Reality takes on Fantasy, Reality up 1-0....

RandySavage

One of the best things about the old WDW (80s to mid-90s) was leaving the hideous sprawl of I-4 behind once you passed the gates and being surrounded by forests and wetlands with an occasional mountain (Mount Gushmore) springing up. From the roofdecks of the Dolphin or Contemporary there seemed (to my young eyes and imagination) to be unending forested land in all directions.

Now the property has been so relentlessly developed that WDW no longer feels like a place apart - something special. Instead it feels like every other part of America cosumed by sprawl.

speck76

Original Poster
I hate sprawl.....Ohhhhhhhhhh, yeahhhhhhhhhhhh

200px-Savagebelt.jpg

hokielutz

Was that - now Hilton property - ever owned by Disney, and if so when was it sold and why. Sorry to be a little naieve here about what Disney owned and sold away.

I agree with others on this thread that Walt's intention with the FL project was to create a magical world that was buffered from the real world. I remember from the 80's and driving to the kingdom that it seemed like there was such a separation of Disney from everyone else. Now you can stay at non-disney resorts that are just outside the main gates. Also I don't understand why Disney is continuing to sell off parts of its FL property. It just goes into the hands of developers that can do the same thing that Hilton is doing until the property is surrounded by 10-15 story towers that advertise great views of the kingdom from their resorts without staying onsite.

Anyway... sorry to gripe, but I guess there is not much that can be done about it now...

kcnole

Was that - now Hilton property - ever owned by Disney, and if so when was it sold and why. Sorry to be a little naieve here about what Disney owned and sold away.

From the very first post in this thread.

The Bonnet Creek Resort area.....a parcel of land that is rumored to have been owned by Howard Hughes back when Walt was buying up parcels in Orlando...it was the one parcel that would not sell.

DisneyCane

I don't have time to read the whole thread right now so I don't know if this has been asked.

Why is it such a huge deal when something is visible from "World Showcase" and it completely ruins the whole fantasy experience when the Contemporary is clearly visible from Tomorrowland (and Splash Mt.) and that is OK? The Contemporary doesn't fit the Tomorrowland theme (or the theme of MK) but nobody complains about that and it was built at the beginning.

NeedABreak

DMC-12 said:
:rolleyes:

Wow... thats really petty, and spiteful.

I will be in tower 2 or 3 at Bonnet Creek, presidential suite, around x-mas this year... enjoying my view. :D :wave:

Its not about spite. It would be about protecting an investment.

Disney has spent a lot of money creating a vacation resort that offers amazing views and fireworks shows. Hilton is going to build a hotel that will make money for them based on Disney's investment. At the same time this will drain business from Disney resorts.

It would make total sense for Disney to hurt the view of Epcot and its fireworks. If it were me there would be advertiseing for WDW viewable from any window of the resort. Just paint it on the back of the attractions at Epcot.

speck76

Original Poster
DisneyCane said:
I don't have time to read the whole thread right now so I don't know if this has been asked.

Why is it such a huge deal when something is visible from "World Showcase" and it completely ruins the whole fantasy experience when the Contemporary is clearly visible from Tomorrowland (and Splash Mt.) and that is OK? The Contemporary doesn't fit the Tomorrowland theme (or the theme of MK) but nobody complains about that and it was built at the beginning.
Contemporary was made to fit the Tomorrowland theme.....it fit much better with the old Tomorrowland concept

Also, Contemporary is a disney hotel....it is not the outside world....the last thing I really want to see above Germany is a giant Hilton sign....

CTXRover

Speck, where is the timeshare tower that is already being built located on the map you posted in post 40 (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=1668545&postcount=40) and where will the two new towers be built? From the picture of the tower over Germany you posted, I have no concerns. Its the very top roof part that is visible and will probably only be noticed with a zoom on a camera. If the newer towers are built farther back on Bonnet Creek's property and hopefully aren't much taller than that, all should be ok. At the very least, if Disney wanted, it looks like they could build up a hill with tall trees behind Germany and Italy to block the views of the hotels from World Showcase. If the WS lagoon and Epcot weren't so huge to allow for such big vistas from within the park, you wouldn't even notice them.

speck76

Original Poster
CTXRover said:
Speck, where is the timeshare tower that is already being built located on the map you posted in post 40 (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=1668545&postcount=40) and where will the two new towers be built? From the picture of the tower over Germany you posted, I have no concerns. Its the very top roof part that is visible and will probably only be noticed with a zoom on a camera. If the newer towers are built farther back on Bonnet Creek's property and hopefully aren't much taller than that, all should be ok. At the very least, if Disney wanted, it looks like they could build up a hill with tall trees behind Germany and Italy to block the views of the hotels from World Showcase. If the WS lagoon and Epcot weren't so huge to allow for such big vistas from within the park, you wouldn't even notice them.
that map does not really represent the reality of the project, it is more of a "guideline"......that being said, it is near the middle, towards the top

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
DisneyCane said:
The Contemporary doesn't fit the Tomorrowland theme (or the theme of MK) but nobody complains about that and it was built at the beginning.

Yes it does - that`s why it`s there, and why nothing has been developed between the CoP and Skyway building. More so original Tomorrowland, but it still fits in name.

Skippy

About the Contemporary only being visible from Tomorrowland (Where it fits the theme). All the buildings in Main Street USA use forced perspective except one, which is the Exposition Hall, which was built full scale. It was built full scale, just so you can't see over it to the Contemporary resort, keeping the theme.

DisneyCane

I will get over my fear of sounding stupid and go ahead and ask. How does the contemporary fit the theme of Tomorrowland (now or original)? To me, it looks like a building in the distance. What is it supposed to look like?

MKCP 1985

Its style and design were 1970s futuristic. . . and even now, how many Hiltons and Hyatts have a sleek monorail train delivering commuters? :lol:

peter11435

RandySavage said:
From the roofdecks of the Dolphin or Contemporary there seemed (to my young eyes and imagination) to be unending forested land in all directions.

For the most part it still looks like that today.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
DisneyCane said:
I will get over my fear of sounding stupid and go ahead and ask. How does the contemporary fit the theme of Tomorrowland (now or original)? To me, it looks like a building in the distance. What is it supposed to look like?

Because it`s Futuristic? Even more so in 1966 :)

Original Adventureland plans called for a clear line of sight all the way to the Polynesian too.

DisneyJill

WEDisney said:
I know Hilton has a reputation as a great hotel chain but I wouldnt put them in the same group as Disney.

Actually, you can probably rank them somewhere above Disney. Hilton's service standards are among the top in the industry and I believe that you will find more 5 star properties in Hilton's family of brands (Waldorf, Conrad, Hilton, Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, DoubleTree, Homewood Suites, Coral Resorts and Hilton Grand Vacation properties-the 5 stars being Waldorf's and Conrad's) than you will at Disney World. The top three hotel companies in the world are Marriott, Hilton and Hyatt-not Disney. Yes, I am biased towards Hilton as many of you know and yes, I do stay at Disney resorts and I love them-and I worked at one and was trained at one. But I know the Hilton brand standards well enough to know that they aren't going to plunk a crap hotel down in the middle of WDW. I assure you it will be a beautiful property (as will the Waldorf) that will only enhance the current offerings at WDW. :wave:

And Brad, I wouldn't want to look up and see a giant Marriott sign over Germany either...or Hyatt...:animwink:

speck76

Original Poster
DisneyJill said:
Actually, you can probably rank them somewhere above Disney. Hilton's service standards are among the top in the industry and I believe that you will find more 5 star properties in Hilton's family of brands (Waldorf, Conrad, Hilton, Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, DoubleTree, Homewood Suites, Coral Resorts and Hilton Grand Vacation properties-the 5 stars being Waldorf's and Conrad's) than you will at Disney World. The top three hotel companies in the world are Marriott, Hilton and Hyatt-not Disney. Yes, I am biased towards Hilton as many of you know and yes, I do stay at Disney resorts and I love them-and I worked at one and was trained at one. But I know the Hilton brand standards well enough to know that they aren't going to plunk a crap hotel down in the middle of WDW. I assure you it will be a beautiful property (as will the Waldorf) that will only enhance the current offerings at WDW. :wave:

And Brad, I wouldn't want to look up and see a giant Marriott sign over Germany either...or Hyatt...:animwink:
I don't want any signs above Germany....unless it says "free hookers & beer"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom