My first ever quilt & it had to be Disney-fied!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Okay, well, it's sorta my first quilt. I made a simple baby quilt years ago but I didn't piece it so I don't think it counts.

This is my first real quilt. It's a rag quilt that measures 60" x 70". It's not quite as big as a full size. I wasn't going for a bed measurement. I wanted something for me to have to curl up with when I'm watching tv or have in the car on road trips. I've collected Disney fabrics for years without having much of a purpose for the stuff. I sew when the mood strikes and when there's something I want to make. I wanted a quilt which was a good enough reason to break out the bins and dig in.

If I had to guess-timate how much $$ I have in this quilt for the fabric I'd say $175 or so. It's constructed of 4 layers of fabric w/no batting. The top & back layers are standard cottons while the 2 middle layers are both cotton flannel. The quilt isn't bulky but has a good, heavy weight to it. Total time from the very beginning (fabric prep & cut) to the very end (ragging the finished piece) was probably 50+ hours. It felt like an eternity. And I broke 3 needles on my machine during assembly. ((Grrrr!!!))

Sorry for the crumby pics. Chandler wanted to be playing Modern Warfare, not outside taking quilt pics for Mom so he literally took these in 2 minute's time.

The front:

MyQuilt.jpg

As random as the pattern layout appears, I assure you it is not. I spent a few hours on the floor carefully placing each piece where I wanted it so I didn't get anything repetitive and no identical squares touching. When every square was in place I snapped some pictures then carefully picked up the squares one by one so they stayed in order.

Do you think you see a little "hidden" Mickey going on??? Yep! Every square was quilted with a Mickey icon vs. the usual "X" you see most commonly done on rag quilts. Here's a detail pic:

QuiltDetail.jpg

The quilt back couldn't out-bold the front. I didn't want that. I wanted the back to be as fun as the front but still look like it's the back. I went bare bones on the colors but kept it fun with the prints. And, of course, it has to be a Disney look. The front was an intentional random pattern while the back was purely unintentional. I did not do a layout of these squares for pattern placement. Saving a little surprise for the end was fun. I had no clue how it would look. When I finished the assembly and turned it over I was over-the-moon excited! Here's the back:

QuiltBack.jpg

My very own awesome Disney quilt! I'm so proud of it. This is probably one of the most awesome sewing projects I've ever done!

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Thanks for taking a peek!

:wave:

ErickainPA

you did a fantastic job on that quilt, way to go. I am impressed with those that can quilt, the work looks so professional from those pics. :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

NewfieFan

I bow to your awesomeness!!! That is freakin' amazing sweet!

You have every right to be proud... it's a work of art!

Well, if you ever want to put in 50+ hours again and sell one... you have your first buyer!

Now cuddle up and enjoy it...

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
you did a fantastic job on that quilt, way to go. I am impressed with those that can quilt, the work looks so professional from those pics. :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Thank you! Rag quilts are super-easy to make. They're quit primitive in design which lends a bit of forgiveness in the details. I'm never satisfied with my finishing work so I felt this was the safest way to go. I wish my Mickey icons had been a tad better. Sometimes I'd turn the fabric too fast and it'd mess up the curves a little. The one thing I did intentionally that really paid off was carefully matching up the seams when sewing the rows together. I knew the eye would be drawn to the back and wanted all my corners to line up nicely. Major score! It worked!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I bow to your awesomeness!!! That is freakin' amazing sweet!

You have every right to be proud... it's a work of art!

Well, if you ever want to put in 50+ hours again and sell one... you have your first buyer!

Now cuddle up and enjoy it...

Awwww...you're too sweet to me! I'll be honest, there's a handful of people I've been most excited about showing my quilt to: my MiL (who is a master seamstress), my mom (of course), and 3 of my friends: Jen (fellow doll-collector who has a bunch of custom-made rag quilts), Christie (another doll-collector who makes artist bears), and YOU (because I knew you'd totally dig the Disney theme & color). So thank you thank you thank you for liking my quilt! LOL!

Tracey suggested I sew quilts to sell since I can't leave the house to work for another several years. The problem for me is making it worthwhile. If I charged $500 for this quilt (which I think is crazy...I'd never pay that), subtracted the $175 I have in fabric that only leaves $325. At 50 hours that only pays $6.50/hour. :lookaroun That doesn't include miscellaneous costs such as thread (I polished off 3 spools I had in my thread boxes), broken needles on the machine, destroyed pins that get all bent up, a new blade for my rotary cutter (it needs one now), sharpening for my sheers, etc.

However, if someone with more $$ than sense were to throw a sick dollar figure at me I'd do another one. :lol:

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
LOVE THIS! I want it for my bed =)
Too bad I don't have "more money than sense".

Tear.

Well, this is your lucky day! I also accept winning lottery tickets and those only cost $1! LOL!

Thanks for the sweet compliment! I'll be honest, I've actually thought of maybe digging out more of the fabrics I used and extending the size to fit my bed. Problem is I'd have to practically double the thing to make it a king size. :eek:

Disneybird

That's beautiful. And I love the hidden Mickeys.

I'm sitting here thinking of the Disney fabric I have in a closet :lookaroun. All I need is one more project to not complete. :lol:

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
That's beautiful. And I love the hidden Mickeys.

I'm sitting here thinking of the Disney fabric I have in a closet :lookaroun. All I need is one more project to not complete. :lol:

Tell me about it! Is this not the plague for the people with creative/overactive brains???? I'd say at least half or more of the projects I start I never finish. I have a gorgeous dress that I cut from a killer 70's vintage Gunne Sax pattern with some beautiful fabrics that I paid a small fortune for that I have yet to sew the first stitch on. And my mother-in-law even volunteered her services to do the zipper for me (since zippers are my sewing nemesis! LOL! Then there's all the vintage hankies I bought to make little bitty dolly dresses from. And I have to get the hair bows and shoes ready to complete Ellie Boo's new swimsuit ensemble. Confession: I started cutting the fabric for this quilt in early June. I didn't start assembly until early August. I hit a major road-block, got mad, threw it in a bag, and shoved it back in my closet. Two weeks ago a friend got me fired up to start a whoooole new endeavor but I'm sick to death of not finishing stuff. This quilt has always been my heart's desire. I dreamed about it for so long. I made a deal with myself to not start anything else until this one was done. Sooooo, I hauled the quilt back out, consulted with my mother-in-law, rolled up my sleeves, and charged back into it. And here I am. The best part is the triumph over the roadblocks. The quilt is the trophy. :D

Wow!! Great job, I love it!!! :sohappy:

Thank you so so much!

Oh my gosh that is awesome!!! I love the colors!! I love the design!! I want one!!!! Great job!!:sohappy:

My bear-making friend, Christie, described my quilt as "fun". She said it made you feel happy to look at it. And it does! The colors with the style and the whimsy in the theming...that's the perfect description. It makes me feel happy! I wish I could crank these babies out in less than 10 hours. I'd make them for everyone! Why can't Disney put out quality stuff like this? The duvets on their website have all been the same style with the same color schemes for years. That's why I had to make my own. :D

You did a really awesome job!:sohappy:

Awwww....Thank you! I appreciate that so much. I know it may seem silly to pour over every little compliment. When you work on something like this for so long it truly means something when someone even makes a comment as simple as, "Cute quilt". :D

cdunbar

Awwww....Thank you! I appreciate that so much. I know it may seem silly to pour over every little compliment. When you work on something like this for so long it truly means something when someone even makes a comment as simple as, "Cute quilt". :D
But of course! I'm totally jealous! My grandmother could do stuff like that but I never had any interest in that kind of stuff before she died but now I do and I regret not learning. So like I said I'm jealous that you can do stuff like that!:)

HollyBelle

I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your quilt, Kelly!!! My mom is a quilter... a very good one. In fact, I'm sitting here covered up in one of her quilts right now. She does them entirely by hand and even though people are always telling her they'd pay her for one, she knows they'd never be willing to pay enough to make it worth her while. That's one of the reasons why I see quilt-making entirely as an act of love. There's no other way to describe it.

I was cracking up as you described how you laid out all the pieces to make it random (yet not random). That is totally something I would do! :lol: I totally want to learn how to make them myself, but I can't keep up with my current projects. I'm so far behind with my scrapbooking, and heck, I'm even having trouble getting my trip reports written any more!! I guess I need to take less trips. :eek:

I think you'll be really happy that you decided to keep it as a blanket to snuggle up in, instead of making it for your bed. Again, congratulations... it's absolutely beautiful!

mouselvrmom

OMG, Sweetpee!!!!! That is totally the cutest thing I've ever seen!!!!!

I so love it and really want one! Too bad I completely don't know how to sew! Although, I now am considering taking it up... :lookaroun:lol:

I so wish I had more money than sense so that I could throw a sick dollar amount at you, because it totally rocks! I adore the hidden mickeys stitched into each square! So adorable! Congrats!!! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Thumbelina

OMG! your quilt is awesome! I cant believe that is ur first one. I have been gettin in to disney quilts a lot lately and I am thinking about making one for myself. I have a few questions for you, if you dont mind.

Where did you get your disney fabic?
How did you do the hidden mickeys? Those are awesome!
Also If you have any tips for me, i would appreciate them.

Thanks so much. I hope if you make anything more, you share with us, I really would love to see more from you =)

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your quilt, Kelly!!! My mom is a quilter... a very good one. In fact, I'm sitting here covered up in one of her quilts right now. She does them entirely by hand and even though people are always telling her they'd pay her for one, she knows they'd never be willing to pay enough to make it worth her while. That's one of the reasons why I see quilt-making entirely as an act of love. There's no other way to describe it.

I was cracking up as you described how you laid out all the pieces to make it random (yet not random). That is totally something I would do! I totally want to learn how to make them myself, but I can't keep up with my current projects. I'm so far behind with my scrapbooking, and heck, I'm even having trouble getting my trip reports written any more!! I guess I need to take less trips.

I think you'll be really happy that you decided to keep it as a blanket to snuggle up in, instead of making it for your bed. Again, congratulations... it's absolutely beautiful!

Thanks, Holly. If your mom is a hand-quilter I'm quite sure my little raggy thing doesn't hold a candle to her work. I wish I had that kind of patience. It seems this quilt was just about my limit. I need more frequent gratification. LOL!

I agree with your mom, for me quilts are a labor of love. I have to really love the quilt or have a really strong sentiment to drive me through. I really, really, really want to make one for each of my boys' beds. The only thing that holds me back on those is the primary fabric. I've found what I want for each. Unfortunately, they're Disney prints that are only distributed in the Japanese market. I can't quite bring myself to pay $25/yard x 6-8 yards + international shipping. :eek:

Laying out the squares to force a random look....I know! When I was doing it I kept envisioning my mom who's like major, major OCD about a lot of stuff. She'll even tell you she's "CDO" because the letters need to be in order! LOL! She a crazy list person. She has to be super-organized all the time so she makes lists for everything. When I was on my floor laying out those squares I kept thinking to myself, "Oh God! I really am becoming my mother!" Not that it's such a horrible thing. I had a lot of giggly moments that day. The worst part was standing on top of a chair to snap a picture so I'd know I had the layout correct as I was sewing. I thought about making a coded list from the picture listing the order of the squares by row but then I thought that'd be a bit too far into Mom's realm so I opted to skip it. LOL! I'll have to tell her all about it when I see her next and show her the quilt. Should be later this month. She'll think it's hysterical!

Thanks for the kind words about my quilt. It's soooooo me in every way. LOL! I'm so glad I made it and kept it. Most of what I make I have always given away. It's fun to do something specifically for ME for a change.

I think you need to make one for Gabby & Jerome!!!!!

I've been thinking that for a while but wouldn't know where to begin as far as characters, fabrics, motifs, etc. Do they have favorite colors or characters that they are most like that you can think of? I can't think of a better way to send my hugs to my sweetest little cousins than to have a quilt made by me to wrap around them. ((I do have a load of Finding Nemo fabrics already cut into squares. Lots of vibrant blues. Somehow I don't see your 2 kiddos being Nemo-ish, tho. LOL!))

Oh! The raggies are pretty lint-y. That's not going to be a big problem for their breathing, huh? Wanna be sure. I'd :cry: if I made them sick.

OMG, Sweetpee!!!!! That is totally the cutest thing I've ever seen!!!!!

I so love it and really want one! Too bad I completely don't know how to sew! Although, I now am considering taking it up...

I so wish I had more money than sense so that I could throw a sick dollar amount at you, because it totally rocks! I adore the hidden mickeys stitched into each square! So adorable! Congrats!!!

Thanks! The quilt is the reason why I'm so miserably behind on your trip report. I was doing okay keeping up even with doing all the school stuff with the boys but then pile on all the sewing and the computer totally took the back seat. Lots more sewing coming up...and the floors around here are almost frightening. I'll have to stop everything soon and just do some good ol' scrubbin' around here. I'd rather catch up on trip reports, tho. :D

Sewing is sooooo not hard. I swear! It's like anything else in life, you don't start out an expert. But it's not hard. Rag quilts are a great start into sewing, too, because of their simple as pie design. If you're ever really curious I can send you a link to a great website that walks you thru them. The best thing about these quilts is even if you're work is kinda rough still, it's okay! You'll never know it by looking at the quilt!

I wish I had the time & money to make quilts for all my friends and family. I really, really do. To me, there's no better way to send a hug to someone than to have them wrap a quilt I made around them. :D

Thanks again for the sweet words about my quilt. I can't get the hang of Photoshop as easy as a lot of folks, don't take very good pictures, but I *can* sew. I guess instead of wishing I could do stuff I can't I should enjoy the stuff I do know how to do more often. Silly me, huh? :hammer:

OMG! your quilt is awesome! I cant believe that is ur first one. I have been gettin in to disney quilts a lot lately and I am thinking about making one for myself. I have a few questions for you, if you dont mind.

Where did you get your disney fabic?
How did you do the hidden mickeys? Those are awesome!
Also If you have any tips for me, i would appreciate them.

Thanks so much. I hope if you make anything more, you share with us, I really would love to see more from you =)

Yep! First quilt! Believe me, I shocked the socks off myself with it, too. LOL! I just kept thinking about the stuff my mother-in-law taught me about patience: when you feel you lack it most, it's time to put the sewing down & walk away for a bit.....and take the time to visualize how every detail will affect the next step and the next step all the way through to the end. Visualizing the way things will or won't work really helps!

As for your questions:

The Disney fabrics came from eBay and Etsy. Every day, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day, I will go to those websites and run quick searches for fabrics. I also don't limit myself to just plain fabric. I also search for duvets and sheets. Clothing, bedding, etc. can all be great sources for fabric and are often cheaper than buying sewing fabric. The pink stripe and pink swirly Mickeys on the back of my quilt were cut from a deconstructed used duvet & matching bedskirt that I got off eBay for like $20 or so. Love those fabrics! I've been collecting Disney fabrics for about 3 years or so. I have quite a little stash going on. LOL!

The Mickeys. Heeheehee! How much do you know about the construction of rag quilts? Basically, the squares are assembled into individual sandwiches (top, middle, and back layers) before you stitch them together into rows, then the rows together to make the quilt. When doing the square sandwiches usually you would either stitch over them in a big "X" from corner to corner or do a tie in the middle or something just to hold everything together. Instead of doing the "X" or a tie, I used a Mickey quilter's template (purchased from eBay for like $4) to trace the icon onto the center of each square then slowly stitched over it on my sewing machine. I traced with a water soluble marker so it'd wash out later when I had to do the washing for the rags to fray. Doing the Mickey on each square was pretty time consuming but it was a fabulous touch I felt was worth the extra effort. In hind-sight, I didn't need the quilter's template to do the Mickey icon at all. You could use any simple shape with a simple outline (like a heart or a big block letter or something...I could've printed an icon off my computer easily), trace it onto a solid piece of stencil plastic, cut it out with an exact-o knife, and bam! You got your template to trace!

Tips. Ugh. I don't consider myself all that good at sewing in general. I think because I compare my work to my mother-in-law's or my sister-in-law's and these ladies have some mind-blowing talent & skill. My mother-in-law has custom designed and made wedding gowns for several of the girls in the family. I even got to help with the beading/crystals which was a maaaaajor honor. I've learned so much from both of them. The one thing they have that I totally lack is patience. Patience is key. Do NOT get in a hurry. If you start to feel hurried or urgent while sewing you really should stop or you'll end up having to take stuff back apart and redo it which always completely infuriates me because it's so avoidable. Just like in construction, measure twice (or 3 or 4 times!) and cut or sew once. Take your time in every step of every project you do. Pin things. Turn them over, around, piece things together with pins and visualize how things are interacting. This helps you to see where your work is going and sometimes where you need to make changes so that the piece finishes best. There's still a lot I can't do. Like zippers. :mad: Zippers are my nemesis. I always avoid them like the plague. ((Funny story! When Brian was a baby I made him a monkey costume for his first Halloween. It was adorable and I was so proud of my work....until I put it on him. I sewed the stupid zipper in backwards so the zipper-pull was on the inside vs. the outside. I cried and cried even tho Tracey showed me it still zipped up just fine and looked adorable. Funny to think back on that stuff 12 years later.... :lol:))

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me here. I'll send you my email address and/or phone number if you need me. I also have a killer link to some great instructions on rag quilts that I used to work out my game-plan on my quilt that I could share with you!

Thanks for the love and kind words about my quilt. It really is one of my bestest treasured pieces now. My mother-in-law and father-in-law both came by to see it last week and they both really gushed over it. The first thing Mom did was turn it over and comment on how nice & crisp I got all my corners. I could've popped with pride! I was sooooo cautious when piecing the rows together to match each corner perfectly so the back would be flawless. And it is! And Mom noticed!!!!!! :sohappy:

Future projects. One of my old cabbage patch buddies has found her niche creating beautiful, mind-blowing heirloom-quality teddy bears. She's enlisted me to make little lined pouches to store each in (makes for great presentation) and designing clothes for them. Talk about tedious stuff! There aren't patterns that small! So I'm taking my ability to sew clothing from patterns with instructions a step further by creating my own patterns from scratch and making tiny outfits. Very, very tedious stuff. It's a real workout for my patience-muscles. LOL! Also, she has sent me a stack of books about making teddy bears. I purchased a quantity of mohair last week. I'm also working on my own custom pattern for teddy bears and will be trying my hand at the art of bear-making. I'm in the process of selling off another batch of my cabbage dollies to fund bear-making supplies. The good materials are pretty pricey. But when I see her making a bear with $35 or so in materials and selling it for over $300, I'm willing to take the plunge and give it a shot. The best part is the fun in making something so awesome. I love to make stuff! I always have! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom