Reality takes on Fantasy, Reality up 1-0....

nelsonj3

Last week, while at the Carribean Beach, I noticed the first two towers being built. When I looked at the map, I could see why- they're right next the the Carribean Beach Resort. However, as others have already stated, you can't see the first two from Epcot as of now.

I honestly don't mind the Swan and Dolphin. I guess I've kind of gotten used to them as landmarks even if they aren't really Disney owned.

The big deal is you are suppose to feel like you are away from all the cares in the world at disney and having a hotel that sticks up like a sore thumb doesnt make me a happy epcotien.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Brian Skinner said:
All they have to do is put up giant light towers that come on and shine toward the hotels at night. That would block the view of Illuminations and the nighttime views of the park. They could be called parking lot lights that were over engineered. Mabee its time for Italy to get a ride thats a cross between the width of Soarin and the height of TOT. Dont theme the backside and mount those parking lot lights on it.

:rolleyes:

Wow... thats really petty, and spiteful.

I will be in tower 2 or 3 at Bonnet Creek, presidential suite, around x-mas this year... enjoying my view. :D :wave:

SpenceMan01

wannab@dis said:
Distance across the lake from AA to FW? (1/3 mile?)
Distance that the new resort is from Epcot? (2 miles?)
Average height of the WS buildings? (about 30 ft?)

According to Google Maps and my mostly accurate measuring:

Distance across the lake from AA to FW?
.4 miles (~1920 ft), from the edge of the stage by the FW fountain to the edge of the AA building.

Distance that the new resort is from Epcot?
~.85 miles (~4593 ft), from the front of Italy/Germany to the approximate locations of the towers. It's about .6 miles from the same point in Epcot to the edge of the Hilton property be CBR.

Average height of the WS buildings?
I'll assume a worst case scenario of 30ft. The AA building is 3 stories, so I think it's a safe bet.

Doing my calculations, I've found that, standing between the south ends of the Innoventions buildings, the bottom ~100 feet of the towers would be blocked. Assuming that the towers are 15 stories, about 1/3 of them would still be visible in the park.

Of course, these are just rough estimates and I assume level ground at all points. I did test my calculations with ToT and estimated that about 90 ft of it is blocked, leaving 109 feet visible, so take my estimates as you will.

wannab@dis

SpenceMan01 said:
According to Google Maps and my mostly accurate measuring:

Distance across the lake from AA to FW?
.4 miles (~1920 ft), from the edge of the stage by the FW fountain to the edge of the AA building.

Distance that the new resort is from Epcot?
~.85 miles (~4593 ft), from the front of Italy/Germany to the approximate locations of the towers. It's about .6 miles from the same point in Epcot to the edge of the Hilton property be CBR.

Average height of the WS buildings?
I'll assume a worst case scenario of 30ft. The AA building is 3 stories, so I think it's a safe bet.

Doing my calculations, I've found that, standing between the south ends of the Innoventions buildings, the bottom ~100 feet of the towers would be blocked. Assuming that the towers are 15 stories, about 1/3 of them would still be visible in the park.

Of course, these are just rough estimates and I assume level ground at all points. I did test my calculations with ToT and estimated that about 90 ft of it is blocked, leaving 109 feet visible, so take my estimates as you will.
Geeks-r-us, huh? :lol:

A little more visible than what I had calculated (used 2 miles), but I still don't think it will be "invasive" at that distance away.

WDWcouple

DMC-12 said:
:rolleyes:

Wow... thats really petty, and spiteful.

I will be in tower 2 or 3 at Bonnet Creek, presidential suite, around x-mas this year... enjoying my view. :D :wave:

That would indeed be difficult unless the presidential suite will be carefully balanced atop a crane come Christmas time :xmas: :hammer:

kcnole

The big deal is you are suppose to feel like you are away from all the cares in the world at disney and having a hotel that sticks up like a sore thumb doesnt make me a happy epcotien.

Well, Epcot is the park who can handle it the best. It's about progress and the future as well as a cultural understanding. While I don't like seeing the towers, it'll be much better than seeing them pop up behind cinderella's castle. I don't think it'll be horrible and I doubt your average guest will even notice. The worst locations of intrusiveness will be Typhoon Lagoon and Pop Century.

And as others have already stated, you can see the swann, dolphin, and contemporary from within MK and that's never bothered my sense of fantasy. Now seeing a waffle house or a gas station would, but a hotel isn't that big of a deal as long as it isn't some god awful design.

napnet

I agree, as long as its tastefully themed it shouldn't bother me too much. I actually enjoy the view of the Swan and Dolphin (especially at night) from Epcot. And as for ToT, i never really realized you could see it since it fit in well with Morocco and the area. As long as there isnt a big "HILTON" sign on the top in flashing red or a picture of Paris i'll be happy.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Judging by the picture Speck posted a while ago, I'm rather surprised Disney didn't pursue the property with a bit more zeal, given it's *very* close proximity to CBR and Pop Century. On one hand, it doesn't really matter to me. On the other hand, it kind of ruins a small piece of the magic knowing there's a Hilton right next to CBR and Pop. *shrugs*

hokielutz

I worry for those parking at Pop. Those lots are running parallel to a couple of golf holes on the property with not much of a border according to the picture.

Some of my worst hook/slice tee shots look like they could have a good chance at finding the parking lots. :eek:

bucklmd

Maybe we can all just use our Disney Imaginations and imagine the towers aren't there!!! :)

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it's a big deal and I don't think a few distant towers are going to ruin my Disney vacation. Plus, a little more competition can't be a bad thing for those of us looking for good deals at Disney hotels.

Thanks for sharing the info!

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
hokielutz said:
I worry for those parking at Pop. Those lots are running parallel to a couple of golf holes on the property with not much of a border according to the picture.

Some of my worst hook/slice tee shots look like they could have a good chance at finding the parking lots. :eek:

Worst tee shots? Those would be some of my best!

freediverdude

Using the calculations above, it sounds like the towers would be small squares visible above AA from all the way back at Innoventions, but probably not visible from within World Showcase. I guess this would be tolerable, but I still don't like the idea of something towering above the American Adventure as you're approaching World Showcase. The American Adventure is the one pavilion you're supposed to see as you're walking across the bridge, welcoming you into the World Showcase. I'm kind of surprised that Disney let this happen, if they had a choice. But then again, I never thought I'd be clearly seeing gas station signs and billboards from a room at Animal Kingdom Lodge either. I won't be staying in a standard room there again, lol. I can see that from a days inn on 192.

SirNim

The quite simple remedy is to paint the new hotel towers Soarin'-SkyBlue. They'll blend right into the sky on all but the most overcast days.

It is a shame Disney was never able to acquire this parcel of land. It's just business, I suppose, to develop it... Still slightly unsettling, though...

8<:-)

Now if they could make the towers look kinda like the WTC buildings in the distance over AA I guess that would be freaky....

-thedisneycast

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom