Christmas and New Year 2013 capacity phased closings and wait times

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
The Boy Who Lived is raking the cars in.

BcvK9YWIcAA2lQ3.jpg:large

maxairmike

Figures and closings seem..... weird... this year. Closed lot but no phases at the MK? Either someone made a huge mistake or the park should have gone to phasing more often. Unless they didn't want to stop people entering for whatever reason. Add to that reports of well below expected attendance figures swinging to nightmare crowding reports and something doesn't quite add up.

They botched up the parking situation at MK on Christmas Eve by not even opening a section of the lot, keeping the trams parked there during the afternoon lull in tram usage (4 of them parked), and I wouldn't be surprised if they've continued to do so. I think the very open and chaotic touch points are adding to the issue of the inconsistencies we've seen this holiday season. How do you handle a Phase 2 or above (when you start seeing a lot of people refused entry) when you have no physical barrier but still need to keep a section open for outgoing guests? NYE is going to be interesting, I think.

JimboJones123

Heading to MK tonight for NYE preview. Then New Years Day morning at Epcot. I will not touch any one of the parks on NYE again. It is just far too late for about 80% of the guests still at the park.

jrh1985

Yeah, but do they have a stunning Fireworks show at 11:50 tonight? :)
Too bad there are no traffic cameras on world drive! Would be interesting to see how MK, Ramp to EPCOT and DHS looks. Then again that pic above may be how every park toll both in orlando looks like every day around 8,8:30,9:00 in the morning.

pheneix

Universal Orlando is a great week. The "I4/Universal Traffic Jam" has been a daily event since Dec 20th or so.

BTW, for the home gamers, this is UO's south toll plaza, the one that is not in use on low attendance days and rather hard to find even when they want cars to use it.

That's also Magic Kingdom sized guest flow in every sense of the word. Again, at Universal's "alternate" toll plaza. The smaller one.

pheneix

Figures and closings seem..... weird... this year. Closed lot but no phases at the MK? Either someone made a huge mistake or the park should have gone to phasing more often. Unless they didn't want to stop people entering for whatever reason. Add to that reports of well below expected attendance figures swinging to nightmare crowding reports and something doesn't quite add up.

MK parking problems..... Didn't they rip out a huge chunk of the parking lot to build that race track? They had determined at the time that since so many of MK's guests would be arriving by Disney Transit, having all the parking space was a waste of land?

I wonder what happened that would force the "drive-in" market to make up so much of MK's attendance now. Hmmm....

Mouse_Trap

Thanks for posting your observations at the Epcot Resorts.

This Christmas, a Standard View Beach Club room is $660/night and prices for other rooms only go up from there.

Yeah, they just might have reached a tipping point. I nearly fell over when I saw those prices. :D

That's crazy money, unless you are so rich that money isn't a concern - why would you pay those prices?
You can get a very nice 2/3 bedroom villa just a few miles offsite for more like $100-120 a night.

sweetpee_1993

Just seems really weird. I couldn't remember more of the MK lots being taken out since last year. Truly, I'm sitting here scratching my head.

A friend if ours who is a DVC owner was down the week before Christmas. They've gone at that time of year several times. He told us it was a lot less crazy busy than they expected.

Very confusing indeed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Universal Orlando is a great week. The "I4/Universal Traffic Jam" has been a daily event since Dec 20th or so.

BTW, for the home gamers, this is UO's south toll plaza, the one that is not in use on low attendance days and rather hard to find even when they want cars to use it.

That's also Magic Kingdom sized guest flow in every sense of the word. Again, at Universal's "alternate" toll plaza. The smaller one.
Indeed. I've been sent photos of the regular toll plaza and it's just as bad. Just seen touringplans blog with photos about crowds at IOA this week. Seems as bad if not worse than the ones posted above.

71jason

My guess is the "leave 12/26, return New Year's Day (or a day or two later)" crowd has shifted to exclusively this week rather than last week. A hunch right now, let's see how it plays out.

mimitchi33

According to those pictures of the parks you've taken, it looks like an average summer weekend to me, with a few exceptions.

dqkhmu.jpg

I'd also like to point out that the Universal Traffic Jam also happened 2 years ago as well.
wdwmagic
Soarin' has a 160min wait time currently and how about a 35min wait for Imagination!
12/30/13, 11:18 AM
There have been worse Figment wait times than that one you just posted. Also, I feel sorry for the people who had to wait nearly 3 hours for Soarin' today.
I have heard that Studios may close within the hour.
What phase is Hollywood Studios currently at? I'm just wondering.
"Empty" is hyperbole, but more Summer crowd than holiday crowd for sure. EPCOT would be worse any weekend in Food & Wine or even during Marathon Weekend.
I agree with this. It looks more like my last trip to Disneyland than an average Christmas/New Year's crowd.

Here are more wait times, for those interested:

Magic Kingdom:
  • 115 minutes for Space Mountain
  • 85 minutes for Buzz Lightyear
  • 80 minutes for Splash Mountain
  • 75 minutes for Peter Pan's Flight
  • 70 minutes for Big Thunder Mountain and Under The Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid
  • 65 minutes for Enchanted Tales With Belle
  • 50 minutes for The Barnstormer
  • 45 minutes for Dumbo
  • 40 minutes for Astro Orbiter
  • 35 minutes for Haunted Mansion and Tommorowland Speedway
  • 30 minutes for Pirates of the Carribean and Stitch's Great Escape
  • 25 minutes for Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, Aladdin's Magic Carpets and Mad Tea Party
  • 15 minutes for Enchanted Tiki Room
  • 10 minutes for Carousel of Progress and the Prince Charming Carousel
  • 5 minutes for Tommorowland Transit Authority
Hollywood Studios:
  • 120 minutes for Rock N' Roller Coaster
  • 110 minutes for Toy Story Mania
  • 100 minutes Tower of Terror
  • 50 minutes for Star Tours
  • 35 minutes for The Great Movie Ride
  • 25 minutes for Studio Backlot Tour
  • 15 for MuppetVision 3D and Voyage of the Little Mermaid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom