Disney Dining Experience Changes

Laura

Premium Member
I too called DDE and spoke with Marsha over there who told me that this was indeed for everyone, DDE members, regular paying customers and dining plan. I had asked her if she was sure as I am a travel agent and wanted to be sure the information I was telling my clients was correct. She said yes. I also have spoken to my boss, Pam ( KingdomKonsultant) and we will be checking this with our sources. As soon as any of us have any other information I will post it here. Belle

So does this mean that dining plan people will get a bill after they eat for an 18% gratuity? I mean, I can't even fathom the angry reactions!

danv3

I think this is a terrible idea, but I'm actually mildly amused that it's a day later, and we still seem to have no idea whether this applies to everyone, or just DDE. For every cast member that says it's DDE only, another one says it's for everyone. :hammer:

Cinderelly07

This is the problem

You are so right! Every one is being told something different. Just for fun and curiosity I called and I asked about who will be paying the auto 18% grat. and I was told just DDE,, I called about 10 minutes later and spoke to someone different and she told me that everyone that walks in and eats at any sit down establishment with table service, with or with out a discount card or free dinning plan, will pay the 18% grat. If THEY can't get it straight in the office then how are WE suppose to get it straight on the boards.:confused: If I am going to B#@$^ about something I would really like to know exactly what the facts are! :brick::veryconfu:lookaroun

spaceghost

Where's JP Von Drake when you need him? :)

Well, just to chime in, as others have pointed out, an automatic gratuity is an oxymoron. If you are forced to pay a certain percentage of your bill to your server, this fee is no longer a gratuity...no matter what they choose to call it.

Also, people are getting upset with Disney about this change, as well as the changes to the DDP regarding gratuities that have been previously announced. However, I believe that both of these changes came at the request of the union in the last contract negotiations. Here's my thoughts:

- For the DDP, at the time of the changes, someone on this board had posted the fact that they thought this came from the new contract this past year. The reasoning behind it was that with tips from the DDP, servers would not get their tips immediately, like they would with cash - it would get put into their next paycheck automatically, which means that they would have to wait longer to get their tips. It also means that the tips would be much easier to report to Uncle Sam, which while I'm sure no one verbalized in negotiations (since it would be illegal to not report wages to the IRS), but I'm sure that a segment of the servers in the union had that as a motivation for removing tips from the DDP. Now, this info is only as reliable as the post I got it from originally, but the arguments do make sense...although, the idea of Disney trying to make more money by excluding tips from the plan also makes sense...:rolleyes: Anyone have any factual insight on this?

- For the recently announce DDE changes, I don't see how this could be anything but a change done at the request of the union and the servers. Why would Disney care whether we pay a gratuity or not, or how much we pay? The money, regardless of how paid, goes straight to the servers - it doesn't go in Disney's coffers. The only reason I can think of for this change is because servers felt like they were getting stiffed...either with the DDE or across the board, depending on how this change ends up being applied. I'm sure the last thing Disney management wants to do is force another fee on people that might drive them away from spending money at the resort...especially when they see none of that fee themselves. I see no way that the Disney company would benefit from doing this, other than to appease their employees.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Well, just to chime in, as others have pointed out, an automatic gratuity is an oxymoron. If you are forced to pay a certain percentage of your bill to your server, this fee is no longer a gratuity...no matter what they choose to call it.

Also, people are getting upset with Disney about this change, as well as the changes to the DDP regarding gratuities that have been previously announced. However, I believe that both of these changes came at the request of the union in the last contract negotiations. Here's my thoughts:

- For the DDP, at the time of the changes, someone on this board had posted the fact that they thought this came from the new contract this past year. The reasoning behind it was that with tips from the DDP, servers would not get their tips immediately, like they would with cash - it would get put into their next paycheck automatically, which means that they would have to wait longer to get their tips. It also means that the tips would be much easier to report to Uncle Sam, which while I'm sure no one verbalized in negotiations (since it would be illegal to not report wages to the IRS), but I'm sure that a segment of the servers in the union had that as a motivation for removing tips from the DDP. Now, this info is only as reliable as the post I got it from originally, but the arguments do make sense...although, the idea of Disney trying to make more money by excluding tips from the plan also makes sense...:rolleyes: Anyone have any factual insight on this?

- For the recently announce DDE changes, I don't see how this could be anything but a change done at the request of the union and the servers. Why would Disney care whether we pay a gratuity or not, or how much we pay? The money, regardless of how paid, goes straight to the servers - it doesn't go in Disney's coffers. The only reason I can think of for this change is because servers felt like they were getting stiffed...either with the DDE or across the board, depending on how this change ends up being applied. I'm sure the last thing Disney management wants to do is force another fee on people that might drive them away from spending money at the resort...especially when they see none of that fee themselves. I see no way that the Disney company would benefit from doing this, other than to appease their employees.
I agree. The only logical conclusion is that it was a part of the latest union contract unless of course this 18% automatic gratuity is paid to the cast members on their weekly check. If that is the case Disney stands to make a significant sum of money simply on the interest generated by this additional cash flow.

WDWGuy

Well All I can say is.....

If I have to pay 18% gratuity to a server that provided horrible Guest Service...A scene will be made.....WDW F and B Managers? I hope you're ready!!!

And judging by some of the servers I have encountered over the last 10 years at WDW....this scene will be played OVER and OVER again...

How Disney F and B doesn't ses this is beyond my comprehension....

Hope the Yak and Yeti has hired some quality Cast Members :hammer:

Let the Magic begin!!

WDWGuy

spaceghost

I agree. The only logical conclusion is that it was a part of the latest union contract unless of course this 18% automatic gratuity is paid to the cast members on their weekly check. If that is the case Disney stands to make a significant sum of money simply on the interest generated by this additional cash flow.

If the change ends up being across the board, I would say that would make sense, although the changes to the DDP will offset a large part of that as people will be using the Dining Plan for their meal and at least in some cases, leaving cash for the tip. If this is just for DDE customers, I can't see that the interest from those tips would amount to enough to really make much of a difference, especially when weighed against upset guests.

DABIGCHEEZ

If true, just another reasons to add to the list for why unions SUCK!(IMHO)

Also.. 13 pages and just as confused. Becomes more of a cluster$#$#% as time passes.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If the change ends up being across the board, I would say that would make sense, although the changes to the DDP will offset a large part of that as people will be using the Dining Plan for their meal and at least in some cases, leaving cash for the tip. If this is just for DDE customers, I can't see that the interest from those tips would amount to enough to really make much of a difference, especially when weighed against upset guests.
If it does end up being DDE only (which I suspect it will) you are right. There simply will not be enough to make it worth it but if we are talking an across the board 18% increase to all TS meals floating around Disney's bank account for up to a week the money generated in interest will really start to show up as a profit on the books.

optjay

Eh,

1) Dining has been going downhill, both in quality/variety and in availability. I put the majority of the fault squarely on the shoulders of the Disney Dining Plan

-dave

Also could not agree more!!!

Just returned yesterday, and the table servers already are not that good.Cant imagine how bad it will be when they get the same tip for terrible service as they would for good service.
As for the standard food found every place you go... TIRED of it!!

optjay

I must admit though that as a D.V.C. member I never planned on using the kitchens in the villas when I bought it.
Going on vacation was just that, a vacation!
Every trip I go on to Disney World, I now find ourselves making our own food in the room.
We have become so tired of the wait at all locations, and the same old food at every counter service is now bothering my 6, and 7 year olds.
Service at all food locations has been on the decline for years, granted, you would find a server once in a great while that actually cared but they are few and far between!!

biggy H

I believe that Florida state Law makes it mandatory to state on all menus and all checks when a automatic tip has been added.

Title XXXIII REGULATION OF TRADE, COMMERCE, INVESTMENTS, AND SOLICITATIONS

Chapter 509 LODGING AND FOOD SERVICE ESTABLISHMENTS; MEMBERSHIP CAMPGROUNDS

509.214 Notification of automatic gratuity charge.--Every public food service establishment which includes an automatic gratuity or service charge in the price of the meal shall include on the food menu and on the face of the bill provided to the customer notice that an automatic gratuity is included.
History.--s. 1, ch. 86-24; s. 1, ch. 88-16; ss. 21, 52, ch. 90-339; s. 4, ch. 91-429.

So does it apply to everyone or do DDE holders get separate menus?

I was looking at getting the DDE for my trip next year as it made a good saving over my 21 day trip, not so sure now.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I believe that Florida state Law makes it mandatory to state on all menus and all checks when a automatic tip has been added.

So does it apply to everyone or do DDE holders get separate menus?

I was looking at getting the DDE for my trip next year as it made a good saving over my 21 day trip, not so sure now.
If it does wind up being DDE only, I wonder if they can get around that law by putting the automatic gratuity notification on the DDE card and/or in the terms and conditions of the card.

DisneyPhD

From what I have read in this thread, it appears that when people call DDE, they are being told that this rule applies to everyone, however when people call guest services they are told it's only DDE that are getting the auto-gratuity.

I wonder if you could cross out the auto-gratuity amount and change it to what you would like to tip (more for exceptional service or less for lousy service). Or will you have to drag the manager over at every meal.

danv3

If it's DDE only, it's easy to comply with the law by just printing something like this on the menu: "Guests using the Disney Dining Experience will be charged an 18% gratuity [for parties of six or more]." No need for a separate menu.

JimboJones123

Normally the mood starts lifting after about 24 hours when something bad is announced. Not this time. It isn't a "well, that's unfortunate" type situation by any means. It's terrible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom