Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

BrerJon

I think the contrast to the gorgeous main park next door doesn't help at all but ride wise it currently arguably has a better lineup than DHS.

I think lots of people who claim DHS is better than Paris haven't actually been there. Paris has a tram tour, a Lights Motors Action show, Ratatouille, Crush, Toy Story Land, Armageddon and Cinemagique... there's lots that it has that DHS doesn't. DHS has the Muppets, One Man's Dream and Toy Story Mania, but that's about it.

Mike S

I think lots of people who claim DHS is better than Paris haven't actually been there. Paris has a tram tour, a Lights Motors Action show, Ratatouille, Crush, Toy Story Land, Armageddon and Cinemagique... there's lots that it has that DHS doesn't. DHS has the Muppets, One Man's Dream and Toy Story Mania, but that's about it.
Great Movie Ride and Indiana Jones too.

EPCOTCenterLover

DHS is much better than WDSP. At least it used to be. And, yes, I've been to both. DHS is a much prettier park with better attractions, dining, and shopping. WDSP is a mismatch of ideas and theming. A very poor excuse for a Disney park. Even DCA 1.0 was far better- and that is saying something.

Last edited:

BrianLo

I think lots of people who claim DHS is better than Paris haven't actually been there.

WDSP is a horrifically broken park, it's rotten to its very foundation. Far more than DCA ever was. DHS actually has a foundation and then it pretty much stops right there.

Eventually they will keep putting enough lip stick on the pig (WDSP) until it's the prettiest pig at the state fair. DHS lacks attractions, but the entire park doesn't need to be bulldozed over to fix it... just half of it.

All of that said, I prefer the pretty pig to whatever DHS is right now. But, I know DHS will be a nice park in five years. WDSP will still just be a fancy pig.

Or, put another way, WDSP is an amusement park. I don't know if it will ever manage to become a theme park.

DVC91

there's lots that it has that DHS doesn't. DHS has the Muppets, One Man's Dream and Toy Story Mania, but that's about it.

With each visit to DHS, I'm finding it harder and harder to use TSM as a boasting point. The last time I got in line for it, the wait time said 40 min, there really was no line for the most part, so I figured it would be less, and it ended up being nearly 2.5hrs.

I submit that it be renamed to "Standing in Line: The Ride"

BrerJon

DHS is much better than WDSP. At least it used to be. And, yes, I've been to both. DHS is a much prettier park with better attractions, dining, and shopping. WDSP is a mismatch of ideas and theming. A very poor excuse for a Disney park. Even DCA 1.0 was far better- and that is saying something.

I wasn't talking about how it used to be, but comparing the parks *today*.

Sure, back in the MGM days that was an amazing park, but today, with so many shuttered and creaking attractions in DHS, DSP wins hands down. This will change as new things are eventually built, but a guest visiting the two in April 2016 would be hard pushed to find much to rave about in DHS.

Even just comparing value for money, DSP costs about $80 for a day ticket and DHS is about $105, so just on that Paris wins.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
WDSP is a horrifically broken park
Not broken. Not fixed yet but it's on it's way. Did you visit in 2002? I did. There was a position just outside Cinemagique where you could stand and see all four edges of the park boundary from onstage. I won't call it seeing the berm since it wasn't even a berm.

It has changed for the better almost beyond almost all recognition now. But it still has a long way to go. Hopefully the work over the next 18 months will help too.

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Not for nothing, but....

If they do re-theme the ToT to GotG...

They don't need to pull a scene from the movie. If they are gonna desecrate the attraction, at least tell an original story.

BrianLo

Not broken. Not fixed yet but it's on it's way. Did you visit in 2002? I did. There was a position just outside Cinemagique where you could stand and see all four edges of the park boundary from onstage. I won't call it seeing the berm since it wasn't even a berm.

Ya, it complete boggles my mind what they 'opened' in 2002. My first taste of DLRP was 2013 - which was certainly a nicer WDSP at the behest of a completely run down DLP.

I'm being unnecessarily harsh on it, I did have a good time in January! I will say they certainly have somehow scrounged up money to make it better since then.

Times may be dark, but they aren't yet dark enough to allow a project like WDSP circa 2002 to occur. Let's hope we never get back there again!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Times may be dark, but they aren't yet dark enough to allow a project like WDSP circa 2002 to occur. Let's hope we never get back there again!
Oh absolutely. Everything was low budget driven. And then Eisner commented (off the record) "maybe we did build it too small" - on opening eve. Not in his defence, but they had to have the park open when it did. MGM Europe for various reasons was deemed undo able. So they went with the cheapest bare minimum possible with the hope of fleshing it out later. And it showed.

The danger is also swinging the other way - blow the money on style and have nothing left for the substance. Something they haven't learnt either As we can see elsewhere.

WDW1974

Original Poster
If you have a number I would leave the guy a message every day.

I have Chappie's personal contact info. I just don't want to be the one that gives it to you. I'm sorry, but there are individuals with personal animus to me that work high in this company. They could say I'm putting it out so people can harass or threaten him or the like. Yes, it would all be BS, but that is how Disney operates. I am sure you can find a CM here who can, at the very least, put you in touch with his office.

WDW1974

Original Poster
BTW, I just noticed this thread has 102 FB likes. That is astounding to me.

I have put out far juicier and meatier threads that have gone on for months and generated 4-5 likes ... clearly, the fan community is either nearing a breaking point ... or y'all just have become Marvel fans and want a talking raccoon in your Towers. I do not.

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 Any thoughts as to why TOT over say RnRC? Is it the contract with CBS is set to expire sooner than any licensing agreement with Aerosmith?
I'm trying to wrap my head around it, as we all seem to think a GOTG overlay would work better in RnRC over TOT. Also it seems fan backlash would be minimal. Would it be easier because if they do DL first, its cheaper just to copy than design and create new for RnRC?
I know how you feel, but have you heard anything "inside" regarding this?

The CBS license is a small side item. Like an added 'benefit' if you will ... I can only say what I know: that this idea came together very quickly when Bob Iger decided to stall the DCA Marvel Land due to ongoing issues in Shanghai. This was viewed as cheap and easy ... and a very quick way to get Marvel IP into BOTH US resorts.

There has been talk of RnRC changes, including a Spidey one for Paris for years now. But none of it has been very serious. And the Captain America themed hybrid dark ride/coaster has totally removed a RnRC clone from DCA's future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom