EPCOT - 25 Years of photographic memories thread!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Well it's only a couple of weeks to go now before the Big Day down at EPCOT. Yep, the Big "25" is coming up quickly, and i know i am not alone in saying that the anticipation of the upcoming festivities has many a Park Fan bouncing off the walls in excitement.

So......i thought it would be fun to start a "25 years of EPCOT" Photo Thread to keep us all entertained while we sit out this next couple of weeks counting down the days to October 1st.

Here is a place where i invite everyone to post their neat photos of anything and everything realted to EPCOT from "back in the day.." I'm talking about your OLD pix.....of past attractions (WoM? Horizons? JII?) and anything related. As long as it's Retro....it's cool!

This will be interesting.....as i am sure there are a lot of folks who have truckloads of "old EPCOT" images they would be more the happy to share.

Who would like to start things off?

tigsmom

From my first trip to Epcot in 1992...

EPCOT15.jpg

brkgnews

Might as well start digging them out -- after all.. you'll need them anyway when we start soliciting retro photos for THE BOOK. :lookaroun

Figment82

Here's one from my first trip back in 1987 - let me preface this by saying that I was absolutely TERRIFIED of the characters, but my parents kept making me pose with them. My parents always had to be with me in the photos, and I always was on the opposite side from the characters, usually with a face that was full of fear (thank goodness I had my blanket!).

So may I present, Rainbow Brite Chip!

1374630653_61a5f3f3a1.jpg

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Sweet!

I have this guidemap....it is very cool! I am actually considering bringing it to EPCOT for the Big Event...just for giggles.

There were a couple of versions of this original guidemap ( more like a fold out "book" really..). I have what i beleive is the first version, which when folded open has not only the info wheel, but a couple of paper pages displaying the various Pavillions. It is so early, there are NO photos of any of the Pavillion attractions...just concept art! Love it...

If anyone here is interested in seeing this, let me know and i can scan the pages. I am not able to post photos here but if someone would be willing to do it for me, i can e-mail the pix right to your Inbox!

The other version of this early guidemap came out a year later, and it did not have any paper pages inside that i rememeber, but it did still have the info wheel. The newer version of the wheel had a starfield cover, while the original first version did not.

Figments Friend

Original Poster

Awwww.......how sweet!

Yeah, check out Chip! I never knew that the Chipmunks also recieved the
"Futuristic Space Suit" makeover. I have seen Mickey, Minnie, Donald, and Pluto in their "Rainbow Brite" costumes....but never knew the 'Munks had them too!

Very cool!

SDav10495

Ha! These are great pictures. Perhaps I have a few of my own somewhere...

BTW, it didn't feel appropriate to start a whole new thread for it (though maybe someone else will) but it feels OK in this thread...EPCOT Central is back! :D Check it out.

Jekyll_Baker

Sweet!

I have this guidemap....it is very cool! I am actually considering bringing it to EPCOT for the Big Event...just for giggles.

There were a couple of versions of this original guidemap ( more like a fold out "book" really..). I have what i beleive is the first version, which when folded open has not only the info wheel, but a couple of paper pages displaying the various Pavillions. It is so early, there are NO photos of any of the Pavillion attractions...just concept art! Love it...

If anyone here is interested in seeing this, let me know and i can scan the pages. I am not able to post photos here but if someone would be willing to do it for me, i can e-mail the pix right to your Inbox!

The other version of this early guidemap came out a year later, and it did not have any paper pages inside that i rememeber, but it did still have the info wheel. The newer version of the wheel had a starfield cover, while the original first version did not.

Jenn, the version I have also has almost no photos in it (the only one is of Dreamfinder on his flying contraption). The only dates I can find in it is the copyright 1982, and the mention of two of the attractions in Communicore opening in December 1982. (Electronic Forum and Sunrise Terrace Restaurant).

And actually I have the whole booklet scanned into an almost 5MB PDF file (but with the wheel in only one position), as well as a few other brochures from around the same time - like the regular 1983 4"x9" guide book and a couple of 1983 flyers from World of Motion. (each is in its own PDF file). Be glad to email it to you if you want to compare.

TheBeatles

Jenn, the version I have also has almost no photos in it (the only one is of Dreamfinder on his flying contraption). The only dates I can find in it is the copyright 1982, and the mention of two of the attractions in Communicore opening in December 1982. (Electronic Forum and Sunrise Terrace Restaurant).

And actually I have the whole booklet scanned into an almost 5MB PDF file (but with the wheel in only one position), as well as a few other brochures from around the same time - like the regular 1983 4"x9" guide book and a couple of 1983 flyers from World of Motion. (each is in its own PDF file). Be glad to email it to you if you want to compare.

Could I please see this too?

PeoplemoverTTA

Here's some Epcot character photos with my brother, sister, and I from July 1986:
spchipdale.jpg

spacepluto.jpg

This one has my mom in it, too:
oldspmick.jpg

Here's my family in front of the fountain from the same trip:
Fountain.jpg

Here's a guide map from April 1996, when my high school band played at Epcot (we were on Monday, at the Showcase Plaza). I remember that day I was so excited we were in the guidemap, I grabbed a map every place I saw one. Now, more than 10 years later, I discovered them in my parents' basement, and I'm so glad I have them!

Cover:
EpcotMapBandTrip96.jpg

Inside (showing my high school):
map.jpg

Lastly, here's me on the same band trip with "Colonial" Goofy, by the American Adventure (right after we performed and changed out of our band costumes - go easy on me! I was 15 and in my "awkward" stage :eek:):
17_4.jpg

I have so many more that aren't scanned...I need to get to that soon. I'm looking forward to more pics from the 80s...I wish I had been old enough to really appreciate going there in the early years!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom