Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor

SirGoofy

Please don't even mention a 5th gate. Worst thing they could do at this point.

ZOMG!!!!! I HEARD DISNEY WAS TOTALLY GOING TO BUILD A FIFTH PARK WITH ALL BIG ROLLER COASTERS THEMED TO VILLAINS!!!! A BUS DRIVER TOLD ME THIS AND HE SAID IT WOULD OPEN IN THREE YEARS!!!!!

Sorry. I couldn't help it. There's been so few 5th gate threads lately I felt like a post like this was overdue.:D

SirGoofy

Yeah as I think about it and when my parents told me how good it was with he houses and that. It probably would disappear at one point probably won't make it to the 40th anniversary. Even though it is a classic!

The only thing I'll be sad to see go is Catastrophe Canyon. Such a great sequence of events. Unfortunately you have to sit through an incredibly boring ride to get there.

tirian

I love DHS compared to MGM. And I am optimistic for the future.

I hope that they follow the most popular proposal and just split the park into various studio lands—LucasFilm, Pixar, Muppets, etc. That's about the only way to make it "work."

Sadly, things are being smashed together without adequate planning. Imagine if RNRC would have been built elsewhere, and then AI could have been next to it, along BATB and some sort of Motion Picture Soundtrack attraction, effectively creating a music-themed "land." As it is now, BATB and RNRC branch off 1940s Sunset Blvd., and Pixar Studios is in the ghetto, and...

DisneyDellsDude

People in the know...
With Toy Story Mania and this Monsters Inc Rollercoaster, plus Stitch's Great Escape maybe going away sometime in the future (To Tiki Room), do you think Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin and MILF will head out as well?

That would free up the Avenue of the Planets from the mess it has become - and give Tomorrowland a fresh start.

Anyone think it is possible for the future?

djkidkaz

And therein I think lies the core issue. It used to be a great park. Today it is a shadow of a former self. They shouldn`t have to `be creating` anything - it used to have the `it` factor before it was allowed to loose its way. Now they`re trying to fix what was allowed to break instead of not breaking it to begin with.

I guess Disney can't win with some of you. You complain that they are not what they used to be and are being cheap, yet when they try to fix the problems they are knocked for letting it break to begin with! :rolleyes: Unbelievable!

WDW1974

And therein I think lies the core issue. It used to be a great park. Today it is a shadow of a former self. They shouldn`t have to `be creating` anything - it used to have the `it` factor before it was allowed to loose its way. Now they`re trying to fix what was allowed to break instead of not breaking it to begin with.

Well said. I wonder if you'll engender the hate I do when I state the obvious too!:wave:

All of WDW's parks except for DAK -- hey it just completed its first decade so what do you expect? -- are shadows of their former selves.

The Studios are easily the most skippable of the FLA parks and I usually do if I have no time for one. But MK is stale as can be and as much as I love and still enjoy Epcot it is a pale shadow of the awe-inspiring EPCOT Center of the 80s and early 90s.

As pheneix pointed out, there simply is no plan at WDW. No long term vision (DVC aside).

So nothing gets planned for. It's 2009 now. WDW's 40th is in 34 months time and there is no idea as to whether they'll acknowledge it beyond LE pins and retro merchandise or if they do to what extent it will take and will they even attempt simple things like new parades and pyro, let alone attractions.

It is a pi$$poor way of running a business, let alone a creative enterprise like WDW.

Busch can plan. Universal can plan.

Disney can sit back and look at resort occupancy projections for February.

Really. This is how they do business.

As to this coaster, Martin is right (but we've been two here whose tune hasn't changed) that this coaster is coming ... just not yet.

Once again, Jim Hill adds 2+2 and gets 75.

WDW1974

I was under the impression a new Star Tours Adventure would be going head to head with Harry Potter land day and date? :confused:

Yeah ... it will be open by then (hopefully).

But so what?

If Disney wants to fight HP, then it knows what it must do -- invest in a bigtime addition (as well as smaller projects) at the MK.

It must freshen up the stalest MK of them all.

Does anyone think they're up to the challenge?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yeah ... it will be open by then (hopefully).

But so what?

If Disney wants to fight HP, then it knows what it must do -- invest in a bigtime addition (as well as smaller projects) at the MK.

It must freshen up the stalest MK of them all.

Does anyone think they're up to the challenge?

Disney doesn't care about HP. If HP brings people to Orlando, that's a win for Disney, as they know that the vast majority who go to Orlando also go to Disney. Disney see their big threat from cruises and Vegas. Maybe some egos at Disney would like to see something to brag about at the time of HP, but I think that's about all.

Let's also wait and see how good HP even is. If it's the usual Universal standard, I would expect a lot of hype, and not much substance.

WDW1974

Disney doesn't care about HP. If HP brings people to Orlando, that's a win for Disney, as they know that the vast majority who go to Orlando also go to Disney.

Oh, I'd disagree with that Steve. Not so much the Potter point, because Disney is still arrogant enough to believe that marketing campaigns and crap like MILF, SGE and the like are enough to compete with anyone.

But it's what Potter represents that's a bigger concern.

Disney, through it's Destination Disney initiative (DME, DDP and all that personalization crap is all part of that), has spent this decade going full throttle with the goal of making every guest to Orlando a prisoner on WDW property.

Potter is the biggest game-changer this decade because it WILL get people off-property ... even if only for one day (but many for more). And that is what Disney fears most of all. Because once people leave 'the magic' behind they may wake up to all the better values available to them off-property in O-Town ... from lodging to dining to shopping (that's leaving the Universal parks out of the equation entirely).

That's what they fear.

And even if only half WDW guests take one day away from their WDW vacations, the sum of money Disney will lose will be significant. And I'm going with a low figure. And not considering the many folks who have grown tired of the staleness of the Disney product and the constant nickel and diming and have been waiting some reason to go elsewhere ...

Disney see their big threat from cruises and Vegas. Maybe some egos at Disney would like to see something to brag about at the time of HP, but I think that's about all.

I dunno about that either. Cruises certainly compete in many cases with WDW .... but DCL (an ever-expanding one at that) helps blunt that. And Vegas ... well, I'm willing to bet that most people don't generally put them both in the same class when deciding on a vacation (I do ... but I love them both ... but I'm also a single male with no kids ... Vegas isn't really a family destination, although with the resorts/pools/shows it can be a fun place for a child ... but I think most would prefer theme parks).

Let's also wait and see how good HP even is. If it's the usual Universal standard, I would expect a lot of hype, and not much substance.

Again, it's a matter of opinion. I'd take Simpsons over Star Tours. I'd take Men in Black over either Toy Story or Buzz Lightyear. I'd take Mummy over RnRC. I'd place Spiderman amongst the best Disney attractions ... and Cat In the Hat amongst the best Disney dark rides. I'd take Jurassic Park over Kali RR (even if it did cost me the only cap I've ever lost on any theme park attraction) any day.

There's plenty of crap at Universal/IOA. But there's plenty of crap at WDW ... it just has a dose of pixie dust on top that for some folks seems to make everything OK.

And, FWIW, everything I've heard says HP will be the real deal and immediately be the in thing in the Orlando theme park wars ... and let's not forget again the mega coaster that Uni and SW will debut this year while Disney debuts great new cups, napkins and banners ... oh and a kareoke show at TPFKaTD-MGMS.

Like I said ... we'll see what happens soon enough.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
And, FWIW, everything I've heard says HP will be the real deal and immediately be the in thing in the Orlando theme park wars ... and let's not forget again the mega coaster that Uni and SW will debut this year while Disney debuts great new cups, napkins and banners ... oh and a kareoke show at TPFKaTD-MGMS.

Like I said ... we'll see what happens soon enough.

Well competition is great, and I'd love to see HP raise the bar and force a hand. I'll guess we'll see. :)

On that Universal note, have you heard anything about what Scott Trowbridge is up to now at WDI?

wannabeBelle

Intriguing thread here, thanks for all of the great input. I love getting a tidbit or two about what might be next. I Actually happen to love DHS. One of my favorite bands is there and because of that I do spend quite a bit of time over there. Id love the see the park getting some TLC. Great job all! Belle

ttalovebug

My most fervent hope is that they would get MILF the heck out of Tomorrowland and into the Studios alongside the coaster. That would just be... a really, really good thing.

As much as I look down on the execution of the Studios park, it is convenient to have as an oubliette of sorts for "franchise" attractions that other resorts might be forced to include in their Magic Kingdoms.

Toonification and Pixarification continue to concern me, but it's nice to have a "Pixar Studios" were we can now dump stuff like this. The MI coaster should be a pretty sweet ride, too... I just wish we could see some more dark rides at DHS. And more that evokes Hollywood rather than marketing's latest DVD release...

This is what everyone has been saying since MILF opened. Why? Because it makes more sense to have this attraction in DHS than Tomorrowland, for pete's sake. But in reality, we can chuck that concept out the window, right? They would not go through the trouble, especially with how "cheap" managment continues to get, to relocate an entire attraction just a few miles away. So if this coaster opens with such a similar plotline to MILF, will they keep MILF at all?

jt04

I hope that they follow the most popular proposal and just split the park into various studio lands—LucasFilm, Pixar, Muppets, etc. That's about the only way to make it "work."

Sadly, things are being smashed together without adequate planning. Imagine if RNRC would have been built elsewhere, and then AI could have been next to it, along BATB and some sort of Motion Picture Soundtrack attraction, effectively creating a music-themed "land." As it is now, BATB and RNRC branch off 1940s Sunset Blvd., and Pixar Studios is in the ghetto, and...

Hey we agree.

The only other option I see for them is to eventually drop "Studios" from the park name and just let it grow organically. A park with no real form but rather one that just meanders with suprises around each corner is an interesting possibility.

I really love the studios idea you suggest though. I see George Lucas as the one person who carried on Walt Disney's legacy so there is a continuity to having GL's work represented at DHS. Not sure WDC and Lucas see it that way but there are so many similarities between the two men in my mind so maybe that would work out. Talk about a win-win. Lucas started Pixar in case you didn't know. Jobs only nurtured it.

jt04

This is what everyone has been saying since MILF opened. Why? Because it makes more sense to have this attraction in DHS than Tomorrowland, for pete's sake. But in reality, we can chuck that concept out the window, right? They would not go through the trouble, especially with how "cheap" managment continues to get, to relocate an entire attraction just a few miles away. So if this coaster opens with such a similar plotline to MILF, will they keep MILF at all?

The only way I could see it moving to DHS is if another park wants the attraction. Then Disney could clone it at DHS and, once it was operational, send the original to the new park. I think it could work very well out in DCA, what with all the struggling comedic talent out there and all. Again a win-win.

It definitely needs to be removed from TL however.

jt04

Disney doesn't care about HP. If HP brings people to Orlando, that's a win for Disney, as they know that the vast majority who go to Orlando also go to Disney. Disney see their big threat from cruises and Vegas. Maybe some egos at Disney would like to see something to brag about at the time of HP, but I think that's about all.

Very stange. I was just thinking the same thing. Disney was the first to begin Imagineering HP and I believe they have a very good idea of what it will be. I think they just aren't afraid of it. I agree too, it will be just like IoA, awesome on paper but only OK in reality. I love Spiderman but that is really the only thing IoA had that rivals the Disney experience. So now, perhaps, there will be a second great attraction. I agree with Disney's "wait and see" strategy.

raven

The rumor is true. Disney Imagineers went to Barton Marlow Corp. in the Detroit area last summer to meet with them about a new "attraction" themed to Monsters Inc. (coaster) for DHS. A friend of mine works for the company and was in the meeting and she text me about it. No other details were released so now it's the waiting game.

jt04

The rumor is true. Disney Imagineers went to Barton Marlow Corp. in the Detroit area last summer to meet with them about a new "attraction" themed to Monsters Inc. (coaster) for DHS. A friend of mine works for the company and was in the meeting and she text me about it. No other details were released so now it's the waiting game.

Just a guess here but there was a minor accident at the Crush coaster in Paris recently. I'm just wondering if this sent the MI coaster back for a review and hence the temporary slowdown. Aren't they similar designs?:shrug:

raven

Just a guess here but there was a minor accident at the Crush coaster in Paris recently. I'm just wondering if this sent the MI coaster back for a review and hence the temporary slowdown. Aren't they similar designs?:shrug:

The Monsters Inc. coaster is supposed to be a suspended coaster themed to the door storage facility in the film.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom