Disney to buy Marvel Entertainment

PirateFrank

MAKE MONEY !!!!

If it is getting income for no risk are you seriously suggesting that theyd walk away, in the hope that Universal is so creatively inept that they couldnt re design the facades to two small and two large attractions?

Have a word with yourself.

Then come up with a reasonable explanation as to why Lassetter met with the creatives at Marvel? You clearly are looking for a fight. I'm not...nor am I being a fanboy...

I just don't think this is something that Universal wanted to happen. Any way you slice it, this is clearly advantage Disney...whether Disney gets an income stream from Marvel or Disney looks to exploit either it or Universal.

Either way, you might want to consider taking a few deep breaths and thinking about more important things to fight about.

SirGoofy

Then come up with a reasonable explanation as to why Lassetter met with the creatives at Marvel? You clearly are looking for a fight. I'm not...nor am I being a fanboy...

Ummm...because he's lead creative for Pixar? And that's the main thing cited in any news story about this? That Marvel was excited to work with Pixar?

Enough reasons?:lol:

majortom1981

From what i have seen with the conference cal land everything existing agreements will stay in place right now. So i am thinking universal has nothing to worry about for right now as long as the contract they signed with marvel doesn't expire.

Hmm I am wondering if pixar might make a computer animated marvel property movie. That would rock.

Walter Yensid

Wow. I am away from the computer and this happens. Definitely unexpected, but Iger has always looked to buy storytellers and content. As I remember him saying in some interview a time ago, too many companies buy non-character, non-story companies that have no value beyond past performance. He would rather buy a library of characters that can be sold forever across all the channels and get the people who tell the story (Pixar/Lasseter).

I think this is an amazing and bold move. I know our focus is theme parks, but I believe Iger sees the true payback coming from consumer products and the other channels. Just think...Hannah Montana pulls in over $1 billion in sales. This is possible because Disney has it on the TV, on DVDs, on every known consumer product, in the park, on live shows, etc. I mean, Cars brought in over $6 billion in sales and the movie was not even the best grossing Pixar movie. They just have the platform and the engine to make this a HUGE win. And like others have said, it fills their biggest void, the tween and teenage boy segment.

By the way, Marvel also pulled in over $260 million in profit last year, so that does not hurt. Add in the Disney sales channels and infrastructure over time...even more.

Funny note...Disney just bought Marvel, a company with probably the most famous and recognizable characters in the world outside of Disney ones, for substantially less than Eisner spent on Fox Family. Now that is funny...and sad.

Disneyfan1981

Honestly, I have a hard time imagining this as anything more than a vessel to give a shot in the arm to DHS. I think talks about a fifth gate because of this are a bit premature, they'll do rides and shows and probably meet and greets in DHS before anywhere else in the parks.

Figment632

Even if Universal had to retheme the rest of the Marvel area (which it hasn't even been established that they would), the idea they'd get rid of Spider-Man because "it wouldn't fit the theme" is not realistic in the least.

At most, you'd see some kind of generic theme like "Adventure Island" or "Hero Land," and Spidey would still be right in the mix. Seriously, Universal is going to WILLINGLY give up one of their biggest draws on the planet because they're worried about clashing themes? That makes no sense to me at all.

Hulk could become anything. It's just a green steel track. Spidey is a different story. Spidey will still be right there five years from now. I'll put a milkshake on it.*
*Guarantee good for one (1) milkshake in the event Spider-Man is removed before September 1, 2014, along with an unlimited number of straws.

Universal is lucky that land will be very easy to retheme

Like you said Dr. Doom and Hulk could become anything.
DD: Towering Inferno theme
Hulk: Anything is possiblle
Spidey: Will be gutted of everything but the ride system and be a clone of the Transformers ride being made for the the other Uni parks.

I could see Universal making this land their version of TL or just making the whole land Cybertron.

Spidey becomes: Transformers Dark Ride
DE: something to the extent of Star Scream blast off
Hulk: Escape from Cyberteon.

PirateFrank

Ummm...because he's lead creative for Pixar? And that's the main thing cited in any news story about this? That Marvel was excited to work with Pixar?

Enough reasons?:lol:

OK. fair enough. but I have one question....
What's Lasseter's title, as of right now?

Atomicmickey

hulkdisneyland.jpg

TheBeatles

As much as I love Marvel characters and comics... I'm just not excited about this.

I'm not really sure what to make of it.

I would much prefer original material from Disney.

Animaniac93-98

After the 1994 version with Baldwin bombed, no one rushed to make it a franchise. However, if I remember correctly, some big name has been tapped to write a new script, supposedly someone who has strong regard for the original pulps/radio show. Can't remember details though.

I'm aware the 1994 movie wasn't all that great, but as Batman Begins showed, just because the previous film with the character sucked doesn't mean a reinvention won't.

But if Disney wants a "get rich quick" scheme from buying Marvel than so be it. I doubt their presence within the company will be more than the Power Rangers are now.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

I just don't think this is something that Universal wanted to happen. Any way you slice it, this is clearly advantage Disney...whether Disney gets an income stream from Marvel or Disney looks to exploit either it or Universal.

Either way, you might want to consider taking a few deep breaths and thinking about more important things to fight about.
Thanks for the advice, but in time you will learn that it is wasted, I am well aware of where theme parks sit in the grand scheme of things. I can however assure you I am always calm, as fishing for fan boys is not exactly a stressful past time.
As you have now clearly modified the more barbed elements of your initial outlook, I assume having considered the more measured posts of myself and others I am happy to accept that you admit were wrong with your initial assumptions and accept that possibly Disney may be interested in making money through this purchase.
And I take it you also agree that this purchase shows how worried by Potter Disney was, despite the Sherriff’s fans protestations to the contrary.

LudwigVonDrake

I have no faith that Disney will do anything substantial with the Marvel characters in the US parks. They don't want to spend the money (it seems) to put in a family coaster based on Monsters, Inc. (which is a successful franchise for them) so what makes you think that suddenly they'll dump loads of money into new attractions based on these newly acquired characters? The best you'll get is a Super-Hero parade in the Studios. They'll join the Muppets as being underutilized in the parks.

worldfanatic

How can having your top theme park assets bought by your arch rival not be a disaster?

Even if Disney agreed to let the Marvel characters remain in Universal, why would Universal want to promote Disney characters longrun?

The heads of Universal Studios are crying today.

Disney didn't buy Marvel for or because of the parks. Doing massive damage to Universal was just a perfect side effect.

This is like the Red Sox buying out Jeter, ARod, Tex and Rivera from the Yankees. A STUNNING BLOW!!!!!

Now the pressure's really on the Boy Wizard!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom