Four Parks: One Stale World?

CaptainMichael

I don't understand why Disney execs pour billions of dollars in improving/expanding Disneyland (2 parks), but leave WDW (4 parks, 2 water parks, 20+ hotels, multiple golf courses) out to dry. It's disappointing and it will hurt WDW very soon.

Because Disneyland was neglected for so long. Disney needs to learn from its own mistakes and stop the cycle of neglect. Constant attention needs to be paid attention to the parks to stay on top of things.

EPCOT Explorer

Has nobody noticed this blatant hint? :confused:
:lol:
You can all me overly optimistic, or a fanboy, but I think things are on the upswing. Even with too much DVC being built and all of the problems, I've enjoyed the past few rehabs and new attractions.

They've taken experiences that no one went to and tried to spruce them up and get people to experience them again.

Not everything is every perfect, but there is mismanagement going on. Keep in mind that much of the cash flow going toward the parks is affected by the entire resort upkeep, including all of the new eateries, renovated rooms, and new construction people always seem so excited about. New buses, new monorails, keeping the gardens growing and keeping cast members employed.

Can it get stale for the frequent visitor? Sure it can. For me, it may not be as exciting as it was in the 'Golden Age'. But this age is not as bad as people make it out to be. If it is, it may be time to take some time away from the parks.
I take those as compliments.
;)
And I agree with you. It's obvious that things are beginning to change.:cool:

DisneyNut2007

Won't somebody please ban the all-too-ever-so-negative WDW1974 from this forum? He's not welcome here, IMO. :mad:

Actually, he's not welcome at ANY Disney forum, due to his annoying and often discriminatory elitist attitude. And it's obvious that he's waaaaaaaay too anti-Disney for his own good.

Also, WDW1974, if you hate WDW so much, STOP GOING THERE!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Where are the "voices of reason" like Enderikari and Wannab@dis when you need them?! :(

kcnole

While I think WDW1974 is a bit overly critical, I understand his reasoning. If you remember how the old guard used to run the place you'll understand. Used to be that WDW bragged about the fact that you would never see a lightbulb burned out anywhere on Main Street, and you didn't. In fact to make sure you didn't, Disney replaced the bulbs at somewhere around 60% of their lifespan.

Walt always had an idea about how you build rides. His idea was that you don't build kiddie rides. You build rides that the whole family can enjoy together. That means that mom and dad are enjoying the attraction not because their kids are, but because its actually a fun attraction for all. He believed you didn't have to dumb rides down for the kids to get them, that if you placed the bar out there higher that kids would reach for them, and they did.

I remember first visiting EPCOT Center years ago. I was a kid and I was mesmerized by the place. There wasn't a thing that was "kiddie" in the park, but I was inspired. I was always a bit of a futurist as a kid, maybe I was different, but I loved learning about all the ways that we as humans could change the world for the better. I loved Horizons and seeing what we could do to grow gardens in the desert, I loved diving to the depths of the ocean and imagining living on the ocean floor. It was great. Today however we have to have cartoon characters everywhere or the kids just want get it. That's a load of crap. We just don't expect our kids to reach, so they don't. Build great rides like the old ride where you entered a microscope that DL used to have and kids will enjoy it because it allows their imagination to run free.

Is Disney poor now? No, I still have a great time when I go, but it is sad at the same time because we can see that the direction the park is taking now is so much more generic and completely misses the bell on what sets a Disney park apart from other parks. We're focusing on thrill and focusing on cartoons, and we let the finance people get their hands way too deep in the pie. What its given us is a generic mess. Sure, the great old rides and theming built so long ago are still there, but its not the direction of the future.

I do have hope though. I don't think the imagineers have lost their creativity, look no further than Tokyo Disney Sea to see that. We just need people who aren't afraid to spend the money on a better guest experience. Too often they first look to see how to maximize profits and then shoehorn a ride into the space. What we need are executives who do like Walt used to do and tell the shareholders where they can put their complaints because his job is to develop a quality park and to make enormous profits second.

FInally I say this. If you invest the money to actually make your product a return visit worthy. You'll make more money. If you just dumb yourself down to the lowest common denominator and hope to just keep getting by on your name alone, you'll die a very slow and sad death.

jt04

While I think WDW1974 is a bit overly critical, I understand his reasoning. If you remember how the old guard used to run the place you'll understand. Used to be that WDW bragged about the fact that you would never see a lightbulb burned out anywhere on Main Street, and you didn't. In fact to make sure you didn't, Disney replaced the bulbs at somewhere around 60% of their lifespan.

Walt always had an idea about how you build rides. His idea was that you don't build kiddie rides. You build rides that the whole family can enjoy together. That means that mom and dad are enjoying the attraction not because their kids are, but because its actually a fun attraction for all. He believed you didn't have to dumb rides down for the kids to get them, that if you placed the bar out there higher that kids would reach for them, and they did.

I remember first visiting EPCOT Center years ago. I was a kid and I was mesmerized by the place. There wasn't a thing that was "kiddie" in the park, but I was inspired. I was always a bit of a futurist as a kid, maybe I was different, but I loved learning about all the ways that we as humans could change the world for the better. I loved Horizons and seeing what we could do to grow gardens in the desert, I loved diving to the depths of the ocean and imagining living on the ocean floor. It was great. Today however we have to have cartoon characters everywhere or the kids just want get it. That's a load of crap. We just don't expect our kids to reach, so they don't. Build great rides like the old ride where you entered a microscope that DL used to have and kids will enjoy it because it allows their imagination to run free.

Is Disney poor now? No, I still have a great time when I go, but it is sad at the same time because we can see that the direction the park is taking now is so much more generic and completely misses the bell on what sets a Disney park apart from other parks. We're focusing on thrill and focusing on cartoons, and we let the finance people get their hands way too deep in the pie. What its given us is a generic mess. Sure, the great old rides and theming built so long ago are still there, but its not the direction of the future.

I do have hope though. I don't think the imagineers have lost their creativity, look no further than Tokyo Disney Sea to see that. We just need people who aren't afraid to spend the money on a better guest experience. Too often they first look to see how to maximize profits and then shoehorn a ride into the space. What we need are executives who do like Walt used to do and tell the shareholders where they can put their complaints because his job is to develop a quality park and to make enormous profits second.

FInally I say this. If you invest the money to actually make your product a return visit worthy. You'll make more money. If you just dumb yourself down to the lowest common denominator and hope to just keep getting by on your name alone, you'll die a very slow and sad death.

I agree that there is a dumbing down or declining by degrees as some would say. It will start showing up in the bottom line and it will not be just because of a recession we may not come out of in the next 4 years if you believe the polls. It will be because of things like the CBJ rehab that is once again evidence of management not learning from past mistakes (SSE opening too soon, JII). Shame really, quite a shame. :brick:

mpaul32001

SeaWorld and Bush Gardens is been sold to another company after the merger of Bush with that other beer company from Germany.

Why do we have to bring Bush into this? lol. :p

_george-bush-flag.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

haveyoumetmark

It really is disheartening to see Disney going for the quick and cheap alternatives, instead of looking at the future. Much like today's society... FAST! CHEAP! NOW!

jt04

It really is disheartening to see Disney going for the quick and cheap alternatives, instead of looking at the future. Much like today's society... FAST! CHEAP! NOW!

Don't worry, it's about to get "Slow! Expensive! and Next Week!" then people will complain about that :cry: :rolleyes:

DisneyMusician2

Don't worry, it's about to get "Slow! Expensive! and Next Week!" then people will complain about that :cry: :rolleyes:

Now THAT is the truth.

I've already heard complaints about pushed back projects. Perhaps this is a good thing rather than a bad. They can't do it right, so they aren't doing it.:)

WDWFigment

Won't somebody please ban the all-too-ever-so-negative WDW1974 from this forum? He's not welcome here, IMO. :mad:

Actually, he's not welcome at ANY Disney forum, due to his annoying and often discriminatory elitist attitude. And it's obvious that he's waaaaaaaay too anti-Disney for his own good.

Also, WDW1974, if you hate WDW so much, STOP GOING THERE!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Where are the "voices of reason" like Enderikari and Wannab@dis when you need them?! :(

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. I really hope so, as you're calling the two most notable "Disney is infallible" folks as the "voices of reason". If you're serious, come on--have you actually read the thread? I would estimate that at least 50% of the posters here have agreed with WDW1974 to some extent. You may not like the opinions he presents, but some here do. Given that, I can hardly see how he's not welcome here.

Computer Magic

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. I really hope so, as you're calling the two most notable "Disney is infallible" folks as the "voices of reason". If you're serious, come on--have you actually read the thread? I would estimate that at least 50% of the posters here have agreed with WDW1974 to some extent. You may not like the opinions he presents, but some here do. Given that, I can hardly see how he's not welcome here.
agreed, WDW1974 is very welcome.

burninup4nick

I'm going to take the logical approach.

Let's look at the companies you are comparing them to in the Florida area: Sea World, Universal and Busch.

Sea World - an ocean adventure park run by a beer company.

Busch Gardens - a theme park ran by a beer company.

Universal & Islands of Adventure - 2 theme parks ran by a movie corp.

Walt Disney World - 4 parks run by a global empire that includes movie studios, television studios, book companies, sports teams, stores, global theme parks, cruise ships, internet corporations. (Touchstone Pictures, Miramax Films, Hollywood Records, Hyperion Books, ABC television networks, ESPN, Jetix, SOAPNet, GO.com, the Baby Einstein company, Muppets Studio, etc).

While I can understand someone wondering why nothing new is added to the parks, look at everything that Disney is doing elsewhere. That takes a lot of planning, time and money. The other parks don't have to compete with this.

I agree with you COMPLETELY!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom