Movies...movies...movies

dxwwf3

Just got back from Inception, and I thought it was alright but I honestly think it was way overhyped. :shrug:

I thought it was really confusing, hard to follow, overly long, and the Matrix style effects were pretty much all spoiled in the previews. But it did have some good acting and the SFX sequences while spoiled in the previews were reallly cool.

IMO it surpassed every bit of the hype. I found it to be much easier to follow than I was expecting, but a repeat viewing will help make everything crystal clear. Easily the best movie of the year and it's Christopher Nolan's best as well and that's saying something.

Number_6

Saw Scott Pilgrim vs The World today. I had only gotten to read the first book and about half of the second before going to it today. My wife and kids came along and a great time was had by all. Just a whole lot of fun in this movie, from the 8-Bit Universal logo and music at the start right to the end of the movie. Wonderful visuals and effects. Definitely one I will get a hold of when it releases on DVD.

EpcotServo

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is pure amazing. It's literally a slice of everything I love, and then some.

Anyone who does not see it will automatically lose all my Respect Points.

Lee

Adventurer
I'm gonna give the Pilgrim film a chance this week.
Despite absolutely hating the trailer and the fact that I have low tolerance for geeky teenage hipsters, as it would appear Scott P. is.:shrug:

I guess I just have faith in Edgar Wright based on his past work.

EpcotServo

I'm gonna give the Pilgrim film a chance this week.
Despite absolutely hating the trailer and the fact that I have low tolerance for geeky teenage hipsters, as it would appear Scott P. is.:shrug:

I guess I just have faith in Edgar Wright based on his past work.

It would please you to know that the only Hipsters in the film are Flying Hipster Demon Chicks, which are summoned by the first Evil Ex and soon defeated by Mr. Pilgrim.

Simply put, Scott Pilgrim is the two hour long version of the "What if life were like a Video Game?' question Fry asked in that episode of Futurama. It's got Rock and Roll, Comedy, Love, Action, and seven levels of visual awesomeness. It's also got a lot of SPACED in there.

I think they should've done better on the main trailer. The INTERNATIONAL version was much better, without the "It's on like Donkey Kong" line I'm sure the Universal Marketing Team loved.

Either way, this WILL be THE Cult Classic this year will have produced for all eternity.

CoffeeJedi

It would please you to know that the only Hipsters in the film are Flying Hipster Demon Chicks, which are summoned by the first Evil Ex and soon defeated by Mr. Pilgrim.

Umm, really? I'd say the only characters who WEREN'T hipsters were Knives, Young Neil, and possibly Scott himself (though Knives definitely upgraded by the end of the movie, and Scott still has the look and the lifestyle, he's just too poor and dorky to really fit the definition)

At any rate, I freakin' loved the movie! I just started the graphic novels but didn't feel too spoiled as the film was just the Clif's Notes version, and apparently has a fairly different ending. I loved how the characters just live in a video game and don't think it's odd that people can have mystic powers or can "level up" in skills. Seems like a lot of older reviewers just didn't get that idea and wanted more explanation. I do wish that the film spent a little more time with the subspace portals though, they were glossed over pretty quickly and actually contribute more to the plot in the books.

But over-all I loved it. Funny story after the movie. [BEGIN SPOILERS] We were discussing the "Nega-Scott" character, and my friends didn't quite get it, they thought it was a play on words of "Mega" like "Mega-man". I explained that no, it was a "negative" evil palette swapped version of Scott. -Silence and confused looks. "You know, like Nega-Duck from Darkwing Duck?" -Immediate recognition and understanding! :sohappy: [END SPOILERS]

EpcotServo

Anyone see Machete yet? I'm hoping to see it tomorrow.

Just got back from it. Classic Robert Rodriguez, fun over the top action and Grindhouse filmmaking. Immensely enjoyed. Lots of people going for "Over the top stupid" movies but end up trying, this one is what you need to make a "stupid" movie that those others didn't have: Smarts, and wit. Without pandering to the audience at all, while satisfying it completely.
:lol: :D

Sadly The American wasn't good at all. George Clooney and Grant Heslov are favorites of mine, but his acting and his producing didn't save it from being a very dry faux-arthouse film. They tried for suspense, but ended up just having a plain boring first two acts. Do not recommend, sadly.

Scott Pilgrim and Machete deserve all your dollars for the next few weekends, go support good cinema.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom