Reality takes on Fantasy, Reality up 1-0....

MKCP 1985

speck76 said:
Disney hotels are know due to their connection to the parks

many of the hotels at WDW are nothing more than a Red Roof Inn with a theme...

. . . and a great swimming pool. :lol:

But even at Red Roof Inn, you can get a room with a coffee pot, bar soap and shampoo containers included.

can't you? :confused: :D

masterv

bucklmd said:
So, I shall say it is slightly snobby to be so critical of other brands. I would also be careful in being so loyal to one company because you might miss some great opportunities otherwise. There's nothing wrong with being proud of where you work. It's great actually, but just be cautious as you may eat your words at some point. It may sound better to say you work for Hilton than Holiday Inn or wherever, but it's just a brand.
I never really understood the big deal about hotel brands. Usually I'm too concerned about having fun in the parks than to worry about my hotel. I'm only at the hotel for 8 hours where I'm sleeping anyway. The other 16 hours I'm out and about.

I agree bucklmd there are a lot of hotel snobs in this world and on this thread. Who cares you stay at a Hilton or Marriot? I've stayed at both on business and wasn't all that impressed. Then again I'm a pretty simple person. If the room is clean and the staff is kind and courteous, I'm hooked. And the Disney hotels aren't any better. We stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort for our 1 year anniversary and I swear I've stayed at better Holiday Inns. They didn't even have a microwave or frig! What's up with that? I'll have friends who make comments like, "Oh yeah and we stayed at the Marriot." And I'll come back with, "So I guess you like throwing your money away." :lol: I'm sorry. I feel a lot of those places (Disney included) are WAAAAY over priced.

Ususally when I travel for business or pleasure I stay at LQ Inn. I've only had one bad experience (Brandon, FL) and the other 100+ times were great. In fact, I'll go on record in saying that I'd rather stay at the LQ on International Drive than the Caribbean Beach Resort. It also helps that I get Return Points and have earned many free night stays. And I can usually stay at LQ for under 100 bucks a night. :animwink:

As far as these hotels ruining the Disney experience. I'm no fan of them building in that area. Then again I never really noticed the TOT in Morocco or some of the other examples. I guess I was too busy enjoying Disney. :lol:

CoffeeJedi

masterv said:
Then again I never really noticed the TOT in Morocco or some of the other examples. I guess I was too busy enjoying Disney. :lol:
funny you should say that, you're not supposed to notice it!
from that angle, and that color scheme, it looks like a far-off mosque in whatever ancient city you're supposed to be in, if you don't notice it, then they've done their job

masterv

CoffeeJedi said:
funny you should say that, you're not supposed to notice it!
from that angle, and that color scheme, it looks like a far-off mosque in whatever ancient city you're supposed to be in, if you don't notice it, then they've done their job

Good. Then I guess hats off to Disney for doing a good job. My point with that comment was I think we worry about the silliest things. When I'm in the parks I'm too worried about riding the rides and getting my picture taken with Stitch than to worry about some building being in the background. If it stood out like a sore thumb, YES, I can see people being upset about that. But all those other examples about hotels being here or there I haven't noticed. I didn't notice it because, again, I was too busy enjoying the most Happiest Celebration On Earth. :D

speck76

Original Poster
Wyndham Worldwide adding 400-room hotel to Bonnet Creek
Orlando Business Journal - 7:56 AM EDT Tuesday
On the heels of last week's announcement that Hilton will build a 1,500-room, two-hotel complex, Wyndham Worldwide Corp. says it will start construction later this year on a 400-room hotel.
A Wyndham Worldwide spokeswoman would not put a price tag on the project.
The new hotel, which also includes a 14,000-square-foot spa, will be located near the Hilton project and will be part of the rapidly growing Fairfield Orlando at Bonnet Creek time share complex.
Construction of the new Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Hotel and Spa at Bonnet Creek Resort is scheduled to start in the third quarter of 2006 and will open in the first quarter of 2009.
The Fairfield complex is expanding in phases, with plans for 1,594 time share units when completed. It is being developed and managed by Fairfield Resorts, a Wyndham Vacation Ownership company.
The Fairfield time share project, which will include nine towers at buildout, and the other hotel projects -- the Wyndham, the 1,000-room Hilton and its 500-room sister property, the Waldorf-Astoria Bonnet Creek -- will make up the 70-acre Bonnet Creek Resort, located adjacent to the Walt Disney World Resort in Lake Buena Vista.
The new Wyndham hotel is designed with a Spanish Mediterranean flair, according to Wyndham Worldwide, reminiscent of the historic resorts in St. Augustine.
Amenities include a two-level spa; meeting and conference space for groups from 200-300; a full-service restaurant; a cafe; a lobby bar; a resort pool with poolside dining; and cabanas.
Rooms will include high-speed Internet service, flat-panel televisions, refrigerators, microwave ovens and coffeemakers.
In keeping with a growing industry trend for rooms designed for larger groups, 80 rooms will be designed to sleep a family of six comfortably.
An 18-hole golf course designed by Rees Jones is under development for the Bonnet Creek complex.
Wyndham Worldwide, a subsidiary of Cendant Corp. (NYSE: CD), also franchises and operates the Wyndham Orlando Resort.

DisneyRoxMySox

*BUMP*

I wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone had written any letters to Hilton. Sadly it slipped my mind, but I just remembered. I debating whether it would be any good to write one now..

Also, is there any more information regarding this situation? From the Hilton or Disney side?

I am still really upset about this. I am rather strict on what you can or can't see when you are in Disney..this just upsets me. :(

mrtoad

Depending on what the view will be like when finished, WDW just needs to build something to obstruct the view from the parks. They can just go to their edge of the property near the new hotels and build something Disney themed on the WDW side to block the view. Whatever the height restiction that the hotels will face, WDW will face but will be tall enough to block. Who cares what goes on the otherside, but the view on the WDW side can be painted even like sky.

PintoColvig

mrtoad said:
Then just wait until they are done and then go 1 foot higher...
If Disney would do this, even if it is a monstrous wall, maybe other companies might think twice before building a high rise building near the property.

mrtoad

PintoColvig said:
If Disney would do this, even if it is a monstrous wall, maybe other companies might think twice before building a high rise building near the property.

I would even like to see them put a huge Mickey sticking his tongue out at the towers but then you would be doing that to potential customers. Just a wall so they we can't see them and they can't rent the rooms with an expected Epcot view. Should work and not illegal.

DisneyRoxMySox

It would be fine if they just blocked the view from inside the park..so I don't see Hiltonwhen I am in EPCOT

Disney could always book the rooms every day under different names. :D

Scar Junior

DisneyRoxMySox said:
It would be fine if they just blocked the view from inside the park..so I don't see Hiltonwhen I am in EPCOT

Yeah, no kidding. It'd be a great excuse for a Warld Showcase E ticket. But what upsets me even more is that the towers will be visible at many other places around the World (according to that graphic/map several pages back).

jmvd20

mrtoad said:
Then just wait until they are done and then go 1 foot higher...

Depending upon the exact height and location of the new building a gigantic wall would most likely not be required.

Let's just say that the new tower is 170' tall since it is supposed to be about 10 stories (with a large lobby and room ceilings?) and the farthest line of site at Epcot is 1 mile away, I think epcot is about 1/2 mile across so that's where we'll build our hill and tree line. At this location the tops of the trees would need to be about 79' tall to eliminate any sight of the tower from anywhere in Epcot. This would also eliminate all ground level views from the tower to Epcot, the buildings would still be visible from the tower. Even 50' tall trees would eliminate any view excpet for the farthest points in Epcot from the new towers.

mrtoad

Scar Junior said:
Yeah, no kidding. It'd be a great excuse for a Warld Showcase E ticket. But what upsets me even more is that the towers will be visible at many other places around the World (according to that graphic/map several pages back).

If the property is in the middle of WDW property there is not thing saying you can't build som sort of wall around it but not block their access to it, like a gate. :)

They should take a page from Chicken Little and paint it like the sky.

mrtoad

jmvd20 said:
Depending upon the exact height and location of the new building a gigantic wall would most likely not be required.

Let's just say that the new tower is 170' tall since it is supposed to be about 10 stories (with a large lobby and room ceilings?) and the farthest line of site at Epcot is 1 mile away, I think epcot is about 1/2 mile across so that's where we'll build our hill and tree line. At this location the tops of the trees would need to be about 79' tall to eliminate any sight of the tower from anywhere in Epcot. This would also eliminate any view of Epcot from the tower = problem solved. Even 50' tall trees would eliminate any view excpet for the farthest points in Epcot from the new towers.

I agree, it does not need to be if you build the wall closer to Epcot but then Hilton can still offer Epcot view rooms because they would still see Epcot. Either option would be better than none.

jmvd20

mrtoad said:
I agree, it does not need to be if you build the wall closer to Epcot but then Hilton can still offer Epcot view rooms because they would still see Epcot. Either option would be better than none.

True, I edited my post after I thought about that. All ground level views from the tower would be eliminated but you could still see the buildings and RoE from the upper floors of the tower.

It really doesn't bother me that people from the tower could see Epcot, I just don't want to see it when I am walking around WS.

DisneyRoxMySox

jmvd20 said:
True, I edited my post after I thought about that. All ground level views from the tower would be eliminated but you could still see the buildings and RoE from the upper floors of the tower.

It really doesn't bother me that people from the tower could see Epcot, I just don't want to see it when I am walking around WS.

I am angry about both, but more-so the latter. :(

mrtoad

jmvd20 said:

I agree, that is really all that matters but as posted a few up it might be visable from other parts of the resort. I would be more concerned about views from in the parks than the resorts but would prefer neither.

Disney could if they wanted to be nasty and make the area not attractive to Hilton. Parking lots around it, or CM areas or something so that the view is not so nice and they would not want to build there but I doubt they want to do it anyway but something to block the view from the parks would be nice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom