Tigger Punches Guest??

GothMickey

And in the meantime, the family is being tried and convicted on these boards.

:brick: This is the result of RUNNING to the media and releasing an EDITED version of the video footage to TRY to support their claim.... HOWEVER, by watching the FULL version, you would convict them too... Such is the life of someone looking for 15 minutes of fame.. You put your face out there, expect to be bashed.... And they deserve to be bashed....

Jekyll

And in the meantime, the family is being tried and convicted on these boards.

To be honest Chapps, did you see the video. The kid required pain medication for that? I've been punched hard in the face and didn't need so much as a asprin the next day.

wannabeBelle

I'm sure Disney is not happy at all about this negative publicity. From a legal standpoint, they are liable if the CM is found guilty (assuming it even goes to court as others have pointed out), but from all other standpoints, Disney is kind of the "innocent bystander" here caught in the crossfire of all of this. Nevertheless, I have always thought that the position Disney takes in legal matters is the wise one, in that they almost always will fight lawsuits. This is smart because if they generally settled out of court, I'm sure they would have 100 times more lawsuits than they do have.

I couldnt agree more!!!!!!!!! Belle

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
To be honest Chapps, did you see the video. The kid required pain medication for that? I've been punched hard in the face and didn't need so much as a asprin the next day.

I've seen every version of the video that seems to be available online. I've seen the full version, the short version, the slow motion version, the full motion version and even a few spoofs. I've even seen a couple of versions where the video is being analyzed by various people.

As I've stated before, and will (sigh) state again...I'm not saying the family hasn't blown this out of proportion. The perspective I'm trying to get people to see here, though, is that we seem to automatically be taking the CM's side and frying the kid and his family. Most of the arguments against the kid and the family have been things like, "Did you notice the gloves he was wearing?", or "Did you see how he was smiling?", or "Did you hear the dad's trashy accent? That proves he's guilty!". I've also read all these statements from members stating that you "can clearly see" the kid is pulling on the back of the Tigger costume. Sorry, but I've watched the video numerous times, specifically looking for that. And although I'm not ruling out the possibility, I'd hardly say that you "can clearly see" what the kid is doing.

At the same time, I can completely understand the mindset that drives us to stand up for the CM. I agree that the CMs (particularly the costumed ones) do take a lot of abuse from guests, and that's horrible. But the sad truth is that's no excuse to lash out at a guest in anger. If the CM was truly just defending himself because he couldn't breathe (another point that I certainly would not rule out), and that resulted in accidental physical contact with the guest, then of course I would not blame the CM.

Bottom line is that I'm not drawing any conclusions here, as I feel a lot of members reading this thread have already done. All we have to go on are the two sides of the story, and what we saw on the video with our own eyes. To me, it does look like the slapping of the guest was intentional. But of course I can't say for sure. My theory would be that the CM was having a bad day and maybe had been encountering some rude guests prior to this, and he just snapped. If so, then I don't believe he should be in that job.

So to answer the question regarding how hard the slap was, I really don't think that's relevant. No, I don't think it looked like it was hard enough to truly cause any serious physical injury (which is why I stated that I do think the family is blowing it out of proportion). But a slap from an employee to a guest (hard or soft) is unacceptable if it was intentionally done merely out of anger or annoyance.

Something else I'll state again, as I've done before, is that I don't blame Disney at all for this. It is BECAUSE of my love for Disney that I'm not happy with the CM for making them (and the Tigger character...who happens to be my favorite Disney character) look bad.

slappy magoo

I'm sure Disney is not happy at all about this negative publicity. From a legal standpoint, they are liable if the CM is found guilty (assuming it even goes to court as others have pointed out), but from all other standpoints, Disney is kind of the "innocent bystander" here caught in the crossfire of all of this. Nevertheless, I have always thought that the position Disney takes in legal matters is the wise one, in that they almost always will fight lawsuits. This is smart because if they generally settled out of court, I'm sure they would have 100 times more lawsuits than they do have.

But, see that's where I could possibly disagree with you. Again, my opinion, but I don't think they would be hit with 100 times more lawsuits if the settlement offer was so low (and included an agreement that the litigant never steps foot on Disney property again), even the most ardent of con artists wouldn't see the value in it.

I know some people have suspected that the Monacos planned the whole thing from the get-go. Though I'm certainly glad I'm not in that family, I don't think something like this could be planned out, because there's no way to know in advance how the CM in the costume would react, how security would react. A lot of unknown variables. I think things just happened as they happened, and then when the Monacos saw the footage their eyes went "Ka-ching!" thinking they could manipulate it to their advantage. In a sense they got "lucky" that they got as much questionable footage as they did. Most people do not get that lucky. Whether they claim that they slipped on a wet floor in an Epcot bathroom, or found cockroaches in their food, or were discriminated against by a bus driver, or what have you, the litigant usually has the burden of proof, they have to prove they were wronged and injured. If Disney sets a precedent for offering ridiculously low sums in a settlement, AND the litigant can never go back, the only people who are ever going to sue are people who are either crazy and crave attention and those are the types of people who tend to implode, OR people who truly feel that they were wronged. I think it'll weed out a good chunk of the shifty and greedy, because in the long run, it's just not worth it. No return on investment.

joanna71985

I've seen every version of the video that seems to be available online. I've seen the full version, the short version, the slow motion version, the full motion version and even a few spoofs. I've even seen a couple of versions where the video is being analyzed by various people.

As I've stated before, and will (sigh) state again...I'm not saying the family hasn't blown this out of proportion. The perspective I'm trying to get people to see here, though, is that we seem to automatically be taking the CM's side and frying the kid and his family. Most of the arguments against the kid and the family have been things like, "Did you notice the gloves he was wearing?", or "Did you see how he was smiling?", or "Did you hear the dad's trashy accent? That proves he's guilty!". I've also read all these statements from members stating that you "can clearly see" the kid is pulling on the back of the Tigger costume. Sorry, but I've watched the video numerous times, specifically looking for that. And although I'm not ruling out the possibility, I'd hardly say that you "can clearly see" what the kid is doing.

At the same time, I can completely understand the mindset that drives us to stand up for the CM. I agree that the CMs (particularly the costumed ones) do take a lot of abuse from guests, and that's horrible. But the sad truth is that's no excuse to lash out at a guest in anger. If the CM was truly just defending himself because he couldn't breathe (another point that I certainly would not rule out), and that resulted in accidental physical contact with the guest, then of course I would not blame the CM.

Bottom line is that I'm not drawing any conclusions here, as I feel a lot of members reading this thread have already done. All we have to go on are the two sides of the story, and what we saw on the video with our own eyes. To me, it does look like the slapping of the guest was intentional. But of course I can't say for sure. My theory would be that the CM was having a bad day and maybe had been encountering some rude guests prior to this, and he just snapped. If so, then I don't believe he should be in that job.

So to answer the question regarding how hard the slap was, I really don't think that's relevant. No, I don't think it looked like it was hard enough to truly cause any serious physical injury (which is why I stated that I do think the family is blowing it out of proportion). But a slap from an employee to a guest (hard or soft) is unacceptable if it was intentionally done merely out of anger or annoyance.

Something else I'll state again, as I've done before, is that I don't blame Disney at all for this. It is BECAUSE of my love for Disney that I'm not happy with the CM for making them (and the Tigger character...who happens to be my favorite Disney character) look bad.

What?! I'm sorry, but that's just crazy. I know many, many characters and they don't just go around hitting people if they have had a bad day (and trust me, we all do).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CiPPxBxPBOw&mode=related&search=

I don't know if anyone has seen that video from fox, but it shows a closer shot of the boy "hugging" tigger. You can see his hand grab what seems to be the back of tiggers neck. I hope the cops see this soon.

isthatahand.jpg

Poor tigger. I'm sure you all know of this already but I just noticed the little detail right now sadly. lol

figmentmom

Disney doesn't screw around with false claims. Does anyone remember a while back when the woman falsely claimed rape on property. And it was some eleborate sceam to get money? Disney went after her big time.

That was rape, this is an acidental hit with a padded paw. My guess is that it will be thrown out of the court, the family will look like idiots coast to coast (oh, wait, they do ALREADY! :lol: ), and that will be the end of the matter.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
What?! I'm sorry, but that's just crazy. I know many, many characters and they don't just go around hitting people if they have had a bad day (and trust me, we all do).

The vast majority of CMs are awesome and are definitely in the right job. But that's not true of all of them.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
But, see that's where I could possibly disagree with you. Again, my opinion, but I don't think they would be hit with 100 times more lawsuits if the settlement offer was so low (and included an agreement that the litigant never steps foot on Disney property again), even the most ardent of con artists wouldn't see the value in it.

I know some people have suspected that the Monacos planned the whole thing from the get-go. Though I'm certainly glad I'm not in that family, I don't think something like this could be planned out, because there's no way to know in advance how the CM in the costume would react, how security would react. A lot of unknown variables. I think things just happened as they happened, and then when the Monacos saw the footage their eyes went "Ka-ching!" thinking they could manipulate it to their advantage. In a sense they got "lucky" that they got as much questionable footage as they did. Most people do not get that lucky. Whether they claim that they slipped on a wet floor in an Epcot bathroom, or found cockroaches in their food, or were discriminated against by a bus driver, or what have you, the litigant usually has the burden of proof, they have to prove they were wronged and injured. If Disney sets a precedent for offering ridiculously low sums in a settlement, AND the litigant can never go back, the only people who are ever going to sue are people who are either crazy and crave attention and those are the types of people who tend to implode, OR people who truly feel that they were wronged. I think it'll weed out a good chunk of the shifty and greedy, because in the long run, it's just not worth it. No return on investment.

I don't think it would be a strategy that would work in the long run. Let's say they offered a settlement that was insultingly low and the family thought they could get more out of Disney if they sued. Well now Disney would have hurt their credibility because the family would now be able to say, "They offered to settle, which means they know we have a case". Some would interpret it as an admission of guilt.

isitingood

I don't think it would be a strategy that would work in the long run. Let's say they offered a settlement that was insultingly low and the family thought they could get more out of Disney if they sued. Well now Disney would have hurt their credibility because the family would now be able to say, "They offered to settle, which means they know we have a case". Some would interpret it as an admission of guilt.

I agree offering a settlement is admission of guilt. Everyone knows about this world wide now so offering a settlement to keep quiet won't work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom