People Seem Jaded About Disney World in General

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
No rose colored glasses here. I saw what I saw and frankly the early days weren't all that wonderful. They were nice but todays color schemes along with landscaping and just a generally more enjoyable trip, wonderful is now, not then. I wasn't a kid when I first went, I was 35 years old. Since I didn't know what to expect, I was tuned in to many things. I have even looked at old park pictures and felt. Wow, was it ever dull back then compared to today. No sir, the rose colored glasses that everyone speaks about were only worn back then. They were since then discarded and traded for ones with too much OLD distorted pixie dust on the lenses.

It would appear they're back in style now as well....

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I'm just gonna say here that Net Profit doesn't really mean much. What counts is what is left over after you repay your capital investment. It is amortized over many years, but it doesn't show up as an expense because it is part of capital. If you took cash and paid down your debt you just trade off one asset for another. It doesn't mean you have all that cash in your hand. Interest on the debt incurred is considered an expense, payment on capital isn't.

Your post confuses a couple of accounting and investment concepts. Capital investment, as in, purchases of equipment, buildings and other infrastructure (including attractions, bathrooms, restaurants, etc.) results in the recording of an asset. That asset is depreciated/amortized to expense over its useful life. So that kind of capital investment absolutely affects net income.

There is also a concept of return on capital. That is, people have invested money in Disney, and those people expect a return (indeed, that's why they invested). They expect to get more than just what they invested back. If these people invested in Disney by making a loan, the return is in the form of interest, which shows up as an expense in Disney's income statement. If they invested in Disney by purchasing stock, their return is in the form of dividends and capital appreciation. Those things don't show up in the income statement.

The two concepts do come together, but they aren't the same thing. When Disney makes capital investments, the Company, which owes a fiduciary duty to its stockholders, is implicitly saying that that it believes spending that money on rides and attractions, as opposed to anything else, will generate a larger return (in the form of cash flows/net income) than any other thing it could do with the money, so that it can provide a larger return on capital to its investors in the form of higher dividends or increased stock price.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
You are correct. I kind of got off on a different track there. I'll blame it on old age. :) How do you define Net Income as opposed to Net Profit though. There is a difference in my mind. Net Income has no guarantee of Net Profit. If you are using the two interchangeably then I will give to that. However, if net income is 1 billion and net expenses are 2 billion it doesn't reflect the health of a company.

I will end my part of this particular discussion because I am not an accountant and did everything I could throughout my life to not be one. Noble field, just not of interest to me. My understanding of its workings are sketchy at best.

Net income is defined as revenue and other income minus all expenses. I believe you are using the term "net income" the way an accountant would use the term "net revenue".

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Because the JC dock was replaced since it was actually physically falling apart and was beyond life expired?
Because PotC STILL has serious audio issues?
Because Splash Mountain has more problems than I have time to list?
Because the recent BTM refurb now has less show effects than ever?
Becasue the Space Mountain refurb was destroyed by management and the attraction is getting worse?
Because the Peoplemover has minimal maintainence?
Because the CoP still thinks it is 1994?
Because Spectromagic is coming back with no enhancements?
Because Wishes had to cut pyro or cut show?
Because CADCT is using floats that are over a decade old? 25 years old for the finale float?
Because Spaceship Earth wasn't finished?
Because over half of Innoventions is empty?
Because Energy is outdated and beginnig to crumble SQ wise?
Because Wonders is relegated from an $80million guest pavilion to a corporate exhibition space?
Because Imagination is a cheap, sad shadow of its former self?
Because one of The Lands 3 attractions is stuck in 1995 and they are happy with it?
Because Seas with Nemo was produced on a shoestring budget and has lost the plot literally?
Because ROE has no plans to be upgraded after 13 years?
Because having a packed, noisy half park originally designed for fine dining and culture is a zoo of drunks each night at the moment?
Because Maelstrom needs updating?
Becuase The Spirit of Norway needs updating so they just leave the exit doors open and have guests trying to watch be disturbed? Or close the show and attempt to up park capacity when it can't cope?
Because Impressions de France needs only a quarter of its scenes reshot but they won't pay for it?
Because DHS has an identity crisis?
Because the DHS tour has hardly anything to actually show anymore?
Because DHS has umpteen empty spaces?
Because Fantasmic! Orlando is a joke compared to its refurb-laden original cousin?
Because DHS still has the worst possible place for a store blocking the view and theme of one of WDIs crowning achievements?
Because they've given up on fixing TOTs audio issues?
Because the parade in DHS is a joke compared to its namesake and managements answer to it being too short and boring was to slow its speed down to last longer?
Because DAK has an expansion crisis? Again?
Because Everest is a coaster in a building. All ride show is now missing.
Because Dinosaur has more effects broken than working?
Because DTD and PI are still up in the air, years after the proposed super plan was scrapped?

Just a few recent observations.

What is crazy about everything mentioned here is that ALL of these issues they have would FILL up a normal theme park. Like Kennywood here in Pittsburgh. All of Disney Worlds issues would be too much to fit inside of Kennywood, yet Disney World STILL offers an amazing...AMAZING experience. I am not sitting here saying everything is dandy. I am also not saying everything sucks. But even with that LONG laundry list above it is still pretty spectacular. Even some of the rides you mention are broken, need updates or needs whatever those rides and or attractions are STILL pretty impressive. That does not mean they don't need some love and a lot of fixing...it's just baffling to me that I can go to Disney and point out numerous things that are wrong, broken, dated, dirty or whatever...and still have such a kick a$$ time.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
What is crazy about everything mentioned here is that ALL of these issues they have would FILL up a normal theme park. Like Kennywood here in Pittsburgh. All of Disney Worlds issues would be too much to fit inside of Kennywood, yet Disney World STILL offers an amazing...AMAZING experience. I am not sitting here saying everything is dandy. I am also not saying everything sucks. But even with that LONG laundry list above it is still pretty spectacular. Even some of the rides you mention are broken, need updates or needs whatever those rides and or attractions are STILL pretty impressive. That does not mean they don't need some love and a lot of fixing...it's just baffling to me that I can go to Disney and point out numerous things that are wrong, broken, dated, dirty or whatever...and still have such a kick a$$ time.

Comparing Apples to Elephants. Kennywood has an annual pass rate between $79-$85 annually, Senior AP $50

It would be like me trying to compare the totally and newly revamped Santa's Village in Illinois to what hasn't been repaired in all of WDW.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Comparing Apples to Elephants. Kennywood has an annual pass rate between $79-$85 annually, Senior AP $50

It would be like me trying to compare the totally and newly revamped Santa's Village in Illinois to what hasn't been repaired in all of WDW.
I think his/her point was that there is enough broken at WDW to fill a whole amusement park the size of Kennywood not comparing Kennywood to WDW.

Jimmy Thick

People posting here can be jaded. People posting here can be doom and gloomers. People posting here can be pixie dust snorters.

But here is a dose of reality.

The emo angst is only on these boards, if you go to the parks you NEVER see people complaining about declining by degrees or any of that other nonsense. The people who who are jaded are a very, very small minority, so much so if they all took their ball and went to another park instead, which they should, Disney would not miss those dollars at all.

Don't let a few bad apples spoil a fantastic vacation.

Jimmy Thick- A Osmonds reference?

ParentsOf4

The emo angst is only on these boards, if you go to the parks you NEVER see people complaining about declining by degrees or any of that other nonsense. The people who who are jaded are a very, very small minority, so much so if they all took their ball and went to another park instead, which they should, Disney would not miss those dollars at all.
Yes but I see these people complaining all the time. The lines are too long, the food costs too much, the CMs are mean, WDW is exhausting, etc. The list goes on-and-on. At least the people on these boards, including those of us who would prefer to think of ourselves as doom-and-gloomers rather than pixie dust sniffers, actually enjoy ourselves at the parks, just as much as the pixie dust sniffers. The difference is we return from our trips and let everyone know what's happening (all too often for the worse) at WDW.

It seems to me the people who don't enjoy WDW as much are neither doom-and-gloomers nor pixie dust sniffers. They get fed up with it once and simply don't bother to return until it's been long enough for them to forget what a miserable time they had the last time. They don't bother to post here because, to them, WDW was a big waste of time and money. Why expend more effort to post about it?

I've discussed WDW with too many people who have been there once.
- "Did you have a great time?"
- "Yes."
- "So you are planning on going back?"
- "No."
- "Why not?"
- "Too expensive, long lines, have other places we'd rather visit, etc., etc., etc."

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes

"Goof Goof" nailed it. I was just stating how many things are wrong that it could fill a normal sized park.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Yup. I just renewed my Six Flags 2013 season pass for $49.99.

At WDW, that get me any one of the following:
- 1/2 day at a theme park, if only WDW would sell half-day tickets
- 1 TS meal for 2, if I don't purchase any beverages
- Less than 1 day of the Disney Dining Plan
- Almost one full day at a water park
- 1/2 night's sleep at one of the "Value" Resorts

I'm not saying the WDW stinks; all I'm suggesting is to compare apples-to-apples.

Again I am not comparing. I'm just saying that there is a whole "normal" sized theme park of "problems" at Disney World and that you can still go and none of that stuff ruin your trip.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Yup. I just renewed my Six Flags 2013 season pass for $49.99.

At WDW, that get me any one of the following:
- 1/2 day at a theme park, if only WDW would sell half-day tickets
- 1 TS meal for 2, if I don't purchase any beverages
- Less than 1 day of the Disney Dining Plan
- Almost one full day at a water park
- 1/2 night's sleep at one of the "Value" Resorts

I'm not saying the WDW stinks; all I'm suggesting is to compare apples-to-apples.

I agree. It is just difficult to compare an amusement park in anyway to a theme park and use that analogy to grant forgiveness for the rides that don't work correctly because they would only fill any given amusement park.
How do you look at broken EE attraction to the bumper car attraction.

If we are going to compare it should at least be in the same realm. Or compare Test Tracks history of operation to Abu Dhabi's Fiorano GT Challenge reliability.

Goofyernmost

I think one has to remember that all of Orlando is a preparation for WDW. The airport alone simply reeks of Disneyworld. There is an excitement buildup from the moment one gets off the plane. Anaheim doesn't offer that at all. And in spite of it's history it seems more like a local amusement park then the "world of it's own" feeling you get at WDW. Walt was right about that!

Don't get me wrong, I liked Disneyland. Grew up watching the opening and the Mouseketeers running around it. But after having spent the majority of my visits on the East Coast, the only thing about it that made DL feel different at all was the mental connection of walking on the same spots that Walt did. Of course, Walt walked the area that WDW sits as well, just not after it was built.

ParentsOf4

I think one has to remember that all of Orlando is a preparation for WDW. The airport alone simply reeks of Disneyworld. There is an excitement buildup from the moment one gets off the plane. Anaheim doesn't offer that at all. And in spite of it's history it seems more like a local amusement park then the "world of it's own" feeling you get at WDW. Walt was right about that!

Don't get me wrong, I liked Disneyland. Grew up watching the opening and the Mouseketeers running around it. But after having spent the majority of my visits on the East Coast, the only thing about it that made DL feel different at all was the mental connection of walking on the same spots that Walt did. Of course, Walt walked the area that WDW sits as well, just not after it was built.
Wow, I had never thought about it that way before but I think you're right. DL itself is wonderful but the entire build-up outside of the park feels like any amusement park, nothing special. When I walk into DL I feel like I'm at the best amusement park in the world. When I arrive at WDW I feel like I'm at this enormous vacation destination, more like visiting an exotic tropical island than visiting an amusement park.

DL is a place, WDW is a destination.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom