Disney Dining Experience Changes

Disneyfanman

I suspect that it will be DDE and DDP participants only. I cannot imagine that Disney would be that dense. I really have never minded an automatic gratuity on a large party, but it's been that way so long that I may have just accepted it. As a member of the Hospitality Industry, if any normal restaurant tried to do this, we know that service would immediatly suffer (The good would get average, the bad would become terrible, etc), and we would end up destroying the service rep. It's hard enough to get people who are talented servers now. Some of the really good ones sometimes get 20%-30% tips when they really over-deliver, and just make a ton of money. So I HAVE to believe the this is an attempt to correct the mistake that people make when they have a discounted meal of not tipping on the original amt, or the mistake of not tipping correctly on a DDP meal (now that tips will no longer be part of the plan). Because right now there is NO incentive for a server to do well with a DDP or a DDE meal, if they are receiving smaller gratuities. If it's DDE and DDP only, then I think it's a good change. This smacks of a communication breakdown, and not a complete corporate missfire.

Well if this comes to fruition (sp?) for all Table Service meals and adding it to the changes to the dining plan (which we loved) and the horrible service I received all around during our last trip, I may not be going back to the world for a long time, and that makes me very sad........ :(

P.S on a side note.. anyone know how long it takes to hear back from guest communications? I've been waiting for two weeks now with not even a peep from them..

Maerj

I just wrote to them about this an hour ago and instantly got one of those automatic replies. Who knows after that? I know that I they actually called me before about certain things. Maybe you should write them another email and express your dislike of the new changes?

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Heck, in my email I even mentioned that I don't like the fact that they got rid of the Mickey soaps in the hotels. I use it as an example of how they are not thinking about the details, which is what makes WDW special.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I just wrote to them about this an hour ago and instantly got one of those automatic replies. Who knows after that? I know that I they actually called me before about certain things. Maybe you should write them another email and express your dislike of the new changes?

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Heck, in my email I even mentioned that I don't like the fact that they got rid of the Mickey soaps in the hotels. I use it as an example of how they are not thinking about the details, which is what makes WDW special.
Which Mickey soaps are you referring to as I still got them and I was there last weekend?

speck76

This is not a great business move. America has never accepted Tips being included in the bill. Someone made a great point about ordering wine or spirits. You don't tip 18% on liquor. This will be a mess and I see Disney changing this within a month.

probably not

This was a demand in the last union contract negotiation, which will not expire for at least 3 years.

brkgnews

This is the trouble with taking the "drive by shooting" approach to Public Relations (see my earlier mention of throwing bad PR to the public on a Friday). Instead of standing there, facing the fire, and answering the questions, you just throw it out to the wolves... and that means that 400 "truths" emerge. I know I have seen at least four or five different "truths" on what will be happening with this policy... and NOBODY knows what is the "true truth." My rule when writing policies/etc at work is I take it to someone who has no freaking clue what I'm talking about and ask them what the policy means. If they can understand it, it's a well-written policy. If they have no clue, then it needs to be re-written (or at least have all possible confusion points thoroughly explained).

daliseurat

Well, well. Another bone-headed Disney move. Gotta love the guys in suits with their little calculators. You, know, the folks who never really worked for a living and never really did anything productive.

And as whoever came up with and wrote out the original email is a true moron. I don't know how much more confusing it could be. According to that email, 18% will be added to every sado you buy from CS stand. Is this going to be just for DDE or DDP or EVERYONE?

And for each one of you complaining about how this will somehow cost you more, stop it. Unless you are a poor tipper to begin with, the 18% is basically just forcing you to pay what you're already paying. Unless of course, none of you tips anyway. And if so SHAME.

Honestly, this is not really worth all the agravation. Generally speaking, I'd bet that most of us are pretty good about tipping 18% or more at table service restaraunts. So, whether we do it ourselves or it's automatically added, it won't make much difference in the end. Except of course, we won't have to bother figuring it out. And of course, we won't be tipping those exceptional servers more money.

The main thing that is irritating is that our CHOICE has been removed. So if we get lousy service we can't choose to tip poorly to reflect our displeasure. So now I will have to do what I normally do. COMPLAIN. I have no problem telling a lousy waiter that they don't deserve the 18%. I don't have a problem telling the manager. And I love to write letters of complaint when they are warrented. Sometimes I even get a free meal.

So. Mostly, this is just more frustrating nonsense to annoy us. Disney should not be surprised when we choose not to frequent table service, or go elsewhere for our meals. The entire point of all these plans and discounts is too keep us guests eating AT WDW.

Note to beancounter: You don't understand that. You're fired.

Main Street USA

An 18% fee attached to your bill is not a gratuity. It's a surcharge.
AMEN. I was getting ready to type a long post explaining exactly that, but you've managed to shorten it to one sentence. If Disney thinks they can tack on an 18% surcharge and keep their business, they're sadly mistaken. I have 3 PS reservations for my January trip, and if they think I'll keep them with this JOKE of a rule they're wrong. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

A tip is a tip. It's very definition suggests it should be based SOLELY on the level of service provided. If your server paid no attention to you, left you alone for the entire meal, was rude, etc...they deserve nothing.........that's right.....nothing. They made no attempt to do their job, and for that they should be rewarded with a $0.00 where the tip is usually written. Too many servers think they DESERVE a tip as part of their regular wage, and they do..........if they earn it with good service.

speck76

http://servicetradescouncil.org/2007 STC Full Time CBA.doc

Again....you can read the contract here....see document page 65 (contract page 58)

this was a demand by the union.....nothing to do with beancounters or management....this is about keeping the cheaper segments of the population from stiffing the servers....this is about taking care of the cast members.

Gratuities/Fees

1. Effective January 1, 2008 Gratuities will be paid on food and beverage totals only. Gratuities will not be paid on miscellaneous pricing, including but not limited to merchandise, entertainment, (excluding Spirit of Aloha, Hoop-Dee-Doo, and Character Dining restaurants, where entertainment is included in the price), house charges, imaging, etc. Merchandise will only be included in the total food and beverage price for the purpose of gratuity calculation if the Server is required by the Company to handle and deliver merchandise items to the guest as part of the Guest’s dining experience. Gratuities will not be paid on autograph books, pens and disposable cameras.
2. The eighteen percent (18%) automatic gratuity for all new and existing package plans, to include the Disney Dining Plan, will be eliminated effective January 1, 2008.
3. Should the Company decide to reinstate package plans with automatic gratuity included, the parties agree the terms of the addendum expiring on April, 28, 2007 will remain in effect.
4. An automatic gratuity of eighteen percent (18%) will be added for supplemental food and beverage purchased at prepaid venues (i.e., Spirit of Aloha, Hoop-Dee-Doo, Cinderella’s Royal Table, Princess Tea, Special Pre-paid events such as New Year’s Eve at California Grill).
5. A guaranteed three percent (3%) service charge will be added on the retail value of the meal for all Disney Dining Plan guests for parties of less than six (6), effective January 1, 2008 to December 31, 2008
6. A guaranteed three percent (3%) service charge will be added on the retail value of the meal for all Disney Dining Plan guests for parties of less than six (6), effective January 1, 2009 to December 31, 2009.
7. A guaranteed two percent (2%) service charge will be added on the retail value of the meal for all Disney Dining Plan guests for parties of less than six (6), effective January 1, 2010 through the end of the 2007 Collective Bargaining Agreement.
8. The Company agrees to negotiate with the Union, the application of the automatic gratuity for any future pre-paid venues, for the life of this agreement.
9. Where there are menu boards available, the verbiage “Gratuity Not Included’ will be added to the menu boards, by September 30, 2007, at outside bar locations in Disney’s MGM Studios, Disney’s Animal Kingdom, Disney’s Wide World of Sports, the Margarita Bar at Downtown Disney, and pool bars.
10. A three dollar ($3.00) fee will be paid for delivery of Private Dining amenities.
11. An automatic eighteen percent (18%) will be added for food and beverage purchased from the Golf Carts, Pizza Delivery and Private Dining.
12. It is the Company's understanding that when a business requires their guests to pay a Pre-determined charge, which is given to employees of the business, the charges are considered a service charge. Furthermore, service charges are not considered a tip, but rather, are wages paid by the employer. Consequently, the tax code requires the Company to withhold taxes on all service charges.
13. The Company's position with regard to tips has not changed. It is the responsibility of all service persons to report one-hundred percent (100%) of their tips and gratuities for income tax purposes. The Company will continue to report eight percent (8%) of the location's gross sales to the government and will withhold tax on the tips and gratuities declared by the employee to the Company. The Company reserves the right to amend and/or alter this position to conform to state and federal laws.
14. Under Wage and Hour laws, the Company is required to report tips and service charges in overtime situations.
15. An eighteen percent (18%) service charge will be added for Company sponsored Cast discounts, e.g. Cast Serving Cast, Cast discounted meals, and Cast Celebration discounted meals. The service charge will be based on the total Food and Beverage charges before any discounts have been applied. This provision does not apply to Disney Dining Experience and Disney Vacation Club. Effective January 1, 2008, the eighteen percent (18%) service charge for all existing and new package plans, including Disney Dining Plan, supplemental Food and/or Beverage purchased and consumed by the guest covered by the package plan will be discontinued. Effective January 1, 2008, an automatic gratuity of eighteen percent (18%) will be added for all guests on the Disney Dining Experience discount program, based on the retail value of the Food and Beverage.

Disneyfanman

AMEN. I was getting ready to type a long post explaining exactly that, but you've managed to shorten it to one sentence. If Disney thinks they can tack on an 18% surcharge and keep their business, they're sadly mistaken. I have 3 PS reservations for my January trip, and if they think I'll keep them with this JOKE of a rule they're wrong. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

A tip is a tip. It's very definition suggests it should be based SOLELY on the level of service provided. If your server paid no attention to you, left you alone for the entire meal, was rude, etc...they deserve nothing.........that's right.....nothing. They made no attempt to do their job, and for that they should be rewarded with a $0.00 where the tip is usually written. Too many servers think they DESERVE a tip as part of their regular wage, and they do..........if they earn it with good service.

But surely people can understand the problem with the DDE/DDP plans. If the servers are getting under compensated, then the service would suffer for those guests. Servers count on the tips as part of their income. So I think Disney is tackling that problem with the 18% "surcharge". I don't use either plan, so I tip based on service, and on the actual bill. But I can understand the potential problem. The question is whether or not Disney is charging everyone that same 18%. I am guessing that they are not because it would be stupid to do so. I guess I will find out in 5 weeks.

Disneyfanman

http://servicetradescouncil.org/2007 STC Full Time CBA.doc

Again....you can read the contract here....see document page 65 (contract page 58)

this was a demand by the union.....nothing to do with beancounters or management....this is about keeping the cheaper segments of the population from stiffing the servers....this is about taking care of the cast members.

Oh......OK. It makes more sense now. It really sounds like the poor slobs (me) without deep discounts or DDP can still calculate our own tips.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
With this I spoke with my wallet. I mailed my card back to Disney and then called American Express to refuse my DDE charge, and have already gotten my refund. I won't pay for this especially since I never received prior notice to this change.

Come my next trip to WDW in December, I will pay full price for my meals and base my tip on what I feel the CM deserves.

danv3

Disney could have solved this by just paying servers more per hour and increasing prices marginally. That contract is ridiculous, and will only upset guests when they see the mandatory service charge.

speck76

Disney could have solved this by just paying servers more per hour and increasing prices marginally. That contract is ridiculous, and will only upset guests when they see the mandatory service charge.
the servers will make out better this way than they would with an increase in base pay

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
With this I spoke with my wallet. I mailed my card back to Disney and then called American Express to refuse my DDE charge, and have already gotten my refund. I won't pay for this especially since I never received prior notice to this change.

Come my next trip to WDW in December, I will pay full price for my meals and base my tip on what I feel the CM deserves.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Even with this tip being added, DDE is still going to save me money.

Assume for a moment I'm a horrible customer and never tip:

As an AP holder, my DDE cost me $60. I am now forced to tip 18%. So, after ~$300 in meals, my $60 payment has fully covered the compulsory tip and then some. Now, I get my meals for approximately 2% cheaper thereafter without adding any tip at all. So as long as during the time-frame covered by my DDE membership I spend at least $300 on meals for myself and potentially 9 others, I'm ahead of the game!:shrug:

"Protesting" by sending a card back and refusing to pay for DDE [an organization that had nothing to do with the tipping controversy I might add], thus ultimately paying more for the privilege of potentially tipping less strikes me as counterintuitive.

But then, logic and emotion don't usually play well together anyway, do they? :lol:

Maerj

Okay guys, here is what WDW just sent to me via email:

Thank you for contacting us.

We appreciate your interest in the policy change regarding gratuity at
our food and beverage locations. We apologize if the information
created some confusion. The 18% gratuity will be included when Guests
are parties of six or more enjoy dining experiences at our Table Service
locations or if Guests are members of the exclusive Disney Dining
Experience, a dining discount program for eligible Florida Residents and
Annual Passholders 21 years of age and older.

Your comments are very important to us and we assure you that they have
been shared with the appropriate areas. We look forward to showcasing
our finest food and beverage experiences with you.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact us.

Sincerely,

Executive Offices
Walt Disney World Resort

Maerj

Which Mickey soaps are you referring to as I still got them and I was there last weekend?

People on here have been saying that they don't have the Mickey soaps/shampoo anymore. They were saying that they are getting supplied from another company with blue, generic labels.

So, it doesn't sound as bad as we thought as far as the dining plan but still... I know my wife's sister has 5 kids so with 7 people total it looks like they would get hit with the automatic 18% which could be a lot of money for them.

danv3

the servers will make out better this way than they would with an increase in base pay

Depends on how much you increase the base pay.

Still seems to me that the contract between Disney and its employees should focus on Disney and its employees, not how much Disney charges its customers. Employees should negotiate with their employers for wages and negotiate (by service) with customers for tips.

The real winner here is the government, as now virtually all tips will run through payroll, and thus be taxed up front.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom