Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Launchpad McQuack

I still can't believe this makeover is actually a possibility. It's made me sick for days. I swear to God I'll never visit DHS again if this happens. I won't even stay at WDW again if this happens. I'll stay at Universal instead, and maybe, MAYBE, visit WDW's Magic Kingdom via Meers shuttles.

This cheered me up a little...the Walt Disney World twitter is having a March Madness Matchup thing...and the latest matchup is between the Expedition Everest Yetis and the Tower of Terror Bellhops. Check out some of the commentary here: https://twitter.com/WaltDisneyWorld/status/713722459778899968?lang=en

Broken Yeti, destroyed Tower...yeah, way to rack up those brownie points, Disney! Nothing is secret in the Twitterverse!

One of those Guardians tweets is mine, so it's good to see that other people are actually seeing them.

CrescentLake

Not broken. Not fixed yet but it's on it's way. Did you visit in 2002? I did. There was a position just outside Cinemagique where you could stand and see all four edges of the park boundary from onstage. I won't call it seeing the berm since it wasn't even a berm.

It has changed for the better almost beyond almost all recognition now. But it still has a long way to go. Hopefully the work over the next 18 months will help too.

Work over the next 18 months? Anything you can share?

For the record, I visited DLP last year for the very first time. Loved the resort and both parks, and I while I definitely thought WDSP was a weak park and had some huge issues, I didn't think it was as bad as everyone said. With a few new rides, a slightly improved layout, and above all, place-making, it could be great.

stretchsje

Jim Hill chimes in, says the situation is complicated (starts about 14 minutes in):
https://disneydish.bandcamp.com/track/guardians-of-the-galaxy-rumors

According to Jim, Guardians will not be able to be used east of the Mississippi once they become part of the Avenger's universe in the Infinity Wars movies. He cites page 10 of the contract:
East of The Mississippi - any other theme park is limited to using characters not currently being used by MCA at the time such other license is granted. [For purpose of this subsection and subsection iv, a character is “being used by MCA” if (x) it or another character of the same “family” (e.g., any member of THE FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS or villains associated with a hero being used) is more than an incidental element of an attraction, is presented as a costumed character, or is more than an incidental element of the theming of a retail store or food facility; and, (y) in addition, if such character or another character from the same “family” is an element in any MCA marketing during the previous year. Any character who is only used as a costume character will not be considered to be “being used by MCA” unless it appears as more than an incidental element in MCA’s marketing.]
So, this would have to be a temporary overlay and out by the time Infinity War movies are are released to theaters in 2018 and 2019 because in those movies, the Guardians of the Galaxy fight alongside the Avengers as they battle Thanos. That then makes the Guardians part of the extended Avengers family which would breach the contract if those characters were used in Orlando.

Disney's California Adventure, which is obviously west of the Mississippi and can use the Avengers characters, will be getting the Guardians overlay because of the tower's proximity to the expansion pod which is planned for broader Marvel expansion. Not much was said on how permanent of a transformation this would be but they did still call it an overlay.

As for Orlando, this is Bob Chapek trying to do right by bringing parity between the coasts as a response to all the outrage he saw over "Orlando getting screwed" out of Hyperspace Mountain, which is a popular Anaheim exclusive that wouldn't have thematically made sense in Orlando since Star Wars and Space Mountain don't live in the same park in Florida. Chapek saw all the complaints and didn't want to repeat the mistake- so good intentions, reportedly.

Jim Concludes that his "Magic 8 Ball says no [to the overlay's installation in Orlando]" because of the powerful reaction to the idea. If so, congrats everyone.

Last edited:

Mike S

Jim Hill chimes in, says the situation is complicated (starts about 14 minutes in):

According to Jim, Guardians will not be able to be used east of the Mississippi once they become part of the Avenger's universe in the Infinity Wars movies. He cites page 10 of the contract:

So, this would have to be a temporary overlay and out by the time Infinity War movies are are released to theaters in 2018 and 2019 because in those movies, the Guardians of the Galaxy fight alongside the Avengers as they fight Thanos. That then makes the Guardians part of the extended Avengers family which would breach the contract if those characters were used in Orlando (unless a new contract was brokered).

Disneyland, which is obviously west of the Mississippi and can use the Avengers characters, will be getting the Guardians overlay because of the tower's proximity to the expansion pod which is planned for broader Marvel expansion. Not much was said on how permanent of a transformation this would be but they did still call it an overlay.

As for Orlando, this is Bob Chapek trying to do right by bringing parity between the coasts as a response to all the outrage he saw over "Orlando getting screwed" out of Hyperspace Mountain, which is a popular Anaheim exclusive that wouldn't have thematically made sense in Orlando since Star Wars and Space Mountain don't live in the same park in Florida. Chapek saw all the complaints and didn't want to repeat the mistake- so good intentions, reportedly.

Jim Concludes that his "Magic 8 Ball says no [to the overlay's installation in Orlando]" because of the powerful reaction to the idea. If so, congrats everyone.
If this is in any way true I would've been all for a temporary overlay of Rock n' Roller Coaster, Star Wars or Guardians.

And if we really did beat this back,
self-five.gif

Haymarket2008

So, this would have to be a temporary overlay and out by the time Infinity War movies are are released to theaters in 2018 and 2019 because in those movies, the Guardians of the Galaxy fight alongside the Avengers as they battle Thanos. That then makes the Guardians part of the extended Avengers family which would breach the contract if those characters were used in Orlando.

Disney's California Adventure, which is obviously west of the Mississippi and can use the Avengers characters, will be getting the Guardians overlay because of the tower's proximity to the expansion pod which is planned for broader Marvel expansion. Not much was said on how permanent of a transformation this would be but they did still call it an overlay.

I believe it. 100%. If it is indeed true, glad they are listening.

TalkingHead

As for Orlando, this is Bob Chapek trying to do right by bringing parity between the coasts as a response to all the outrage he saw over "Orlando getting screwed" out of Hyperspace Mountain, which is a popular Anaheim exclusive that wouldn't have thematically made sense in Orlando since Star Wars and Space Mountain don't live in the same park in Florida.

This sounds completely bogus.

WDW didn't add Hyperspace because of thematic integrity or because Star Wars doesn't "live" in MK...

I get that ads have pushed the SW-DHS connection, but if this had been planned, MK could have partaken in the SW hype. I don't buy it.

stretchsje

The news to me here is:
  • Guardians can't be used after the Avengers team-up? That really sucks. I was really hoping for some sort of permanent Marvel presence in Orlando, and not Big Hero 6. My understanding of the contract was that this was locked in time and the Avengers "family" was defined as it existed in the 90's when the contract was signed. How was Disney ever considering a Guardians ride in The Great Movie Ride building if they weren't going to be able to use those characters beyond Infinity Wars? Were there contract renegotiation that fell through? (A previous Spirit thread said relations between Disney and Universal were very favorable, so maybe?)
  • Bob Chapek reads his mail. Which is good. We'll soon see how he responds.

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

Sorry, I don't buy it. Disney legal must think GOTG can pass muster for some time or there wouldn't be any consideration for use in Orlando.

Also Hyperspace Mountain didn't go to WDW because their Space doesn't have onboard audio or the projection infrastructure DL's has. They literally CAN'T do Hyperspace Mountain there. As if Chapek cares about Star Wars theming in multiple parks?

FigmentForver96

Hahah he didn't want Orlando to be screwed over so he decides screwing up the best ride in the park would be wise.....oh management.

DoTheImpossible

I'm only a 1L, but I did alright in Contracts, and nothing in that language leads me to believe there would be such a restriction for Orlando. I could be wrong but I suppose we'll see. Being in the Avengers does not make the GotG part of the Avengers family. But I'm not gonna get into the weeds, there are dozens of pages on numberous posts that do that for me. I'll take no overlay regardless of the reason.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Also Hyperspace Mountain didn't go to WDW because their Space doesn't have onboard audio or the projection infrastructure DL's has. They literally CAN'T do Hyperspace Mountain there. As if Chapek cares about Star Wars theming in multiple parks?

I may be wrong because Im generally NFI about such things, but Im sure Marni had a melt down because the audio and other bits were cut during the supposed upgrade.
Marvel and DC etc, just boak inducing.

CDavid

I'm certainly no lawyer, but I'm not buying Jim's arguments above. While I also don't mean to open the can of worms which is forum speculation on just what constitutes a character family, it doesn't seem reasonable that merely appearing with the Avengers (in the comic or movies) would necessarily make them part of the family. Regardless, there is the little clause "any other theme park is limited to using characters not currently being used by MCA at the time such other license is granted" (emphasis mine) and right now, The Guardians are not members of The Avengers (and thus Universal has no claim on them).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom