Four Parks: One Stale World?

krankenstein

I've heard that several times, but the economic downturn just started to affect Disney. If Disney would have committed to the parks like Universial Harry Potter did, the attraction would be well down the path of completion. I hold the best bet for us Disney fans is a successful Universal. Competition is best. We hear about the great decade of 84-94, wasn't the the time Univeral came into play? We also need a leader like Frank was. He like the Disney brothers died too soon and their plans fell into the wrong hands.

Universal announced HP at a different time. If I remember right, it became official before we even knew about TSMM. Most economist would have told you this economic downturn was coming back at the beginning of the year. Which was around the time we last had a major announcement (AIE). I think that is why we haven't heard anything new from Disney. They are taking a wait and see strategy.

As far as Frank, I couldn't agree more! I wish to this day that he was still around. Heck! I wish Katzenberg was still around too. I still wonder where the company would be if those two would have been around for the whole Eisner era.

yankspy

Why would I call you an idiot? I don't generally engage in namecalling.

As for having an open mind, well, I like to think I have one. But when I know I am right about something I will defend my beliefs quite forcefully. Sometimes people take that personally.

I don't know if I feel there's ever a good time to be wishy-washy. I think the reason we have so much mediocrity in the world and at the World is because people are so quick to just go with the wind direction of the moment.

This is an argument that is often used against those of us who do remember when WDW was a better place. It must be just our memories playing tricks. There used to be gum all over the pavement. Every shop sold the same Disney crap. The food was no better. The parks weren't open later. They always had empty stores and shuttered dining locales. CMs always weighed an average of 335 pounds. There never were any shade trees in the MK. You'd always find filthy queues with holes in the walls (like Buzz in the MK or the new TSMM at the Studios). The monorails never had working AC and you always had to take buses to get around. ... wait, I am depressing myself because we both know the above is a load of fetid BS.

The scary thing is when people start telling you that you aren't remembering things as they were ... even if you have photos or brochures or whatever to prove you aren't suffering from nostalgia.

The reality is the WDW of 2008 can't touch the WDW of 1978 or 1988. It can't.

Because it may be a bigger product, but it is a less special one. One much more about marketing might than making magic.

Would WDW run the old ________ Nunis way be financially successful in 2008? We'll never know so speculation is just wasted energy. But it would certainly make for a higher quality experience than what is being offered now.

Perhaps wishy-washy was a poor choice of words. I was thinking about Socrates and how he never answered questions, he always asked them. As far as mediocrity, I am sure we could speak for hours on that subject.:animwink:

I wonder if quality is important today. Quantity seems to be the popular thing. I prefer quality but it seems that many do not. There are numerous examples, Movies instead of books, buffets with massive amounts of so-so food instead of a smaller better quality dish, Massive amounts of gawdy Stitch merchandise as opposed to creative quality merchandise. Perhaps the problem is not entirely Disney's fault? It could be society, collectively.

SirGoofy

Animal Kingdom opened at the same time and has only received one major addition (Everest) in the same time period, and IoA was/still is a much more complete park.

I'm going to disagree with you on IOA being a much more complete park. I enjoy going there, but give me DAK any day.

But on your other post, where you mention PI closing has given a hit to CM morale, I can't agree with you more. Everyone one of my coworkers that I keep in touch with are incredibly bitter about it.

coasterphil

I have chosen a few statments to say none of you actually contributed to this thread one bit. It is upsetting to me how many times in these forums when a poster comes on here and is attacked for making a negative observation about WDW. Do you really think that enhances this site or it's reputation amoung the different Disney communities?

Uh, my post was not a response to the OP or anything negative someone said about WDW. Thanks for including me in a silly list of quotes though. :kiss:

nibblesandbits

Uh, my post was not a response to the OP or anything negative someone said about WDW. Thanks for including me in a silly list of quotes though. :kiss:
Apparently because you didn't "add" anything, it's been deemed your quote was silly and should be done away with...:lookaroun

Much like this one, I'm sure.

RSoxNo1

Here's a problem that Disney is facing. The economy is in a decline, and they have invested in rooms/DVC properties without investing into the parks. These are likely to remain unsold for longer than originally anticipated. Expansion of rooms was done too quickly. They were money makers, but they may get burnt on the rest of Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Contemporary.

Someone asked the original poster what he would do to the parks. He mentioned getting back to the core values that brought Disney to prominence. I agree, but I'll also add on, in similar general terms. There are weak areas in every park.

Magic Kingdom - Space Mountain needs TLC, there's a huge track of land on the 20k leagues site that should be used for an E-ticket (Little Mermaid seems likely). I would also like to see the old skyway buildings made into something useful, and the Indy Speedway should also be redone/replaced. I won't get into Stitch as that while open up a lot more negative talk.

Epcot - The Odyssey has been unused for anything noteworthy in years, same with Wonders of Life. Imagination is a shell of it's former self and World Showcase is in desperate need of an E-Ticket

DHS - I've heard talk of better themed lands, pixar place, sunset boulevard, an action land, and a blockbuster land (Although with Spielberg not signing on, the Spielberg/Lucas combo for a land probably isn't happening), and the animation courtyard. I feel that DHS is similar to DCA or a Universal park in that the theming isn't cohesive. Add in a renovated Star Tours and Great Movie Ride along with the rumored Monster's Inc Coaster and they'll be looking better.

Animal Kingdom - Replace Camp Minnie Mickey and Chester and Hester's. Make Nemo part of an Australia section. The attractions from TDS coming over to Camp Minnie Mickey would be a good choice as well. This would then move the Lion King to either Africa or Rafiki's Planet Watch.

krankenstein

No, I assure you it's not my problem. Maybe I was to hasty in assuming that a post that was misplaced in News and Rumors rather than in General is a petty, and trite statement to bring up. I apologize for that. How much more time do you suggest we give Disney to get their maintance, and cleanliness standards back to a level they had twenty years ago.

I wasn't referring to the cleanliness/maintenance issues. If you look at when my post was made and what the OP had provided at the time, it is plainly clear I was referring to the lack of any major announcements outside of BLT and the newest celebration (which I agree is pretty pathetic). :wave:

CaptainMichael

I'm going to disagree with you on IOA being a much more complete park. I enjoy going there, but give me DAK any day.

But on your other post, where you mention PI closing has given a hit to CM morale, I can't agree with you more. Everyone one of my coworkers that I keep in touch with are incredibly bitter about it.

And that all depends on what you enjoy. For thrill junkies, there are many things to do, and this takes alot of time. I can finish both parks fairly quickly. The theming at DAK is amazing, but given a choice, I'd rather spend my day at IoA. On my CP, I probably went to IoA more than DAK. I can appreciate the fact that IoA isn't for everyone.

I'm just seasonal, and the closing of PI has me in a funk all the way in Louisiana. I made many memories there, and working at Disney will never be the same without having the AC to go unwind in and laugh. I used to take solace in the fact that my fellow CM's were enjoying themselves at PI every Thursday even though I was here. May seem strange, but that's me:eek:

Cmdr_Crimson

Animal Kingdom - Replace Camp Minnie Mickey and Chester and Hester's. Make Nemo part of an Australia section. The attractions from TDS coming over to Camp Minnie Mickey would be a good choice as well. This would then move the Lion King to either Africa or Rafiki's Planet Watch.

Um....this would be hard since there's a 199ft tall yeti guarding mountain in the way...

CBOMB

I'm sorry but what does DVC stand for?
Also, what people tend to forget is that Disney World has a lot more to pay for than most other parks. including even Disneyland. Having four separate parks, dozens of hotel resorts, a downtown area, and hundreds of employees for each one tends to put the price tag kinda high. Places like Universal are only half that and thus don't have as much to pay for. Same deal with Disneyland. Not as big, not as complex, and doesn't have as much to pay for. this is why Disney World doesn't see the same amount of TLC as Disneyland or even Universal at times
DVC, Disney Vacation Club. Yes there is more to maintain so the price tag will be higher. Also the revenues gained from these parks is much higher than lesser parks. Wouldn't you agree that more revenue should be reciprocated with a higher quality of entertainment, and at least live up to it's complete offerings including maintainence, and cleanliness that the Parks had 20 years ago.

SirGoofy

And that all depends on what you enjoy. For thrill junkies, there are many things to do, and this takes alot of time. I can finish both parks fairly quickly. The theming at DAK is amazing, but given a choice, I'd rather spend my day at IoA. On my CP, I probably went to IoA more than DAK. I can appreciate the fact that IoA isn't for everyone.

I'm just seasonal, and the closing of PI has me in a funk all the way in Louisiana. I made many memories there, and working at Disney will never be the same without having the AC to go unwind in and laugh. I used to take solace in the fact that my fellow CM's were enjoying themselves at PI every Thursday even though I was here. May seem strange, but that's me:eek:

Oh, don't get me wrong I love IOA. I went there a bunch on my CP, too.:lol:

And I know exactly how you feel about the AC. I'm seasonal and I cried watching the videos from the last night. I won't lie. I had so many memories from that place, and it hurts knowing I'll never be back there.

raven

...and the newest celebration (which I agree is pretty pathetic). :wave:

Well look at it this way. What other theme park is going to let people from all over the world get in free on their birthday? I think it's brilliant because Disney knows that people aren't going to fly down for just 1 day or that they will come alone. My only fear is that this next year will be more crowded than previous years. :(

CaptainMichael

Oh, don't get me wrong I love IOA. I went there a bunch on my CP, too.:lol:

And I know exactly how you feel about the AC. I'm seasonal and I cried watching the videos from the last night. I won't lie. I had so many memories from that place, and it hurts knowing I'll never be back there.

I had never been to Universal before, and it exceeded my expectations.

Originally, I had vowed never to return to DTD after they closed it, but I plan on going back every trip, conducting a new member induction ceremony where it used to be, giving a club salute, and then leave...most likely with a bittersweet smile and a tear in my eye.

celticdog

Why does WDW have to have a celebration every year? Why can't there just a regular year? I really don't recall too many annual celebrations prior to the Millineum Celebration, save for the 25th of MK.

The past few celebrations all blend together and none stands out. The Millineum Celebration was awesome, 100 Years of Magic was pretty good, but the rest since then have been non-descript.

Do we really need a special celebration to go to WDW?

CBOMB

[
I apologize I must have accidently have hit the multiple post on your post. My sincerest appologys your quote did not belong on my silly little list of quotes.

SirGoofy

To Disneyson, no, but as much as I want to believe all our insiders, I'm waiting for official conformation.

I had never been to Universal before, and it exceeded my expectations.

Originally, I had vowed never to return to DTD after they closed it, but I plan on going back every trip, conducting a new member induction ceremony where it used to be, giving a club salute, and then leave...most likely with a bittersweet smile and a tear in my eye.

Ah see I had been to Universal before, and I was at IOA when it first opened. In my opinion they've really neglected the parks, and they were in worse shape than the flaws I found at Disney, but that's just me.

I want to run by the Cloob if I can when I'm down in January also, and at least get a pic.

yankspy

I simply said this has nothing to do with either News or rumors. It should have been posted in the General Discussion section of the board.

The rest of my post did contribute to the discussion. I did say that we need to give Disney time. We are in a time of economic uncertainty. It doesn't make sense for them to make major announcements right now. If I was in charge of the company I would be holding my cards close. That is what I think they are doing. I'm sorry if you did not understand what my post meant, but that is your own problem.
I have to respectfully disagree here. During the Depression, many captains of industry made bold moves in order to survive. Milton Hershey made huge additions to his park during the depression. Rockefeller center was built during the depression. It is always the ones who go knock-kneed when faced with adversity who do not survive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom