Tigger Punches Guest??

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks Yoda for remembering the details of that case. I just remember seeing it on dateline or something.
I believe it was dateline where I saw it as well. The 3 people involved were part of a rather large community that made their living off scams like this. The funniest part about the whole thing was it was there greed that did them in. An argument ensued when one of the 3 people in the part's name was not present on the check. Disney withdrew their offer and turned it over to the police.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
When Michael Jackson was first accused of molestation, the settlement was so huge, THAT implied guilt. That implied a public figure who really needed this problem to just go away.

Actually, when it comes to this situation, my thinking is if it's a piddling amount of money, it has the opposite effect. It doesn't imply guilt on Disney's part, it doesn't even imply that Disney considers it a serious problem that it wants to just go away.

What it implies is that this is not worthy of Disney's concern, that they know the Monacos are after a payday, and offering them such a low sum implies just that, that the Monacos always wanted money after the incident occurred (and after they claimed they only wanted to apologize). After taxes and lawyer's fees, the Monacos wouldn't even have enough to cover a mortgage payment, let alone the big bucks they thought they were gonna get. And the backlash they've received and will continue to receive (especially that kid at the hands of classmates who know that he can't even handle himself with a guy in a Tigger costume) will make them SO wish they never contacted the media.

I understand the desire, the ethic, the moral stand to not want to give this family one thin dime. But I also understand that karma works in strange and awe-inspiring ways, and sometimes, there are ways to help karma along a little quicker. You can give people enough rope to hang themselves, and I'd bet a shiny red apple if the Monacos were offered a 3 grand settlement, with the knowledge that theyir lives would become incredibly miserable if they didn't accept it, within weeks they'll regret ever asking for anything.

Offering ANY amount of money (piddling or not) always implies some level of blame and accountability. Disney is pretty good about protecting themselves legally. They hardly ever settle out of court. I think any settlement in this case would only show that the Monacos' claim has merit.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
When Michael Jackson was first accused of molestation, the settlement was so huge, THAT implied guilt. That implied a public figure who really needed this problem to just go away.

Actually, when it comes to this situation, my thinking is if it's a piddling amount of money, it has the opposite effect. It doesn't imply guilt on Disney's part, it doesn't even imply that Disney considers it a serious problem that it wants to just go away.

What it implies is that this is not worthy of Disney's concern, that they know the Monacos are after a payday, and offering them such a low sum implies just that, that the Monacos always wanted money after the incident occurred (and after they claimed they only wanted to apologize). After taxes and lawyer's fees, the Monacos wouldn't even have enough to cover a mortgage payment, let alone the big bucks they thought they were gonna get. And the backlash they've received and will continue to receive (especially that kid at the hands of classmates who know that he can't even handle himself with a guy in a Tigger costume) will make them SO wish they never contacted the media.

I understand the desire, the ethic, the moral stand to not want to give this family one thin dime. But I also understand that karma works in strange and awe-inspiring ways, and sometimes, there are ways to help karma along a little quicker. You can give people enough rope to hang themselves, and I'd bet a shiny red apple if the Monacos were offered a 3 grand settlement, with the knowledge that theyir lives would become incredibly miserable if they didn't accept it, within weeks they'll regret ever asking for anything.
I agree but what worries me is how the media will spin it. There is no real way for the media to spin "Our cast member did nothing wrong and we have evidence to prove it. See you in court" On the flip side there are a million ways to spin "Disney awarded the Monacos $3000 in an out of court settlement" and most of them are bad.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
I agree but what worries me is how the media will spin it. There is no real way for the media to spin "Our cast member did nothing wrong and we have evidence to prove it. See you in court" On the flip side there are a million ways to spin "Disney awarded the Monacos $3000 in an out of court settlement" and most of them are bad.

Exactly!

Jekyll

Of course Disney could just go and say ok fine this $3000.00 is a refund for your trip. Never come here again.

The Mom

Premium Member
I'm also posting a warning in THIS Tigger thread. I will not tolerate any out and out arguing.

Fair Warning!

mrtoad

I'm also posting a warning in THIS Tigger thread. I will not tolerate any out and out arguing.

Fair Warning!

I agree though. Discussion is good, debate is good, different opinions are good but out right fighting makes for a bad place to be.

Jekyll

Giving a refund implies that services weren't rendered as promised. It's still admitting responsibility.

Agreed. But in the grand sceem of thing Disney will want to push past all this. I can only hope that the CM will not be found at fault. Look at the case of in approprate touching. Can you actually see out of that head to be able to hit someone?

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
Agreed. But in the grand sceem of thing Disney will want to push past all this. I can only hope that the CM will not be found at fault. Look at the case of in approprate touching. Can you actually see out of that head to be able to hit someone?

I'm sure Disney is not happy at all about this negative publicity. From a legal standpoint, they are liable if the CM is found guilty (assuming it even goes to court as others have pointed out), but from all other standpoints, Disney is kind of the "innocent bystander" here caught in the crossfire of all of this. Nevertheless, I have always thought that the position Disney takes in legal matters is the wise one, in that they almost always will fight lawsuits. This is smart because if they generally settled out of court, I'm sure they would have 100 times more lawsuits than they do have.

Jekyll

I'm sure they would have 100 times more lawsuits than they do have.

I agree with you here. They would be hit with more and the last time the lawsuit went to trial and the CM was found innocent and reinstated. This maybe the case here. We really haven't heard from the CM yet. I'm sure his side of the story will be interesting. Unless we have and I have caught that thread.

GothMickey

Well he's had plenty of time now to make up something really good. :lol: :lol:

Same can be said about the father. He took 30 hours to seek medical attention and another 10 hours after that to file the report. WOW. Talk about time to make up a story huh? Not to sound mean, but you need to learn how Disney works. The CM CANNOT speak to the media to tell his side. And if you really did follow up, in 2 days his union spoke for him, which is the ONLY way a CM's voice can be heard. So, the CM did speak.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom