering with fear). Can you tell me more? :lol: I've never been one to PIN trade (just buy the pin you want and you're done with it.) but I like this idea of buying one and then trading to get an "end game." Hmmmm....

Kristia

I think most of them appear a bit creepy. But some are super cute. Bill's mom bought Bill an Oogie Boogie Vinylmation at the Disney store for Xmas last year. While it's cute and yes Bill likes NBC (but no more than any other Disney film but we appreciate his mom trying here) but we thought "what the hell are we gonna do with this?"

We did 2 things w/it. #1 it was a Halloween decoration. But then it morphed into #2 - a game. We would each hide Oogie somewhere the other would find him. In the fridge, in the cereal box, in his laptop case, on the treadmill. Always "doing" something different or hiding somewhere.

But this trading thing sounds intriguing (my wallet is cowering with fear). Can you tell me more? :lol: I've never been one to PIN trade (just buy the pin you want and you're done with it.) but I like this idea of buying one and then trading to get an "end game." Hmmmm....

I always thought they were a little weird and creepy too! I didn't really see why they were so popular and taking over the stores, but now I am a little intrigued as well. I have never been into the pin craze but this is something that I could see myself doing. Utoh $$$$....:brick: I love your game too! Sounds like something my hubby and I would do.:lol:

BoardwalkGlenn

Day 4 – Sunday, May 15: DHS/Typhoon Lagoon/AK/DTD/Epcot (here, there, and everywhere)

Anywho… we started off the morning with a sit-down breakfast. We just couldn’t help ourselves. :D Seeing as how we didn’t have ADRs anywhere, we figured Kouzzina would be a safe bet, and we were right! We were seated in a near empty restaurant around 8:00am.

We like Kouzzina. We had dinner there almost two years ago and it was good, but I actually think breakfast is where the restaurant shines. We're big fans... case in point:

Kouzzina gets points from me for providing some breakfast options that you can’t get anywhere else. And personally, I’m a big fan of both the chicken and turkey sausage. My two favorites entree items are the vegetable flatbread pizza and the orange pancake with blueberries and granola. :slurp: :slurp: Seriously, this pancake is divine (and something you won’t find anywhere else).

Brett had his usual go-to breakfast meal… the French toast. And they definitely do it up right at Kouzzina, with thick challah bread.

We just had dinner at Kouzzina on our trip (but I don't want to spoil the surprise in my Trip Report:D). I also wanted to go for breakfast but didn't get there...just not enough days!!!

PolynesianPrincess

I'm not sure how I feel about the Vinylmation thing-a-ma-bobbies.... I was never a pin collector either. I buy towels. I like to buy things that are useful and I feel like Vinylmations would just "sit there"... (I type this as a look at a set of Mickey ears that are just "sitting there" on my bureau but I digress...) The trading aspect does seem a little interesting though... You never know which one you're gonna get!! :)

plaz10

I'm not sure how I feel about the Vinylmation thing-a-ma-bobbies.... I was never a pin collector either. I buy towels. I like to buy things that are useful and I feel like Vinylmations would just "sit there"... (I type this as a look at a set of Mickey ears that are just "sitting there" on my bureau but I digress...) The trading aspect does seem a little interesting though... You never know which one you're gonna get!! :)

While we wait for Holly to come back at yell at me for hijacking her thread to post about Vinylmation:lookaroun....

I feel the same way about Vinylmation. But I'm thinking that I'd try it. Pick an "end game" (ONLY ONE...I tell myself) and then the game is trying to find it.

My luck...I'd find the one I wanted 2 trades in and be FORCED :lol: to pick another end game and find it.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
I'm exhausted!! You guys accomplished so much in one day! I'm extremely impressed.

I'm so glad your Star Tours stalking paid off. And I'm even gladder(?) to know that you get the same headache that I do after simulators, and you braved it anyway! Everyone's had such good things to say about the new ST, that I might just have to try it next trip... and bring some extra aspirin, just in case.

Stop with the super cute vinylmation photos! I DO NOT need another collection to spend money on! I'm pretty excited about that Prince John one though... Good call on end gaming.

Yeah, I didn’t realize how much we actually accomplished until I went to write about this particular day.

My tip of the day regarding Star Tours 2.0… try to get in the back row if you’re prone to motion sickness. I rode it more recently in the very front row and the simulation definitely was harder to take!

Oh yeah… we didn’t even know Prince John existed, so when the CM pulled him out of the box, we were super excited!

I can say i've eaten at Studio Catering Co. more than once in my time. Sadly whenever my family gets hungry we always end up being closest to that quick service. It's nothing special but you can't complain when your starving.

Great trip report! I can' imagine fitting so much into one day. Seems impossible.

Okay, so that’s two people who’ve eaten there and given it so-so reviews! I think we’ll continue to steer clear. But I’ve got to agree with you, when you’re hungry, you’re hungry!

Having access to a vehicle is what made it possible for us to accomplish so much.

Oh my word, you did a lot that day!! I'm so glad Star Tours didn't disappoint!

Your vinylmation trading was awesome. My kids goal in trading is to get one they don't have, and nothing to "girly" for Ds.

Great pictures as usual!

Great VM trading goals – nothing girly, got it! :lol: Thanks, Tammy!

Just caught up, and WOW...you guys know how to do it right! I can't believe everything you did over those few days.

Two of my boys and myself are heading down for a long weekend in December, I only hope we can squeeze as much in.

My "older metabolism" screams with jealousy at all of the great tasting food you guys eat. Sigh...I must apparently live vicariously through you and others that post all the food pics!

That should be a really fun trip – and I bet you’ll accomplish quite a bit with their ages!

The good thing about eating at Disney World, is having all those parks to walk it off in!

Whew! What a jam-packed day.

I must say I admire your Star Tours 2.0 stalking. I remember doing this for Spaceship Earth back when it had it's refurb. Glad to know you had a good ride even though you're not fond of simulators. (Can't wait to ride this in February!)

Stalking the ride opening actually made the whole thing that much more fun for me. I’m not a huge Star Wars fan, nor am I a simulator fan, so the quest for a soft opening was as much fun for me as the ride itself!

Gypsy and Slim looked so awesome! When I saw the picture of Slim for some reason it wasn't what I expected. I figured he might be as tall as say, Goofy rather than the size of the Tapestry of Nations parade characters. Still -- very, very cool! I think also the fact that Gypsy and Slim are rare to see makes them even cooler.

Oooh...you've been sucked into Vinylmation! You got some really good characters though. Hmm...maybe I should look into -- no, no, no...I'll stick with pins and WDW t-shirts.

Yeah I was amazed by Gypsy’s wingspan! Beautiful. And you’re right, the fact that they’re rare makes them even cooler.

Oh yeah… wait until the next report – the VM trading gets a little more intense! I’m still on the quest for my ultimate “end game” Stitch. I’m sure I’ll find him one day!

Thanks for your comments! I am still a question mark on the cruise. Most likely we'll be right in the middle of moving...or something related to moving. Good things going on in this household though.

I'm so enjoying your TR and sad to see it rounding a curve toward it's end! That is never fun.

Glad that you got to ride Star Tours! I can't wait to experience this ride, and hopefully multiple times! The different sequences gets me because there is no possible way you can fully "check off" the attraction since it keeps chaning! It is maddening and fantastic at the same time! Ha!

I agree… it was so smart of Disney to utilize different sequences with this ride. One of the reasons why I love the Tower so much is because you can never predict whether it’s going to go up or down when you first lock into the elevator shaft!

I LOVE this picture of Test Track! The sky is awesome!!

I loved your Vinylmations story too...how fun! I am betting my kids will want to get into the Pin trading when we go there again...oh yeah, that will be in 230 days! Horray for a trip planned!!

Anyway, can't wait to read your final installment of your trip...then of course what I assume will be subsequent trip reports as well!

OMG! I didn’t know you had another trip on the horizon, being that you’re all the way on the west coast these days. The boys would love VM trading… just sayin!

You should have seen it on opening day

I can only imagine!

Oh, man Holly! I am embarrassed to say on my last trip, I had NO CLUE what "THE BOX" was!! :lol: Next trip, my brother (read:me) will love doing this Vinylmation thing.

Love the trip report and photos, as always m'dear!

Amber! Your brother will totally love VM trading. Wink! Wink! :lol:

Another amazing TR! Character Heaven:). When we were there in August my nine year old daughter started collecting vinylmations. She has that Pluto with the sweater one but we didn't know who it was! Can't wait to tell her:). I've bought a few online to put in her christmas stocking, should keep her going until our next trip August 2012

OMG! Vinylmation stocking stuffers… love that idea! Doesn’t that particular Vinylmation get so much cuter when you know that it’s Pluto?!!

Oh man...those Flame Tree onion rings look deeeeeelicious. :slurp:

That's so funny that you got sucked into the Vinylmation craze! Sneaky, sneaky Disney...they sure know how to get us to part with our money.

Mmmm… those Flame Tree onion rings WERE definitely deeeeelicious!

Oh yeah… Disney knows how to suck us in!

But this trading thing sounds intriguing (my wallet is cowering with fear). Can you tell me more? I've never been one to PIN trade (just buy the pin you want and you're done with it.) but I like this idea of buying one and then trading to get an "end game." Hmmmm....

First… I love that you guys played “hide the oogie boogie” with your VM. Who doesn’t want to find a bag of bugs in their cereal box?! :lol: I LOVE this idea.

I’ve never been a pin trader either. Like you, we pick out one we like and we buy it. Then we put it on the corkboard in the kitchen and that’s that. But the VM trading is quite fun and addicting. Here’s the thing… after a while you start to see the exact same VMs in every single box when you trade. Sadly, the box is full of all kinds of rejects, so in the off chance that you find a rare one – it becomes super exciting!!

I say try it! Do it – you know you want to! :D

I always thought they were a little weird and creepy too! I didn't really see why they were so popular and taking over the stores, but now I am a little intrigued as well. I have never been into the pin craze but this is something that I could see myself doing. Utoh $$$$.... I love your game too! Sounds like something my hubby and I would do

I’m going to say it again… Do it – you know you want to! :D

We just had dinner at Kouzzina on our trip (but I don't want to spoil the surprise in my Trip Report). I also wanted to go for breakfast but didn't get there...just not enough days!!!

Oooh… I need to go check out your trip report!

I'm not sure how I feel about the Vinylmation thing-a-ma-bobbies.... I was never a pin collector either. I buy towels. I like to buy things that are useful and I feel like Vinylmations would just "sit there"... (I type this as a look at a set of Mickey ears that are just "sitting there" on my bureau but I digress...) The trading aspect does seem a little interesting though... You never know which one you're gonna get!!

I’m totally with you on the fact that they just “sit there” but we found that we got our monies worth out of the actually act of trading. I have one sitting on my desk at work, and others on a bookshelf at home.

While we wait for Holly to come back at yell at me for hijacking her thread to post about Vinylmation

I feel the same way about Vinylmation. But I'm thinking that I'd try it. Pick an "end game" (ONLY ONE...I tell myself) and then the game is trying to find it.

My luck...I'd find the one I wanted 2 trades in and be FORCED to pick another end game and find it.

Hijack away, my friend! I love it when actual conversations develop in my trip reports!

Funny you mentioned that your luck would be that you’d find the one you wanted two trades in and then be forced to buy another, because that definitely happens! $$$

HollyBelle

Original Poster
My apologies for the delay... Brett and I spent the weekend concert hopping in Atlanta... Katie Herzig, Butterfly Boucher and Feist! Fabulous shows.

I should have the final update posted tonight!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Oh wow, Butterfly Boucher and Feist? That is so awesome! :D

Erin! I'm so excited to find someone who knows Butterfly's music! A lot of her songs have become favorites for my run mix. She actually opened for Katie Herzig at a little hole in the wall type bar in Atlanta... it was one of the best shows. If you don't know who Katie Herzig is, do yourself a favor and check out her most recent album "The Waking Sleep." It has found it's way onto my Best Albums Ever list - and that's no easy feat.

And yeah, Feist was just as amazing live as you would expect her to be!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Day 5 – Monday, May 16: MK

We were up, packed, and out of the room by 7:15am on Monday. Big plans this morning… breakfast at the Poly and a little trip down memory lane at the Pointe. :animwink: Swooooon.

Though, I’ve gotta say, you want to know what wasn’t swoonworthy? The poor excuse for strawberry compote they give you with the Tonga toast at Captain Cook’s. The specialty toast downstairs, is easily as good as that you find served upstairs at Kona. However, the strawberry sauce most definitely is not.

IMG_1010.jpg

That’s okay though, it’s not gonna ruin this morning! We still had plenty of time to kill before rope drop at the Magic Kingdom so we wandered out to “our hill.”

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

Brett, checking in with the twitterverse and enjoying his morning coffee:

IMG_1022.jpg

Now that I’m married, gotta say, there’s nothing sexier than a wedding band. :animwink:

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
It was a very chilly morning – surprisingly so for May.

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

On this particular trip out to the Pointe, I just felt this calming sense of content. I love my life!

It was chilly enough that we decided to monorail over to the park instead of going with our original plan to boat over. We made it in time to catch the last minute or two of the opening show.

IMG_1047.jpg

We meandered onto Main Street just as the characters were making their way down from the train station and into the park. The best part about this: we caught Chip and Dale wandering around with a guide map. Fighting over it and trying to figure out which was was up. Hilariousness!

Hello, hubby.

IMG_1049.jpg

First stop was, of course, to meet Miss Duck! And she proceeded to steal Brett from me and waltz him around the flag pole! :eek:

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
I love, love, love, walking up Main Street USA at opening. It’s easily one of my favorite Disney things. Two things: lovely cast members waving “hello” and the Main Street trolley show. Winning combination, right there! On this morning, we only got to experience one of the two.

IMG_1065.jpg

First stop… Space Mountain fastpasses. Second stop… Stitch! He tilted his head a bit and when I mimicked him, it was as if I had challenged him. So he just tilted farther...

IMG_1066.jpg

And farther.

IMG_1067.jpg

And farther.

IMG_1068.jpg

Monkey see, monkey do!?

IMG_1073.jpg

A gloriously empty Tomorrowland makes for very playful characters. Soon after Stitch was done with us, he went to get his copy of the daily news from Robo-Newz.

IMG_1074.jpg

Uh-oh. Stitch escapes.

IMG_1090.jpg

He took it as a sign. A sign that they were on to him and Tomorrowland may no longer be a safe place to hideout. And with that, he was off!

IMG_1087.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Stitch may have left Tomorrowland, but it looks like the chipmunks map led them right to the future.

IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

On Spaceranger Spin, Brett maxed out his gun in the very first room. Show off!

IMG_1099.jpg

We don’t often ride the Astro-Orbiter (I totally hate the elevator load part), but every time we do I laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Seriously… I don’t know if there is another ride that makes me laugh so much. No, wait... the Tower probably makes me laugh the most.

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

We’d been in Tomorrowland far too long at this point without hopping on one of my absolute favorite rides… the TTA. Time to fix that.

IMG_1116.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
By the time we exited the TTA, it was time to cash in our fastpasses. The lights were on in Space Mountain, which kinda ruined the ambiance for Brett. For me, however, it made it all that much scarier. Have you seen the number of steel beams traversing that place?! I thought surely we’d be decapitated at some point. :lol:

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

Unfortunately, it was time to start making our way out of the park. We stopped in the Emporium to pick up one last plush, and couldn’t find the one we were looking for, so we decided we’d just have to stop at DTD on the way out. We grabbed some cookies at the Confectionary and then bid adieu to the Magic Kingdom.

There was a boat pulling up at the dock, so we hopped aboard and made our way to the Polynesian.

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

We stopped at Downtown Disney for two very important purchases, and ended up taking home three.

The first was a little bubbly to be stored away for our first anniversary. Mmm… Fairytale Cuvee.

IMG_1151.jpg

Second, the most adorable Lady.

IMG_1153.jpg

And last, but certainly not least… my very first Pook-a-Looz. That’s right. I’d been eying Sully all week long, and seeing as how he was already 40% off, and I got another 20% off with my premium pass, it was a no brainer. I picked up the flat plush and thus began my newest crazy. Pook Love! It really is too bad they’re being phased out at the Disney parks.

IMG_1156.jpg

Overall, this was a fabulous trip, and exactly what we needed on the heels of our Disneymoon. We were able to meet quite a few rare characters, ride Star Tours 2.0 before the official opening, and celebrate Brett’s graduation - it was the perfect long weekend getaway! Even if we did have to stay at the All-Stars. :lookaroun :lol:

Up next… a quick photo report of my July 2011 work trip, followed by the Wine and Dine Half Marathon report!

Kristia

And last, but certainly not least… my very first Pook-a-Looz. That’s right. I’d been eying Sully all week long, and seeing as how he was already 40% off, and I got another 20% off with my premium pass, it was a no brainer. I picked up the flat plush and thus began my newest crazy. Pook Love! It really is too bad they’re being phased out at the Disney parks.

IMG_1156.jpg

Love Pook-a-Looz! We have a Pluto one! I think I need that Sully one!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom