Disney to buy Marvel Entertainment

JiminyandTink

I actually hope they dont introduce anything Marvel into the current parks (except maybe a show of some sort in DHS and a store in DD), but I would be interested in seeing plans of what a potential 5th gate might look like for Marvel.

I just think it would have an odd feel in the current parks, the only thing I can think of is its own area in DHS, but I would still rather they focus on Pixar expansion or revive the old plans for a Roger Rabitt Toontown before they think about that.

FigmentJedi

Disney should have bought DC Comics because they have more variety. They could use DC's iconic western charecters (Jonah Hex, Bat-Lash, Cinnemon) in a new Frontierland e-ticket, they could use the Green Lantern mythos in Tomorrowland, etc.

Except WB's owned DC since the 70s and there's no way they'd let them go. Especially when they risk loosing Superman thanks to that lawsuit from the creator's family.

Captain Chaos

Disney should have bought DC Comics because they have more variety. They could use DC's iconic western charecters (Jonah Hex, Bat-Lash, Cinnemon) in a new Frontierland e-ticket, they could use the Green Lantern mythos in Tomorrowland, etc.

I agree with '74. The biggest benefactor is the animation division.

Most likely, the people saying Marvel island will be replaced with Transformers island (or Cybertron) are probably right. If there already going to bulldoze half the land anyway they might as well make structural changes to the Spiderman building and clone the new Transformers e-ticket (since it uses the same ride system anyway) and they can easily retheme freefall to a transformers charecter and repaint the Hulk coaster black and call it "Escape from Cybertron" and add some new special effects. It would also give Universal the opprotunity to create there own robotic/animatronic charecters to walk around greeting guests.

Oh and its hillarious that while WDWMagic views this as a positive. The comic fansites are viewing this as absoluetly the WORST THING that could ever happen. Read the comments at www.newsarama.com for details.

Oh and to add to the hysteria:

Who's Finding Nemo??? Namor, the Sub-Mariner!!!!!

The Black Knight sets out to slay Pete's Dragon!!

The Incredibles meet the Fantastic Four!!

Howard the Duck wrestles Donald Duck to the ground and forces pants on the duck!

Dazzler releases a new single with Hannah Montana!!

Hank Pym's new girlfriend??? Tinkerbell!!!

After your two posts, I have to say, someone sounds very excited!! But not as excited as jt lol....

SirGoofy

Most likely, the people saying Marvel island will be replaced with Transformers island (or Cybertron) are probably right. If there already going to bulldoze half the land anyway they might as well make structural changes to the Spiderman building and clone the new Transformers e-ticket (since it uses the same ride system anyway) and they can easily retheme freefall to a transformers charecter and repaint the Hulk coaster black and call it "Escape from Cybertron" and add some new special effects. It would also give Universal the opprotunity to create there own robotic/animatronic charecters to walk around greeting guests.

Oh and its hillarious that while WDWMagic views this as a positive. The comic fansites are viewing this as absoluetly the WORST THING that could ever happen. Read the comments at www.newsarama.com for details.

Howard the Duck wrestles Donald Duck to the ground and forces pants on the duck!

Actually, the comic site I frequent has viewed this quite positively.

Of course there are the idiots who hate Disney because it's Disney, but the people who read the articles and realize Disney will leave Marvel basically alone like the deal.

jt04

Mostly agree except the part where you agree with 74. Animation will be the initial benefactor, but these properties will find many outlets at Disney.

This really adds to Disney's scope of offerings. This might turn out to be better than the Pixar deal. Of course I remember people saying Pixar would not fit in the parks either and that would never happen. Oh wait....

Mr.EPCOT

The problem with DC is that they are so saturated in the Six Flags parks.

Yeah, I know, I never had any real expectation for Disney getting DC, but even less for Marvel. I just want to see the DC properties get the proper theme park treatment.

I don't agree with that at all.

DC tends much more to the darker side of things IMO.

No way, all of DC's characters are way more clean-cut than Marvel's, who all seem to have major personal problems. And can you say Marvel Zombies?

By the way, DC Comic is not a good place right now. They just lost rights to a ton of Superman to the creator's family...DC can keep Superman, but they cannot show him flying or be from Krypton or several other odd rulings

I hate to say it, but I think you might want to read about the Siegels lawsuit again, because I think you're way off the mark here.

SirGoofy

With 4 billion, Disney could max out all 4 parks, build TDS as a 5th park and still have money left over. WHY DO THEY WANT SPIDERMAN? I don't get it...

:rolleyes:

You really don't get it do you?

Because Spider-Man, the X-Men, Captain America, and Iron Man are some of THE most recognizable and popular characters of our day, that will generate TONS of revenue. Stop being so short sited.

And no, 4 billion could not max out all four parks and build a new one.

Captain Chaos

Let me be the one who asks since I haven't seen it mentioned here... Universal's Marvel Super Hero Island features the COMIC book character images/animated series images of these characters... Why couldn't Disney develope rides based on LIVE ACTION movies???

And I too thought the HP ride wouldn't feature the likeness of the Harry Potter movie characters, cause WB wouldn't allow them to be licensed or something to that affect??? I thought the charcters would be generic looking. Guess I was wrong on that one.

SirGoofy

No way, all of DC's characters are way more clean-cut than Marvel's, who all seem to have major personal problems. And can you say Marvel Zombies?

I don't know. Darkest Night is kinda about zombies.:lol:

Yea I guess I've just always seen most of DC to be much more grittier than Marvel.

The Conundrum

This is better than the Pixar deal for me since I don't really give two ____*** about any of those kiddie films (except wall-e and incredibles which are decent). The biggest thing out of the Pixar deal for me was Jobs/Catmull/Lasseter taking over.

With Marvel they can bulldoze that whole backlot tram area of DHS and build a Marvel City with several exciting new attractions themed to IRON MAN, Namor: The Sub-Mariner, Captain America, The Avengers, etc.

Thor can be used as the centerpiece of a Beastly Kingdom revival! (Asgard ftw)

It should be noted this isnt the first time Disney acquired a major comic company. They acquired Crossgen comics a few years ago but nothing really came of it (mainly because Disney didn't know how to properly leverage the properties). This will be diferent though since Marvel runs itself.

Also, I guess Deadpool is now officially the greatest Disney charecter of all time!

BillyBuff

I don't know. Darkest Night is kinda about zombies.:lol:

Yea I guess I've just always seen most of DC to be much more grittier than Marvel.

Green Lantern: Blackest Night by Geoff Johns is my current favorite read and yes it's darker than the other DC titles.

Festivus

I think this could be huge for DHS. Combine Star Wars, Indiana Jones, The Muppets, Pixar, and now Marvel... If they do it right, people would forget the name Harry Potter.

However, being a fan of Marvel, and seeing how Disney has let The Muppets go to waste, it concerns me for the future of the Marvel characters...

_Scar

Sorry guys, people won't forbet about Harry Potter. It hasn't even debuted yet, and you guys think this will trump it? No way. And the average person would think Disney is trying to learn something from IoA without reading more into it. Guarentee you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom