People who "think" they know Disney ....

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
69 dude..........................

You ARE the master!
king-033.gif

WhatJaneSays

I'm probably in the minority here. But, I don't like to be rude or appear to be a know it all. So when someone tells me something about Disney that I know is totally false, I listen politely and agree with them. Sometimes I may respond back with a little misinformation of my own. :lookaroun
The only time I really "but in" is if there is going to be major disappointment involved. I mentioned Shamu in a previous post because just such a thing happened once.

I co-worker and her family were going to WDW for the first time last year. She came to me and I gave her some maps and things to help plan the trip. I overhead her telling her young daughter, who had a love of sea life, that they were going to see Shamu. I offered to bring her my Sea World map because I though they were going to take a day out and head over there. She told me that it was all part of Disney. I tried to explain that they were not on the same property, but it would be fairly simply to go to Sea World in the same trip. Well, she didn't believe me and her daughter was heartbroken to say the least.

Sometimes it's best to correct people. I felt bad that the girl didn't get to see Shamu, but I would have felt worse if I didn't at least try to warn mom. :brick:

iheartdisney91

omg well a couple years back we went with our cousins to WDW and they ahvnt been in 13 years and they only went once. while my family has gone every year since i was 2, i am now 17. my cousin insisted that she knew what she was talking about and where she was going and she yelled at me for telling her she wasnt any where near her destination. and i screamed back at her "you have been here how many times?" lol but its just mad me sooooooooo mad.

but then its always a "feel good" feeling when you assist someone who looks confused in WDW. i was waiting outside the bathroom in frontier land and this women was reading a Disney quide book. and seh was swearing that she didnt see any of this.... well her book was for DL and i explained to her they are different and she thanked me so much it was pretty funny

devoy1701

omg well a couple years back we went with our cousins to WDW and they ahvnt been in 13 years and they only went once. while my family has gone every year since i was 2, i am now 17. my cousin insisted that she knew what she was talking about and where she was going and she yelled at me for telling her she wasnt any where near her destination. and i screamed back at her "you have been here how many times?" lol but its just mad me sooooooooo mad.

but then its always a "feel good" feeling when you assist someone who looks confused in WDW. i was waiting outside the bathroom in frontier land and this women was reading a Disney quide book. and seh was swearing that she didnt see any of this.... well her book was for DL and i explained to her they are different and she thanked me so much it was pretty funny

when i was still in high school my friend and I would walk around Busch Gardens Tampa with a Sea World Map, a video camera, and straw grass hats (pulling off the tourist thing quite well) asking park employees "Donde es Shamu?!" :lookaroun

lumpydj

The only time the "know it all's" bother me is when they argue with me about stuff. :fork: I recently went to DL. When I told them we were going to DL in CA, they said - "No, it WDW that's in CA. DL's in FL." Are you kidding me????? :hammer: Or when they offer me unsolicited advice... I mind my own business and don't offer anything unless asked - except if I see they're about to make a big mistake (not calling ahead for dining, etc). But that's when someone's having a discussion with me personally. I would never butt into someone else's conversation and interject...

KingStefan

Are you saying that he is a Master of 69????? It appears as though this thready is getting a little out there......and not very family friendly.... :lookaroun

References to Bill and Ted (dude)!

The Sak beat me to it! It was the very first thing that popped in my mind when Unk first said "What number am I thinking of?"

Be excellent to each other, and ... Party on, dude!

datw@epcot

And there are more than a few who grace us with their company in these parts...:brick: :( :zipit:
You mentioned arrogance in this forum - I'm new to this game and I've noticed all of the abbreviations used in the posts, many of which I have no idea what they stand for. I find this posting style to be a little arrogant, especially to those who only casually view the forum. So my question for the posters who assume I know what they're talking about is, is there some sort of "WDW Magic Glossary" somewhere on this site?

KingStefan

You mentioned arrogance in this forum - I'm new to this game and I've noticed all of the abbreviations used in the posts, many of which I have no idea what they stand for. I find this posting style to be a little arrogant, especially to those who only casually view the forum. So my question for the posters who assume I know what they're talking about is, is there some sort of "WDW Magic Glossary" somewhere on this site?

Hi! Welcome to the boards! I hope you like it here.

After a while, you'll get used to most abbreviations. I know it seems arrogant at first, but it's not meant to be, really. Perhaps a bit elitist.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/acronyms.htm

One of my pet peves is that these are often called acronyms (just look at the file name, for example!) but most of them are really abbreviations. An acronym is pronouncable. So, for example, Epcot is an acronym (or was originally - another great debate), but the abbreviation for Mickey's not-so-scary Halloween party, MNSSHP, is not, because people don't go around saying "Hey, let's get tickets to munisishup". If they did, it would be an acronym.

Maybe it's a nit-pick, since we're all just typing and not talking out loud, so it doesn't really make a difference, but it's a pet peeve of mine nevertheless!

daverube

References to Bill and Ted (dude)!

The Sak beat me to it! It was the very first thing that popped in my mind when Unk first said "What number am I thinking of?"

Be excellent to each other, and ... Party on, dude!

ummm.....what does bill and ted mean???? I couldn't find it on the acronym chart.... :shrug:

;)

RiversideBunny

...After a while, you'll get used to most abbreviations....

The only one that I usually have a problem with is SGE.
I keep thinking that it's something good, something that must be connected with Space Ship Earth or such, and then it turns out to be that abomination 'Stitch's Great Escape'.

IHMO
:)

devoy1701

The only one that I usually have a problem with is SGE.
I keep thinking that it's something good, something that must be connected with Space Ship Earth or such, and then it turns out to be that abomination 'Stitch's Great Escape'.

IHMO
:)

the ones that got me were WWTBAM:pI and HISTK

disneydiva72

It never really bugs me if I hear people say that they love the giant golf ball ride, or that Epcot is better than Disney World, or if they dont know every song played on property. However, if they were correcting people or arguing with wrong information - well that is another story.

I guess it just comes down to the fact that the people you saw were most likely really excited about going to WDW, and were letting that excitement show.

It may be surprising to some people but it truly is possible to enjoy yourself at WDW even if you dont know what year the soda stand at soundstage 3 was installed, or that the bench near Its a Small World hasn't been painted in 5 years, 2 months and 16 days.

Perfectly said :lol:

Tramp

I know what I know but don't know what I don't know until I know I didn't know it. :shrug:

For instance, I never knew that the largest tower on Cinderella Castle actually houses a nuclear warhead. Two smaller towers actually contain 3rd generation Patriot missiles. You never could be too careful with all those pool hoppers and fast pass haters who may be disgruntled guests. :lookaroun

Is that twilight zone music I hear?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom