Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

ABQ

That is not a typical sample. Pixar has gone to the extreme with elements (as highlighted in the article) like Sully's hair, materials, etc and is also rendering the full scene. This 'many hours per frame' mindset is not wrong.. but simply put.. not all tasks are the same size.

Compute time is cheap once you already have the farm built. So you timeshare it and stuff like this can be outsourced too.
I wonder, does Pixar own everything or is that farm rented. Further, doesn't Disney own Industrial Light and Magic. Surely, between both Pixar and ILM, they own a few more things than just one Apple II machine. I'm not questioning the cost of filming vs rendering, both of overhead I doubt I'd consider if I were estimating. But I do wonder, with all the computing power they do have on hand, if they could find fantastical ways to swap out Soarin films every month, rather than once a decade.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I wonder, does Pixar own everything or is that farm rented. Further, doesn't Disney own Industrial Light and Magic. Surely, between both Pixar and ILM, they own a few more things than just one Apple II machine. I'm not questioning the cost of filming vs rendering, both of overhead I doubt I'd consider if I were estimating. But I do wonder, with all the computing power they do have on hand, if they could find fantastical ways to swap out Soarin films every month, rather than once a decade.

I wouldn't be suprised if you talked to people you found out they use a combination of in house and outsource. When you have a production schedule... and things take X amount of time to complete.. sometimes you gotta scramble to find more capacity.

Soarin' being the same is simply a matter of choice... and there are arguments for both sides. But technology isn't really the limiting factor.

Jahona

Pixar and ILM own and operates their own farms. Pixar invested heavily on theirs for Monsters University to handle the increased load of Global Illumination. The two farms most likely are not set up to talk to each other based on different proprietary software that both companies use.

dstrawn9889

they can still render in tandem... but that wasnt the point.. they were saying it is cheaper to render than film, and i still think that this is not the case

note2001

Can we just dispense with all this senseless discussion on it going CG. There is no basis for this happening any time in the near future.
Soarin' has been updated with a new real life film, end of story.
This is the forum that loves tangents and off-ramps. Once they start exploring them, there's no stopping.

However, I'm so glad they never considered going for 100% CG, although I'm fairly sure we see some pretty heavy handed editing at points (the polar bear scene is standing out as a "Wow, what are the odds of them filming just as the ice gives way?" in my mind.

Still, I never want to see Disney replace things like this that are to be 100% real with computer generated anything. Computers will take over and the next thing you know we'll have robots serving up cupcakes at Disney springs. :cautious:

Jahona

However, I'm so glad they never considered going for 100% CG, although I'm fairly sure we see some pretty heavy handed editing at points (the polar bear scene is standing out as a "Wow, what are the odds of them filming just as the ice gives way?" in my mind.

One thing to think about is the Banshee ride for Avatarland will most likely heavily rely on CGI. Having one version of Soarin grounded in reality and the other in Sci-Fi should be interesting.

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
One thing to think about is the Banshee ride for Avatarland will most likely heavily rely on CGI. Having one version of Soarin grounded in reality and the other in Sci-Fi should be interesting.

(Spit-take... cleans my computer screen) Wait, what? Are you saying that Banshees and Pandora are not real?! Lol

I am looking forward to seeing a sci-fi version of Soarin as well. While Soarin is SOOOOOO relaxing, FOP should be closer to a thrill and be very different type of experience.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Ooo, not only a return of the film, but it should be a return in the stunning IMAX Laser 4K! I was able to enjoy that in DCA a few months ago and you're in for quite a treat (even before the new film debuts). The clarity is so crisp and wonderful... wonder if that will include all three theaters or just the first two or if they'll slowly bring the third theater online by just using it for limited portions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom