Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows

Peaches Magee

Yes I really think they could have gone closer to 3 hours with this one, I mean look.. Pirates 3 was 2:45 in length and was not based on a 800+ page book! They could have fit more in but I was glad all the major components were there as you said. Yes I agree the talk between him and DD at the end was very important and should have been longer, though Gambon was much better as a DD in this one for sure. I cant wait to see how he shines in Book 6 Dumblesdore is of the most imprtant role in that one!

Yeah I liked Tonks but wished to see her story more, but then again... time restraints. Yeah the prophecy thing was strange it was only to be heard when broken. And Neville's involvement was explained there too.

Most disapponting to me was the fact that Sirius' mirror was no where in the movie. The one he gave to Harry and he had one too. I was hoping this would play more of a role in the 7th book as I am one of the pyscho HP fans that dares to believe that there is more beyond the veil and Sirius can still ne contacted. But as it is not in this film I am guessing it may not be as vital in the future as I hoped.

Luna was great. Funny cause I saw her in a interview and she always talks that same way. And she said "people say I am alot like Luna, but I don't think so" She really is! hehe

Unbridge and Bellatrix were great! I adore Helena Bohnam Carter! And the end was sad, Sirius' ending was just as in the book, chaos and then he is just gone.
How about his kiss with Cho? Not bad! Harry is getting cute and cuter and he is almost 18 now, wow, they have all grow up so much! I agree, Ron is so tall and getting very manly and not so awkward. And I hae a feeling Heromine is going to end up this way....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NCehxkzXi7Q

hehe

I hope Yates returns... he did a very good job, kind of reminded me of the first two directed by Chris Columbus. A little but more heart I think.

Oh sounds like a blast how the people were in your premiere. We went in the early morning, so it wasnt very packed at all. But I was grateful actually. :)

Nicole220

I've read the books as they've come out and I haven't had the opportunity to go back and reread them. So I often mix up what happened in each book. But wasn't the reason why Harry has to stay with the Dursleys revealed in the OotP? I thought that was an important part of the book.
My friend and I were talking about that on the way home. I agree that it's important. And yes it was revealed in the book.

**OotP spoilers**

From what I can remember (I read it a week ago and am already starting to forget stuff), a howler was sent to Mrs. Dursley saying something like 'remember your promise' or something along that line. Since she and Lily share the same blood, her presence keeps Harry safer than anything else. That's why he is stuck at the Dursley's every summer.

Again, I think it's along those lines. I'm probably not 100% correct.

PinMadness

My friend and I were talking about that on the way home. I agree that it's important. And yes it was revealed in the book.

**OotP spoilers**

From what I can remember (I read it a week ago and am already starting to forget stuff), a howler was sent to Mrs. Dursley saying something like 'remember your promise' or something along that line. Since she and Lily share the same blood, her presence keeps Harry safer than anything else. That's why he is stuck at the Dursley's every summer.

Again, I think it's along those lines. I'm probably not 100% correct.

Ah, yes. It is all coming back to me. That sounds about right!!!

Nicole220

Most disapponting to me was the fact that Sirius' mirror was no where in the movie. The one he gave to Harry and he had one too. I was hoping this would play more of a role in the 7th book as I am one of the pyscho HP fans that dares to believe that there is more beyond the veil and Sirius can still ne contacted. But as it is not in this film I am guessing it may not be as vital in the future as I hoped.

How about his kiss with Cho? Not bad! Harry is getting cute and cuter and he is almost 18 now, wow, they have all grow up so much! I agree, Ron is so tall and getting very manly and not so awkward. And I hae a feeling Heromine is going to end up this way....
I forgot about the mirror. I would think that it would be important and not thrown in there just because.

About the kiss, I love the scene after it with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. The theater was laughing non stop during that whole scene...too funny!
The three are growing up quite nicely. The boys are not half bad looking, and Emma is very pretty.

Peaches Magee

I forgot about the mirror. I would think that it would be important and not thrown in there just because.

About the kiss, I love the scene after it with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. The theater was laughing non stop during that whole scene...too funny!
The three are growing up quite nicely. The boys are not half bad looking, and Emma is very pretty.

Yes! Thank you, I really hop so and that they just introduce it back in somehow.
haaaa! Same here, we were laughing so hard in the scene after with the three of them. Seemed so natural and almost ad lib. especially how Ron was laughing through it all, loved that scene! hehe

Yes they are all getting pretty gorgeous, well being they are like 17-18 now they are past the awkward phase and getting very refined.
And oh how I miss Cedric.. he was ridiculously beautiful! Whew!

Yeah I was trying to remember if the howler to Petunia was in Book 5 or 6, I thought it was in Book 6 cause isnt Dumberdore there to pick up Harry and it comes and says something about how there is much more to Petunia that meets the eye or something? Oh I need to re-read or re-listen to the audio for book 6 before I start Book 7 next weekend.
But then again I know he explains in book 6 why he has to go back to the Durselys, because it is the love that his mother had for him that protects him and he has to go back since as much as he hates it, Aunt Petunia is bood family and he must have that for protection.

Man I need to re-read I got 5 & 6 all mangled together.. eh! hehe

CaptainMichael

This line from Luna at the end kind of caught my ear:

"Things you lose always turn up in the end but maybe not in the way you expect"

Adds some steam to Sirius being a part of Deathly Hallows.

I cried when Voldemort possessed Harry...powerful stuff.

Nicole220

That's the quote I've been thinking of! Thank you.

When I heard that, I immediately thought of Sirius. I believe it's a foreshadowing of somekind that has to do with him.

popsicletrees

That's the quote I've been thinking of! Thank you.

When I heard that, I immediately thought of Sirius. I believe it's a foreshadowing of somekind that has to do with him.

I really hope so. I may be the only one, but I thought book 5 was much sadder than book 6. I saw the film last night. From what I remember of the book, I think the film did a good job following it. I wish they had explained about Luna's father's occupation. That would have cleared up more about her strange personality. I know this isn't exactly on topic of the next book, but I'm hoping there was some foreshadowing in the film with regards to Sirius.

nibblesandbits

I actually thought of that too when I heard it. Good forshadowing, should it be forshadowing.

It's true...the 2 things that are most talked about in this book as possible clues into other books that were not included in the movie that made me curious are the mirror, as talked about in this thread already and the other thing was the locket. If you'll remember in the book, there is a locket that is found in the Black household that cannot be opened. If it is indeed the horcrux, I would have thought it would have been in this movie for some more forshadowing.

So on to the actual movie. I really liked it, but I definitely need to see it again before I can pass major judgement on it. I was basically watching figuring out...ok...what did they cut. The one thing I can say for this movie is that it went by REALLY fast. Usually in a 2 hour+ movie, I look at my watch at one point going...geez...how much longer. But with this movie, it was all non-stop action. No breaks that didn't have to do with the major plot at all. And even some things that did have to deal with the plot were shown in a very fast, brief manner. There was no B.S. Everything that was not important to the story was cut out 100%. It went by straight story line. No date with Cho, no Rita Skeeter interview, no locket, no extra fluff in the ministry, etc. I don't know if that hurt my feelings on it or if it made it better. I might have liked to see a little "extra" just to give me a break from the non-stop-ness of it.

I actually really wanted to see more of Bellatrix. I thought that her part was so tiny and she's such a great character. I agree with you all too...I think Dumbledore's talk with Harry at the end should have been longer. I also would have liked to see more of Snape and the Occlumancy thing. I think that that's a pretty interesting part that was basically glossed over in the movie. Oh...one thing I thought was very well done this time was the technology used for when Sirius talks to Harry via fire. I think that it looked one thousand times better than it did in the fourth movie.

In review...yes, I liked the movie, but think I need to see it again before I figure out just where it lies in the order of my favorites.

PinMadness

Or maybe it was foreshadowing the "return" of the Big D. :shrug: I know they had just finished talking about Sirius and the stuff with D hasn't happened in their world yet. But just a thought.

And the possession scene was very powerful. It sufficiently creeped me out.

imagineer boy

Just got back and I really liked it and it probably my favourite HP film. Like nibbs said, I may want to see it again to get a full opinion on it, but in the mean time, here's my review:

What worked:

Everything that made the previous Harry Potter films is still here and in full form. I thought Imelda Staunton's Umbridge performance was OUTSTANDING. Easily one of the best performances in all of the Harry Potter movies. The SFX also impressed me ( I also agree that the Sirius fire effect was much better than the one in GOF ), but addmittedly there weren't any effects that really blew me away, but I was still impressed. The sets were fantastic. Grimmauld Place was just as I imagined while the Ministry of Magic was better than I imagined and I loved the look of the Court room and department of mysteries building. The cinematography also seemed to have been stepped up and was also impressive. I also loved the music like I mentioned above.

What didn't work:

I agree with what everyone else said, the movie easily could've been longer. I think they still could've squeezed in Quidditch and most importantly, have more time with some of the other characters like Kreacher, Hagrid, Lupin, McGonnagal, and Trelawny who badly needed more screen time. Another minor nit pick was that I thought the film was a little too dark in tone. Now I don't mind my movies dark, but I thought that the last two movies had a fine transition between dark and lighthearted tones while this one was just flat out dark.

For the grade, I'm flirting between an A- or B+. I'll need to see it again to make a final decision. Overall, I really enjoyed it. Plus I saw it in IMAX 3-D which was very impressive.

CaptainMichael

My biggest gripe about the movie was the omission of Umbridge's inspection of McGonnagal and Career Advice...both very hilarious.

I am so glad Dumbledore called Voldemort "Tom"! I love that.

Peaches Magee

I actually thought of that too when I heard it. Good forshadowing, should it be forshadowing.

It's true...the 2 things that are most talked about in this book as possible clues into other books that were not included in the movie that made me curious are the mirror, as talked about in this thread already and the other thing was the locket. If you'll remember in the book, there is a locket that is found in the Black household that cannot be opened. If it is indeed the horcrux, I would have thought it would have been in this movie for some more forshadowing.

So on to the actual movie. I really liked it, but I definitely need to see it again before I can pass major judgement on it. I was basically watching figuring out...ok...what did they cut. The one thing I can say for this movie is that it went by REALLY fast. Usually in a 2 hour+ movie, I look at my watch at one point going...geez...how much longer. But with this movie, it was all non-stop action. No breaks that didn't have to do with the major plot at all. And even some things that did have to deal with the plot were shown in a very fast, brief manner. There was no B.S. Everything that was not important to the story was cut out 100%. It went by straight story line. No date with Cho, no Rita Skeeter interview, no locket, no extra fluff in the ministry, etc. I don't know if that hurt my feelings on it or if it made it better. I might have liked to see a little "extra" just to give me a break from the non-stop-ness of it.

I actually really wanted to see more of Bellatrix. I thought that her part was so tiny and she's such a great character. I agree with you all too...I think Dumbledore's talk with Harry at the end should have been longer. I also would have liked to see more of Snape and the Occlumancy thing. I think that that's a pretty interesting part that was basically glossed over in the movie. Oh...one thing I thought was very well done this time was the technology used for when Sirius talks to Harry via fire. I think that it looked one thousand times better than it did in the fourth movie.

In review...yes, I liked the movie, but think I need to see it again before I figure out just where it lies in the order of my favorites.

Very true th movie was nonstop, which is good and not, I need to see it again too, I was nit-picking what was cut and changed the whole time through also. I do wish more time was on some characters especially Snape.. I love to see him on screen. I feel in the last 2 movies all they show of him for is him hitting Ron in the head with a book. Alan Rickman is brilliant as Snape and just want to see him do more of it.

Sirius and the fire scene.. MUCH better... it is more like how it is described in the book, strange they would change it up though, but do like it better.
The Ministry and Grimmauld Place was just as I pictured and the Black Family Tree was very well done I thought.
Yeah the locket was intro-ed in this one, but can easily be shown in DD's pensieve classes with Harry in HBP.
I hope that is forshadowing by Luna... was a version of that actually in the book? I have to check that. I do SOOO love that they kept a version of one of my favorite quotes of the books....when DD disappears saying "You assume I will go quietly" and then Shacklebolt saying to Fudge "....but you cannot deny he's got style..."
I LOVE that line! Though it was the portrait of Phineas Nigellus that really said it. Still glad it was kept in there.

Oh and I loved the jab there when DD addressed him as Tom.
Very DD indeed.
And the possession scene... had me all teary as well. Especially with all teh cut scenes to when all of them were like babies in the first couple movies... done very well, and his eyes looked wicked!

Ok I gotta see it IMAX, I have decided. Next week for sure.

CaptainMichael

I wonder why Phineas' picture was burned off of the family tree.
Also, I happened to see that Sirius is related to the Bullstrodes (Millicent Bulstrode)....Pureblood=icky...everyone is related.

tinkerbell88

Original Poster
Hey did anyone miss in the movie in the department of mysteries the part about ron and the brain. That happened too and they didnt show it. And I think in the book hermoine broke her leg or something. Oh did anyone understand what was said in the prophecy of "neither can live while the other survives"? Does that mean Harry will survive in the end or they will both have to die. These are just thoughts of mine.

lilclerk

Plus I saw it in IMAX 3-D which was very impressive.

OH how I wish and hope and dream that our IMAX gets it!

Sirius and the fire scene.. MUCH better... it is more like how it is described in the book, strange they would change it up though, but do like it better.

I do agree that it looked better than GoF's. But from the book's description, I always imagined it as his head... just there in the fire. Not being a part of the fire. But I'll take what I can get, and it looked good.

popsicletrees

I agree with what everyone has said about the movie. It really did fly by! I'm just glad that I have read the book. If not, I would have been confused. So much was happening without a whole lot of explanation in the movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom