Disney Dining Experience Changes

brkgnews

So if this is, indeed, for DDE only... then the next question becomes... "Why?" And I don't mean "why oh why did they do this to us," but rather, "what was the reasoning behind the policy." Obviously there had to be a reason -- this doesn't seem like a "ya know what we oughta do..." thing. So...

- Had DDE members become notorious for being lousy tippers?

- Were CMs getting the shaft because DDE members figured their tip based on the discounted price rather than the pre-discount cost?

- Was it a way to appease the CMs since they would presumably be losing their auto-tip in the DDP?

- Was it an attempt to standardize pay across the board?

- Was it a "goodwill gesture" in the union sense?

- Was it a "preventative measure" in the union sense?

Any other possibilities y'all can think of?

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I just got an e-mail from Zoraya Suarez (a spokeswoman for Disney) who indicated that this was for DDE members only.

Cool... I usually tip 20% or better while at WDW.

But if the service I get is full of suck... then the tip I give reflects that. :lol:

Either way... I am glad I held out on the DDE plan then (not gonna get it now)... cause I would still like to control what I give as a tip +/- 18% (20% for me personally) or whatever... depending on service, not by policy. :wave:

TinkerBelle8878

Thank goodness its only for the DDP. I can only picture the irate non DDp'ers when the bill comes.

Either way, this whole tipping added on policy is awful. They probably go the brilliant idea from the cruiselines. And its a horrible policy there.

Every cruise I've been on since its been started, the service has been terrible. On different lines, so its not just limited to one. The employees don't do anything more than bare minimum knowing they're getting their tips anyway. Sure they say you can complain about it and get it taken off but they STRONGLY persuade you not to and shame you into it. Which might happen at WDW. They should just pay the waitstaff more. Or add it to the DDP price of membership.

If this is what's in store for people with DDP, cancel it now and ask for your money back.

nbodyhome

So if this is, indeed, for DDE only... then the next question becomes... "Why?" And I don't mean "why oh why did they do this to us," but rather, "what was the reasoning behind the policy." Obviously there had to be a reason -- this doesn't seem like a "ya know what we oughta do..." thing. So...

- Had DDE members become notorious for being lousy tippers?

- Were CMs getting the shaft because DDE members figured their tip based on the discounted price rather than the pre-discount cost?

- Was it a way to appease the CMs since they would presumably be losing their auto-tip in the DDP?

- Was it an attempt to standardize pay across the board?

- Was it a "goodwill gesture" in the union sense?

- Was it a "preventative measure" in the union sense?

Any other possibilities y'all can think of?

I understood at the time (many months ago, when this was discussed) that it was a concession for taking away the tips on the DDP. And groups were brought down from 8 to 6 for the automatic gratuity.

I expect also that not all DDE members tip on the original bill.

Denise

Cinderelly07

This sucks

This really sucks! When we go down we always tip what ever our discount is. If we spend $150 we just add the $30 they would take away for the discount back to the price. We just see it as saving our tip unless of course the service was sucky and then we save a little more. I really hope this doesn't apply to counter service too. A good example of where this idea has really taken a toll on service is the Pepper Market at Coronado Springs. They stand around and do nothing. We even get our own drinks there most of the time and we still have to pay a 10% added grat to our checks. The food there is great but we don't get the service that we pay for and that is really bad because 10% really isn't much. As a server I can understand how it would feel to constantly get stiffed by those using the DDP and I suppose I would want my boss to do something about it if I knew that it wasn't my service that was the issue. I just don't understand why they should punish every one when it seems to only be the DDP that is really taking a toll on the tips. To be honest it isn't just the tips that the DDP is taking a toll on. The menu's have changed and not in a good way. There are also many more children in the more upscale places. We know that we are vacationing in Disney, we love kids and we become big kids every time we enter a park. We would love for everyone to be able to experiance the delectable delights of Cali Grill and Jiko ect., some of those places really make a vacation for the two of us, however, when we go out to those places as adults and not our big kid park loving selves and we have to sit behind kids kicking the back of the seat or just being loud and rude, or a crying baby,, it really takes away from the romance that Disney use to be very good at creating. Someone else also posted about the seating times and how long you wait these days to get in even though you made a priority reservation 180 days prior. I totally agree with that. During our summer trip this year we waited over an hour every night and we came early in upwards of 15 minutes or more to check in! It was horrible. When they start making us tip on the Mickey premium bars I am really going to protest! :cry:

bigtotoro

You might spend $250 in a restaurant??? A single restaurant? One single seating?
:eek:
At a fine dining establishment, it's pretty easy. Especially if you have a cocktail before the meal, multi course with wine pairings, after dinner drink(I like scotch...scotchscotchscotch)...with a proper gratuity you can EASILY hit that. Obviously, it's only a once or twice a year thing. But it's nice for me to put on a jacket and tie, the wife to put on a dress and to go out like proper adults.

brucie

First they change the DDP now this!! This is yet another terrible move by Disney in reguards to Dining, Tips should be based on service!!!!

AutumnKlassic

This is just one of the many reasons why I jumped ship and am going to stay off property for the first time. I am going for 2 weeks and could not imagine paying these prices for two weeks of diners or have to eat one of the counter service meals for each meal. I HATE that it has gotten so expensive for me to go I have to move away from the places and conviences that I love.

candyman9585

News to everyone!

Hi everyone! :(

I just want everyone to know when I heard this I called the DDE right away since I just purchased the card literally less than a week ago. I was like basically I am getting a free tip now, and not actually getting a discount. Well I got some BIG news for everyone! Before I even went on the lady informed me that this is not just for the DDE. This 18% gratuity will be added on to every single check in every single table service location all over WDW property. I was completely shocked that Disney would put through this type of change for their dining locations. Me as a guest am a little nervous going to dine in their locations now, and what happens if I receive under par service? I for sure will not be wanting to leave 18%, and if I got extremely good service I would normally leave more then 18%. I can see this causing many arguments and problems with guests (remember folks guests who are on vacation mostly) and management at these dining locations. I can see a big problem starting here...I will for sure be sending a letter to Disney to share my thoughts on this new mandatory gratuity. The person from DDE also told me I should send a letter in. She gave me this e-mail to write a letter to, and I hope everyone who agrees with me that this new charge is an outrage. Here is the e-mail to forward your letters to:
wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Have a magical day! :xmas:

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I just got an e-mail from Zoraya Suarez (a spokeswoman for Disney) who indicated that this was for DDE members only.

Well I got some news for everyone! Before I even went on the lady informed me that this is not just for the DDE. This 18% gratuity will be added on to every single check in every single table service location all over WDW property

Wait..what? So which is it? Steve? Any input / confirmation here?

There is mass confusion on other message boards as well.

NewfieFan

Yeah, count me in as one of the confused as well!:veryconfu Is it just for people with DDE or is it for all table service restaurants regardless?

Laura

Premium Member
Thank goodness its only for the DDP. I can only picture the irate non DDp'ers when the bill comes.

Either way, this whole tipping added on policy is awful. They probably go the brilliant idea from the cruiselines. And its a horrible policy there.

Every cruise I've been on since its been started, the service has been terrible. On different lines, so its not just limited to one. The employees don't do anything more than bare minimum knowing they're getting their tips anyway. Sure they say you can complain about it and get it taken off but they STRONGLY persuade you not to and shame you into it. Which might happen at WDW. They should just pay the waitstaff more. Or add it to the DDP price of membership.

If this is what's in store for people with DDP, cancel it now and ask for your money back.

Well, this is for Disney Dining Experience, not the dining plan. Or is that what you meant?

Tipping on Disney Cruiseline is expected and they give you a recommended amount, but it's not automatic. It's still your own choice.

As a server I can understand how it would feel to constantly get stiffed by those using the DDP and I suppose I would want my boss to do something about it if I knew that it wasn't my service that was the issue. I just don't understand why they should punish every one when it seems to only be the DDP that is really taking a toll on the tips.

I was under the impression that gratuities have always been INCLUDED with the dining plan (though they are changing that), so how were they getting stiffed?

This is just one of the many reasons why I jumped ship and am going to stay off property for the first time. I am going for 2 weeks and could not imagine paying these prices for two weeks of diners or have to eat one of the counter service meals for each meal. I HATE that it has gotten so expensive for me to go I have to move away from the places and conviences that I love.

Well your argument makes no sense. The amount you're spending on the meal shouldn't really change much. In fact, most people tip 20% and now they'll only be tipping 18%. So unless you normally tip less than 18% your cost isn't going up. It's just the principle of a forced gratuity that is annoying.

Laura

Premium Member
I don't see how this change could apply to everyone. It would make things really stupid for people on the dining plan. Their tips aren't included with the plan anymore, so now rather than just leave some cash on the table after every meal, they're actually going to get a BILL for the 18% tip? If they're gonna include an automatic gratuity on everyone's bill they're gonna have to go back to including tips with the dining plan prices.

DABIGCHEEZ

Sorry if this has been answered but I can't sift through the 12 pages or so right now. I too tip greater then 18% where warranted and less when warranted as well. If this stays in place I will be the on to call the manger and tell him/her my exact thoughts if service was lousy. It will most likely make me adjust my plans as well.... I do not like being FORCED to do anything!!!
I know this applies to table service.. but does anyone know if it includes the buffets? If so it is just like adding gasoline to an already big fire.

DABIGCHEEZ

This is exactly what I will be doing along with several other DDE members I have spoken to today. We were normally 20% and up tippers but since Disney decided to make 18% mandatory then that is all they will get from us.[/quote]

Until next year when the added on tip will go to 20%!

WED10078

I just got of the phone with Disney Reservations and confirmed the following:

• Starting Jan 1, 2008 for Disney Dining Experience Cardholders will autocrappily pay an 18% gratuity at ALL SIT DOWN RESTAURANTS:mad::mad:
  • This policy DOES NOT affect the few counter restaurants that still give a discount
  • This policy also DOES NOT affect the general public, so it's only us regulars who are affected:fork::fork:
  • It's called auto gratuity and not a service charge so you can refute charge
Personally, I feel it's the annual passholders and Florida residents who are constantly being screwed by Disney Management. A long time ago, having an annual pass (Florida Resident or Not) used to mean something. We actually used to get discounts and were pampered for being valued fanatics, not anymore.

The Disney Management continues to make changes that seem to punish the repeat visit folks. Some of my favorite dishes have disappeared and food quality have suffered tremendously all due to those stupid FREE Disney Dining that management still does. It's these first timers who don't know the ropes and all the ins and outs that screw us and yet management is helping them out. During the same period that we are not paying an auto 18% they are not auto paying anything, how many servers is this going to effect?

In terms of gratuity, being a sever myself, I work hard for my tips; I understand my menu, delight my guests, and provide an overall wonderful experience that makes them want to come back, and I am tipped appropriately. This auto tipping junk encourages lazy behavior, poor service, and causes much anguish out of us regulars. SIMPLY PUT, SEVERS NEED TO EARN THEIR GOOD TIPS, TO AUTOMATICALLY GET A GOOD TIP IS HORRIBLE!!!! I tip based on the service rendered, if it's good they get at least 20% and if it's bad well it depends on how bad :(

I will be expressing my concerns of the dwindling magic by way of a letter in the coming days, and suggest everyone else that has a beef with the current changes do the same. Apparently, if management has to open the mailbox and respond to physical letters they are more likely to make changes. Emailing complaints are fine but the feeling I get is that they could care less about an ugly email, they can just hit delete and it never happened. :eek:

wannabeBelle

I too called DDE and spoke with Marsha over there who told me that this was indeed for everyone, DDE members, regular paying customers and dining plan. I had asked her if she was sure as I am a travel agent and wanted to be sure the information I was telling my clients was correct. She said yes. I also have spoken to my boss, Pam ( KingdomKonsultant) and we will be checking this with our sources. As soon as any of us have any other information I will post it here. Belle

Maerj

Hi everyone! :(

I just want everyone to know when I heard this I called the DDE right away since I just purchased the card literally less than a week ago. I was like basically I am getting a free tip now, and not actually getting a discount. Well I got some BIG news for everyone! Before I even went on the lady informed me that this is not just for the DDE. This 18% gratuity will be added on to every single check in every single table service location all over WDW property. I was completely shocked that Disney would put through this type of change for their dining locations. Me as a guest am a little nervous going to dine in their locations now, and what happens if I receive under par service? I for sure will not be wanting to leave 18%, and if I got extremely good service I would normally leave more then 18%. I can see this causing many arguments and problems with guests (remember folks guests who are on vacation mostly) and management at these dining locations. I can see a big problem starting here...I will for sure be sending a letter to Disney to share my thoughts on this new mandatory gratuity. The person from DDE also told me I should send a letter in. She gave me this e-mail to write a letter to, and I hope everyone who agrees with me that this new charge is an outrage. Here is the e-mail to forward your letters to:
wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Have a magical day! :xmas:

Well everyone, I think he's right, if you really are that upset by all of this I suggest everyone write to wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com and let them know about it. Even write them a real letter, using paper and send it in the mail.

I know I was planning a trip next year with another family. They have 5 kids and are really not going to be able to afford all of these increases that Disney seems to want to do. :veryconfu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom