Reality takes on Fantasy, Reality up 1-0....

speck76

Original Poster
It is nothing new that something is appearing above a country in World Showcase.....

first it was The Dolphin and Swan hotels, then ToT, and most recently, it was Soarin' (although many of the pavilions previously got in the way from various angles)

For the first time at any WDW park, "the outside world" will be seen from inside of a theme park.....

The Bonnet Creek Resort area.....a parcel of land that is rumored to have been owned by Howard Hughes back when Walt was buying up parcels in Orlando...it was the one parcel that would not sell.

It is being developed....at first, Fairwinds started a 700+ unit timeshare developement, which was no big deal, as the buildings are short.....but now a tower is under construction, and the tower can be seen from inside of Epcot.

Today, Hilton announced they are going to build 1500 hotel rooms on the property.....I would think also in tower form...

Unfortunately, WDW can not do anything about it. :(

WDWcouple

Because this land still falls under The RCID I assume they are going to impose the same height restrictions on the land that they have since Fairfield starting developing Bonnet Creek. I believe, but dont quote me that it is 4 stories

PS: RCID=Reddy Creek Improvment District (Disney's planning and Zoning commision)

speck76

Original Poster
WDWcouple said:
Because this land still falls under The RCID I assume they are going to impose the same height restrictions on the land that they have since Fairfield starting developing Bonnet Creek. I believe, but dont quote me that it is 4 stories

PS: RCID=Reddy Creek Improvment District (Disney's planning and Zoning commision)
No...it is not part of RCID

The yellow section is the Bonnet Creek Resort development area...outside the RCID borders

Connor002

Wherever there is success, there will be others trying to benefit from it.

I don't think there's much anyone can do about it, within reason...

WDWcouple

I guess it is wise to admit when one is wrong and why I shouldnt bring over information from kooks on another Disney Board....

Apparent RCID does not incorporate the land we are speaking of as showin in this huge PDF http://www.rcid.org/PDF/political jurisdiction map.base05_11.pdf

So what do I do for confirmation... I call RCID.... The lady that answeres is great and transfers me to the zoning department..... PS The RCID hold music is Disney Songs

Well the guy that answers in Zoning states that the land is not RCID property however there are agreements on public file as to certain building restrictions, which has kept certain types of buildings from being built in the past. Im not sure if this is highrises or not.

He was curious why I was asking and I had to "geek" up and tell him I was reading something on a board that staed Hilton "May" be thinking of putting a tower up for a new 1500 room addition to the property. He giggled and said "That has not come up in any Osceola or Orange county planning sessions he has heard of and it would be interesting if it did"

Another piece of interesting info.. The Building and Safety lady told me that area pays for RCFD services.

As you can see Im bored.. Im off today and its raining

I can only imagine the conversation that my phone calls caused... Probably started with "Guess what this Disney Freak just told me"

speck76

Original Poster
1 tower can already be seen.....it is a condo-hotel (1 of 2 proposed towers)

Hilton announced their project today

Hilton Hotels Corp. announced plans today to build two luxury hotels - one named after the storied Waldorf Astoria hotel - - at Bonnet Creek near Walt Disney World with a combined 1,500 rooms.

The two are the latest in a series of high-end hotel projects announced this year in the Disney and Orange County Convention Center area. Construction is expected to begin this summer with opening projected for summer 2009.

In March, Beverly Hills, Calif.-based Hilton said it would develop a 1,400-room hotel near the convention center.

The Bonnet Creek hotels are to be built side by side, sharing meeting space. The project, on 30 acres, would also include a Rees Jones-designed golf course.

MKCP 1985

When I read this, I immediately had two thoughts. (unusual for me, as I usually run around with no thoughts at all :lol: )

1. I guess having a little Soarin' building visible behind Canada from certain viewing angles is not such a big deal now, is it? :lol:

2. Of all Florida Disney parks, EPCOT can best sustain this type of intrusion, probably because I've gotten used to seeing the Dolphin, the Swan, etc. *shrug*

(I'm liking my Hilton Honors account *rubs hands together diabolically*)

tigsmom

speck76 said:

So this is part of the one that was in the story in the Orlando Sentinal today?

Is any of this on or near the property that Disney has been selling off lately?

WDWcouple

Ah.. Thank you for the article... Im not finding anywhere on the website that its indicating what form the hotel will be in. Tower or 4 story villa type hotel like the current units
BC029.sized.jpg

You would hope they wouldnt throw a 10+ story monolith out there and break from the current scheme, but Ive seen stranger things happen.

Ive never actually seen the current buildings from anywhere in the park... but then again I really havnt looked... Lets hope they keep it that way

mousermerf

Account Suspended
At the moment, all I could see was cranes behind Italy, from over near Canada. Unless it gets much taller it wont be visible.

mkepcotmgmak

speck76 said:

make that two - don't forget that you can see Tower of Terror clearly behind Morocco... it just blends in really well with the Moroccan theming...

Buford

I have no qualms if it's classy or isn't sorely out of place.......

I don't really consider the S&D hotels to be Disney hotels, so I guess this is the next step......

Nice find, Speck76. Thanks for sharing :wave:

DisneyJill

Oops, I just posted this again because I didn't know it was in Speck's thread. I was personally excited. Hilton+Walt Disney World=Jill moves back to Florida. :lol:

mkepcotmgmak

DisneyJill said:
Oops, I just posted this again because I didn't know it was in Speck's thread. I was personally excited. Hilton+Walt Disney World=Jill moves back to Florida. :lol:

you were THE first person i thought about when i read this!!!

brkgnews

mkepcotmgmak said:
make that two - don't forget that you can see Tower of Terror clearly behind Morocco... it just blends in really well with the Moroccan theming...
Which, by the way, was apparently no mistake.

Maybe (pretty darned big "maybe," but maybe nonetheless), Hilton would agree to some joint theme planning to help their stuff blend in.

speck76

Original Poster
WDWcouple said:
Ah.. Thank you for the article... Im not finding anywhere on the website that its indicating what form the hotel will be in. Tower or 4 story villa type hotel like the current units
BC029.sized.jpg

You would hope they wouldnt throw a 10+ story monolith out there and break from the current scheme, but Ive seen stranger things happen.

Ive never actually seen the current buildings from anywhere in the park... but then again I really havnt looked... Lets hope they keep it that way
Fairfield_Orlando_at_Bonnet_Creek_Resort.gif

744 timeshare villas in 5 buildings....most will be tall.....14 stories arrcording to the website

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom