EPCOT - 25 Years of photographic memories thread!

TinkerBell9988

See, with me, the Wonders of Life Pavillion always left me cold. This is probably because there was not a lot in there that really interested me.

It tooks years before i brought myself to ride "Body Wars" but of course once i DID, i loved it. "Cranium Command" was wonderful fun...the best attraction in there...but it felt very dated due to the use of 90's celebrities. Disney does best when they DON'T use these tactics in rides/films i think. I mean...look at UoE now ( film wise...the Diorama will always rock!).

I totally respect the Pavillion from a fan perspective, as i know many enjoyed it a LOT...but i never had a personal attachment to it or any of the attractions.

JII or World of Motion on the other hand.....LOL.....

I feel exactly the same way... haha. Especially with JII and WoM. And I barely remember either of them, especially WoM. I was 8 when it closed.

I never realized that the stage wasn't always in front of the FoN. It actually blocks the fountain if you are looking at Future World from the South towards the North. Oh well. That clutter has just got to go. Like right now. :lol: ;)

jeffb

An EPCOT Center Future World Map as displayed in the park in Jan 1983. Note that Horizons still has an October 1983 opening date on the map and that the Living Seas Pavilion is listed for the future.
1645616241_472e5ed868_b.jpg

A larger picture of the map can be found here:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2054/1645616241_5ac547c346_o.jpg

jeffb

I hear ya Chris...

I REALLY like the Pavillion building itself...it has a unique atmosphere like all the best EPCOT Pavillions do/did. It is a shame that they will be demolishing it next year. Such a pity as it could have been gutted and new attractions and a new re-theming would have been a plus to the area i think. Just leveling the place is sad. Hopefully it won't be as depressing as the great tragety on-stage the Horizons building became...:cry:

"Body Wars" was cool.....but i also preferred Star Tours. It was not nessesarily the familar characters, it was more the onboard lighting effects and AA pilot.

My two cents on WOL is that I liked the Pavillion because it offered a number of experiences, from BW and CC to the hands on displays (particularly the cycling through the Magic Kingdom). However, I throught the Pavillion exterior design didn't really fit in with the other 6 FW pavillions and I particularly didn't care for the country fair interior which did not seem futuristic to me at all (actually seemed gaudy).

I have no inside knowledge but I would be really surprised if the building was leveled considering how it gets used for numerous private functions each year (which is nice revenue for the park) and the F&W festival, unless there is some kind of structure issues or their is a new sponsor for a new attraction.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
...unless there is some kind of structure issues or their is a new sponsor for a new attraction.

I've heard exactly that, can't remember who it was that said there was a lot of mold and other defects in between each joint of the dome and they couldn't repair it very easily.

jeffb

A very crowded Land Pavilion in 1983.

1812570164_648b81a7de_b.jpg

A very crowded Land Pavilion back in 1983. Note the pavilion logo to the left center, the Harvest Theater which was showing Symbiosis at the time, the Farmer's Market and the fountain.

Epcotfan21

Someone help me out...What used to be in the location where the Lion King presentation currently sits inside The Land? I can't remember for the life of me.

jeffb

1737052875_db1f5e67b6_b.jpg

The EPCOT Center Dedication Plaque in 1983. However it is not on the flag-pool outside the park since the flag-pool was originally near the Fountain of Nations. But I am not sure where this was originally located, does anyone recall?

SirNim

The EPCOT Center Dedication Plaque in 1983. However it is not on the flag-pool outside the park since the flag-pool was originally near the Fountain of Nations. But I am not sure where this was originally located, does anyone recall?
Wow, a quality retro photo!

The original flag pole/dedication plaque was on the spot just south of the Fountain of Nations where the Epcot logo is currently embedded into the pavement. When they ripped out the flag pole and its planter, they put the logo flat on the ground in its place, when CommuniCore became Innoventions around '94.

jeffb

Very interesting - so it was inside the park and next to the flag pole. SirNim - do you know when was the stage was added to the Fountain of Nations?

Wow, a quality retro photo!

The original flag pole/dedication plaque was on the spot just south of the Fountain of Nations where the Epcot logo is currently embedded into the pavement. When they ripped out the flag pole and its planter, they put the logo flat on the ground in its place, when CommuniCore became Innoventions around '94.

brkgnews

Now doesn't that lucite-ish prism-thingy look much more "futuristic" than the big ol hunk of granite that the current (fake) plaque is on? :lookaroun

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Very interesting - so it was inside the park and next to the flag pole. SirNim - do you know when was the stage was added to the Fountain of Nations?
If I may, so far as I know, the stage was added for Splashtacular in late '93/early `94.

jeffb

If I may, so far as I know, the stage was added for Splashtacular in late '93/early `94.

Looking at some early pictures of the Fountain of Nations, I have to say the stage really changes the look of the fountain and it is not for the better.

jessfriends

These are taken from my album. First picture I think is from 1994 but could be from my 1988 trip. The next 2 are from 1994. Look for the pink Barbie limo in the background! (third pic)
The last 2 are from 1998. Take note of Horizions on the left side of the last pic!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom