Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

lazyboy97o

I don't know how accurate this is, but I always enjoy a good Venn.

3041693-inline-i-1-marvel-rights.png
That is films, not theme parks.

FigmentJedi

Also Hyperspace Mountain didn't go to WDW because their Space doesn't have onboard audio or the projection infrastructure DL's has. They literally CAN'T do Hyperspace Mountain there. As if Chapek cares about Star Wars theming in multiple parks?

I may be wrong because Im generally NFI about such things, but Im sure Marni had a melt down because the audio and other bits were cut during the supposed upgrade.
Marvel and DC etc, just boak inducing.

It's not onboard, but doesn't WDW's Space have that stupid "Speakers lined up along the track" setup for their dumb "Let's score Space Mountain like its Rainbow Road in Mario Kart" thing? That could probably be adapted for a half-baked version of the audio portions of HSM

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm certainly no lawyer, but I'm not buying Jim's arguments above. While I also don't mean to open the can of worms which is forum speculation on just what constitutes a character family, it doesn't seem reasonable that merely appearing with the Avengers (in the comic or movies) would necessarily make them part of the family. Regardless, there is the little clause "any other theme park is limited to using characters not currently being used by MCA at the time such other license is granted" (emphasis mine) and right now, The Guardians are not members of The Avengers (and thus Universal has no claim on them).

This discussion came up a couple days ago. The contract doesn't make it clear if the exclusivity is based on the makeup of the families is it was at the time the contract was made, or can it change over time. It also doesn't make clear how much of a connection is needed between characters to make them part of a family.

Bairstow

Well spotted.

In that case, enjoy the useless venn.

What's going to be really interesting is to see what direction Universal Creative chooses to go with during the renovation of the Hulk queue and whether they will choose an aesthetic that is more in line with the character's depiction in the recent films. I was never clear on whether Universal has a contractual license to utilize IP specific to the Marvel Studios films and/or whether it matters if the films in question were produced before or after the Disney acquisition.

It would seem clear that Universal's license does not grant them rights to base anything directly off the Sony versions of the characters.

Mike S

What's going to be really interesting is to see what direction Universal Creative chooses to go with during the renovation of the Hulk queue and whether they will choose an aesthetic that is more in line with the character's depiction in the recent films. I was never clear on whether Universal has a contractual license to utilize IP specific to the Marvel Studios films and/or whether it matters if the films in question were produced before or after the Disney acquisition.

It would seem clear that Universal's license does not grant them rights to base anything directly off the Sony versions of the characters.
The Sony depiction of Spider-Man is all over the gift shop though. Even in statue form.

Bairstow

The Sony depiction of Spider-Man is all over the gift shop though. Even in statue form.

There seems to be a distinction made between facility IP and merchandise in theme parks generally.
After all, it's not too uncommon to find Disney merch for sale at Six Flags.

Brer Panther

As for Orlando, this is Bob Chapek trying to do right by bringing parity between the coasts as a response to all the outrage he saw over "Orlando getting screwed" out of Hyperspace Mountain, which is a popular Anaheim exclusive that wouldn't have thematically made sense in Orlando since Star Wars and Space Mountain don't live in the same park in Florida. Chapek saw all the complaints and didn't want to repeat the mistake- so good intentions, reportedly.
If nothing else, we should give Bob credit for trying to make sure that neither of us felt left out.

Captain Neo

I don't know how accurate this is, but I always enjoy a good Venn.

3041693-inline-i-1-marvel-rights.png

Slightly inaccurate. Hulk is shared with Universal which is why there hasnt been a new Hulk film Post-Avengers because Universal holds the distribution rights. Spider-Man, while a Sony Pictures property, is now shared with Marvel Studios per a contract negotiation. Also, I'm not 100% but I believe Marvel got the rights to Man-Thing back.

Mike S

There seems to be a distinction made between facility IP and merchandise in theme parks generally.
After all, it's not too uncommon to find Disney merch for sale at Six Flags.
I'm not talking merch for sale. There's a huge statue of Tobey Maguire Spidey in there. Also on the walls.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I wasn't talking about how it used to be, but comparing the parks *today*.

Sure, back in the MGM days that was an amazing park, but today, with so many shuttered and creaking attractions in DHS, DSP wins hands down. This will change as new things are eventually built, but a guest visiting the two in April 2016 would be hard pushed to find much to rave about in DHS.

Even just comparing value for money, DSP costs about $80 for a day ticket and DHS is about $105, so just on that Paris wins.

The WDSP is the ugliest, cheapest park Disney has ever built. But for value and quality and attractions today? It wins hands down versus The Corpse of The Disney-MGM Studios. No comparison. You can finally spend an entire day there. And you have plenty to do. It even isn't nearly as ugly as it was ... oh, and you can often get the park for less if you buy in advance online due to their version of surge pricing (which isn't simply "screw the customer" pricing that they have now in the US parks).

WDW1974

Original Poster
Like when "If You Had Wings" was turned into "If You Could Fly." The theme song serendipitously unified the attraction and made it more than an omnimover past the loudest assortment of 1000 film projectors clattering away into a unique and influential attraction.

Great example. When you overlay something different onto an existing attraction you have to be careful. Flight to The Moon/Mission to Mars was never a great attraction, but it worked for a while. When the 90s came and Tomorrowland was redone Disney went for something very different using the existing infrastructure in Alien Encounter and, while some people had issues, it was quite successful creatively and pretty popular. Then came the idea of getting rid of mommies with special needs 8-year-olds complaints and adding Stitch (who was hugely popular at the time) into the MK quickly and cheaply. We all know how that turned out.

This is more Stitch than Alien. And that is what GotG could be. This is desired because it is cheap and easy (I'll add creatively lazy as well) and gets Marvel into the parks.

The entire ToT concept for BOTH parks was designed with Twilight Zone in mind. Removing it means shoehorning something into a place it doesn't belong. Why not take Pirates and do a different boat ride in the building, but reuse some sets and show pieces. You just don't. No. Sorry, Chappie. Go back to selling Thor hammers and Tink hoodies. Stuff you were capable of handling.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Do you think the negative reception of this idea could possibly make them reconsider?

Anything is possible.

I know they didn't expect the attention. Or people reacting badly to it.

But when you have WDI hanging around BOTH Towers at odd hours. When you have them doing a private show for Colglazier (still trying to find out if Georgie had one) with special headsets and show scenes being described during the ride ... did they really think no one was ever going to find out? Or are they using the fact they knew it would? Not really sure nor do I care. I just want them to rethink this ridiculous idea for BOTH coasts.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I spoke with the executive office of George Kalogridis yesterday (whatever that means) in response to my email, and I was told that 100% it would NEVER happen in Orlando, and that the executives in WDW know the value of Tower of Terror to it's guests. They also expressed how they were well aware about the influx of calls and inquiries about the issue. I proceeded to ask about Anaheim, and was told that they have no info on that.

Did you get the cubicle dweller's, who would likely take a selfie if she/he met Georgie, name? First, last and title with company. Did they say there would be no temporary or permanent overlay of GotG to ToT? And they used the word NEVER? And has anyone called TDA or do our DLers just not care (one justification I was told for why this was an easy sell in CA where DCA has dozens of attractions and not the amount of fingers most people have on one hand like WDW)?

Matt_Black

Then came the idea of getting rid of mommies with special needs 8-year-olds complaints and adding Stitch (who was hugely popular at the time) into the MK quickly and cheaply. We all know how that turned out.

Brief clarification- you might not like it, but Stitch is one of the most intricate, advanced audio-animatronics ever produced. Not sure how that fits in with "quick and cheap".

TabulaRasa

Did you get the cubicle dweller's, who would likely take a selfie if she/he met Georgie, name? First, last and title with company. Did they say there would be no temporary or permanent overlay of GotG to ToT? And they used the word NEVER? And has anyone called TDA or do our DLers just not care (one justification I was told for why this was an easy sell in CA where DCA has dozens of attractions and not the amount of fingers most people have on one hand like WDW)?
I did get a name at the time, but it has since escaped me because it was a few days ago. It's very possible that I got a cubicle dweller. I just found it interesting that I was given two distinct answers for the two proposed overlays. Probably means nothing.

Miss Heinous

Brief clarification- you might not like it, but Stitch is one of the most intricate, advanced audio-animatronics ever produced. Not sure how that fits in with "quick and cheap".
Because 90% of the rest of the attraction was carried over from the previous incarnation with little to no changes. 2 advanced AA's does not make a quality attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom