EPCOT - 25 Years of photographic memories thread!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I want to say it happened when they changed the show in the Magic Eye theater - possibly as early as Captain EO.

I think the architecture of the space frame for the awning is meant to match the current sculpture.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
EPCOTCenterBag.jpg
i think this picture just flooded my memory of.... well, memories. holy cow.

see below

The original Imagination sculpture was brillant - who had the dumb idea to remove it?
not sure, but i think that "design" sure has come full circle in the last 25 years and is starting to repeat itself (with additions to technology and building) this sculpture looks like the olympics building call the "birdnest". anyone know what im talking about. let me see if i can find a photo.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Also, this goes with the Epcot trend of sculptures-in-fountains not being long for this world :(

How many have they torn out now?

Entrance plaza, Land, Imagination, and even the signage style UoE. Even the mini-SSE sphere near the central plaa fountain got ripped out, and it wasn't even in the fountain!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Also - if i recall properly, that glass in the fountain (the panels) should be dichroic glass, so in the right light it should given a rainbow effect as the various waves are filtered.

brkgnews

not sure, but i think that "design" sure has come full circle in the last 25 years and is starting to repeat itself (with additions to technology and building) this sculpture looks like the olympics building call the "birdnest". anyone know what im talking about. let me see if i can find a photo.

Actually looks like a cross between the olympic stadium ( birdsnest - http://www.bjghw.gov.cn/forNationalStadium/b11/xiaoguo/302.jpg ) and the olympics aquatics venue (watercube - http://centripetalnotion.com/2006/12/11/23:28:40/ )

EpcotServo

Where the heck IS this? It looks like this is near the jumping fountains, but the imagination building is in the wrong place! This picture is all wrong, and I need to know EXACTLY where was taken. Because I'm seeing THREE diffrent photo angles, and none of them can be taken in the same shot to look like that. I think this photo has been messed with.

jeffb

Where the heck IS this? It looks like this is near the jumping fountains, but the imagination building is in the wrong place! This picture is all wrong, and I need to know EXACTLY where was taken. Because I'm seeing THREE diffrent photo angles, and none of them can be taken in the same shot to look like that. I think this photo has been messed with.

Possibly scanned incorrectly (inverse), but even the opposite didn't look right to me. If you are implying that it is multiple shots put together or buildings are moved around - that is absolutely not the case.

SirNim

Now that you mention it... I see some visual flaws as well... "Clone Stamp" a bit in the water...by the photographer to the right.

brkgnews

There's been some digital work, for sure... obvious clone stamp on the concrete wall just to the left of the photog's crotch, photog looks out of scale, and I don't think there's any way for the pyramids to be that deep of a blue with the sky that lightly colored. Also photog is too dark for a day that bright. The mono track is cut off hard and intersects with a half a palm tree, too. little spurts of water to the left of the photog's hands are obvious clone stamps too (note the "round bush behind each of them). Neat photo, but it's been finger-of-God'ed to death. Note to editor -- use the soft-edged clone stamp, not the hard-edged one.

brkgnews

Judging on the view of the pyramids, here's where it looks like the fountain *would* be in this photo...
here

EDIT: Jeff, I'm not accusing you of anything personally -- I just think wherever this originally came from may have fiddled with it.

SECOND EDIT: One very remote possibility would be one of those dual-prism type lenses that makes one item focus in much "nearer" than another (remember what they used in Darby o'Gill and the Little People?) That COULD make the fountain larger and and buidling smaller in *roughly* the same position... but that's a huuuuuuge longshot, and still doesn't explain the photoshopping.

EpcotServo

Judging on the view of the pyramids, here's where it looks like the fountain *would* be in this photo...
here

EDIT: Jeff, I'm not accusing you of anything personally -- I just think wherever this originally came from may have fiddled with it.

SECOND EDIT: One very remote possibility would be one of those dual-prism type lenses that makes one item focus in much "nearer" than another (remember what they used in Darby o'Gill and the Little People?) That COULD make the fountain larger and and buidling smaller in *roughly* the same position... but that's a huuuuuuge longshot, and still doesn't explain the photoshopping.

Good guess, but that's impossible because you would see the magic eye theatre back there, and I'm pretty sure it was always like that. I've NEVER seen anything other than flowers and gardens there. Here's my problems.

The lagoon/main fountain feature is the one at the top plaza by the jumping fountains because you can see the reverse waterfall. So if this picture wasn't messed with, we'd be looking towards Spaceship Earth and the monorail track, with the corner of the Imagination pavilon on the side. That's not what we're seeing in the picture. Instead we see that view but with a monorail track and palm trees that might be from anywhere on the left, and a strange mix of Imagination building pictures on the right. I'm sorry, but unless I see some kind of strange new place that's LONG gone and defies all logic of a place I know like the back of my hand, this photo has been tampered with.

JasonP

Does anyone have a picture of the little city at the end of WoM? I have searched the net over and over and I can't seem to find anything at all. Thanks!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Attachments

• finale scale model.jpg
    finale scale model.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Centercore rendering composite small.jpg
    Centercore rendering composite small.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 101

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Nice fountain photo, nontheless. Tweaked? Yes. Timeless? Yes.

The only way to get the pyramids in the background would be to shoot from the east looking west:

Attachments

• JII fountains dusk CUsmall.jpg
    JII fountains dusk CUsmall.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 97

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Otherwise you`d only have the Magic Eye Theatre in the background (remember these triangular plastic shapes inset in the sculpture tubeing too?):

Attachments

• Sculpture triangles small.jpg
    Sculpture triangles small.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 99

EpcotServo

Nice fountain photo, nontheless. Tweaked? Yes. Timeless? Yes.

The only way to get the pyramids in the background would be to shoot from the east looking west:
that's really interesting...what year did they change it? (And what gives that bubbley-look? Plastic?)

jeffb

After looking at Martin's photo - my photo is clearly scanned in reverse. I am going to flip it which will modify the original post of it. The only real editing is my obvious lazy / sloppy cloning out another person next to the photographer and some rough clean up of pretty large slide defects (hard monorail track edit) all which you can clearly see plus some help to bring out some of the details from the shadows which have not aged very well after 24 years. The perspective is as it was back in 1983.

EPCOTServo - grab a copy of Walt Disney World Kingdom Editions page 96 this is indeed what it looked like.

BRKG - no worries, there are adjustments as you indicated because the slides have not aged very well after 24 years.

BSikor

Looking at some early pictures of the Fountain of Nations, I have to say the stage really changes the look of the fountain and it is not for the better.

Does anyone remember the time when the fountain was covered completely with a stage when they had the Epcot circus?

I was on the stage in the audience for the taping of the Disney Circus of the Stars AND I'm quite visible close up (as I looked so adorable at that age) more than once as the Russian bears were performing [DIGGING THROUGH BOXES LOOKING FOR THE VIDEO]

It was terrible that the fountain was covered. I cant remember how long it lasted. I just remember they erected a tightrope from the Communicore to the center of Spaceship Earth and also erected a giant double "wheel of death" on the roof of Communicore West.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom