People Seem Jaded About Disney World in General

G00fyDad

So really, what's the point of this whiney little thread?

To bash those of us who still hold Disney to its own standards? To rant and complain about those of us who will rant and complain about the things Disney conditioned us to know are not acceptable in its parks? Or just to feel better in knowing that there are enough folks out there who either think WDW has never been better (PURE and utter BS!) or that it still is great, so that the addiction to the place is more justifiable?

Or is there really no point at all?

As to the other thread, which I never saw or took part in regarding grading Disney, I'd put it somewhere around a C+/B- product based on what it has offered in the past, its current standards and offerings, its price points, what it offers at its other resorts around the globe (as I've been lucky enough to travel to all of the other resorts multiple times) and what the competition is offering. ... In some individual areas, I'd give higher grades to Disney and in some lower ones.

And 74 comes in to a calm thread swinging........ o_O

Remind us again why you still go to Disney World? :confused:

Don't take too much offense to this. I find you hysterical.

MerlinTheGoat

This thread was hardly calm even from the opening post. The point of this thread is telling people who don't 100% praise everything WDW does to just leave these forums. '74 is right in questioning the thread's point. He's a lot harsher about responding to it than I was, but reasonably so and he's not afraid to tell it like it is. This thread despite being worded somewhat more politely than some of the troll posts on here, really just comes across as whiny itself. Not to mention focusing on the more petty complaints (like the turkey leg comment), and not the most glaring complaints like major broken show elements

And while people who complain about Disney present logical and factual reasons why they're irritated, this thread just reads as "leave if you can't 100% praise everything Disney does". That's the problem I have with that end of the argument. I've seen this thread's point made in more antagonistic and blatantly trolling ways, but it's still the same message. People have a right to say what they want about how they feel about the parks here.

ParentsOf4

IMHO, the original poster's post was from someone relatively new to these threads who expressed a sincerely felt opinion. Whether or not I agree with it, I think it's inappropriate to use incendiary words such as "whiney" or "troll" to suggest that there is something nefarious in the OP's intentions.

Those of us who have lurked around this forum for some time have seen this sort of thread pop up from time-to-time. We all know how this discussion is going to end.;)

MerlinTheGoat

I don't think the thread creator is a troll, I was directing that towards certain people outside this thread (whom I won't name but are rather well known here). Trolling is far more violent and antagonistic, blatantly so. But I do think the underlying tone of this thread comes off as a bit whiny and insecure. Some people make assumptions that if you're criticizing their favorite activities or tastes, you're actually attacking them personally. Or are making said criticism with the sole intention of starting arguments. Either way completely untrue. People need to learn to deal with constructive criticism like mature adults, especially when said criticism isn't directed towards them or even trying to irritate anyone. It's not even an attack on WDW, it's a complaint directed specifically towards the individuals who are running the parks and are responsible for keeping them in shape as well fresh and interesting. They're the core of the problem (and they're not doing their job properly).

It's not antagonistic criticism like "nah nah your precious WDW sucks and so do you for enjoying it". That would tick me off as well because I myself love WDW (still probably my favorite place on earth) and actually do know people in real life who have blatantly ridiculed me for being a Disney fan. That doesn't generally happen here anyways. The criticism here comes from people who adore the place and want what's best for the park and its paying customers. I don't think it's fair to tell people to stop posting criticism about Disney because some people are too insecure to take it. And yes, it does come across as whining.

I'll reiterate. If your trip is somehow ruined by people on an internet forum who post legit complaints about maintenance or whatnot, AND you feel compelled to stifle or attack these people for posting said info, you won't find any sympathy from me. I find that a sign of immaturity and insecurity. Complaints exist, and the majority tend to be completely fair and with a good intention behind them. They aren't harming ANYONE here and it's kind of ridiculous to so blindly defend corporate figures that don't want anything more than a paycheck. Might sound harsh but this forum is better off with constructive criticism, it's worse when people express insecurities (or in worst cases, personal attacks) by telling people to stifle good criticism of how WDW and Disney itself is run.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Because the JC dock was replaced since it was actually physically falling apart and was beyond life expired?
Because PotC STILL has serious audio issues?
Because Splash Mountain has more problems than I have time to list?
Because the recent BTM refurb now has less show effects than ever?
Becasue the Space Mountain refurb was destroyed by management and the attraction is getting worse?
Because the Peoplemover has minimal maintainence?
Because the CoP still thinks it is 1994?
Because Spectromagic is coming back with no enhancements?
Because Wishes had to cut pyro or cut show?
Because CADCT is using floats that are over a decade old? 25 years old for the finale float?
Because Spaceship Earth wasn't finished?
Because over half of Innoventions is empty?
Because Energy is outdated and beginnig to crumble SQ wise?
Because Wonders is relegated from an $80million guest pavilion to a corporate exhibition space?
Because Imagination is a cheap, sad shadow of its former self?
Because one of The Lands 3 attractions is stuck in 1995 and they are happy with it?
Because Seas with Nemo was produced on a shoestring budget and has lost the plot literally?
Because ROE has no plans to be upgraded after 13 years?
Because having a packed, noisy half park originally designed for fine dining and culture is a zoo of drunks each night at the moment?
Because Maelstrom needs updating?
Becuase The Spirit of Norway needs updating so they just leave the exit doors open and have guests trying to watch be disturbed? Or close the show and attempt to up park capacity when it can't cope?
Because Impressions de France needs only a quarter of its scenes reshot but they won't pay for it?
Because DHS has an identity crisis?
Because the DHS tour has hardly anything to actually show anymore?
Because DHS has umpteen empty spaces?
Because Fantasmic! Orlando is a joke compared to its refurb-laden original cousin?
Because DHS still has the worst possible place for a store blocking the view and theme of one of WDIs crowning achievements?
Because they've given up on fixing TOTs audio issues?
Because the parade in DHS is a joke compared to its namesake and managements answer to it being too short and boring was to slow its speed down to last longer?
Because DAK has an expansion crisis? Again?
Because Everest is a coaster in a building. All ride show is now missing.
Because Dinosaur has more effects broken than working?
Because DTD and PI are still up in the air, years after the proposed super plan was scrapped?

Just a few recent observations.

WDW1974

No swinging. Just stating ... but thanks for the opinion.

Because I love the place and have since 1974. Why do you go to WDW?

Why would I take offense? If I can educate or entertain then I have accomplished something.

WDW1974

Because the JC dock was replaced since it was actually physically falling apart and was beyond life expired?
Becasue the Space Mountain refurb was destroyed by management and the attraction is getting worse?
Because CADCT is using floats that are over a decade old? 25 years old for the finale float?
Because Wonders is relegated from an $80million guest pavilion to a corporate exhibition space?
Because one of The Lands 3 attractions is stuck in 1995 and they are happy with it?
Because Seas with Nemo was produced on a shoestring budget and has lost the plot literally?
Because having a packed, noisy half park originally designed for fine dining and culture is a zoo of drunks each night at the moment?
Becuase The Spirit of Norway needs updating so they just leave the exit doors open and have guests trying to watch be disturbed? Or close the show and attempt to up park capacity when it can't cope?
Because Impressions de France needs only a quarter of its scenes reshot but they won't pay for it?
Because Fantasmic! Orlando is a joke compared to its refurb-laden original cousin?
Because DHS still has the worst possible place for a store blocking the view and theme of one of WDIs crowning achievements?
Because the parade in DHS is a joke compared to its namesake and managements answer to it being too short and boring was to slow its speed down to last longer?
Because DTD and PI are still up in the air, years after the proposed super plan was scrapped?

Oh Martin, you are just a big, giant WDW hater ...

But I do love how a simple (and very small) list of WDW issues literally dead-ended the thread. I wonder if anyone will come back ...

Britt

Holy YIKES!!!!

HTF

This could only come from a true fan, no sarcasm. I applaud your frustration as your one of many who are near a breaking point.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Seperately, WDW cannot just keep expanding indefinitely. None of the other parks can either

if they maintained what they had, refreshed attractions, and created additional entertainment value... then I'd say your point has merit. But the problem isn't purely 'they need to expand' - but simply the idea of treading water and reduction in show. We don't need a 5th gate, but it sure would be nice to have attractions at least operate like they were intended to.. and would it kill someone to create a new parade?

aw14

Just going to throw my 2 cents in here on this. Bear in mind I do not visit as much as some, so my frame of reference is not as strong as many, but I do not seem to understand the anger and venom that gets spewed. If people are that unhappy than why go? Maybe that is too simplistic of a question, but I honestly am perplexed.

On the other side, I am hopeful that a company with the long record of success that Disney has, is aware of the problems in their parks/resorts, and has a priority list of what will get done and when. If they dont, then they should. I am going to assume (dangerous I know) that they are fully aware and are addressing those problems which will bring about the greatest revenue from their patrons. If the Maelstrom is a bit dated, that might not top the list of priorities as opposed to a particular series of deluxe resorts. It is truly a dollar and cents issue.

Now personally, I dont mind if certain things seem a bit worn....it is to be expected. I am hopeful that since I will be visiting in both December and again in March that there might be slight improvements. If not, it will not prohibit me from visiting again.

Rant over :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
People need to learn to deal with constructive criticism like mature adults, especially when said criticism isn't directed towards them or even trying to irritate anyone. It's not even an attack on WDW, it's a complaint directed specifically towards the individuals who are running the parks and are responsible for keeping them in shape as well fresh and interesting. They're the core of the problem (and they're not doing their job properly).

Very eloquently stated. After going to DL and WDW for almost 4 decades I've seen way too many ups and downs. I attribute most of WDW current declining issues on 2 specific detours:

#1:Disney knowing they "had" the FL guest like me on the hook, I will love and continue going no matter how long Disney ignores the state of the parks. Disney just pushed this philosophy too long and now the Disney laundry list is too long to address major issues in a timely fashion all the while they are being slapped upside the head daily with guests doing day trips to Harryland.

FLE is a great start and while it will be a magical it doesn't carry enough weight for most guests to turn a blind eye to the neglect in the balance of the parks. Worldwide Disney took the last 15+ years to focus on other resorts all the while neglecting their crown jewel, WDW and it has to be an unspoken embarrassment for Disney and they continue to attempt to blur the discontent with ill thought out concepts like Avatar and the Wharf.

#2:The DVC invasion. Disney has dumped countless dollars into DVCs over the last 15 years. Disney can always find dollars for these expansions where they can't seem to find dollars to avoid neglect or maintain pavilions without sponsors. Smart on their part since they have owners committed to dollars for a good chunk of their adult lives and guests paying to maintain Disney's initial investment. So the WDWs main focus has not been the park it has been DVCs.

I find it irritating to be called whining or negative etc. because I am intelligent enough to notice what has happened to the quality of WDW over the last 15 years. It doesn't make for a discussion for the rebuttal to be an insult. Insults don't carry any weight and actually demonstrate the lack of defense for counter position.

disneyflush

Just going to throw my 2 cents in here on this. Bear in mind I do not visit as much as some, so my frame of reference is not as strong as many, but I do not seem to understand the anger and venom that gets spewed. If people are that unhappy than why go? Maybe that is too simplistic of a question, but I honestly am perplexed.

I love the house I grew up but my family moved out a long time ago. It still holds a lot of great memories for me. I drive by it sometimes to look at the trees in the front yard that I climbed and the window to my 1st bedroom. I try to remember those great times of my youth by visiting it occasionally. The current owners have kind of let it fall into disrepair and it makes me sad and little angry that they don't appreciate it the way I do. Their disrepect of something that was and should be a great place really ticks me off. They own it now so they can do as they choose but I'll always feel like its a little bit mine and write them letters occasionlly to let them know how disappointed I am. I'll still visit the place because regardless of how it looks it will always be my first home and my memories seem more alive when I look at it.

ParentsOf4

On the other side, I am hopeful that a company with the long record of success that Disney has, is aware of the problems in their parks/resorts, and has a priority list of what will get done and when. If they dont, then they should. I am going to assume (dangerous I know) that they are fully aware and are addressing those problems which will bring about the greatest revenue from their patrons. If the Maelstrom is a bit dated, that might not top the list of priorities as opposed to a particular series of deluxe resorts. It is truly a dollar and cents issue.

Now personally, I dont mind if certain things seem a bit worn....it is to be expected. I am hopeful that since I will be visiting in both December and again in March that there might be slight improvements. If not, it will not prohibit me from visiting again.

Rant over :)
I’m going to use a sports analogy that hopefully will explain this better.

In the 1970s through 1990s, WDW was like the 1920s & 1930s Yankees; constantly in the hunt for another World Series title. More recently, WDW has declined (refer to the examples already posted on this thread). For people who have been long-term fans of WDW, these declines are infuriating. However, we don’t stop being fans just because WDW is not as good as it used to be just like sports fans don’t stop being fans just because their team looses. Instead, like sports fans, we get on the phone and call into sports talk radio or, in our case, post on this forum to make our displeasure known.

As I posted earlier, the Parks and Resorts segment has made billions of dollars in Net Income over the last decade and yet TWDC has let WDW fall into a state of disrepair compared to the standards they once consistently maintained throughout the 1970s and 1980s. Frankly, it’s difficult for us fans of WDW, who have been going to WDW for many years and who love it, to listen to the “WDW apologists” who seem to think that offering an inferior product is somehow acceptable.

aw14

I totally get where you folks are coming from. My question is, is it truly in disrepair or do we look at our childhood memories through rose colored glasses?

To use the childhood home analogy from above: the home I grew up in was tiny. I went back roughly 2 years ago for the first time in over a decade. I was stunned. Never realized how small the house and property were, because as a child I honestly thought it was a mansion. Seems to me I had rose colored glasses as a kid.

Not trying to be an apologist in any way for WDW, but I think there are a mix of issues here, and it is not as clear cut as people are making it out.

I know that presently my daughter has a significant set of rose colored glasses :)

ParentsOf4

Didn't we just have like a 40+ page discussion about these things like a month ago? ;)
Yes. And we've also had multiple discussions on the best resort, Disney Dining Plan, favorite attractions, best park, etc. On an open forum such as this, not everyone is around long enough to participate in all the discussions or understands how to use the tools to find similarly themed discussions in the past. It looks like the OP is relatively new. Just like I've answered "What's Port Orleans Riverside like?" (for example) a dozen times, I'm going to chime in when someone posts a thread titled "People Seem Jaded About Disney World in General".:)

imagineer boy

I always enjoy my trips to WDW. It is always money well spent. While I complain a lot about cetain cost-cutting and beglecting of the little things, it would take A LOT more degrading to make me have a miserable experience there.

But the little details believe it or not, are the things that can turn a great Disney trip into an unbelievable experience. And if they neglect these things, then Disney just becomes another themed park rather than a special place worth traveling thousands of miles to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom