Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

DonaldDoleWhip

There's a good chance I'll head to DCA sometime this year to experience the new Soarin'...but I don't love what I see. The transitions seem to be hit-or-miss (they're a miss for me - almost like the golf ball moment on replay), and something about the music strikes me as really off.

The original orchestration and sequencing had a narrative, with softer, tranquil moments (Redwood Creek, Monterey, Malibu) leading to larger crescendos (Tahoe, Yosemite, San Diego, LA, etc) and ultimately a clear finale. With the update, most of the music sounds like a riff on one key part of the theme, over and over and over...and then we're at the finale! Each included location is supposed to be spectacular in its own right, but instead, there's no build to me. No payoff, no moment that really stands out (except perhaps the Great Wall of China).

That's another thing - I miss the diversity of the original film. That might sound odd, seeing as the original was confined to California...but it truly made the most of the Golden State - deserts, snowy mountains, ocean, highs and lows. A lot of these places, in comparison, feel less interesting to fly over. The Eiffel Tower scene is...fine, for instance, but seeing more of Paris (with the city streets and Tower twinkling) would've been more memorable. A lot of these places are so iconic but end up feeling 'flat' due to the cinematography and score.

As someone who was only excited about the Soarin' update, I can only hope it's more spectacular in person.

Last edited:

jt04

Watched some of the new film but closed my eyes for most to avoid spoilers. The music is great and the crowd was electric with excitement. Great days.

fractal

After viewing the video, I'm not crazy about the cuts but may look better viewing live. One positive is the cuts would make it much easier to edit in new or different scenes.

flynnibus

Premium Member
There's a good chance I'll head to DCA sometime this year to experience the new Soarin'...but I don't love what I see. The transitions seem to be hit-or-miss (they're a miss for me - almost like the golf ball moment on replay), and something about the music strikes me as really off.

The original orchestration and sequencing had a narrative, with softer, tranquil moments (Redwood Creek, Monterey, Malibu) leading to larger crescendos (Tahoe, Yosemite, San Diego, LA, etc) and ultimately a clear finale. With the update, most of the music sounds like a riff on one key part of the theme, over and over and over...and then we're at the finale! Each included location is supposed to be spectacular in its own right, but instead, there's no build to me. No payoff, no moment that really stands out (except perhaps the Great Wall of China).

That's another thing - I miss the diversity of the original film. That might sound odd, seeing as the original was confined to California...but it truly made the most of the Golden State - deserts, snowy mountains, ocean, highs and lows. A lot of these places, in comparison, feel less interesting to fly over. The Eiffel Tower scene is...fine, for instance, but seeing more of Paris (with the city streets and Tower twinkling) would've been more memorable. A lot of these places are so iconic but end up feeling 'flat' due to the cinematography and score.

As someone who was only excited about the Soarin' update, I can only hope it's more spectacular in person.

yup.. agree with everything you said. It feels like a knock off vs a greatly written story. It's the difference between great direction and mimicking but missing the art behind it.

Of course we all are a bit biased by having appreciated the original.. but I don't think this is fear of change, but actual inferior directing.

180º

They are very well done.
For wipes, yes. The Eiffel Tower beacon transition is probably my favorite, and the kite(?) on the Great Wall is nice and minimal. I'm still not sure I prefer them over cuts, but that's a personal preference and I'll admit the wipes are pretty creative.

UpAllNight

Much prefer the new transitions (only watched first minute of the video). One of my biggest issues with Soarin was how it just abruptly cut from scene to scene with no explanation. I thought it was actually quite a disappointing ride, but the dust on projectors didn't help at all.

I think this experience will be a decent upgrade. Just hope the queue is rethemed....or even themed.

Disney Analyst

I think the music is great, and the way they transition is far superior to the old film. I loathed the way they old film handled the transitions.

I think this is definitely great for Epcot and Shanghai. Unsure about DCA. Would work from me if you started the film taking off from California.

GarrettJD

I actually love the new music. Any word on which composer did the new arrangement? It sounds a LOT like Bruce Broughton to me (who did Ellen's Energy Adventure and the Martin Short O Canada!) I'm a big Broughton fan and to me there are hints of The Rescuers Down Under, Young Sherlock Holmes, and Homeward Bound in this new version.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I actually love the new music. Any word on which composer did the new arrangement? It sounds a LOT like Bruce Broughton to me (who did Ellen's Energy Adventure and the Martin Short O Canada!) I'm a big Broughton fan and to me there are hints of The Rescuers Down Under, Young Sherlock Holmes, and Homeward Bound in this new version.

You are correct, it is Bruce.

GarrettJD

You are correct, it is Bruce.

Thought so, thanks! I knew I heard his style in there. Since the great Jerry Goldsmith passed away I think they chose the perfect composer to adapt his score and write new material for the new film.

I realized that once this opens at Epcot, Broughton will have four attractions that he scored there (along with Spaceship Earth, Ellen, and O Canada.) Would be five if Honey I Shrunk the Audience was still open.

SoupBone

I love the new music

Its not as good as the old one but at least its the same kinda

Is this really the new music?

vader.jpg

And please tell me they at least left David Puddy in?

aaronml

I just want to know one thing: Is Patrick Warburton still the pre-show spieler/Did they update the preshow?
I got some more information on this, and I have good news! Patrick Warburton is indeed in the new DCA/Epcot Pre-Show. I don't know if he came back to record a new video, or if they just re-used/re-edited old material, but either way, he is in the new pre-show. Shanghai has a totally different pre-show though, which is in Mandarin and does not include Warburton.

SoupBone

I got some more information on this, and I have good news! Patrick Warburton is indeed in the new DCA/Epcot Pre-Show. I don't know if he came back to record a new video, or if they just re-used/re-edited old material, but either way, he is in the new pre-show. Shanghai has a totally different pre-show though, which is in Mandarin and does not include Warburton.

giphy.gif

jrlbc06

Do you hate the transitions in Star Tours?

It's difficult to handle a bunch of scene changes in a 5-minute ride.

The whale splash and elephant throwing dirt at the screen are the ones that really bother me. I preferred the direct cuts in the old Soarin' to be honest. I don't mind the transitions in Star Tours. They use hyperspace which makes perfect sense. The new Soarin' ones (particularly the two I mentioned) pull me right out of the ride. Maybe they work better in person than on video.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom