Christmas and New Year 2013 capacity phased closings and wait times

ParentsOf4

The YC self parking was at best 1/3 full. I'd say BC was at around 50% with BCVs at 1/3 or so. BW was definitely no more than 50%. I'd guess that the crowd at Storm-a-long Bay was fewer than 150 or so guests.

On top of that, we overheard a Boardwalk CM tell another day guest that they had "plenty" of rooms available. These resorts should have been sellouts months ago but certainly by day of.

And the parking situation at these hotels was pretty consistent with what I've been seeing for all of 2013. Makes me wonder if possibly the price tipping point has finally been reached with some healthy segment of the public.
Thanks for posting your observations at the Epcot Resorts.

This Christmas, a Standard View Beach Club room is $660/night and prices for other rooms only go up from there.

Yeah, they just might have reached a tipping point. I nearly fell over when I saw those prices. :D

JimboJones123

I bolded the above because I find the comment interesting and it comports with what I've seen.

We paid our annual Christmas afternoon visit to the Epcot resorts yesterday. None of the three Disney hotels had out any of their A-frame signs saying that parking was for resort guests only.

The YC self parking was at best 1/3 full. I'd say BC was at around 50% with BCVs at 1/3 or so. BW was definitely no more than 50%. I'd guess that the crowd at Storm-a-long Bay was fewer than 150 or so guests.

On top of that, we overheard a Boardwalk CM tell another day guest that they had "plenty" of rooms available. These resorts should have been sellouts months ago but certainly by day of.

And the parking situation at these hotels was pretty consistent with what I've been seeing for all of 2013. Makes me wonder if possibly the price tipping point has finally been reached with some healthy segment of the public.
The Poly parking lot was VERY empty on Christmas Eve. As was the lobby. Maybe we are seeing a point where guests just do not want to pay an AP a night for lodging.

PolynesianPrincess

Thanks for posting your observations at the Epcot Resorts.

This Christmas, a Standard View Beach Club room is $660/night and prices for other rooms only go up from there.

Yeah, they just might have reached a tipping point. I nearly fell over when I saw those prices. :D

I hope they have reached a tipping point! Those prices are insane for what you actually get! One would think that with the resorts not being completely full and more cars in the MK parking lot that lots of people are staying cheaper off-site and renting a car. Disney definitely doesn't want that!! Rental cars for guests staying on property = more flexibility to venture off property = less $$$ for Disney. Then add in people staying off site with rental cars = more lost $$$ for Disney. Hopefully they have reached a point where prices are just too high and people aren't willing to pay them anymore.

Kind of off subject, I know February is a slow time but I was reading on a thread on here that someone was trying to book a deluxe for the first week of february and they were pretty much all showing no availability. Now you and I both know that all the deluxe resorts are not booked full. Not in early February. They are just blocking off rooms to save money now and not using them. I'm wondering if the reason they are targeting the deluxe resorts is because they know they would have a better chance of someone paying for a moderate if there are no deluxes than they would of having someone pay for a deluxe if no moderates are available. This is just further proof that the prices are just too high. Especially when you can get some great deals staying off-site.

Crazydisneyfanluke

I was looking into prices of the hotels for a small vacation at the world with my niece and found that all the hotels are to expensive for one night, so i found a off-site hotel for less and was 3-4 stars for about 50 bucks a night.

Every year it seems to be harder to find a offsite hotel around this time, but Disney still has plenty of rooms.... strange. I guess people want to visit other places instead!

John

The theory here is that "Disney has reached the tipping point"....well yeaaaaa! They seen this coming. Disney is very adapt at future bookings etc. WHy do you think someone came up with FP+. No it isn't to make your visit so much more Magical. Its to find ways to hook you into staying on property. Its an illusion. As PO4 has mentioned over and over. For some guest it will be a plus....for others it will be a detraction. So if you add it all up its a push. Disney knew what they were getting into. They knew the off-site guest would be basically be SOL when it came to FP+. I believe it was calculated, there was to much money involved.

Of course what we are seeing is that people are staying off property. People love WDW and continue to come. But give the consumer a little credit. The continue decline in value to stay on property such as the decline in value of the DDP, not to mention the decline in quality of food. The decline in the resorts themselves. The DVC-ification of the resorts. GF being the biggest example. ALl of this and more has lead to this people staying of-property. Someone give me a reason to stay on property? The so called "magical bubble"? This is eroding just as fast. Who wants to take the resort busses anymore? Monorail? We have had cut in service not to mention maintenance. General ambiance? See Poly.

I dearly love WDW but the evidence is there, its all there to see. We heard years ago that Iger was going to reel in the discounts. We seen more, not only to people count on them they expect them. Some only will visit if they receive them. Does anybody see a real value in FP+? Maybe in the future but not now. Its the busiest season of the year and what we are hearing is the resorts are less then capacity.....that says A LOT!

grimb168

Yes yes yes
Disney is one company that has and will always do much research. They understood that people were staying off property in greater numbers each year. FD+ is being used for the on site guest. Book your dinner and rides before everyone else. As a DVC member we see these resorts filled while the others remain open. People are filling the values and mods but not willing to hand over the big money for the other resorts. Is this why we are seeing DVC in these resorts. At least they can put butts in the beds with DVCs

Jakester

Would anyone have pictures of this years crowds? Wanted to show my kids how crowded it really gets this time of year.
Epcot on 12-27-2013 over by The Seas
image.jpg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Am I understanding this right? The MK parking lot has been filling to capacity but the park isn't? On Christmas???
Figures and closings seem..... weird... this year. Closed lot but no phases at the MK? Either someone made a huge mistake or the park should have gone to phasing more often. Unless they didn't want to stop people entering for whatever reason. Add to that reports of well below expected attendance figures swinging to nightmare crowding reports and something doesn't quite add up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom