Space Mountain Heading to the Scrap Heap :)

DisneyPrincess5

Just squint at this photo, and imagine it on a bigger scale and without quite so much support removal.:lol:
SMDemo4-2.JPG
Oooooo!
Thanks for the picture.
Can't wait til it reopens!

Dskipper

its not the track

the track its self has nothing to do with how smooooth the ride is unless they add sharp sharp turns. not like there are pot holes out on the track, it has to do with how old the cars are and how the guide wheels are set on the old cars. the new cars or new guide wheels (we are not to sure about the new cars thingy they might be just refitting the old ones) will run on the track different which will give for a different ride experence. the lift area will always be kind of slugish. any chain lift will be like that because of the anti roll back. only way the main lift would be smoth is if it was like ee and the anti roll backs are electronicly held back by magnets. dought that will happen for such a light cars. but if you liked the ride before then you will still like the ride. there not going to mess it up. now the que area if you like soarin que you will like sm new que if you hate it, then u are going to hate it. of course it will be stuff about space and not nature. like i said changes will be kind of small most things you will not even know about. unless you have ever been stuck up in the ride area for 20 30 minutes just sitting there then you will really like the changes because that should be no more.

Lee

Adventurer
MousDad said:
Lee, Martin - I can't remember, but were you told complete track replacement or just sections?
I was told both..by different people at different times. Same for Martin, I think.
That's an example of how vague and limited all the info on this refurb has been.

Dskipper said:
but if you liked the ride before then you will still like the ride. there not going to mess it up.
And if we thought it was a heap of junk before......

SirGoofy

but if you liked the ride before then you will still like the ride. there not going to mess it up. now the que area if you like soarin que you will like sm new que if you hate it, then u are going to hate it. of course it will be stuff about space and not nature. like i said changes will be kind of small most things you will not even know about.

Please, by all means Disney, mess it up.:brick:

Lee

Adventurer
Please, by all means Disney, mess it up.:brick:
Hah! Good one.
Serioiusly, I'm not pre-judging it...but if I don't walk off the ride next time going "Wow!" (In a positive way...) I'm gonna be an unhappy camper. Might even fire off another email to Phil.:lol:

Jasonflz

Hah! Good one.
Serioiusly, I'm not pre-judging it...but if I don't walk off the ride next time going "Wow!" (In a positive way...) I'm gonna be an unhappy camper. Might even fire off another email to Phil.:lol:

What was the first?:lol:

SirGoofy

Hah! Good one.

I know I will certainly be leaving him a nice voice mail, if that is the case.

Lee

Adventurer
What was the first?:lol:

It was a kind, gentle sort of communication, urging him to not screw up this chance to give SM the refurb it deserves so that it may once again take it's place as MK's greatest E-ticket.

Got some attention in the MK offices, I hear.
Made a difference?
Likely not. But I wanted them to know, "I'm watching you!"
(Insert photo of Blondie Otis here.)

jt04

It was a kind, gentle sort of communication, urging him to not screw up this chance to give SM the refurb it deserves so that it may once again take it's place as MK's greatest E-ticket.

Got some attention in the MK offices, I hear.
Made a difference?
Likely not. But I wanted them to know, "I'm watching you!"
(Insert photo of Blondie Otis here.)

I'm watching too. It is not only the iconic attraction at WDW. It is the iconic attraction at the iconic Disney theme park so let's just hope this refurb lives up to that challange.

A picture of what has been removed from the mountain would, in this case more than any other, literally be worth a 1000 words.

SirGoofy

You know, this honestly could shift a lot of guests to Universal.

A possible lackluster redo of an iconic ride, coupled with the debut of a groundbreaking Uni attraction could spell very bad things for Disney.

Eh, who am I kidding, people are gonna go to Disney no matter what.:brick:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Lee, Martin - I can't remember, but were you told complete track replacement or just sections?
Both. After the complete gutting was dropped I was told partial, with mainly smoothing off of the original track. Then I was told virtually total track replacement.

I see Lee heard the same too.

the lift area will always be kind of slugish. any chain lift will be like that because of the anti roll back. only way the main lift would be smoth is if it was like ee and the anti roll backs are electronicly held back by magnets. dought that will happen for such a light cars.

One thing we were both told was all 4 chain lifts are being swapped for `silent` types like Everest. Dosn`t matter how light the refurbed cars are (not light enough for SoundTracker evidently) it`s being done for show.

jt04

Both. After the complete gutting was dropped I was told partial, with mainly smoothing off of the original track. Then I was told virtually total track replacement.

I just can't believe after all these years the supports are still usable. Especially if they have plans to smooth out and bank the track. I would bet on all new steel as I have said but then I never would have thought SSE would have happened the way it has so who knows? Where are those Merf picture updates when needed?

By the way, has anyone seen any construction walls going up around the old skyway building now that the Stitch stage is done?

SirGoofy

I just can't believe after all these years the supports are still usable. Especially if they have plans to smooth out and bank the track. I would bet on all new steel as I have said but then I never would have thought SSE would have happened the way it has so who knows? Where are those Merf picture updates when needed?

There is absolutely no way they would be able to rebuild the entire thing with supports in the time frame they've set up. I wish you were right though.

Atomicmickey

Eh, who am I kidding, people are gonna go to Disney no matter what.:brick:
Like, for example, everyone here!

What can we do to cheer up around here!? They're cleaning up a ride that we all know and love.
It won't be worse, it'll be different, and probably better. Let's try to keep positive, here! :)

Besides, no one attraction makes or breaks WDW. That's the "magic" that everyone on this board ultimately feels.
I guess the disappointment stems from the feeling that Disney these days takes that for granted, or at least
uses it as their prime marketing tool. Not "look at the new shiny shiny", but
"overall we're better, wouldn't you agree". I do think we all would agree!

I saw an article someplace stating that Disney is not counting on any big
new attraction to keep people away from HP, that things like Disney's Magical Express,
and the deep discount on additional days on-property are doing a great job for them all by themselves.

I'll bet that everyone on this board is going to at some point, check out HP, then just plain old come back to Disney,
because no amount of theming and detail can recreate that intangible feeling that we all share.

Which is not to absolve Disney from things they could be doing better, and not to be a cheerleader
for lackluster anything at the world we all know and love, far from it.

It's just, well, come on people, I'll say that Disney would have to fall very, very, far and hard to impact my loyalty,
and no matter how spectacular HP is, it's still, well, Universal. When IOA opened,
I walked around there and marveled at the detail and quality. But I never got a shiver up my spine, never stopped
to just love where I was, didn't leave with a smile. Just another day in a cool theme park.

OK, this went on for a bit. But, just trying to cheer folks up about this
refurb that we don't, admittedly know much about. Even if "only" the things that we've seen here get done,
it'll still be pretty cool, I suspect, and it'll still be WDW. :)

Right? Right?

*waits for tomatoes to be thrown* :lol:

SirGoofy

If Space Mountain comes out pretty much as the same before, it's just another example of WDW doing things cheaply because they can, when they can easily do better.

Are the 4 Disney parks of higher quality than Universal? Probably, but the gap has been closing. Not because of Universal getting better, but Disney getting worse. Lackluster additions, slipping maintenance, and poor management decisions have seriously been hurting the World.

"I saw an article someplace stating that Disney is not counting on any big
new attraction to keep people away from HP, that things like Disney's Magical Express,
and the deep discount on additional days on-property are doing a great job for them all by themselves."

Which is the problem. They think no one can touch them. So they just do the same old, same old. They can get away with doing a half-arsed refurb for Space, unlike Disneyland who has a dedicated local fanbase who would seriously cry foul if they screwed up. WDW doesn't have that. So they get the mentality, "The guests will like it no matter what. They don't know any better." Which by the way is a direct quote from one of our favorite people.

Personally, I find this way of thinkin insulting as a guest, and a cast member.

jt04

Like, for example, everyone here!

What can we do to cheer up around here!? They're cleaning up a ride that we all know and love.
It won't be worse, it'll be different, and probably better. Let's try to keep positive, here! :)

Besides, no one attraction makes or breaks WDW. That's the "magic" that everyone on this board ultimately feels.
I guess the disappointment stems from the feeling that Disney these days takes that for granted, or at least
uses it as their prime marketing tool. Not "look at the new shiny shiny", but
"overall we're better, wouldn't you agree". I do think we all would agree!

I saw an article someplace stating that Disney is not counting on any big
and the deep discount on additional days on-property are doing a great job for them all by themselves.

I'll bet that everyone on this board is going to at some point, check out HP, then just plain old come back to Disney,
because no amount of theming and detail can recreate that intangible feeling that we all share.

Which is not to absolve Disney from things they could be doing better, and not to be a cheerleader
for lackluster anything at the world we all know and love, far from it.

It's just, well, come on people, I'll say that Disney would have to fall very, very, far and hard to impact my loyalty,
and no matter how spectacular HP is, it's still, well, Universal. When IOA opened,
I walked around there and marveled at the detail and quality. But I never got a shiver up my spine, never stopped
to just love where I was, didn't leave with a smile. Just another day in a cool theme park.

OK, this went on for a bit. But, just trying to cheer folks up about this
refurb that we don't, admittedly know much about. Even if "only" the things that we've seen here get done,
it'll still be pretty cool, I suspect, and it'll still be WDW. :)

Right? Right?

*waits for tomatoes to be thrown* :lol:

TWDC would be making a huge mistake if they think they can stop providing new and cutting edge attractions at WDW and not lose a large portion of their fanbase. There are just too many other vacation options out there. I've seen it happen before during lulls in construction. And they surely seem to understand this idea at DLR, DLRP and most especially at TDR. I hope TDO is listening.

Brian Noble

They think no one can touch them.

Well, so far, they are correct. The other theme park operators took a much worse beating in the most recent quarter than TWDC did.

And they surely seem to understand this idea at DLR, DLRP and most especially at TDR.
WDW is much much better at creating captive audiences than the others. Not that that's how I'd prefer they'd do it, but there you go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom