My first ever quilt & it had to be Disney-fied!

mouselvrmom

Thanks! The quilt is the reason why I'm so miserably behind on your trip report. I was doing okay keeping up even with doing all the school stuff with the boys but then pile on all the sewing and the computer totally took the back seat. Lots more sewing coming up...and the floors around here are almost frightening. I'll have to stop everything soon and just do some good ol' scrubbin' around here. I'd rather catch up on trip reports, tho. :D

Sewing is sooooo not hard. I swear! It's like anything else in life, you don't start out an expert. But it's not hard. Rag quilts are a great start into sewing, too, because of their simple as pie design. If you're ever really curious I can send you a link to a great website that walks you thru them. The best thing about these quilts is even if you're work is kinda rough still, it's okay! You'll never know it by looking at the quilt!

I wish I had the time & money to make quilts for all my friends and family. I really, really do. To me, there's no better way to send a hug to someone than to have them wrap a quilt I made around them. :D

Thanks again for the sweet words about my quilt. I can't get the hang of Photoshop as easy as a lot of folks, don't take very good pictures, but I *can* sew. I guess instead of wishing I could do stuff I can't I should enjoy the stuff I do know how to do more often. Silly me, huh? :hammer:

Yes, totally send me a link to check out. I think it'd be neat to learn how, in my spare time that is... :lookaroun:lol:

And don't worry about being behind in reading my trip report, because I'm really behind in writing it! I have to get back on track once the kiddos go back to school! :D

You're right! Everyone has their talents! I usually wish I could do more instead of being happy with what I can do, like you! That quilt is really full of fabulousness and someday I'll make myself one! :sohappy:

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Yes, totally send me a link to check out. I think it'd be neat to learn how, in my spare time that is... :lookaroun:lol:

And don't worry about being behind in reading my trip report, because I'm really behind in writing it! I have to get back on track once the kiddos go back to school! :D

You're right! Everyone has their talents! I usually wish I could do more instead of being happy with what I can do, like you! That quilt is really full of fabulousness and someday I'll make myself one! :sohappy:

I'll send ya that link in a sec. :animwink: Someday I'm gonna make the time to go thru my Photoshop tutorial program and learn the digital scrapbooking like you ladies do and totally rock my volumes of Disney pictures, too. :D

maggiegrace1

I think you need to make one for Gabby & Jerome!!!!!
Send me Gabby and Jerome!!!!!!!!:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Great quilt...so pretty..I wish I had the patience to do that...so gorgeous..and as soon as I have more money than sense I will order one from you :D

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Send me Gabby and Jerome!!!!!!!!:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Great quilt...so pretty..I wish I had the patience to do that...so gorgeous..and as soon as I have more money than sense I will order one from you :D

Awwww...thanks so much! Believe me, I have the patience of a gnat on crack. It's a challenge for me, too. Anyone could do it. Seriously. It's very simple. Buuuuut, if that more money than sense thing becomes an issue for ya, I'd be happy for you to look me up. LOL!

And if Gabby and Jerome are any bit as fun as their parents I think that twosome might be too much for anyone other than their Mommy & Daddy to handle! :D

Kerby626

Oh Kelly- you know who would love a Star Wars one..

But seriously if you want to make them one we would appreciate anything you send. Jerome's bedding is dark blue and green(sea life) and Gabby's is all pink/purple/light green and girly. The fabric wouldn't be an issue they are much better with the different things and breathing. It mainly all the cig smoke that was being sent to us.

minnie2000

Wow - what a gorgeous quilt! I love to sew, but I don't think I could make anything like that - although I would like to try! How do you get those lovely little ruffly edges on each square? Could you send me the link too?

I would buy something like that from you if I had the spare cash!

mouselvrmom

I'll send ya that link in a sec. :animwink: Someday I'm gonna make the time to go thru my Photoshop tutorial program and learn the digital scrapbooking like you ladies do and totally rock my volumes of Disney pictures, too. :D

Like you need something more to start, right? :hammer::lol:

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Oh Kelly- you know who would love a Star Wars one..

But seriously if you want to make them one we would appreciate anything you send. Jerome's bedding is dark blue and green(sea life) and Gabby's is all pink/purple/light green and girly. The fabric wouldn't be an issue they are much better with the different things and breathing. It mainly all the cig smoke that was being sent to us.

Okee-dokee! I'll be on the lookout for the right fabrics. I think I have some stuff in mind..... and, of course, need to find a couple extra hours in each day to take on more sewing.... LOL!

Wow - what a gorgeous quilt! I love to sew, but I don't think I could make anything like that - although I would like to try! How do you get those lovely little ruffly edges on each square? Could you send me the link too?

I would buy something like that from you if I had the spare cash!

Thank you so much for the sweet comments! The ruffly edges are the frayed seams. On a rag quilt you don't hide the seams inside the quilt all nice and neat. Nope. You keep all hanging around outside then go back and snip the exposed seams every 1/4". Throw it into the washer & dryer a few times and the fraying goes crazy. That makes all the little decorative rufflies between all the squares. Simple and fun! :wave:

Like you need something more to start, right? :hammer::lol:

Riiiiiiight...... :hammer: But I can never say no to more projects. I just keep lining 'em up. I think I'm entirely too optimistic. :lol:

SewIn2Disney

Beautiful work! You should go post this on the Disney Crafting board---tons of people would love it there!
I LOVE sewing and quilting, and have quite the collection of Disney fabrics, and have made quite a few quilts, but never a Disney quilt---just can't find the "right" thing to do with them all! I love the rag quilt, and the colors you picked are just beautiful! I love how you did mickey outlines in the middle of the squares---very cute! (And that must have taken lots of patience!)
Excellent work!

WishIWasAtWDW

that is such a cute quilt! i would love to know how to make one. could you send me the link with the instructions on how to make a rag quilt? i have been trying to start a tshirt quilt for awhile but i haven't bought a sewing machine yet. do you have any recommendations for a beginner?

SewIn2Disney

that is such a cute quilt! i would love to know how to make one. could you send me the link with the instructions on how to make a rag quilt? i have been trying to start a tshirt quilt for awhile but i haven't bought a sewing machine yet. do you have any recommendations for a beginner?
If you search for rag quilt, you'll come up with hundreds of different ways of doing it, but this is a nice tutorial:
http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpatternsprojects/ss/rag_quilt.htm

T-shirt quilts are tricky--you need to make sure you properly stabalize the tshirts before sewing them, or the stretch in them will skew your measurments and sewing. You should back them with a light-to-medium weight fusible interfacing before cutting and sewing.

And to answer your last question---
I own over 20 sewing machines of various makes and models (people tend to give me their machines, or I rescue them from the curb). I like Brother sewing machines for beginners---easy to use, have the right amount of functions for a beginner, generally reasonably priced. I'd look for a machine in the $100 range, anything cheaper and you're getting just that---cheap. It may break easier, or not have good stitch quality. My local WalMart and Target both carry decent Brother machines. For high-quality, I like Elna machines, but they can be pricy for a beginner!
Good luck and have fun!

WishIWasAtWDW

If you search for rag quilt, you'll come up with hundreds of different ways of doing it, but this is a nice tutorial:

T-shirt quilts are tricky--you need to make sure you properly stabalize the tshirts before sewing them, or the stretch in them will skew your measurments and sewing. You should back them with a light-to-medium weight fusible interfacing before cutting and sewing.

I own over 20 sewing machines of various makes and models (people tend to give me their machines, or I rescue them from the curb). I like Brother sewing machines for beginners---easy to use, have the right amount of functions for a beginner, generally reasonably priced. I'd look for a machine in the $100 range, anything cheaper and you're getting just that---cheap. It may break easier, or not have good stitch quality. My local WalMart and Target both carry decent Brother machines. For high-quality, I like Elna machines, but they can be pricy for a beginner!
Good luck and have fun!

thanks for the advice! i have been reading up about tshirt quilts for a little while now but i haven't gotten the courage to actually start :lol: i will have to take a look at that tutorial on rag quilts. and then i need to get a sewing machine so i can actually start making all these fun quilts! $100 doesn't sound too bad. thanks again!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster

Thanks so much for the compliment!

Rag quilts are so simple! Seriously! I Googled "How to make a rag quilt" and all sorts of stuff popped up. Also, go to YouTube to watch some tutorials. Rag quilt construction is not like traditional quilts. With traditional quilts you piece your top squares into the complete top, layer the top/middle/back, do the "quilting", then finish the edges (or something very similar to that). With rag quilts you layer each square like a sandwich: top/middle/back, "quilt" each sandwich, piece your sandwiches together into rows, sew your rows together, snip the exposed seams, then wash/dry a few times.

Here's an additional link for you to look at. Try to find instructions that are pic-heavy if you're not real familiar with sewing and the lingo. You'll catch on fast. Make sure you understand what the steps are. Visualize how you will do things. As you're preparing to actually sew, hold the pieces together so you can see and confirm your seams will be the way you want them. That's something I learned from watching my MiL sew. She pins stuff together then turns it back to see what it'll look like. She spends the extra time re-confirming things to herself. That extra time is important because it keeps you from having to go back, pick out your stitching mess-up, then re-sew. Believe me, having the patience of a gnat on crack I've had to learn the hard way to SLOW DOWN. LOL!

Good luck and have fun!

Agreed with many points here! If doing a tshirt quilt, definitely stabilize that fabric first! I try to watch for sales at the fabric stores and buy the iron-on Pellon interfacing in big quantities.

Sewing machines. I've been sewing by hand as long as I can remember. I just always liked to make stuff. I started really learning machine sewing when I met my hubby. For 15 years I borrowed machines from my MiL or had hand-me-downs from my mother. While the DH was making the big bucks 2 1/2 years ago I invested in my first brand new machine. I went to a sewing specialty shop locally and had the ladies show me the different models they had. I knew I didn't want one of the big-mammy-jammies that does all the computerized embroidery (not ready for all that!) but I wanted something good quality with a few of the bells-n-whistles. I think I ended up with a machine that was a step or 2 over entry-level. I got a Brother Project Runway Edition. The features that sold me were: I don't have to use the presser-foot while sewing to control the start/stop/speed, self-threading, drop-in bobbin, the overlock stitch, and self-measuring button-hole. If they had a machine that whips out zippers for you I'd spend any amount of money for that but unfortunately people still have to do some of the work. And zippers are my nemesis! LOL! I didn't purchase the machine right away. I came home & did some searching online to do some price comparison. The price at the little specialty shop was actually very competitive with everyone else so I went back and made the purchase from the lady who showed me the machines. I'm pretty sure I paid about $400 for it but I didn't necessarily want entry-level.

Like SewIn2Disney said, you can pick up entry-level simple machines at Walmart or Target in the $100 range. That's probably a great option for beginning. Once you know you'll be using it more and what options are the most appealing to you, that's when it's time to take the step up.

Oh! And SewIn2Disney, I'm sending you a PM! I have some questions about more heavy-duty machines and the AccuQuilt system.

thanks for the advice! i have been reading up about tshirt quilts for a little while now but i haven't gotten the courage to actually start :lol: i will have to take a look at that tutorial on rag quilts. and then i need to get a sewing machine so i can actually start making all these fun quilts! $100 doesn't sound too bad. thanks again!

T-shirt quilts are awesome! I love the idea of upcycling and repurposing things. A couple years ago I was shopping at Ikea in Houston and saw these pillow inserts that were shaped like a tshirt but it was a pillow. You could slip your old tshirts over it for the "pillow-case". I thought these were brilliant but had so much in my buggy already that I passed them up. I fully intended to go back for them. Well, I forgot about them and didn't remember until last year when I was finally back in Ikea with time to browse. Dangit if they didn't have them anymore! They'd be simple to make out of an inexpensive muslin or even an old sheet. Just trace the t-shirt shape onto your fabric, draw a 2nd line in about 1/2 inch from your tracing, cut 2, and stich like you would a pillow insert. Sew the tshirt neck & arm openings shut with a blind-stitch and add snaps, buttons, or even velcro to the shirt bottom to hold it shut once your insert is inside. Voila! Your tshirt is now a pillow! And you can switch out your tshirts, too! Cool, huh????

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Just saw this thread...um, I want one!! :lol: I just love it! So cute. You did an amazing job! :)

Thanks so much, Nicole. I love my quilt so so much. I've had such rave feedback about it. My hubby's been really encouraging me to consider making a couple to try selling on Etsy or eBay. The most tedious parts that took forever were cutting the squares and snipping the frays. I *think* I have a solution for that, tho. Sooo, last night I ordered a quantity of 2 killer Disney fabrics from a lady in China. I'm gonna make 2 just to see what interest I can get. I'm still really unsure considering they won't be cheap for whoever might buy them. The Disney fabrics are pretty pricey plus shipping from China isn't cheap. If I'm sewing my heart has to be in it and I have to like what I'm working with. Worst case? Nobody likes them so I can keep them. Lol!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom