Movies...movies...movies

NemoRocks78

Seized
Bruno was great. Not as good as Borat, but still great.

I Love You, Beth Cooper was also really good. I was surprised that it stayed pretty darn faithful to the book (one of my favorites). I guess it didn't need the R rating to work.

Finally going to go see MOON today! Yay!
Nice dude, I'ma be catching it at PI tomorrow. Hope it's as sweet as it looks. :sohappy:

EpcotServo

Loved MOON. Excellent real Science Fiction (AKA Sci-Fi as a background to a great story.)

I'm amazed this movie got made, let alone with a small budget and indie studio support.

The kind of movie you have to seek out, because you have to THINK about it while you are watching it. People don't like that.
:dazzle: :brick:

Jasonflz

I'm pretty surprised this movie got an R rating considering some precedents that have been set about certain things before. There isn't a lot of swearing, but still I think the crew behind the picture had to be pretty surprised they got away with an R rating for the film.

Apparently the film crew had to edit TONS out to get to an R rating. I won't be surprised to see the Unrated edition on DVD.

dxwwf3

Apparently the film crew had to edit TONS out to get to an R rating. I won't be surprised to see the Unrated edition on DVD.

And I'm surprised they didn't have to edit more. I finally saw Public Enemies today and I really enjoyed it, much more than Heat and Miami Vice, but not quite as much as Collateral. But I can't believe that Public Enemies and Bruno have the same rating. Yes there is violence in Public Enemies, but if that movie had been rated PG-13, I don't think many people would have said a thing. It is one of the lightest R's I have ever seen.

imagineer boy

And I'm surprised they didn't have to edit more. I finally saw Public Enemies today and I really enjoyed it, much more than Heat and Miami Vice, but not quite as much as Collateral. But I can't believe that Public Enemies and Bruno have the same rating. Yes there is violence in Public Enemies, but if that movie had been rated PG-13, I don't think many people would have said a thing. It is one of the lightest R's I have ever seen.

I agree, I think the ratings system is kind of messed up right now. They're too strict on PG-13 movies and too soft on R rated movies. I remember seeing 3:10 to Yuma which was rated R but it only had a little bit of blood during some of the shoot outs but that was it. It really should've been rated PG-13.

dxwwf3

Yeah that's another movie that I think could have easily been PG-13 with some very minor tweaks.

I think there needs to be a PG-15 or something along those lines to get some more room between PG-13 and R. Things like Public Enemies and 3:10 To Yuma would be PG-15.

Lee

Adventurer
Saw Patter 6 at the midnight showing last night.
Very good. Possibly the best in the series.

Except....The first 2 hours and 15 min were great....the last 15...totally failed for me.
What was an epic sequence in the book, totally fizzled in the film. Very disappointing.:rolleyes:

EPCOT Explorer

Saw Patter 6 at the midnight showing last night.
Very good. Possibly the best in the series.

Except....The first 2 hours and 15 min were great....the last 15...totally failed for me.
What was an epic sequence in the book, totally fizzled in the film. Very disappointing.:rolleyes:

Really now!?

Does the whole ending fail as in just the fighting, or the searching, too?:lookaroun:lol:

dxwwf3

I thought the whole Potter thing was past its prime, but I can't believe the box office returns that are already coming in. I bet this makes the team over at Universal Orlando very happy.

Personally I know (and care) nothing about the Potter series, but it looks like these characters are here to stay, very much like the Star Wars and Star Trek properties.

imagineer boy

Well, just about all of the Harry Potter movies have bad endings. :lol: COS' lame cheering for Hagrid scene, Harry's blurred still image in POA, and Hermoine's cheesy "Everything's going to change now, isn't it?" line in GOF. I'd say SS and OotP are the only ones with good endings.

SirGoofy

Potter 6 was spectacular. Loved every minute. I will agree that the end was a bit disappointing, but I have to admit I went in expecting to be underwhelmed with that sequence. There was no way they could deliver the same punch there as the book.

I am also glad they touched on the Lupin/Tonks relationship.

Cast wise, I felt Lavender was spectacular. Exactly how I imagined her in the book. Ginny really didn't hold up well in her expanded role, but she wasn't terrible. Rupert has really came into his own as Ron, and Emma Watson may be the love of my life, I'm not sure. But the biggest, and most pleasant, surprise was Radcliffe. I think he did a GREAT job on this one. He had never really impressed me before, but I found myself really taken to him in this one. Bravo.

But honestly, it was a spectacular movie, could be my favorite of the summer.

dandaman

I was really expecting the movie to be completely dark with minimal humour, but it seemed to be a healthy balance of both. (Saw the midnight show with my sister; after six days of wisdom-teeth-extraction recovery, I just wanted to get out of the house more than anything. :lol: )

Also last night, rented the movie "Defiance" with Daniel Craig. IMO a VERY well-done film, if not a little difficult to follow at isolated points.

EPCOT Explorer

For me, the whole ending falls far short of the book. Moreso even than you normally expect. Very anti-climactic.
Wow...Kinda shocked. It looked great in the trailers.
Potter 6 was spectacular. Loved every minute. I will agree that the end was a bit disappointing, but I have to admit I went in expecting to be underwhelmed with that sequence. There was no way they could deliver the same punch there as the book.

I am also glad they touched on the Lupin/Tonks relationship.

Cast wise, I felt Lavender was spectacular. Exactly how I imagined her in the book. Ginny really didn't hold up well in her expanded role, but she wasn't terrible. Rupert has really came into his own as Ron, and Emma Watson may be the love of my life, I'm not sure. But the biggest, and most pleasant, surprise was Radcliffe. I think he did a GREAT job on this one. He had never really impressed me before, but I found myself really taken to him in this one. Bravo.

But honestly, it was a spectacular movie, could be my favorite of the summer.
Sounds great...Trying to see it today!
I was really expecting the movie to be completely dark with minimal humour, but it seemed to be a healthy balance of both. (Saw the midnight show with my sister; after six days of wisdom-teeth-extraction recovery, I just wanted to get out of the house more than anything. :lol: )

Also last night, rented the movie "Defiance" with Daniel Craig. IMO a VERY well-done film, if not a little difficult to follow at isolated points.
:dazzle: Feel better!

imagineer boy

Well, managed to see it one night early. Loved it! Barely edges out Star Trek as my favourite movie of the summer. I really appreciated how they managed to bring in all of the characters from the last movies and give them some good screen time, especially Snape and McGonagal who got the shaft in the last movie. And I thought Slughorn was great, not as I imagined in the book (I would've liked to have seen John Rhys-Davies in the role) but great none-the less.

The only things I didn't like were I thought the attack on the Burrow scene was really kinda pointless. I know it wasn't in the book, but I didn't feel it was needed. As for the ending, I didn't think it was bad just kinda quiet and down beat. I think they could've dropped the Burrow scene and put in Dumbledor's funeral at the end.

Still, I loved it!:sohappy:

Well I just got round to seeing Terminator: Salvation and I actually really enjoyed it. It was alot better than TF2.

The only thing I didn't like was the blatant 'oh look we're using lines from the previous movies'.

And actually Arnie didn't look that bad - he looked a hell of a lot better than Ian McKellen in Wolverine!

Lee

Adventurer
As for the ending, I didn't think it was bad just kinda quiet and down beat. I think they could've dropped the Burrow scene and put in Dumbledor's funeral at the end.
Dumbledore's funeral would have been ok, but my biggest problem was how the huge, epic battle from the book turned into just a little squabble. What happened to a horde of Deatheaters invading Hogwarts? What happened to Dumbledore's Army and the Order of the Phoenix showing up to help fight! Much death! Much destruction! All gone....
Now Harry just chases them across the grounds, they light Hagrid's hut on fire, and leave. Very weak. I really can't imagine why they reduced such an important event to nothing.
Really damaged the film for me.:shrug:

imagineer boy

Dumbledore's funeral would have been ok, but my biggest problem was how the huge, epic battle from the book turned into just a little squabble. What happened to a horde of Deatheaters invading Hogwarts? What happened to Dumbledore's Army and the Order of the Phoenix showing up to help fight! Much death! Much destruction! All gone....
Now Harry just chases them across the grounds, they light Hagrid's hut on fire, and leave. Very weak. I really can't imagine why they reduced such an important event to nothing.
Really damaged the film for me.:shrug:

Actually, I think they're probably saving it up for the battle at the end of the next movie so it wouldn't be like "didn't we already see this in the last movie?"

EpcotServo

All I have to say about Harry Potter is...

GREYSTACHEEEE! *sobs* Greeyyyystacheeee! No man should outlive his fictional wizard...No man!
:cry:

-Homer Simpson

Seriously, it was...a film. Still can't beat the world building awesomeness of Goblet of Fire. Also not enough Lupin/Tonks.

Really, you guys should be more psyched about much better things than Harry Potter.
:lol: :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom