Disney Dining Experience Changes

danyoung

I used to have the DDE. Didn't care for the service. I didn't feel like I was saving much. Now, with this gratuity added in, there is no savings. Glad I didn't renew.

I'm not sure how you can say this. Look at the math. If I buy a meal that costs $50, using the DDE gets me $10 off. Then add in an 18% tip (on the undiscounted meal total of $50), or $9, and your total comes to $49.

Without the DDE, you add on an 18% tip (the same $9)and your bill is now $59. With the card you've saved 10 bucks on this one meal! And I eat many meals that are way over $50 (occasionally hitting $100 for a fine meal for one at places like the California Grill!), and the card pays for itself in just a couple days.

Now, I still don't like the choice of tipping or not tipping being taken away from me. But I've been reading and learning a lot on threads just like this one over the past couple weeks. And I can see why it's a big deal to the waitpersions' union in trying to make up for the larger than normal percentage of folks who either tip poorly or don't tip at all.

PigletIsMyCat

Okay. I read through this ENTIRE thread. All seventeen billion posts. And I'm still slightly confused.

I get that the auto-tip of 18% will be added to guests' bills for A) parties of 6 or more, and B) guests using the DDE at all table service locations. I believe in one of the union contract posts that it stated 'all table service and LOUNGE locations'. According to what I've read on allearsnet, the DDE is good for 20% off food and beverage INCLUDING alcohol. So, they'll be adding the 18% to my bar tab at Outer Rim Lounge?

Don't get me wrong, I tip well for appropriate service. I was a waitress once, and I know how important that 15% is. If I feel the need to leave less than 15%, a manager is notified because that's a problem with staff. I am more in the line of 20-25% tip at restaurants, 10-15% at buffets. But I tip per drink in bars. Beverages are cash cows for restaurants and bars. No way I want to be forced to pay 18% on each drink.

Not that I never tip bartenders. But if we have four drinks, I might leave three or four bucks (depends if it was mostly beer or there were mixed drinks involved). It's the point that I HAVE to tip a certain amount. Bartenders do not get a lower wage like servers (usually at least 15% under minimum wage), so why should I really have to tip them at all? Also, it's late and I'm missing Poker After Dark.... I was tought to tip at a bar to get buybacks. If the bartender never gave you a drink or shot on the house, you left a buck for every two drinks. If he bought you drink, you add the cost of that drink to your tip. This drinking-in-Disney thing confuses me.

Actually, maybe just the drinking confuses me :p

kucarachi

good union

I wonder if doctors will soon follow suit with this. Maybe if they find a tumor they will add 18% to your bill if they can get it out. Or next time your at Jiffy Lube if they do it really fast they will add a 14% tip. I personally feel while carrying food 3 times at most per person isnt the hardest job in the world, but being nice to people who arent is really what the tip is for. So how come the booking people dont get tips (ive seen people try to tip them and they swear that they arent allowed to receive tips). Why dont the bus drivers get tips?

I personally never tipped on the dining plan because i knew they got 14 or 15 % and our meals were always around 80 for dinner at the least. So they get a measly 12 dollars..but if you get 3 of those in an hour which isnt that uncommon plus the regular payers your getting at least 35 to 40 in tips...and thats being modest. 35 an hour to bring out ice tea and potato skins. I know americans are the fattest people in the world so when did the food servers become the fattest in the wallet. To me it just seems like greed. Disney is making billions why shouldn't we get some of that money. They are telling us that what we give isnt good enough since we put down so much on hotels, park tickets. I mean the service is usually excellent but when i go to red lobster the people are just as nice...i dont understand what they do thats so much better than any other people in the world. Yes they might be a little more upbeat and perky than the midnight shift at dennys.

I dont know about you guys but next time when i go for 7 days im cutting it down to 1 table service meal and i'll tip good. But thats 6 meals that wont be making any money for the soooo underpaid wait staff. Why dont they just ask disney for an 18% raise instead of us. Because in a way we are the boss since our money makes disney rich and they use that money to pay their staff.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Just look at the add on's for any airline ticket

And in Florida (as well as many other places) look what they automatically do to a hotel or rental car fee! :fork:

Mommeee

Long time since anyone checked in here so I might be shouting into a void, but I was at WDW last week and had terrible service at Crystal Palace buffet, spoke with manager, and the 18% gratuity CANNOT be altered, regardless of your service or whom you complain to.

frank2271

Long time since anyone checked in here so I might be shouting into a void, but I was at WDW last week and had terrible service at Crystal Palace buffet, spoke with manager, and the 18% gratuity CANNOT be altered, regardless of your service or whom you complain to.

That's a problem, if the servers know this then we can say goodbye to Disney's world famous standard of service. At least where the restaurants are concerned.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If that is the case then what I would do if the service is really bad is to not use your DDE card and then leave zip. You pay slightly more but hopefully the CM gets the message.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom