People who "think" they know Disney ....

scottnj1966

i hate when people think The Magic Kingdom is WDW. They dont understand that the entire "world" is made up of all that it is. I'll say, "We just got back from WDW"...and someone will ask..."How was Universal Studios?" It drives me nuts

Well when I was a kid the MK was the only park they had. Back then we just called the MK just plain Disney. We went many times living down the street from it.

Now we of course call it by its real name but sometimes I still slip up and call it disney hahahha

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Knowing too much is tantamount to knowing how the magician does his tricks. :shrug:
VERY well said, Sir! :sohappy:

AMEN! AMEN! AND AMEN!!!!

We rode POTC once and happened to get stuck in a boat with a woman who held some type of job at WDW. She was with a couple with two young children. The woman yammered along the entire ride. When she started to discuss the various characters I spoke up and said "excuse me, I am sure you don't realize, but you are ruining the magic for the younger set in this boat, including my own children" I think the shock of my opinion shut her up. I can sit through quite a bit, but, there is a time and place for everything and not everyone needs to hear certain information.

Another great point. At the end of the day, what one needs to remember is that a trip to WDW someone's vacation. (It may even be the trip of their lifetime!) If someone is genuinely confused and is perceptive to help, then politely offer. It's called Disney Magic for a reason.

devoy1701

In my six years at Disney Store, I've heard a lot of misinformation. I try to correct them,if only to make sure they don't miss out on anything during their visit.
The best was when some woman yelled at me,literally, about the holiday lights at DHS. She insisted that they were the "Ozzy Osborne Lights". She went on and on about it-claimed she had the whole thing on video that said it was Ozzy's show.

That's dumb! Ozzy spells his name Osbourne anyway!

I knew it wasn't Ozzy's show, but your post inspired me to find out the history of the Osborne family. It's a pretty neat little story!

WhatJaneSays

I very rarely run into a Disney know-it-all (that doesn't). I have come across many that really do seem to know everything about a certain aspect of Disney and they are very fun to swap trivia with.

The only time I get annoyed is if people come to me for Disney advice and then try to tell me "how it is". Sorry you really can't walk to Islands of Adventure from DHS, you won't see Shamu at the Seas and the World goes farther than the Monorail can take you. I only try to correct people if it's going to make them feel disappointed or confused once they get there (where things are located/what things you'll see in each park). The rest I leave as part of the Magic; Walt's frozen head is under MK, SSE can shed it's tiles for cleaning and believe everything you bus driver tells you.

devoy1701

Jain;3072011[SIZE=1 said:
SSE can shed it's tiles for cleaning .
[/SIZE]

OH man do I WISH this one was true! They need to get the worlds tallest Cherry Picker out there and a pressure washer!

wvdisneyfamily

I very rarely run into a Disney know-it-all (that doesn't). I have come across many that really do seem to know everything about a certain aspect of Disney and they are very fun to swap trivia with.

The only time I get annoyed is if people come to me for Disney advice and then try to tell me "how it is". Sorry you really can't walk to Islands of Adventure from DHS, you won't see Shamu at the Seas and the World goes farther than the Monorail can take you. I only try to correct people if it's going to make them feel disappointed or confused once they get there (where things are located/what things you'll see in each park). The rest I leave as part of the Magic; Walt's frozen head is under MK, SSE can shed it's tiles for cleaning and believe everything you bus driver tells you.

You mean it can't....I'm so disappointed.

:lookaroun:lookaroun:lookaroun

WhatJaneSays

You mean it can't....I'm so disappointed.

:lookaroun:lookaroun:lookaroun
It's funny I only heard the SSE tiles story earlier this year. The gentleman that was telling the story was just so animated while he was describing how they pop off the very top tile with a helicopter and then the outer parts slide over each other down to the ground level. Apparently each tile is on some kind of mechanical arm and the whole thing folds up like a flower exposing the entire inner workings of the ride.

I remember thinking "That is so awesome! Oh, I wish it were true."

partyoffour

Every trip I learn something new.
Even on this board i learn something different everyday. But I do have 4 kids so I am not a disney whiz like most of u.
Why not just correct people or just ignore them if they have the wrong info??? :shrug:

Rufus T Firefly

I'm probably in the minority here. But, I don't like to be rude or appear to be a know it all. So when someone tells me something about Disney that I know is totally false, I listen politely and agree with them. Sometimes I may respond back with a little misinformation of my own. :lookaroun

yankspy

I really don't see the point in offering advice or information when it isn't asked for. Who cares if someone calls WDW DL or Test Track fast track? The world will not end if someone has misconceptions or incorrect information about WDW. Sometimes I wonder if offering "suggestions" is a person's own way of showing how much they know to themselves. For example if your mother-in-law came up to you and said "that's a nice way of doing _____, but here's how you can do it better" would most people be appreciative, and would it be right for the mother-in-law to think you're stupid because you're not doing it her way?

I wear a Mickey Mouse pin on my lab coat lapel, my patients know that I'm a Disney nut and that I know a lot about WDW (at least I think I do) but I only bring up WDW if they ask me about it. I've had many patients say that it's only for kids or that their child has to be at least 5 to enjoy it. I don't tell them that WDW is extremely romantic and that my wife and I were engaged there or that my son has been there 10 times and he's not even 3 yet. It's not my place to correct them. If they ask my opinions or experiences I will gladly give them to them, but who says we have to be the special keepers of Disney knowlege and that everyone who knows less is not as important as we are? I don't sweat the small stuff and try to pick my "battles".
I respectfully disagree. Many people are afraid to ask. I have given unsolicited advice on numerous occasions and the people were quite thankful. If my Mother-in-law gave me a way to do something better I would be thankful. Is it a matter of pride? I do understand if someone is trying to beat you over the head with their opinion or if they are acting in a condescending manner. I would agree that that is annoying.
Well said. When I feel the urge to "correct" somebody, I think about how much I hate to be given unsolicited advice, and I usually let it go.
Why? It is free advice. You never know when it could be useful. My last trip was a solo one and I gave tons of unsolicited advice to people who loved it. There was even one family who invited me to spend the day with them. I do not mean to offend you, I am just missing the logic here. It seems like a matter of pride to me.

Phonedave

Why? It is free advice. You never know when it could be useful. My last trip was a solo one and I gave tons of unsolicited advice to people who loved it. There was even one family who invited me to spend the day with them. I do not mean to offend you, I am just missing the logic here. It seems like a matter of pride to me.

For me its a fine line

Here is an example.

That show starts and 3:00 and at 9:00. Most of the time the crowds are a lot smaller at the 9:00 show

or

That show starts at 3:00 and at 9:00, you should go to the 9:00 one.

Do you see the difference? One is stating facts, the other is telling a person what to do. I have no problem with unsolicited facts (giving or getting) but not advice. Maybe I have a small kid who sleeps at 9:00, maybe I have ADR's at 8:30 and now I feel like I should rush them.

The two cases I gave are pretty subtle, but I have heard people telling other people (somtimes myself) what is the ABSOLUTE BEST way to do something and that I MUST do it that way. Thats really not helpful, and I tend to ignore advice like that.

-dave

yankspy

For me its a fine line

Here is an example.

That show starts and 3:00 and at 9:00. Most of the time the crowds are a lot smaller at the 9:00 show

or

That show starts at 3:00 and at 9:00, you should go to the 9:00 one.

Do you see the difference? One is stating facts, the other is telling a person what to do. I have no problem with unsolicited facts (giving or getting) but not advice. Maybe I have a small kid who sleeps at 9:00, maybe I have ADR's at 8:30 and now I feel like I should rush them.

The two cases I gave are pretty subtle, but I have heard people telling other people (somtimes myself) what is the ABSOLUTE BEST way to do something and that I MUST do it that way. Thats really not helpful, and I tend to ignore advice like that.

-dave
Absolutely. I do tend to be very humble when giving unsolicited facts, as you properly stated. There is a lot in how you say it.

scheat

I think it totally depends on the person's attitude while providing false information. If they are a big blowhard about it and act like an ______ when someone politely corrects them, then that would be somewhat annoying. If they accept that there's a chance they might be mistaken, then it's just another conversation about DW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom