Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I wasn't expecting anything less... It's still all the same to me. It hasn't grown or weakened in my list of EPCOT attractions.

JustInTime

I for one love the transitions. However each scene isn't long enough. It's feels less like soarin over the world and more like take a quick look around the world...

SoManyWasps

I for one love the transitions. However each scene isn't long enough. It's feels less like soarin over the world and more like take a quick look around the world...

I always thought the transitions, or lack thereof, were the biggest weakness in the original film. However I do agree that the new film feels rather abrupt at points.

aaronml

Full scene breakdown below:
  • Polar Bears and a breaching whale in front of glacier (believed to be Greenland)
  • Sydney Harbor
  • Neuschwanstein castle in Germany/Bavarian Alps
  • Plains of Africa chasing elephants with Mt. Kilimanjaro as a backdrop (scent of Grass)
  • The Great Wall of China
  • The pyramids of Egypt
  • The Taj Mahal (scent of Rose)
  • The Grand Canyon/Monument Valley
  • Fiji (scent of Ocean)
  • Iguazu Falls, Brazil
  • Eiffel Tower, France
  • Shanghai (This is expected to be replaced with a fly over of Epcot/Walt Disney World)
There is actually one short scene prior to Greenland, although I have yet to see it in any of the leaked videos (since all the leaked videos seem to start late for whatever reason) — The Matterhorn (the actual mountain in the Swiss Alps, not the ride in Anaheim).

GarrettJD

It definitely is new music. It just resembles the old music.

Excited to experience this in person soon.

A little bit of old and new. It uses the same Soarin' theme that Jerry Goldsmith wrote for the original ride, it's just that Bruce Broughton arranged it differently and also added new musical material around it. I can't wait to see it in person too!

donsullivan

Premium Member
Looks like they didn't hold back any FP+ for non resort guests like passholders on the opening. None available today when the 30 day window opened up for us. Lots of disappointed passholders out there right now.

dstrawn9889

Inside the building is a data center full of humming servers — double the size that the company used in the past — that would be considered one of the top 25 supercomputers in the world. The 2,000 computers have more than 24,000 cores. The data center is like the beating heart behind the movie’s technology.

Even with all of that computing might, it still takes 29 hours to render a single frame of Monsters University, according to supervising technical director Sanjay Bakshi.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/04/24/t...est-technological-marvel-monsters-university/

-the electricity alone would be as much... i couldnt see a helicopter rental to be more than paying for 2000 PC's at 24 frames a second for a ten minute film... 29 hours per frame, 24 frames a second, 60 seconds in a minute, 10 minute run time? that is the equivalent of 417600 rendering hours...

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Is this next on the agenda? Soarin' Over Pixar with an entirely CG film so you can fly with the Planes? Think how much it'd save on filming costs and add in the fact that it takes in the future plan for EPCOT... IP Showcase. Seems so possible it's not even funny.
052d88d36243ff696760d1d060e853f7cdaec0-v5-wm.jpg

Jahona

You sure?

I'm sure...

I could get a helicopter with aerial cinema platform for a days use for less than $1000

Cloud based rendering like Google Zinc is about $.90 a minute. The time to render 1 frame changes by the complexity of the scene and mathematical functions. Last time a friend used google zinc to render it cost him $10k for less than a minute of rendered frames.

awilliams4

Looks like they didn't hold back any FP+ for non resort guests like passholders on the opening. None available today when the 30 day window opened up for us. Lots of disappointed passholders out there right now.

There were some just yesterday available at 31 days out (6/18). But I see they are gone now. At about 35 days out there were few slots available. Mostly in the late afternoon. Got mine for this time period about 2 hours after it was posted here that they were available online. Thinking that was about 10-15 days ago now.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Inside the building is a data center full of humming servers — double the size that the company used in the past — that would be considered one of the top 25 supercomputers in the world. The 2,000 computers have more than 24,000 cores. The data center is like the beating heart behind the movie’s technology.

Even with all of that computing might, it still takes 29 hours to render a single frame of Monsters University, according to supervising technical director Sanjay Bakshi.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/04/24/t...est-technological-marvel-monsters-university/

-the electricity alone would be as much... i couldnt see a helicopter rental to be more than paying for 2000 PC's at 24 frames a second for a ten minute film... 29 hours per frame, 24 frames a second, 60 seconds in a minute, 10 minute run time? that is the equivalent of 417600 rendering hours...

That is not a typical sample. Pixar has gone to the extreme with elements (as highlighted in the article) like Sully's hair, materials, etc and is also rendering the full scene. This 'many hours per frame' mindset is not wrong.. but simply put.. not all tasks are the same size.

Compute time is cheap once you already have the farm built. So you timeshare it and stuff like this can be outsourced too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom