People Seem Jaded About Disney World in General

KCheatle

I agree with you. I hear so many complaints on this board and then when I go to WDW I don't have one thing to complain about (with the exception of my personal annoyance with fat people on scooters). I get tired of people constantly complaining on here. If you don't like it, then don't go. People come to these boards because they are Disney fans and hearing all of the complaints is certainly disheartening. I believe in complaining, but only when it's actually going to result in change. We all know the complaints on here result in nothing more than discouragement for others who truly enjoy Disney for all that it is.

Goofyernmost

Some people are more easily pleased, some have greater expectations, some people are willing to accept anything because of brand loyalty. This is the internet even morons are free to express their ill informed opinion.

The hard part is figuring out which ones are the morons! :rolleyes: Would it be anyone that disagrees with ones opinion or is there some deeper method of determination.

ParentsOf4

I agree with you. I hear so many complaints on this board and then when I go to WDW I don't have one thing to complain about (with the exception of my personal annoyance with fat people on scooters). I get tired of people constantly complaining on here. If you don't like it, then don't go. People come to these boards because they are Disney fans and hearing all of the complaints is certainly disheartening. I believe in complaining, but only when it's actually going to result in change. We all know the complaints on here result in nothing more than discouragement for others who truly enjoy Disney for all that it is.
I respectfully submit that a forum such as this is about the free exchange of information and opinions concerning WDW. I truly enjoy reading the many varied thoughts expressed on these forums. If you don't like some of them, the best thing for you might be to simply stop reading them.

KCheatle

I respectfully submit that a forum such as this is about the free exchange of information and opinions concerning WDW. I truly enjoy reading the many varied thoughts expressed on these forums. If you don't like some of them, the best thing for you might be to simply stop reading them.

To be clear, I don't mind disagreements or differing opinions, but I do get annoyed with the same people constantly complaining about how crappy Disney is in a forum clearly intended for people who are Disney fans. I just don't understand why anyone would take the time to become a member of a blog like this if you were not a Disney fanatic? Do they want attention? Do they want to ruffle some feathers? I just don't understand their rationale and that's why it bothers me. I would tell you who they were, but I ignore most of them now so that I don't have to be brought down by their negativity. So, in a sense, I have taken your advice and stopped reading their comments and to all of those who don't want to be disheartened by the constant nay-sayers, I would recommend the same.

ParentsOf4

To be clear, I don't mind disagreements or differing opinions, but I do get annoyed with the same people constantly complaining about how crappy Disney is in a forum clearly intended for people who are Disney fans. I just don't understand why anyone would take the time to become a member of a blog like this if you were not a Disney fanatic? Do they want attention? Do they want to ruffle some feathers? I just don't understand their rationale and that's why it bothers me. I would tell you who they were, but I ignore most of them now so that I don't have to be brought down by their negativity. So, in a sense, I have taken your advice and stopped reading their comments and to all of those who don't want to be disheartened by the constant nay-sayers, I would recommend the same.
Perhaps they simply want to express their opinions of WDW? Whether good or bad, I'd think a WDW forum would be the most appropriate place to do it.

swissamy

Your post made me stop and think about the posts I choose to respond to. Maybe I choose negative topics if I have something I can add but I sure don't want to come across as negative about my one true happy place- it is a wake up call to me to be positive about what I really love ...

KCheatle

Perhaps they simply want to express their opinions of WDW? Whether good or bad, I'd think a WDW forum would be the most appropriate place to do it.

I don't think people should be silenced from their opinions and if you're going to have a Disney opinion I guess this would be the place to have it. My thought, though, is: if your opinion is constantly negative about Disney (and there are those on here who are nothing but negative), then what's your point? Are you trying to bring others down? Are you trying to convince the Disney-lovers that they shouldn't love Disney? Are you trying to be heard by Disney execs that they need to change things? Being a lawyer, I'm trained to not speak unless I have a purpose. I don't just say things to say things (and if I do, trust me, I get "called out" on it - "so...what's your point?" is said a lot in my line of work). So, in that regard, I have the same question for others - what's your point? Why are you saying this? And, I feel that most people - whether they realize it or not - have a purpose for their speech. If you take a step back before you hip "post reply" and realize the intention for your opinion is to dishearten others (i.e., to deflate the balloon of the Disney lover), then I'd prefer you keep your comment to yourself.

luv

You love your kids, but when you see that they are behaving like brats, you work to put an end to that. You love your birthday cake, but when it starts to dry out, you toss it. You love your pool, but you shock it and get the dead bugs out.

Noticing that something is wrong and wanting to take steps to correct it doesn't mean you like something less than other people. To some, it might even indicate that you like it more.
I would have thought expressing disappointment about something would have been best placed on a fan site for the subject............Shirley?
I agree.

And don't call me "Shirley".

KCheatle

Do you have a similar opinion of people who express eternally, some might say even hopelessly, optimistic views?

I guess my response would be: why would I? Their comments are doing nothing to negatively affect anyone. Like I said, if your purpose is to express your opinion or belief so that a discussion can be held on the topic- do it. If your purpose is to bring others down, then why do you feel the need to do that? And, I guess by the looks of it, that's what it sounds like you think needs to happen - what's the point of bringing down the person who rates it an "A+" - Why not let them think it is an A+? What's wrong with that? Their opinion's not hurting anyone. Let them have their happiness. The constant nay-sayers just remind me of the soul-suckers of life that insist that all those who are happy must be brought down because how can anyone else be happy when they are so miserable? Let people be happy. If someone sees the world (pun intended) through rose-colored glasses don't take that away from them. There's enough crap and debbie-downers in this world that if someone finds perfection in WDW, let them have it - don't try to bring them down just because you are. That's my point - if the only purpose of your negative post is to bring people down, then don't post it.

bubbles1812

I am of the opinion that anyone who has joined and especially if they regularly post on this site are Disney fanatics, even if they do make negative comments. Sometimes they may want attention and to ruffle feathers, but that could be said of many people, even those who aren't more towards the negative end. In general I strive to be fair. I'll give Disney credit where credit is due, like the new Mermaid queue...it's beautiful. They did a great job. And I like some of the steps they took to address problems that the ride has, but not all were solved. Same goes with things on a larger scale. If they end up approving Carsland, I'll be ecstatic. But I can still find fault with TDO for leaving DHS and DAK to languish so long. I think you misinterpret a lot of the criticisms of WDW that are made by posters here as people deliberately trying to bring down others. I don't think that is the case for the most part. There is nothing wrong with talking about things that need change. Can we do much? No. But that doesn't mean we should take the attitude of closing our eyes, stuffing our ears, and singing "la la la" and pretend that nothing is wrong, when there are problems. This is a forum for people who love Disney...we all love it...so what's wrong with dialogue about what is wrong and wanting to see it improved?

Goofyernmost

Moron detection isn't that difficult, as this thread proves. :eek:

Want to try being a little more specific? You running for office or what? I guess it is handy if you either want everyone to think that they are morons (except you, of course) or have all of us looking for the moron posts to see if we know what you're talking about. :cool: I'm guessing that the morons wouldn't look because they already believe that there isn't anyway you could be talking about them.

MerlinTheGoat

I guess my response would be: why would I? Their comments are doing nothing to negatively affect anyone. Like I said, if your purpose is to express your opinion or belief so that a discussion can be held on the topic- do it. If your purpose is to bring others down, then why do you feel the need to do that? And, I guess by the looks of it, that's what it sounds like you think needs to happen - what's the point of bringing down the person who rates it an "A+" - Why not let them think it is an A+? What's wrong with that? Their opinion's not hurting anyone. Let them have their happiness. The constant nay-sayers just remind me of the soul-suckers of life that insist that all those who are happy must be brought down because how can anyone else be happy when they are so miserable? Let people be happy. If someone sees the world (pun intended) through rose-colored glasses don't take that away from them. There's enough crap and debbie-downers in this world that if someone finds perfection in WDW, let them have it - don't try to bring them down just because you are. That's my point - if the only purpose of your negative post is to bring people down, then don't post it.
Let me stop you here and inform you that there are a number of members here who are well known for doing nothing but insulting anyone that dares to express any little negative view of the Disney corporation. I could name at least 4 well-known and outspoken people who do this off the top of my head if I wanted to. They are usually modded (or banned) for doing it. And the few personal attacks we've got here are usually started by these same individuals. I can't think of ANYONE here who has expressed dissatisfaction at the way WDW is run that has directed their insults towards other people here. The few personal insults flung at other members on these forums i've found to almost always be started by those who defend the company blindly.

I don't state dissatisfaction to put others here down. I state it because I'm well aware that there was a time when things were run differently. The only people i'm trying to put down in my comments are those who are personally responsible for putting WDW in it's current condition. I don't usually like to speak for other people, but I think I can safely say that those of us who have ever expressed dissatisfaction with Disney or WDW do so because we do love it inside. We simply do so because we want all parts of the company and the parks to be the best they can be. And whether this changes anything or not, this isn't going to cease until the best is given. People are only fairly holding Disney up to the standards that Disney themselves once set.

This next part of my post is NOT directed at you or anyone specific, just a simply bit of advice on how to deal with things here-

If you're someone who feels insulted or angry by people who express any personal dissatisfaction with Disney or WDW, I will honestly say that's pretty ridiculous. I'd venture to call that a sign of serious immaturity and insecurity. You're tethering yourself emotionally to what amounts to a corporation. I think it's really important to come to terms with this. It's also important to remember that people aren't attacking WDW itself, but the select current group of people responsible for controlling how the place is run. And I continually and completely fail to see ANY problem with expressing distaste about that. I can honestly say I love WDW, still do in spite of everything. But I can also honestly say I don't love the people in power who have done everything in their power to snuff out the true magic of the place little by little over the years. And when you get down to it all, I'm dissing those people in power, certainly not WDW itself or people on these forums.

No one is telling anyone not to enjoy themselves. If you're happy, go and have fun with it. If we agree to be mature adults about things and concede that we all have different opinions on the place, then we can all express these opinions without getting into any fights or whatnot. But don't expect other people with differing opinions to shut up just for your own benefit of having a perfect experience. If you try to insult people for expressing their opinions, that puts YOU in the negative light. I'm certainly not leaving, and i'll continue to post about what I have been until things change. But I don't want anyone else to leave or shut up just because they like WDW either.

And i'm at a loss as to how anyone would think think we're not "letting" someone have fun just by posting opinions on how the place is run. Especially with that A-F grading thread for WDW, I'm not seeing any insults or "lol how could you vote so low/high". Very respectful thread throughout. Why would it bother you if someone felt WDW was a C, D, or lower? Especially when they give valid reasons as to why and still admit they love the place. Like Lee said it was a C despite still being his favorite place on earth, i'd pretty much agree with both his score and also being my favorite place on earth.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Let me stop you here and inform you that there are a number of members here who are well known for doing nothing but insulting anyone that dares to express any little negative view of the Disney corporation. I could name at least 4 well-known and outspoken people who do this off the top of my head if I wanted to. They are usually modded (or banned) for doing it. And the few personal attacks we've got here are usually started by these same individuals. I can't think of ANYONE here who has expressed dissatisfaction at the way WDW is run that has directed their insults towardEs other people here. The few personal insults flung at other members on these forums i've found to almost always be started by those who defend the company blindly.

I don't state dissatisfaction to put others here down. I state it because I'm well aware that there was a time when things were run differently. The only people i'm trying to put down in my comments are those who are personally responsible for putting WDW in it's current condition. I don't usually like to speak for other people, but I think I can safely say that those of us who have ever expressed dissatisfaction with Disney or WDW do so because we do love it inside. We simply do so because we want all parts of the company and the parks to be the best they can be. And whether this changes anything or not, this isn't going to cease until the best is given. People are only fairly holding Disney up to the standards that Disney themselves once set.

This next part of my post is NOT directed at you or anyone specific, just a simply bit of advice on how to deal with things here-

If you're someone who feels insulted or angry by people who express any personal dissatisfaction with Disney or WDW, I will honestly say that's pretty ridiculous. I'd venture to call that a sign of serious immaturity and insecurity. You're tethering yourself emotionally to what amounts to a corporation. I think it's really important to come to terms with this. It's also important to remember that people aren't attacking WDW itself, but the select current group of people responsible for controlling how the place is run. And I continually and completely fail to see ANY problem with expressing distaste about that. I can honestly say I love WDW, still do in spite of everything. But I can also honestly say I don't love the people in power who have done everything in their power to snuff out the true magic of the place little by little over the years. And when you get down to it all, I'm dissing those people in power, certainly not WDW itself or people on these forums.

No one is telling anyone not to enjoy themselves. If you're happy, go and have fun with it. If we agree to be mature adults about things and concede that we all have different opinions on the place, then we can all express these opinions without getting into any fights or whatnot. But don't expect other people with differing opinions to shut up just for your own benefit of having a perfect experience. If you try to insult people for expressing their opinions, that puts YOU in the negative light. I'm certainly not leaving, and i'll continue to post about what I have been until things change. But I don't want anyone else to leave or shut up just because they like WDW either.

And i'm at a loss as to how anyone would think think we're not "letting" someone have fun just by posting opinions on how the place is run. Especially with that A-F grading thread for WDW, I'm not seeing any insults or "lol how could you vote so low/high". Very respectful thread throughout. Why would it bother you if someone felt WDW was a C, D, or lower? Especially when they give valid reasons as to why and still admit they love the place (like Lee said it was a C despite still being his favorite place on earth)...
I agree with most of this, but to be fair I have seen personal insults thrown both ways. I agree that the majority do seem to be in the "pixie dust" camp but there are a few very vocal "doom and gloomers" who will rip into anyone who expresses an opinion that opposes them. I think sometimes there is a bit of a condescending nature to some of the "doom and gloom" posts too. I feel like some people believe if you don't find problems and vocalize them you are just a dumb tourist or ignorant.

MerlinTheGoat

I agree with most of this, but to be fair I have seen personal insults thrown both ways. I agree that the majority do seem to be in the "pixie dust" camp but there are a few very vocal "doom and gloomers" who will rip into anyone who expresses an opinion that opposes them. I think sometimes there is a bit of a condescending nature to some of the "doom and gloom" posts too. I feel like some people believe if you don't find problems and vocalize them you are just a dumb tourist or ignorant.
I've seen insults flung from both sides, don't get me wrong. Recently as well. But I find the instigation of said insults (meaning the people who initially started it) usually stems from the people who defend Disney, not the so called doom and gloom crowd. Example being that we'll get to some sort of broken ride element thread like Everest, Splash, etc. Then people start to express irritation at the management in charge. Then someone who defends Disney too much comes up and starts hurling insults and telling them they're evil or whatever for dissing Disney and the people responsible. THEN the back and forth starts, but only after you've got the other end trying desperately to defend the Disney corporation by insulting anyone who doesn't see things through rose colored glasses.

Basically I see no reason to get irritated at people who express dissatisfaction with Disney and WDW. If you can't enjoy the place BECAUSE of people posting on a forum, you're being way too sensitive and insecure about things. For example, I like movies people dislike and dislike movies people like. I don't get bothered about people having a different opinion on the matter, I just enjoy what I like and disregard what I dislike. If someone attacks you for it then yeah that would be ridiculous and their fault. But again that's insecurity for you and I really don't see much if any of that happening here from the doom and gloomers side, at the very least not without being provoked first by another person who instigates something.

For example if you've got a thread involving the current state of Expedition Everest and its broken effects (which we do, and which the admin of this site actually created and stickied in this section btw), I see it as both completely fair as well as the right thing to do to express your dissatisfaction with the situation. It's healthy criticism to complain about legit flaws and isn't hurting anyone here, not matter how big or small the problem is. I don't think it's fair or right however to tell people who do this to "shut up and leave if you're unhappy, everything is fine and you're evil for pointing fingers at the heads of the company". I think it's pretty clear what exactly went wrong in that discussion. And that's generally the extent of the argument, personal insults laced with a complete lack of fairness or facts. There's something very messed up about that mentality. We're not attacking you, Disney, WDW, or whatever. We're pointing fingers at the people who are responsible for these problems. Why anyone as a paying customer would defend said people and their actions is I admit completely beyond me.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I've seen insults flung from both sides, don't get me wrong. Recently as well. But I find the instigation of said insults (meaning the people who initially started it) usually stems from the people who defend Disney, not the so called doom and gloom crowd. Example being that we'll get to some sort of broken ride element thread like Everest, Splash, etc. Then people start to express irritation at the management in charge. Then someone who defends Disney too much comes up and starts hurling insults and telling them they're evil or whatever for dissing Disney and the people responsible. THEN the back and forth starts, but only after you've got the other end trying desperately to defend the Disney corporation by insulting anyone who doesn't see things through rose colored glasses.

Basically I see no reason to get irritated at people who express dissatisfaction with Disney and WDW. If you can't enjoy the place BECAUSE of people posting on a forum, you're being way too sensitive and insecure about things. For example, I like movies people dislike and dislike movies people like. I don't get bothered about people having a different opinion on the matter, I just enjoy what I like and disregard what I dislike. If someone attacks you for it then yeah that would be ridiculous and their fault. But again that's insecurity for you and I really don't see much if any of that happening here from the doom and gloomers side, at the very least not without being provoked first by another person who instigates something.

For example if you've got a thread involving the current state of Expedition Everest and its broken effects (which we do, and which the admin of this site actually created and stickied in this section btw), I see it as both completely fair as well as the right thing to do to express your dissatisfaction with the situation. It's healthy criticism to complain about legit flaws and isn't hurting anyone here, not matter how big or small the problem is. I don't think it's fair or right however to tell people who do this to "shut up and leave if you're unhappy, everything is fine and you're evil for pointing fingers at the heads of the company". I think it's pretty clear what exactly went wrong in that discussion. And that's generally the extent of the argument, personal insults laced with a complete lack of fairness or facts. There's something very messed up about that mentality. We're not attacking you, Disney, WDW, or whatever. We're pointing fingers at the people who are responsible for these problems. Why anyone as a paying customer would defend said people and their actions is I admit completely beyond me.

Fair point. I have been around a few of those battles and I know of some of the people you are talking about. Sometimes I think it's just people who want to argue or cause controversy.

Just like the people who refuse to admit anything is a problem (like the Yeti) there are some people who will always find a negative spin no matter what. Look at some of the new FLE threads with great pictures of everything new. Some people can't just enjoy the updates they have to keep bringing up the same negative points, not an E ticket, not a potter swatter, just a clone of a DCA ride. All of these are valid opinions, but if the point of the thread is for the moderator to give us all a photo update there is no need to post negatives. There are numerous threads on FLE that cover these points. I think that most of us on here are somewhere in the middle, but the 2 extremes end up bringing the conversation down a lot of the time.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Want to try being a little more specific? You running for office or what? I guess it is handy if you either want everyone to think that they are morons (except you, of course) or have all of us looking for the moron posts to see if we know what you're talking about. :cool: I'm guessing that the morons wouldn't look because they already believe that there isn't anyway you could be talking about them.

I could be talking about everyone, including myself. Its a theme park FFS, not a matter of life and death, yet some folk seem desperate to be offended and upset.

Goofyernmost

I could be talking about everyone, including myself. Its a theme park FFS, not a matter of life and death, yet some folk seem desperate to be offended and upset.

OK, but I don't think I would call us morons, just sometimes we become overly excited about things that don't really matter in life. Other times we don't react at all to something that others find disturbing. I believe it's called being human and, let's face it, this stuff is our hobby. Like playing D&D. We feel compelled to defend our choices.:)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
We feel compelled to defend our choices.:)

And thats what happens, round and round the discussion/ argument goes. If Disney had been more proactive in maintaining its parks and creating attractions at a pace and scale as in the past, most of these threads would never originate as we would be too busy talking about that. New toilet seats and wash basins dont get the juices flowing for me.

I dont think its people that are jaded, I think its WDW, if you are a regular visitor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom