Reality takes on Fantasy, Reality up 1-0....

jmvd20

mrtoad said:
Disney could if they wanted to be nasty and make the area not attractive to Hilton. Parking lots around it, or CM areas or something so that the view is not so nice and they would not want to build there but I doubt they want to do it anyway but something to block the view from the parks would be nice.

I just read through this whole thread and the property is right on top of the CBR and Pop Century - there is a picture of the area back on page 2 or 3 of this thread.

I guess that as long as the towers look good it may not be so bad. Seeing the Swan and Dolphin, ToT from Epcot never bugged me.

DisneyRoxMySox

jmvd20 said:
I just read through this whole thread and the property is right on top of the CBR and Pop Century - there is a picture of the area back on page 2 or 3 of this thread.

I guess that as long as the towers look good it may not be so bad. Seeing the Swan and Dolphin, ToT from Epcot never bugged me.

However the towers look UGLY!! :eek: Speck had posted a picture of them somewhere in this thread, but I beleive you can see them somewhere. :(

jmvd20

DisneyRoxMySox said:
However the towers look UGLY!! :eek: Speck had posted a picture of them somewhere in this thread, but I beleive you can see them somewhere. :(

I didn't see those pictures. But at least they will not be towering over Epcot obstructing views etc...

I'm just surprised that this land is just now being developed, you would think someone would ahve built there years ago since Disney was never able to purchase the land.

Scar Junior

jmvd20 said:

Whether it bugs a person or not, the fact still remains that it psychologically impacts a guests ability to be interpollated into the Theme. It is comparable to self-reflexivity in film. It has a "distancing" effect between the viewer/audience and the show. While some may like self-reflexive moments in film for whatever reason (comedic: Mel Brooks; or aesthetic: Life Aquatic), each self-reflexive moment ineviatbly tells the audience "THIS IS A SHOW."

Though ridden with entertainment theory, this is one of my biggest gripes.

Scar Junior

I would like someone to start a petition to boycott Hilton and it's subsidiaries for this move. I have no problem staying at other hotels. It's not like I can't find better places than Double Tree....

valorus

I held my tongue the first time this thread came up, but the renewed calls for a wall are too much to bear. What is next? Building a wall around Everest so those not going to the park can't see it as they drive by?

What is the big problem with guests at the hotel being are to see Epcot? If the hotels guests really care, and many will not, then they probably already are visiting Disney World, have paid their admission, and are probably actually in the Park enjoying the show. I know I would not go to Orlando, stay at a hotel a mile or so away from Epcot in order to see its fireworks show, but not go to the park. And for the hotel guests that aren't going to Disney World maybe if they catch a glimpse of the fireworks it will inspire them to visit.

As for being able to see the hotel from inside the park. I really do not think it will be that bad. But most of all you just have to learn to block it out and not pay attention to it. After all I don't really notice the Soarin or the TOT from inside World Showcase unless I'm making a point to look for them, same with seeing the Contemporary from with the Magic Kingdom.

Oh well just my two cents worth.

DisneyRoxMySox

Many people don't mind seeing ToT and Soarin' stick out of place because it is still Disney and part of the show. However, Hilton is not a part of Disney and not part of the show. It will just ruin the atmosphere.

I suppose it wouldn't be that bad to see a building, but if it has a big red Hilton on it, it would just be so tacky and out of place. :hurl:

I would imagine that there might be a few people who would go down to LBV and not pay for the parks just to play golf and have wonderful views of fireworks when they shouldn't. :mad:

When I went to DL, I did not stay for the fireworks one night and when driving to my hotel off site..there were people everywhere seeing the fireworks for free!! It just irks me.

Scar Junior

I think Valorous is missing the point of our discontent. From an ethos standpoint, it ruins everything that Walt Disney wanted and thus, is against everything WDW stands for. From a pathos standpoint... read my earlier post about psychology and entertainment.

dhcalva

Hilton has a history with Disney. I can recall staying at the Hilton over by the old shopping village and the HoJos and the Royal Plaza ect way way back. I'm also sure that they don't want to upset Disney, so my guesses are that 1) The buildings will be attractive and 2) the sign will be like the one on the Hilton I mentioned above, on the front of the building facing the road. Assuming that it isn't a sign at ground level or something. Having a Hilton there won't hurt Disney at all, as long as Hilton is a 'good neighbor'. Staying at HoJos or the Royal Plaza didn't detract from the experiance of being at Disney, so I don't see why this would.

Disney hotels still have a major advantage, especially during high traffic seasons... I've been at Disney when they closed the gates to anyone not staying on Disney Property because of the size of the crowds.

If you really insist on something to block their view... How about a giant wall/billboard that shows Hilton guests waving Disney characters :wave: and views of Disney owned hotels, as well as current room rates and a special 'Bring your Hilton receipt and get 10% off of your stay at a Disney resort'. :D

DisneyRoxMySox

*BUMP*

The current building that is being constructed CAN NOT be see from the Word Showcase. It can clearly be seen from Test Track, the Monorail inside EPCOT, Pop Century, Caribean Beach, and Typhoon Lagoon. IT doesn't look horrible. But we will see what happens in the furture.

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
I held my tongue the first time this thread came up, but the renewed calls for a wall are too much to bear. What is next? Building a wall around Everest so those not going to the park can't see it as they drive by?

Now in all honesty, I am going to say that seeing the flat-back part of Everest from the AK parking lot does bother me, but that might just be me...

I was wondering... when are they just going to build the bio-dome??? :lol: :animwink:

I personally would not want a Hilton H in the background of some of my vacation pictures... Disney, for me anyways, has been synonymous with perfection, and I'm sure we'll find some way to perfect the art of hiding the outside world from our guests... And who knows what will happen in the future???

Disney has also been synonymous with happiness and joy... not arguments and "bleh I'm right!"... can't we all just get along and be the happiest online friends on earth? :wave: :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom