Space Mountain Refurbishment Info

Animaniac93-98

They didn`t, due to flawed designs of the entrance and signage - look how often it changed. TDO Admitted this. Now look at the size of the MI sign (and the SGE sign too)

They used to have a banner for Timekeeper hanging outside the ride visible from when you entered the land. Why did they get rid of it?

Jasonflz

They used to have a banner for Timekeeper hanging outside the ride visible from when you entered the land. Why did they get rid of it?

It was moved to seasonal. The attraction would only open on major holidays when there was more guests in the park. I think it even opened once but was kept off, letting guests walk through it.

Jasonflz

They didn`t, due to flawed designs of the entrance and signage - look how often it changed. TDO Admitted this. Now look at the size of the MI sign (and the SGE sign too)

True. Most guests passed right by without ever knowing it was there. The fact that you had to stand up the whole show didn't really help for the guests who did. It leads me to wonder why Canada and Reflections of China are not suffering the same way.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It leads me to wonder why Canada and Reflections of China are not suffering the same way.
Possibly because this shows the flaw with TK wasn`t no seats, more it`s sign package.

The original entrance with minimal signage, the added banner and rotating LED display, one of many added sandwich boards, and the actual rather bland entrance:

Attachments

• timekeeper_001web.jpg
    timekeeper_001web.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 11724P6130008web.jpg
    11724P6130008web.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 43
  • TK open just.jpg
    TK open just.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 40

Jasonflz

One big mistake was that the banner was placed in the middle of the 'spaceship' when it should have been placed on the other side so people entering Tomorrowland would see it.

Jasonflz

I really miss Timekeeper. Some of my best memories of Disney were on that ride. It was always a family favorite so seeing gone is depressing. I did Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor and was far from impressed. To me, that's one attraction that I will never visit again. Even SGE has a re-ridability factor. MILF is just weak in execution, although that's just my opinion.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I hope the Disney execs are reading through this thread so they can hear how STUPID everyone thinks they are. AE was top notch and they put the worst possible attraction in place. Yeah, good going to whoever decided that!

Well, going a bit too far, yes? I don't think Disney execs are STUPID. I just think they made a bad decision. People can make bad decisions without being stupid.

Timekeeper was a classic attraction. For the most part, it would get busy every now and then. The reason for occasional lack of guests was because alot of people didn't know it there, or even open. Disney kept it on the seasonal short leash. MILF is okay but it should be at least in a more fitting place.

I liked Timekeeper, but I think MILF is a good replacement.

If a classic, Timekeeper was a pretty darned new classic. I, for one, loved it, but I do enjoy MILFCC. The fact that the show is different each time means it doesn't lose as much on rerides. The technology is slick, and the humor, while uneven, seems to be getting better over time as the Monsters learn what makes hot tired tourists laugh. As for the placement, yes, it'd work better in Pixar Place, but the land has changed it's theme over the years. It is now really a Sci-Fi Fantasyland, so this works. Only CoP feels like the original tomorrowland theme.

Timekeeper did indeed suffer from poor signage and other problems, but don't forget, it has closed in Paris and Tokyo as well. Apparently, it just wasn't as popular as we think it should have been.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I really miss Timekeeper. Some of my best memories of Disney were on that ride. It was always a family favorite so seeing gone is depressing. I did Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor and was far from impressed. To me, that's one attraction that I will never visit again. Even SGE has a re-ridability factor. MILF is just weak in execution, although that's just my opinion.

SGE has no reridability factor to me. It's bad the first time, and knowing what's going to happen doesn't make it better.

Jasonflz

Well, going a bit too far, yes? I don't think Disney execs are STUPID. I just think they made a bad decision. People can make bad decisions without being stupid.

If a classic, Timekeeper was a pretty darned new classic. I, for one, loved it, but I do enjoy MILFCC. The fact that the show is different each time means it doesn't lose as much on rerides. The technology is slick, and the humor, while uneven, seems to be getting better over time as the Monsters learn what makes hot tired tourists laugh. As for the placement, yes, it'd work better in Pixar Place, but the land has changed it's theme over the years. It is now really a Sci-Fi Fantasyland, so this works. Only CoP feels like the original tomorrowland theme.

Timekeeper did indeed suffer from poor signage and other problems, but don't forget, it has closed in Paris and Tokyo as well. Apparently, it just wasn't as popular as we think it should have been.

Actually I agree with you. MILF, however, has received lots of negative critiscism from regular guests. What I meant by not being re-ridable is that it just isn't interesting to ride. I really don't care for sitting down 20 minutes to listen to a couple of jokes and it certainly isn't something that I want to do at Magic Kingdom. Like I said before, that's just my opinion.

Jasonflz

SGE has no reridability factor to me. It's bad the first time, and knowing what's going to happen doesn't make it better.

:lol: I agree. SGE is an awful attraction for what it's worth. It's corny, badly written, and horribly executed. I like to ride it over again because it is just interesting to experience. MILF is just really boring for me to sit through, as I am not a fan of Monsters Inc. or any of those interactive shows. I did get at least three good laughs out of it though.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Timekeeper did indeed suffer from poor signage and other problems, but don't forget, it has closed in Paris and Tokyo as well.
It closed in Paris since Buzz was moved from a more expensive WDSP location to Discoveryland when EDL were offered a cheaper clone of the fit-in-a-CV-Theatre DL version :wave:

Jasonflz

It closed in Paris since Buzz was moved from a more expensive WDSP location to Discoveryland when EDL were offered a cheaper clone of the fit-in-a-CV-Theatre DL version :wave:

Is DLRP's Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters on 2 floors? I can't see how it can fit in that circular building.

alecshawn

Im so happy WDW is doing all these refurbs.
Didnt it all start with POTC? Then we had H.M. SSE and just recently UofE even got a light redo. Small world,etc
WDW is doing fantastic with all the improvements.
keep it comin!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is DLRP's Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters on 2 floors? I can't see how it can fit in that circular building.
Nope. Single floor. I was surprised how they made it fit too. It`s longer than the WDW version. It`s funny as you walk the queue and the floor ramps up to a higher level at load to accomodate the Omnimover ride system.

Jasonflz

Nope. Single floor. I was surprised how they made it fit too. It`s longer than the WDW version. It`s funny as you walk the queue and the floor ramps up to a higher level at load to accomodate the Omnimover ride system.

To be honest, that really sounds like it defies every law of the universe. Le visionarium's building is pretty large though so I guess it could work.

magicmaya

I think space mountain is actually getting new cars.My uncle and aunt went to disney in march and I told my uncle to complain about SM to the CM's.My Uncle is 6'4" and the bar didn't come down far enough and he felt like he was about to fal out of his seat.At the end of the ride, he went up to the CM and complained and the CM said, "Disney ordered new seats for space mountain! They are supposed to be similar to disneyland with single seating with the same color and more room."That's exactily what the CM said! This is not a rumor people!

krankenstein

I think space mountain is actually getting new cars.My uncle and aunt went to disney in march and I told my uncle to complain about SM to the CM's.My Uncle is 6'4" and the bar didn't come down far enough and he felt like he was about to fal out of his seat.At the end of the ride, he went up to the CM and complained and the CM said, "Disney ordered new seats for space mountain! They are supposed to be similar to disneyland with single seating with the same color and more room."That's exactily what the CM said! This is not a rumor people!

I'm going to tell you something that you will learn very quickly once in the community. Everything is a rumor until the opening of the attraction happens and even after it opens new rumors will keep popping up. Take nothing you hear as absolute truth until you see actual video or photographic evidence of it.

magicmaya

I'm going to tell you something that you will learn very quickly once in the community. Everything is a rumor until the opening of the attraction happens and even after it opens new rumors will keep popping up. Take nothing you hear as absolute truth until you see actual video or photographic evidence of it.

thanks 4 the advice.So it is a rumor...

SirGoofy

Haha, believe me, not all CM's are the most reliable sources.

And if Shaq can fit in those cars, anyone can.:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom