People who "think" they know Disney ....

yankspy

I can see both sides here. It is human nature to think that you may know all there is to know about a subject that you devote a lot of time to. I tend to perk up and see what a person really knows when I hear a historical or philosophical discussion. On the other hand, as someone stated, there is always someone who knows more. You can never be sure. A person could have limited knowledge of Disney but could still tell an expert something that he or she simply missed over the years. I say always try and keep an open mind. :)

Elonwy

Knowing too much is tantamount to knowing how the magician does his tricks. :shrug:

how true...I've actually learned a few secrets on here that made me forget about the "Disney Magic" and see the literal, clinical and mechanical reality of how things work and why the are the way they are.

I promise to put my Disney eyes on when I go back, though so I can only see what I want to see.

I DO belive in Fairies, I DO believe in Fairies :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

wdwjmp239

I used to key into other people's conversations about what they know about Disney and really, it makes me feel really stupid because alot of the stuff I've heard in the past just sounds like poor planning.

My favorite conversation I overheard was this couple who were talking about just walking into the Castle to have dinner (on New Year's Eve, no less). Here I am thinking that I could be the good guy, I told them that the restaurant was full(I had called for ressies just to see if my wife and I could get in). Well, they looked at me as if to say, "What business is it of yours?" I took a hint and left.

The next day, my wife and I saw them at The Polynesian Resort (we were having breakfast at Ohana). The guy saw us waiting in the lobby to be seated and apologized for his rudeness. I kind of shook it off and told him to forget about it.

Who knew it worked out pretty well in the end and we wound up just hanging out with him and his wife for the rest of the weekend. It was a good time. :)

wdwjmp239

AMEN! AMEN! AND AMEN!!!!

We rode POTC once and happened to get stuck in a boat with a woman who held some type of job at WDW. She was with a couple with two young children. The woman yammered along the entire ride. When she started to discuss the various characters I spoke up and said "excuse me, I am sure you don't realize, but you are ruining the magic for the younger set in this boat, including my own children" I think the shock of my opinion shut her up. I can sit through quite a bit, but, there is a time and place for everything and not everyone needs to hear certain information.

Yeah, there's always some know-it-all blabbing away about something that always ruins it for other people (especially if its their first time to Disney).

Wilt Dasney

I used to key into other people's conversations about what they know about Disney and really, it makes me feel really stupid because alot of the stuff I've heard in the past just sounds like poor planning.

My favorite conversation I overheard was this couple who were talking about just walking into the Castle to have dinner (on New Year's Eve, no less). Here I am thinking that I could be the good guy, I told them that the restaurant was full(I had called for ressies just to see if my wife and I could get in). Well, they looked at me as if to say, "What business is it of yours?" I took a hint and left.

The next day, my wife and I saw them at The Polynesian Resort (we were having breakfast at Ohana). The guy saw us waiting in the lobby to be seated and apologized for his rudeness. I kind of shook it off and told him to forget about it.

Who knew it worked out pretty well in the end and we wound up just hanging out with him and his wife for the rest of the weekend. It was a good time. :)
Nice story. If that ain't Disney magic, nothing is.

Disneybub

I was booking my latest holiday, and while in the travel agent, i was listening to the people behind me and and they were excited about going to Florida and playing golf in the epcot globe! i started laughing but i didnt have the heart to tell them.

scarpiapiano

I knew a guy named Eddy who I worked with until 2006. He had worked at the Magic Kingdom back in the late '70's or early '80's. He still thinks he's an expert because he's a former employee but doesn't keep up with any research or websites. He has told me crap about how they're going to be building a monorail from the airport to all of the resorts, and how his inside information gives him the scoop on new attractions that he can't talk about. However, I was the one who told him about new DVC resorts, the Dining Plan, ride closures, Expedition Everest, Mickey's PhilharMagic, Mission Space etc.

When I really had to laugh was when I saw a Disney Planning video displayed on his desk. He told me that when he had called for the dvd, Diney had "sent it right out to him" as if to say the Disney people had said "Guys, we just got a call from Eddy, that's right, Eddy. Get this dvd to him ASAP!" I think I told him that convicts in Leavenworth could get Disney planning materials sent to them.

devoy1701

Haha,yeah,it's always fun to hear someone spout off information of Fast Track and how it was a part of EPCOT Central back in the '70's.:lol:
:lookaroun

Whenever I hear someone mention how great Fast Track is I can never figure out if they're talking about Test Track or Fast Pass. :brick:

Captain Chaos

My friend is like this.... We go every year... I think I know a lot about Disney World, and the company in general... Where I used to work, people came to me when they were planning a vacation.... My friend only knows so much because of me.... And even that, he doesn't know much... So, when I tell him people come to me for vacation advise, he says the same thing... How in work they call him their resident Disney expert... However, when he brings things up, he couldn't be so wrong lol.... I always correct him, and he still cannot accept that he was wrong.... Lately, I just let him talk....

durangojim

I really don't see the point in offering advice or information when it isn't asked for. Who cares if someone calls WDW DL or Test Track fast track? The world will not end if someone has misconceptions or incorrect information about WDW. Sometimes I wonder if offering "suggestions" is a person's own way of showing how much they know to themselves. For example if your mother-in-law came up to you and said "that's a nice way of doing _____, but here's how you can do it better" would most people be appreciative, and would it be right for the mother-in-law to think you're stupid because you're not doing it her way?

I wear a Mickey Mouse pin on my lab coat lapel, my patients know that I'm a Disney nut and that I know a lot about WDW (at least I think I do) but I only bring up WDW if they ask me about it. I've had many patients say that it's only for kids or that their child has to be at least 5 to enjoy it. I don't tell them that WDW is extremely romantic and that my wife and I were engaged there or that my son has been there 10 times and he's not even 3 yet. It's not my place to correct them. If they ask my opinions or experiences I will gladly give them to them, but who says we have to be the special keepers of Disney knowlege and that everyone who knows less is not as important as we are? I don't sweat the small stuff and try to pick my "battles".

montyz81

I know exactly what you are all saying. I honestly don't know as much I am sure about Walter Elias and his magical company as you all on here. That said, I have similar passion about cars as you all do about Disney. I once heard someone tell me that Infiniti was going to go bankrupt. I thought gee, then what about Nissan, are they going bankrupt too, I asked? He said, no Toyota owns them so there is no way they will go out of business. I thought holly crap, this guy is a butte! I too had to control the urge to correct him and tell him that Nissan was not going out of business and neither was Infiniti because Infiniti is just a brand and not a company. And Toyota doesn't have any stake in Nissan. It is Renault that in fact owns a controlling stake in Nissan! It was very painful to listen to! I absolutely know what y'all are talking about

disneymyway

I was booking my latest holiday, and while in the travel agent, i was listening to the people behind me and and they were excited about going to Florida and playing golf in the epcot globe! i started laughing but i didnt have the heart to tell them.

:shrug: What? You don't like playing golf up there! It's a "must do" for us! :ROFLOL:

That's so funny, I wouldn't have had the heart to tell them either. That's the kind of thing that when they find out, they'll just hope no one heard them saying it!

Katherine

It doesn't bother me except I have one friend that always has to win no matter what the topic. She is "obsessed" with disney and can act like a real know-it-all. Sometimes it erks me though and I start to dight back and whip out information asserting my dominance. I know it's childish but if I don't sometimes it really grates on me since I think all she's done is go to WDW maybe once and watched a lot of the Disney movies. However, in general I keep a low profile so usually I don't whip out so much information to make me seem like a total weirdo. haha.

Eyorefan

When overhearing others...I tend to put them in two classes...the arrogant know it alls, and the honestly confused.

Very well said. I really have no problem with people who are honestly confused. I mean, Disney World is a theme park, a vacation most people are happy to go to once in their lives, if at all, why would a NORMAL person know that much about it? Honestly I'm embarssed to know as much as I do about it some times.

Its the arrogant ones that get on my nerves and I believe that is what the OP was getting at. Some people have to be the "experts" on everything. No one else will ever have valuable information to offer in any conversation and that's just gets annoying.

To the OP, I think you were right for keeping quiet. No sense on raining on their parade and causing a big stir. I only step in when I hear someone giveing someone bad advise that will negativly impact their vacation.

bsbrady

Just think, all the people that "think" they know, allow us, the people who do know, to use all the little tips & tricks to have a better WDW vacation

durangojim

Just think, all the people that "think" they know, allow us, the people who do know, to use all the little tips & tricks to have a better WDW vacation

Very true, I'm quite content to keep as many tricks and tips to myself so that I can benefit from them, such as the keypad at the entrance to the park that allows the super secret entrance to Soarin, Test Track, and Midway Mania, all will wait times of less than 5 minutes, but I've said too much already.

weluvtink

In my six years at Disney Store, I've heard a lot of misinformation. I try to correct them,if only to make sure they don't miss out on anything during their visit.
The best was when some woman yelled at me,literally, about the holiday lights at DHS. She insisted that they were the "Ozzy Osborne Lights". She went on and on about it-claimed she had the whole thing on video that said it was Ozzy's show.

PoutyFace

Is it just me or is it amazing the amount of negativity growing around here lately?? Just asked a simple question, never said I know everything, I'm constanly learning something new.....Did'nt mean to come off like that if I did....:brick:

You created a topic to moan about people, and then complain about negativity? Really?

wvdisneyfamily

i was booking my latest holiday, and while in the travel agent, i was listening to the people behind me and and they were excited about going to florida and playing golf in the epcot globe! I started laughing but i didnt have the heart to tell them.

That is great. You should have suggested they get some Beverly before they tee off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom