Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

OvertheHorizon

I'm sure in the theater with digital film it will look fantastic. I'm surprised at how little the score has changed from Soarin' Over California. It hardly seems like they needed a new composer for this. Just a music arranger to fit the old score around the new film.

hpyhnt 1000

Watched about half the video (didn't want to spoil everything visually) but have then gone through and listened for the soundtrack a few times.

Not sure how I feel about it. Seems a bit to disjointed in my opinion. The original score did an excellent job of building through multiple scenes. From my listening, this new one doesn't weave together nearly as well. Plus, I find the added effects sounds during the transitions unnecessary.

RSoxNo1

Full scene breakdown below:
  • Polar Bears and a breaching whale in front of glacier (believed to be Greenland)
  • Sydney Harbor
  • Neuschwanstein castle in Germany/Bavarian Alps
  • Plains of Africa chasing elephants with Mt. Kilimanjaro as a backdrop (scent of Grass)
  • The Great Wall of China
  • The pyramids of Egypt
  • The Taj Mahal (scent of Rose)
  • The Grand Canyon/Monument Valley
  • Fiji (scent of Ocean)
  • Iguazu Falls, Brazil
  • Eiffel Tower, France
  • Shanghai (This is expected to be replaced with a fly over of Epcot/Walt Disney World)

NeonNinja

Watched about half the video (didn't want to spoil everything visually) but have then gone through and listened for the soundtrack a few times.

Not sure how I feel about it. Seems a bit to disjointed in my opinion. The original score did an excellent job of building through multiple scenes. From my listening, this new one doesn't weave together nearly as well. Plus, I find the added effects sounds during the transitions unnecessary.
Kind of agree lets see how Epcot Does with it. Just a few more weeks

RandySavage

I am curious what the "story" of this queue is and how it ties in with the ride.

I've read that it is themed as an "Ancient Observatory" as might be associated with the Maya or Inca, but in this case, the fictional Arbori culture of Adventure Isle. You pass under a rockwork eagle to enter the ride.

I'm curious if and how this theme caries through to the theater and ride system (see the DaVinci-version at DisneySea concept art) or if it is just left unadorned as in the stateside versions.

A question:
Has there been any solid information if this is a "slot-machine" like Star Tours, with various segments dropped in at random (would seem like a no-brainer with digital tech) or the same sequence every ride?

NeonNinja

I've read that it is themed as an "Ancient Observatory" as might be associated with the Maya or Inca, but in this case, the fictional Arbori culture of Adventure Isle. You pass under a rockwork eagle to enter the ride.

I'm curious if and how this theme caries through to the theater and ride system (see the DaVinci-version at DisneySea concept art) or just left unadorned as in the stateside versions.

A question:
Has there been any solid information if this is a "slot-machine" like Star Tours, with various segments dropped in at random (would seem like a no-brainer with digital versions) or the same sequence every ride?
I would want it to be the same but as always I would want to have the original version and the new version for us to choose between.

flynnibus

Premium Member

The old film used jump cuts to add intensity and awe... which many people complained about (blindly IMO because they missed how it impacted people). And in the new film they seemed to playcate to that and try to mask it with these extra effects. It's like someone copying another's work without knowing what made the original work.

They went safe here for sure.. will have to see what the full experience is like to properly judge, but not feeling it so far. The egypt stuff looks neat.

Jahona

Personally I thought the jump cuts worked about 25% of the time. They built intensity for a few but the majority of the time I was pulled out of the sensation of flying. I like the transitions a bit better on the new film just from a poorly filmed video. I'll hold off on the rest until I see it in person eventually.

180º

For one thing, and I know I'm being insufferably picky here, but they weren't jump cuts. Jump cuts are cuts that are choppy/draw attention to themselves by going against rules like cutting on action and having enough contrast between compositions to feel natural. Jump cuts can be intentional, for effect.

Soarin' Over California made excellent use of match cuts, if anything, in addition to regular cuts, in a way that was smooth yet minimal. Soarin' Over the Horizon/Around the World is strung together by a series of wipes. It seems they intended it to be less distracting, but on the other hand it adds one unusual and in-your-face bit of business to every scene, accompanied by sound effects. I'm not sure I'm going to like it, but I'll have to wait and see for myself I suppose.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm sure in the theater with digital film it will look fantastic. I'm surprised at how little the score has changed from Soarin' Over California. It hardly seems like they needed a new composer for this. Just a music arranger to fit the old score around the new film.

Have you watched the whole video? The first scene is very similar but some of the other have much different music.

OvertheHorizon

Have you watched the whole video? The first scene is very similar but some of the other have much different music.
I did watch the whole video. To me, it all seemed like a variation on the original score. The major difference I heard was a Chinese theme blended in with the music on the scene crossing the Great Wall of China. I'll look forward to seeing/hearing it at Epcot in June (one of the advantages of living near WDW).

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
With Soarin over the World already previewing in Shanghai... what are the odds of it "previewing" Memorial Day at EPCOT?

Some rumors say it may reopen then with the old movie but couldn't they "preview" the new movie and then "officially" open it after Shanghai's official opening?

*Q*

I could have sworn that there would be a queue update or enhancement during this but maybe it was just the interactive stuff or it was cut, if a queue makeover even existed to begin with. It needs one.

This is Shanghai's (credit @DisneylandDrive on twitter) - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CiGqgnBUoAE4Xo3.jpg

CiGqgnBUoAE4Xo3.jpg

That just makes me want Soarin' Over Space.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Each to their own, but I felt it spoilt the immersion.

The attraction goes through a progression where early on its playing like a glider, but then as it progresses, the intensity and scope changes so its not so much about gliding sensation, but simply that of flying or the perspective from there.. we get the higher speeds, the evening scenes, etc.. all this ties in with the music crescendo as well. By the end it's not a glider experience, but simply one of flying. The intensity and 'awe' as it ramps up makes people forget anything about credibility of the staging and its more about the sensation and perspective. No one is thinking 'why would a glider fly over DL at night?' at the end.

There are a few of the cuts that are lesser, but many are timed and staged so well. It also helps distract people from thinking about the lack of continuity between scenes and it becomes more about the pacing and intensity.

Mike S

The attraction goes through a progression where early on its playing like a glider, but then as it progresses, the intensity and scope changes so its not so much about gliding sensation, but simply that of flying or the perspective from there.. we get the higher speeds, the evening scenes, etc.. all this ties in with the music crescendo as well. By the end it's not a glider experience, but simply one of flying. The intensity and 'awe' as it ramps up makes people forget anything about credibility of the staging and its more about the sensation and perspective. No one is thinking 'why would a glider fly over DL at night?' at the end.

There are a few of the cuts that are lesser, but many are timed and staged so well. It also helps distract people from thinking about the lack of continuity between scenes and it becomes more about the pacing and intensity.
Your descriptions are reminding me of when I rode Soarin' for the first time. I loved it to say the least. As the screens got dirtier over the years the experience started to get less and less.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom