Space Mountain Heading to the Scrap Heap :)

jt04

Hm. That is true actually; I never really thought about it that way. So, assuming all parts are on schedule and ready to be assembled, they could do quite a bit in 7 months. If they can build three mouse coasters at the fair every year in a week, it can't be that hard to do some extensive work in SM, even if it is indoors. :shrug:

Wait and see people, wait and see. Still a bit early to call this a failure yet.

Actually being indoors could be an advantage. Especially considering the daily thunderstorms during Florida summers where work stops outdoors.

Lee

Adventurer
I hear what you are saying and with a normal modern steel coaster I would agree. But SM is in many ways a glorified mouse coaster and much easier to costruct. So we will see.

Which is part of the ride's problem now.
It's kinda like a mouse on steroids, with banked turns.
Disneyland's was similar before their refurb. (Bold and italics to designate quality.)
Now, DL's SM is a real, modern steel coaster. Not a modified mouse inside a cage of scaffolding.
Exhibit A:
MK's archaic pile of metal, which seems somewhat likely to remain so:
WDWAugust2007023.jpg

Exhibit B:
DL's thing of beauty:
2554145123_63b7ba3bd2.jpg

DDBB

Hm. That is true actually; I never really thought about it that way. So, assuming all parts are on schedule and ready to be assembled, they could do quite a bit in 7 months. If they can build three mouse coasters at the fair every year in a week, it can't be that hard to do some extensive work in SM, even if it is indoors. :shrug:

Wait and see people, wait and see. Still a bit early to call this a failure yet.

Space mountain is still over 3000 ft long which is a good sized coaster regardless of if you want to classify it as a wild mouse coaster. Most wild mouse coasters are only a few hundred feet long. Not to mention that there are two tracks here. I have a hard time believing that 7 months is anywhere near enough time to completely gut the mountain and rebuild over 6000 ft of track. Even once Disneylands finally got underway it took much longer than that and they were only rebuilding one track. But I guess we'll see...

jt04

Which is part of the ride's problem now.
It's kinda like a mouse on steroids, with banked turns.
Disneyland's was similar before their refurb. (Bold and italics to designate quality.)
Now, DL's SM is a real, modern steel coaster. Not a modified mouse inside a cage of scaffolding.
Exhibit A:
MK's archaic pile of metal, which seems somewhat likely to remain so:
WDWAugust2007023.jpg

Exhibit B:
DL's thing of beauty:
2554145123_63b7ba3bd2.jpg

I agree. DL's is what a modern Space Mountain should look like.

*fingers crossed*

sweetpee_1993

Y'all might think I'm nutty but the differences in DLP & DL's Space Mountains really do make me want to visit those parks (vs. WDW & I have recently actually spent time seeking these alternatives). WDW's Space Mountain has been loooong overdue for a rehab (get it back into shape) and a refurb (modifications to bring it up to date with today's technologies). I've followed the rumors for a long time and recently talked with a CM friend about the info that's floating around with them. There's so much out there. As many different reports that come from all sorts of sources including the CMs who actually work this attraction, I don't think it's possible to say one way or another exactly what is actually going on. Some secrets are well-guarded and this is another of them. I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. That's the safest thing to do.

I really do hope that the powers-that-be at WDW do NOT fall short on this project. WDW very much needs this. If they aren't going to give the returning fans something brand new they need to step up and make this something worth noticing. I've done WDW a lot with my family. Yeah, we love it dearly. But why continue to spend my buck in the same place doing the same old stuff with nothing new or fresh if I can go to other destinations and find things new & exciting? I'm not just referring to Disney's other parks. Sea World does a bang-up job of throwing a lot of great stuff out there. My last visit to one of their parks (San Antonio) was surprisingly wonderful. Makes ya wonder what you're missing. WDW really does need to step it up, keep things fresh, and keep people coming back.

WDITrent

Lee, your exhibition sends me mixed feelings. I really hope WDW gets DL's treatment, but I am skeptical that it will happen because of the half-long refurb with twice as much track.

magicmaya

Are they going to at least put a new lighting arrangement in there because I'v been on DL's SM with the lights on and it's bright and when WDW's SM has the light's on, it's Still dark on the bottom.They should at least put some lights on the side of the track.If I were in the park late at night,I would knock down the whole track:cool:Along with some special effects they decided to keep,get rid of those cheesy sound effects too...

I could keep namin':zipit:

Peice of S*** Disney Mountain! Give it the refurb it needs!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No other mouse coaster has 2 tracks, interweaved with eachother, above entry and exit tunnels, with a duel level load and unload and with a WEDway snaking through the most complex section.

magicmaya

No other mouse coaster has 2 tracks, interweaved with eachother, above entry and exit tunnels, with a duel level load and unload and with a WEDway snaking through the most complex section.

well there's something i'v never thought about.And it has great queue music!

Atomicmickey

OK, lol, one more stab at a bit of optimism, here.

I've been watching the pics of the Manta going up at SeaWorld.
It went up ridiculously fast!

Any relevance to these thoughts:

-prefab sections being built off site, and installed quickly?
Computer design these days allows for magic tricks like that to
happen.

-Economy of the work already done at DL being reused. Some design
challenges already complete due to that, some plans able to be reused,
thus enabling them to complete this work faster, more efficiently.

After this post, I got nuttin'. I'll go sit in the corner and listen and learn . . .

SirGoofy

OK, lol, one more stab at a bit of optimism, here.

I've been watching the pics of the Manta going up at SeaWorld.
It went up ridiculously fast!

Any relevance to these thoughts:

-prefab sections being built off site, and installed quickly?
Computer design these days allows for magic tricks like that to
happen.

-Economy of the work already done at DL being reused. Some design
challenges already complete due to that, some plans able to be reused,
thus enabling them to complete this work faster, more efficiently.

After this post, I got nuttin'. I'll go sit in the corner and listen and learn . . .

Believe me, I want it to be true, but it's not gonna happen.

As for the prefab sections...you can't bring big pieces into an indoor building. There's really not a big opening for them to bring it in.

And the work done at DL, different buildings, different coasters.

DL took 2 whole years to complete, even if they took the lessons learned, I don't see how you could cram 2 years of work into 8 months.

hardcard

Original Poster
Believe me, I want it to be true, but it's not gonna happen.

As for the prefab sections...you can't bring big pieces into an indoor building. There's really not a big opening for them to bring it in.

And the work done at DL, different buildings, different coasters.

DL took 2 whole years to complete, even if they took the lessons learned, I don't see how you could cram 2 years of work into 8 months.

I worked in the shipbuilding industry (not as a shipbuilder, I work in information technology) and I can assure you, there is enough access to the structure for prefabricated sections to be brought in... Metal workers always find a way, trust me.

I'll be laughing at all of the nay-sayers in a few months when SM opens on time, and much improved...

SirGoofy

I worked in the shipbuilding industry (not as a shipbuilder, I work in information technology) and I can assure you, there is enough access to the structure for prefabricated sections to be brought in... Metal workers always find a way, trust me.

I'll be laughing at all of the nay-sayers in a few months when SM opens on time, and much improved...

I sure hope your right. But I'll believe it when I see it. They haven't impressed me with anything they've done since M:S. I'm ready and waiting to be pleasantly surprised.

imagineer boy

One pet peeve of mine about Space Mountain that I know they won't fix is the fact that they never make it clear in the qeue if you're on a space station in space or if you in a space port on earth and you're blasting off into space. :shrug: I prefer the latter because it doesn't make sense that one moment you're walking around on earth and boom you suddenly walk onto a space station in space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom