People who "think" they know Disney ....

On the flip side of this argument, I was sitting having lunch at work when I over heard another so called 'know it all' going on about how they'd only got to Florida for Disney then move out of state as all Florida was, was Disney and that they'd go out of Florida to Key West :shrug:

Laura

Premium Member
Honestly, I don't think knowing more about Disney World makes one person better than another. Different people know about different things. There's not a competition going on to see who knows the most about Disney World.

If I'm ever talking to someone who knows less about Disney than me, so what. No good really comes from talking down to people or putting them in their place or trying to be a know-it-all. Just leave people alone and don't butt in on their Disney experiences or offer your advice unless they specifically ask you to.

Dwarful

Were you singing the 'trolley song' from "Meet Me In St. Louis"? The one CM sing on Main St. USA? you know, 'Clang, clang, clang went the trolley, ding, ding, ding, went the bell?" That is one of my all time favorite musicals. We always sing it as we walk down MSUSA..that one and of course "I'm walking right down the middle of MSUSA".

Side note..we rode Splash Mountain in July with a woman and her child, they were behind us. The woman kept yelling things to her son, my youngest kept telling me to be quiet because she thought I was the one making the noise (and it was pretty comical). At one point mom and son stood up in the boat to get a better wave off to grandma and grandpa! Then mom says "Its fine son, I've been riding Splash Mountain every trip for the past 25 years. Its one little hill and nothing more". I don't know if mom was confused or what. But it was interesting.

Elonwy

I figure there's always someone out there that knows more about Disney than I do, but since I know a lot about Disney I will correct someone if they're giving out wrong info. For example, I overheard someone telling their friends that Epcot is the worst park because it doesn't even have rides, only walk through countries. I just said, "Actually the Future World part, you know with Spaceship Earth is part of Epcot, too and there's a few rides in that section."

The people had only been to Disney once and they were getting confused because they spent one day at Future World and one at World Showcase but once I told them, they realized what I was talking about.

I don't think it's a terrible thing for people not to know a lot about Disney, I have told someone before that POTC actually WASN'T at "MGM Studios" but at The Magic Kingdom and they said, I've been there TWICE...I KNOW where it is. So I said, "Ok, I guess one of us is mistaken" and left it at that because what's the point of discussing it with someone so sure of themsleves? They can spend all day looking for pirates at the Studios if they want to...meanwhile, I'll have already ridden it...twice :)

ChrisQ

I re-read the original post a couple more times, and I just don't detect the arrogance (or smugness or whatever) that some people in this thread have insinuated is there. I may be wrong, but the point I see Dixiegirl trying to make is that sometimes the people who talk the most about WDW are the ones who seem to be misinformed.

Wilt Dasney

I may be wrong, but the point I see Dixiegirl trying to make is that sometimes the people who talk the most about WDW are the ones who seem to be misinformed.
Using that yardstick, this site must have the market cornered on misinformed people, I'd think. :lol: :lookaroun

Like I said, different people just perceive things differently. I suspect if I came across someone chattering away about WDW with about half the details wrong, I'd just be happy they were so excited about it. (I've always felt like knowing a lot about Disney probably is a more unflattering reflection on me than on the people who haven't put in hours researching Mickey and Cinderella.) :lol: :eek:

Sleepy01

The other day I was talking to friends and went on and on about how Lebron James and Kobe Bryant said Michael Phelps lived in the water and joked about how he slept in an aquarium.

Imagine my embarrassment when I got home and was watching 'SportsCenter' and saw it was actually Dwayne Wade that said it.

My dad was at the Magic Kingdom opening day and has made many many many trips with the most recent being December of 2007. He calls the All-Star Sports Resort the All Sport, Mickey's Philharmagic Mickey's Philharmonic and Test Track Fast Track no matter how many times I correct him.

I've never understood the big deal about people calling things the wrong name or getting things wrong about it. The only time I interject is if someone is giving wrong information to someone planning a trip or someone in the park.

jmvd20

It never really bugs me if I hear people say that they love the giant golf ball ride, or that Epcot is better than Disney World, or if they dont know every song played on property. However, if they were correcting people or arguing with wrong information - well that is another story.

I guess it just comes down to the fact that the people you saw were most likely really excited about going to WDW, and were letting that excitement show.

It may be surprising to some people but it truly is possible to enjoy yourself at WDW even if you dont know what year the soda stand at soundstage 3 was installed, or that the bench near Its a Small World hasn't been painted in 5 years, 2 months and 16 days.

Expo_Seeker40

I once told my Grandparents to make a stop at the MerfCove......and they just stared at me......:lookaroun

But they know Epcot is part of WDW!!!:sohappy::D:cool:

WDW 3

We were on the monorail with a couple of men, obviously attending a conference (they were in suits). One was as arrogant as they come. He was complaining about WDW not having any gourmet dining. I guess he was the expert! The best part was when the family in the next seat, behind snooty guy, held a crying baby over their shoulder, right in his ear. Seem perfect from our seat.:ROFLOL:

pcarathers

My next younger sister and I took another sister & her two boys to Disney in 2006. All she had to pay was her spending. We told her a real small amount (about $800 for 7 days). That was less than $40 for each of them for each day. Her mother in law told her there was no reason to take that much money. There was just one park and there was no reason to stay there 7 days. One time we happened to be at my sister's house when the "in-law" said that. I point blank told her that there are 4 parks, plus 2 water parks, plus Downtown Disney. She looked at me and said "when did they do that?" The last time she went was when my brother in law was 5!!! Almost 30 years ago!!!! Some people are just clueless!!!:hammer:

GenerationX

I, for one, really look down on those who know less about Disney than I do. Usually, a dose of well-timed derisive laughter or a condescending retort will put those sub-humans back in their place. Who do these know-it-all wannabes think they are? Me?? Hah!

Elonwy

I think my biggest pet peeve is people calling "Walt Disney World" "Disneyland". I don't make a big fuss about it since I've been to both but I know my family doesn't like when people confuse the two.

I just don't know how to say, "Actually, it's Walt Disney WORLD" without sounding to snobby :lol:

wvdisneyfamily

Honestly, I don't think knowing more about Disney World makes one person better than another. Different people know about different things. There's not a competition going on to see who knows the most about Disney World.

If I'm ever talking to someone who knows less about Disney than me, so what. No good really comes from talking down to people or putting them in their place or trying to be a know-it-all. Just leave people alone and don't butt in on their Disney experiences or offer your advice unless they specifically ask you to.

Well said! :sohappy:

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
When overhearing others...I tend to put them in two classes...the arrogant know it alls, and the honestly confused. When I hear some obnoxious comment or an incorrect statement...I just smile and ignore it. Sometimes when someone seems honestly confused...I will stop and offer help. More often than not, the people are grateful for the information...and I'm glad I can help someone else's experience.

Tramp

A little ignorance is bliss.

Knowing too much is tantamount to knowing how the magician does his tricks. :shrug:

Dwarful

Knowing too much is tantamount to knowing how the magician does his tricks. :shrug:

AMEN! AMEN! AND AMEN!!!!

We rode POTC once and happened to get stuck in a boat with a woman who held some type of job at WDW. She was with a couple with two young children. The woman yammered along the entire ride. When she started to discuss the various characters I spoke up and said "excuse me, I am sure you don't realize, but you are ruining the magic for the younger set in this boat, including my own children" I think the shock of my opinion shut her up. I can sit through quite a bit, but, there is a time and place for everything and not everyone needs to hear certain information.

Stellajack

I, for one, really look down on those who know less about Disney than I do. Usually, a dose of well-timed derisive laughter or a condescending retort will put those sub-humans back in their place. Who do these know-it-all wannabes think they are? Me?? Hah!

Yeah, what he said.:D

yeti

I look down on those fools....those pitiful fools....from my Cinderella Castle.....
Then I crawl back in my corner, curl myself into a ball, and banish myself from soceity, nodding back and forth, back and forth.....

SOMEDAY THEY'LL SEE....OH THEY'LL SEE, AND THEY'LL REGRET THEIR MISJUDGEMENT OF MY MAGICAL WORLD....:drevil:

:lookaroun

Forgive me, it's been a while since I last saw sunlight...perhaps I've locked myself in my computer room a little too long now...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom