Disney to buy Marvel Entertainment

Skip

I think its a good move too, just not in the way that many are praying for on here, nor do I see it as the end of the Universal as we know it. But then I use both parks, and try to use the logic processing side of my brain. :drevil:

Just dont get the optimism that Disney is going to do wonderful things given their current track record. :shrug: Obviously I need to sniff more pixie dust.

Exactly. We keep fantasizing about all these wonderful E-Tickets... which I can guarentee will not happen, at least not for many, many years. The current budget is going to Fantasyland, and after that, who knows how long it'll be before the TDO decides that we need something new. Again, a Marvel Meet and Greet is probably the best we're going to get for the foreseeable future.

I look forward to riding Spider-Man, Hulk, and Doctor Doom on my next trip to Universal. And the trip after that. And the trip after that.

SirGoofy

I honestly have no faith that Disney will do right by these characters in the US parks.

I would if it was an Anaheim park.:wave:
I think its a good move too, just not in the way that many are praying for on here, nor do I see it as the end of the Universal as we know it. But then I use both parks, and try to use the logic processing side of my brain. :drevil:

I frequent both as well. I've had a Uni Season Pass for as long as I've been a CM.

Just dont get the optimism that Disney is going to do wonderful things given their current track record. :shrug: Obviously I need to sniff more pixie dust.

As slow as it is, I think Lasseter is changing the mindset. Things are progressing slowly, but they are progressing.

CastleBound

I'm just getting in now and surprised by the news!! Don't yell that I havent read all 28 pages. I think this is great! It seems like it could be a huge move for them. I have read elsewhere that people are afraid the superheroes will turn to superwhimps, but I don't think so. I don't believe Disney will be interfering with an already established property.

As for the parks, my take and hope would be that they don't show up in the parks too much. I definitely don't want to see them in MK, Epcot or AK. DHS may be ok as long as its not a take-over. I think the idea of another park could be cool. It could be themed very well too, better than IOA. Now I'm not sure when the contracts are up for IOA, but honestly I don't think it would be a huge blow to them. Yea it would be a huge pain for them to change over all their rides and themes for the superhero section, but it can be done. To me, I don't feel like their selling point is superheroes.

I guess we will see where it takes Disney. Hopefully some good progress in the future!

SirGoofy

Exactly. We keep fantasizing about all these wonderful E-Tickets... which I can guarentee will not happen, at least not for many, many years. The current budget is going to Fantasyland, and after that, who knows how long it'll be before the TDO decides that we need something new. Again, a Marvel Meet and Greet is probably the best we're going to get for the foreseeable future.

They went over the head of TDO to get Fantasyland done. Who says the same thing won't happen again?:shrug:

vonpluto

Not me. Two of the things I absolutely love have come together.

Marvel's characters, and Disney.

Ducky, just ducky.

Ducks2.jpg

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
They went over the head of TDO to get Fantasyland done. Who says the same thing won't happen again?:shrug:

And I wouldnt complain, though you would have to qusetion why some folk are still in a job. As for improvements, only 81 days and I can judge for myself. :animwink:

I want more of everything at both parks, and hell even Sea World has gotten better.

WDWmazprty

I thought this article was interesting:

Don't get your Spandex in a wad: The Disney-Marvel merger is going to be OK

Posted by [URL="http://blog.al.com/nightlife/about.html"]Matt Cuthbert, al.com[/URL] August 31, 2009 9:18 AM

Categories: Movies
medium_spider-man-hannah-montana.jpg
Sony Pictures / APDon't worry, Spidey... Hannah Montana isn't going to cause you any trouble.
This morning, the Walt Disney Company announced that it will acquire Marvel Enterainment in a $4 billion buyout. Having long been a fan of both companies, I find this news to be quite exciting. But I'm amazed at how short-sighted people are being in their fears of what this will mean for Marvel characters like Spider-Man, the Hulk, and the X-Men.
Disney isn't going to destroy Marvel. They're not going to make the movies more tame. You're not going to see Mickey Mouse / Wolverine crossovers (Marvel would have done that, but Disney won't -- trust me).

Disney and Marvel are capabable of existing as two separate entities owned under the same umbrella. To wit, consider this list of "Disney movies:"
Pulp Fiction
Clerks
Trainspotting
Tombstone
Quiz Show
Grosse Point Blank
The Sixth Sense
The Joy Luck Club
The Piano
The Crow
The Royal Tenenbaums
Good Morning, Vietnam
Dead Poets Society
The Ref
The English Patient
Shakespeare in Love
Chasing Amy
The Others
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
Gangs of New York
Chicago
The Hours
Kill Bill
There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men
Those are movies (among many more) from Miramax, Touchstone, and Hollywood Pictures -- all owned by the Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group. Yet no one ever thinks of them as "Disney movies," nor should they. Disney owns lots of things that aren't branded with the Disney name.
Disney isn't a kiddie theme park or a producer of only family films. They make all kinds of movies, TV shows, vacation resorts, apparel, etc. They own ESPN and ABC. They own record companies like Hollywood, Mammoth, and Lyric Street. They're a huge corporation, and corporations like to make money. Hannah Montana isn't going to show up in the next Punisher series. Disney wouldn't be doing themselves any favors by tainting characters and storylines that have drawn a loyal fan base for well over 40 years. And they're not that stupid.
So don't get your Spandex in a wad over the merger. It's not going to ruin Marvel. In fact, it's more likely to strengthen Marvel. DC Comics has long been owned by Time Warner, and such backing from a media giant can help pull comics through tough times (remember, on their own, Marvel filed for bankruptcy in the mid-1990s) and solidify branding.
The big questions, in my mind at least, are: What does this mean for Universal theme parks? Universal currently makes heavy use of Marvel characters in their rides and with costumed characters. Once contractual obligations expire, I'd expect those associations to disappear, requiring a massive rebranding for Universal.
Will we someday see the Marvel characters in Disney theme parks? I don't think so. Maybe if Disney ever launches a long-rumored thrill seeker-themed park the Marvel properties could show up there. But I hope not. Personally, I'd rather not see Marvel costumed characters anywhere. They always look stupid, and are nowhere on par with the quality of Disney's costumed characters.
What company will distribute Marvel movies? In the past, films based on Marvel characters have come from Universal, New Line, 20th Century Fox, Columbia, Lions Gate, and most recently, Marvel Studios. Will Sony retain movie rights for Spider-Man? What about Fox and X-Men? Will Disney keep Marvel Studios, merge them into one of their existing production companies, or create a new entity altogether?
Keep watching, true believers and Mouseketeers.

sublimesting

So, they own Stan Lee as well, right? I can envision him in a carnival barker role at the entrance to HS. "Step right up, step right up to the most excelsior park in town!"

Disneyfan1981

I say if anthing we'll see it more in DHS. But who knows?

I think it'll start out at DHS probably the focal point but I have a feeling when a chance to move them out into other parks comes along similar to the Pixar characters we'll see them seep into the other parks.

DCA has enough problems that are getting fixed. Tokyo would be my first guess.

DCA has a lot of problems getting fixed but adding Marvel attractions even to their small "Hollywood" area would be a way to boost attendance as well. I think you'll see them in DCA before seeing them in DL personally.

I could see a Marvel ride somewhere in TDS, but I don't know where. DHS is by far the best fit, IMO.

Disney is all about theming we know that so there are a lot of water based heroes and villains in their stable and with Namor having a film in development I could see him going into Disney Seas if the film is popular enough. I have no doubts that Disney will use a slow introduction method and put them where they seem to fit, I don't think you suddenly see a Wolverine E-Ticket because he is from Canada or a Black Panther's safari because he is from Africa....

SoupBone

Still dont get the hatred for a place so many claim to have never been or intend to go to. I didn’t realise there were so many narrow minded folk using this site, even allowing for educational abnormality amongst school holiday takers. But to be fair I suppose this stems from fear a bit like those who cant stand to have their branch of the omnipresent cloud dwelling space zombie questioned.

Honestly if you want to turn this into a religious argument be my guest but I will not participate. Also this pretty much sums up what you're about in this thread. I haven't seen one single person talking about religion in this thread so you appear to be trolling now.

WDWFREAK53

Marvel characters don't fit into the Magic Kingdom?

Captain America attraction to replace the Haunted Mansion in Liberty Square!!!

*runs and hides*

(Psst, the HM is my favorite attraction, this was a joke).

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Honestly if you want to turn this into a religious argument be my guest but I will not participate. Also this pretty much sums up what you're about in this thread. I haven't seen one single person talking about religion in this thread so you appear to be trolling now.

Is that you proving my point? Or are you trolling?

JimboJones123

Hulk Smash Stitch!!!

Nick Fury: What kind of Mickey Mouse operation is this?

Anita Blake to host Vampire hunt at DHS around Halloween.

The Watcher examines humans use of non-renewable resources at the UOE.

Take Mission Space to the dark side of the
moon and see the Inhumans.

Wolverine 360 in Japan.

I have a feeling this may be the replacement for the backlot.

Exciting stuff.

Fantastic Four and Fab Five musical castle show.

More. More. More.

WDWmazprty

Hulk Smash Stitch!!!

Nick Fury: What kind of Mickey Mouse operation is this?

Anita Blake to host Vampire hunt at DHS around Halloween.

The Watcher examines humans use of non-renewable resources at the UOE.

Take Mission Space to the dark side of the
moon and see the Inhumans.

Wolverine 360 in Japan.

I have a feeling this may be the replacement for the backlot.

Exciting stuff.

Fantastic Four and Fab Five musical castle show.

More. More. More.

Love it!:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom