Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows

imagineer boy

Oh did anyone understand what was said in the prophecy of "neither can live while the other survives"? Does that mean Harry will survive in the end or they will both have to die. These are just thoughts of mine.

Basically it means "this town ain't big enough for the both of us." Meaning one has to kill the other. I don't really see how it means that both how to die, the way other people have translated it.

mylucky21

I think Harry is going to die.

I think that Snape might still be good because the only reason he killed DD was because he promised Draco’s mum he would help Draco and if he hadn’t Draco would have died.

I reckon Wormtail will die saving Harry because he owes him his life.

Wouldn’t Harry be able to talk to DD painting?

I went and saw the first showing of the movie, it was really good! I was upset that Harry didn’t trash DD’s office-that was funny! They don’t mention that Kreacher betrays them either!!!

I love the audio books.

Who is getting the book at midnight? I’m going dressed as Hagrid on my stilts J

nibblesandbits

Did anyone notice in the movie when Sirius called Harry, James? It was when they were fighting Malfoy and I think Sirius said...good one James. I was like...:eek: That was interesting.

nibblesandbits

I agree with what everyone has said about the movie. It really did fly by! I'm just glad that I have read the book. If not, I would have been confused. So much was happening without a whole lot of explanation in the movie.
Agreed. That's what I thought about this one. People say that POA lost a lot in translation, but to me...it seemed that this one lost so much more. It was still enjoyable, but it just seemed to loose a bit of explaination that could have been necessary or added some element that would have been entertaining or important to the plot.

nibblesandbits

That is actually the only book in the series that I haven't read.

Oh, another tear jerker point in the movie was when Sirius called Harry "James."
:lol: Sorry, I didn't read before I typed. Yeah...I didn't think it was so much a tear jerker...but thought it was quite an interesting addition.

(And sorry for the triple quote. But it's late and I'm "waiting" to go to sleep.)

sarahwiggles99

Who is getting the book at midnight? I’m going dressed as Hagrid on my stilts J

I'm going at midnight with my friends. Ones being Hermione, one Harry, and I'm being Ginny. It shall be fantastic!

I still hate Snape with a burning passion. He could never be good.

Number_6

I have to say, one of the things I liked about the movie and thought was a nice touch was the Soviet-style Cornelius Fudge banner hanging in the Ministry of Magic as part of his propaganda campaign.

dandaman

^I certainly noticed that from the start.

Imelda Staunton played Umbridge dead-on... which was awesome and quite scary at the same time. I, however, have another reason to be freaked: the portrayal of Umbridge was a perfect, PERFECT cross between my worst teacher and my worst principal I've ever had. (We actually had a protest and got our principal out when I graduated Grade 8. THAT made for an awkward Valedictorian speech. :lol: )

Honestly... every single thing she did or looked like, I could attribute to one of the two mentioned. :eek:

CaptainMichael

I do agree that it looked better than GoF's. But from the book's description, I always imagined it as his head... just there in the fire. Not being a part of the fire. But I'll take what I can get, and it looked good.

Yes, it's a complete head, surrounded by flames. Not sure what color the head is though...

CaptainMichael

Agreed. That's what I thought about this one. People say that POA lost a lot in translation, but to me...it seemed that this one lost so much more. It was still enjoyable, but it just seemed to loose a bit of explaination that could have been necessary or added some element that would have been entertaining or important to the plot.

I noticed there were alot of "quiet" moments in the film....maybe it was just me. I guess it was done to show Harry's sense of being alone?

Wilt Dasney

Movie thoughts:

I like the movie Luna more than the character I envisioned reading the book. She had the same mannerisms and all, but...I dunno....the actress was cuter and less annoying to me than the character on the page.

Cho really got the short end of it here. In the book, she and Harry just sort of drift apart after their date, as I recall, and then Marietta snitching kind of cinches it. Here, Umbridge plies Cho with truth serum to find out where the DA is meeting, and Harry basically dumps her after that...for doing something she couldn't help. Bad form, Harry.

Gambon was MUCH better as Dumbledore this time around, I thought. He's still no Richard Harris of course, but that's just not going to happen. He seems to have dialed it back a lot in terms of the temperament, and my inner Dumbledore-lover thanks him.

No question about Sirius' fate here. Bellatrix hitting him with the AK before he fell through the arch pretty much eliminated that sense of "OK, he fell...and now we're supposed to think he's dead?" that I got from that scene in the book.

I was a little disappointed with the flying to the Ministry scene toward the end. How can you film that and not go for one single gag with the kids who can't see the thestrals that they're flying on? That just seems like a reference you HAVE to make, but oh well.

Also, I'm already looking forward to seeing Alan Rickman tackle Snape's increased role in HBP. Whatever Snape turns out to be (and I guess we'll all know soon), I just love watching him portray the character, so I'm happy that he'll be getting plenty of screen time in the next one (even though I know what it means). :(

Number_6

I was a little disappointed with the flying to the Ministry scene toward the end. How can you film that and not go for one single gag with the kids who can't see the thestrals that they're flying on? That just seems like a reference you HAVE to make, but oh well.

I had been wondering the exact same thing when I was watching it. "Well, we killed a couple of spiders in their presence so they've witnessed death... now you can all see the Thestrals, right?" :lookaroun

rbrower

I think I know how she can end it so that nobody can base any books off of the Harry Potter series: Voldemort kills off Harry then kills the whole entire wizarding world, followed by himself. Of course, that might not work with the whole story about who survives in the end. hmmm......

rbrower

I wonder if the shape of Harry's scar has anything to do with the only way to kill Voldemort. If the last word was originally scar, then maybe it does have to do with the central story line more than it did in the previous books. I don't know. Although it does look like a storm is coming on the cover of the US version of the last book.

moviewise- did it bother anyone else that bellatrix says "Avada Kedavra"?
Because we never hear the spell in the book. We spell a red spell (stupify) miss him, and then he catches one in the chest, and he falls through the veil. but we never hear the spell. that was my major complaint

bookwise- harry cant be the last horcrux. i have this worked out. in goblet of fire, voldemort comes back with the bone of his father, flesh of his enemy and blood of his FOE. Now, if harry is a horcrux, he has part of voldemort living inside him, so the blood wouldnt purely be of the foe, and the potion wouldnt have worked and voldemort wouldnt have come back to life. But he did come back. because it was harrys blood. not harry with a seventh of voldemort.

CaptainMichael

moviewise- did it bother anyone else that bellatrix says "Avada Kedavra"?
Because we never hear the spell in the book. We spell a red spell (stupify) miss him, and then he catches one in the chest, and he falls through the veil. but we never hear the spell. that was my major complaint

bookwise- harry cant be the last horcrux. i have this worked out. in goblet of fire, voldemort comes back with the bone of his father, flesh of his enemy and blood of his FOE. Now, if harry is a horcrux, he has part of voldemort living inside him, so the blood wouldnt purely be of the foe, and the potion wouldnt have worked and voldemort wouldnt have come back to life. But he did come back. because it was harrys blood. not harry with a seventh of voldemort.

Well, I think that was done to solidify his death for non-HPfanatics. The death never really affected me the first time I read OotP because it didn't seem very final. I was more concerned when Mr. Weasley was attacked and Hermione was unconcious from the mysterious spell.

Nice theory. I just say Harry isn't a horcrux because he isn't!

lunalovegoddess

*grumbles*
But first... a comment.
I like to think of myself as an expert on the series, because, let's face it: I'm a rabid fangirl. I read and reread, then write fanfiction. I take great pains to write stories that could happen in canon, with a little imagination. I pore over the movies as they come out and compare my interpretation to that of the director. I nitpick and I enjoy it. So, of course, when anyone has a question about continuity in the books or missing scenes from the movies, I like to think they can ask me.

That said, on to the grumbles...

I'm taking a break from livejournal after the way today went, and avoiding my normal sites until I have read the seventh book. Someone supposedly leaked a copy of Deathly Hallows and all of these pseudo-spoilers have been all over that site and others. That is my pet peeve of the day: dealing with morons who cannot put their "spoilers" behind an lj-cut (or link). So, if someone erroneously claims that Harry names his firstborn son Gluteus Maximus, well... :lol: Okay, that one was just plain silly, and obviously a hoax. But, still.

The point is that I don't want to know whether what I accidentally saw was true or not. If it is true, then I will be sad, not because of the content, but because someone had to ruin it for me. I know that this time, I will be sad when I put the actual book down, because I will have already finished it. There will be a sense of loss and of completion. There will be no other HP books, not unless JK Rowling decides to write a spin-off series without the Trio involved. For example, The Travels of Luna Lovegood...

Anyway, if someone is messing around, then it's cruel in a way. The alternative is far worse: copyright infringement. The security on these books are top-notch, and it is very unlikely for someone to be able to snap pictures of the chapters and then post them on the internet... at least, not without some form of harsh punishment. When someone tried to steal copies of the last book, they were caught. It was all over the papers and the internet. However, I haven't heard anything on the headline news sites about these alleged leaks of the final book. (not on mugglenet or jkrowling.com or even yahoo) This makes me doubt the validity of the information.

Any thoughts?

imagineer boy

^^ Yeah, I can relate. I saw someone posting what they knew what was going to happen in book 7, and I read a little of it before I stopped myself because I didn't know if it was true or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom