Your Disney Misconceptions?

CarlFredricksen

Having not been to Disney in about 5 years, I remember going to MK when I was about 15 and thinking to myself, 'hmmm...these animals on the Jungle Cruise look pretty real!'

Spike-in-Berlin

My first memory of WDW is a television documentary in German television in the late 1970ies. It was of course only about the MK and when I watched it I got the wrong impression that you would only reach Frontierland by train. I didn't now about the layout of the park, hub concept etc. and also believed it to be much larger with the distance between the different lands so large that it is better to go by train than to walk.

stlbobby

You know, a funny story. When I was 10 I so badly wanted a window seat on the plane. I didn't get one, but prior to landing in Orlando I swore I saw the castle outside the window. It makes me crazy to this day every time I go down there. I know it is almost physically impossible to see the Castle for the very reason that I come from Toronto and the Orlando Airport is about 20 miles NORTH of WDW so nobody on the plane save for maybe the pilot would be able to see it from a distance.

This may not be completely crazy. I know when I fly into various airports the planes often land approaching from opposite ends of the airport than the previous trip. I've been told this is due to winds. Also runways can get backed up and pilots often have to circle around waiting for an opening. You might have been in a holding pattern or circling for a different approach on that first trip.

Maybe there is a pilot or air traffic controller on the boards that can provide first hand insight.

Martian Crab

Planes do approach the airport differently, depending on the prevailing winds.
If I look out my picture window it faces the final approach of Ft. Lauderdale Intl. airport and indeed, some days planes are heading east to land and on other days it's reversed.

fabroman

When I was in Disneyworld, in 1st grade, I always thought that the coolest attraction was the TTA peoplemover. Mainly because of all the moving sidewalks.

Still have a fond liking for the TTA however.

Walt Disney1955

This may not be completely crazy. I know when I fly into various airports the planes often land approaching from opposite ends of the airport than the previous trip. I've been told this is due to winds. Also runways can get backed up and pilots often have to circle around waiting for an opening. You might have been in a holding pattern or circling for a different approach on that first trip.

Maybe there is a pilot or air traffic controller on the boards that can provide first hand insight.

You might be right, but I was 10 years old. It was my first time on a plane and first time to WDW. I so badly wanted to see the Castle that I most likely imagined it

bjlc57

Please don't press anyone for a link.
bjlc57 has, in the past, insisted that the Maelstrom once extended out of the building at the top of the waterfall. He also insisted that cannonballs flew overhead in the Pirates of the Caribbean. The whole thing became ugly, and it's not worth reviewing. He seems to be a very nice man, and if his memories involve a vehicle that exits the building, who gets hurt? I hate to see an individual who seems to be a genuinely good guy get berated for no productive purpose. I don't want to seem like I'm trying to dictate the actions of others, but there is so much ugliness in this world that a little compassion on a Disney forum would go a long way. :)

Hey,, I really want to thank you for this post. I am a really good guy who has been going to WDW since it opened in 71... and I remember when Epcot first opened.. and again doing Pirates.. and I don't want to get into other aspects of my thoughts..

but thank you for the post..

sublimesting

I remember as a kid that you could walk into the castle and go up and down hallways, like it was a walking show. For some reason i remember seaing a witch in there. Maelstrom for me too!

Isn't that how the Sleeping Beauty Castle is? There is a walk through Sleeping Beauty exhibit.

BiggerTigger

Embarassing, as a young kid I always thought the complete ride was in the building, like the haunted mansion. I never could figure out how we passed the conservatory without seeing the sun outside(?) :hammer: Of course, I was also scared of the Haunted Mansion and made my mother hold my hand to go through.
Ok, that was embarassing to admit. :lookaroun

Since1976

(Was going to start a whole new thread about childhood misconceptions about WDW, but then I found this one)

When I was 11 years old I chickened out of the Space Mountain queue (having never ridden a coaster before), because I thought the shooting star projections on the ceiling of the attraction were the coasters! My thought was "no way am I riding something that moves that fast!"

Nero the dog

You know, a funny story. When I was 10 I so badly wanted a window seat on the plane. I didn't get one, but prior to landing in Orlando I swore I saw the castle outside the window. It makes me crazy to this day every time I go down there. I know it is almost physically impossible to see the Castle for the very reason that I come from Toronto and the Orlando Airport is about 20 miles NORTH of WDW so nobody on the plane save for maybe the pilot would be able to see it from a distance.

lol, me too! I'm 6'2". I swear I'll get knocked out on that ride someday. I actually was so certain I was bitterly close to a rail above my head once that I asked a cast member after the ride how high the bars are. She laughed and said not to worry there is plenty of space. I didn't truly believe her until recently when I saw a video on Youtube with Space Mountain with the lights on. I do have enough space, after all.

Coming from the UK we often fly directly over Kennedy Space Centre. You can clearly make out the launch pads and the assembly buildings.

I've also been on SM when the lights are on, the ride has never been the same for me since.

jkl2000

When we last went (2000) we didn't know DHS and DAK existed. I never heard of DHS till planning this trip. To me, WDW was MK and Epcot till recently.

75disney

I have never had trouble navigating my way around any of the other parks, but for some reason I always get lost in DHS!!!

Also, my husband went with his family in 1983 or so. He was only 4 and doesn't remember much from that trip, but he swears they had breakfast on the riverboat at MK. Was that once a restaurant??
He is referring to the river boat at DTD. It is now Fulton's Crab House, but back then it was called The Empress Lily ( named after Walt's wife). It had one of the first character breakfasts on property there.

Ernierich

As a kid I though EPCOT was inside 'the great big ball'. In fact, I held on to that belief until i first visited The World - I was 36....:)

Goofyernmost

We do?! I am so getting a window seat next time!
A number of flights into Orlando that I have ever been on have approached the airport from the south. They would just make a huge swing over the ocean and come in from the other direction. I would think that it might be visible from the west side of the plane. You'd have to have pretty good eyesight but you might be able to make out shapes. The largest and most obvious would be the Contemporary Resort. It is distinctly shaped and pretty big. I've never seen it, but, it must be there someplace, it's a matter of knowing where to look.

James122

When I was younger I remember being terrified to ride Space Mountain because I thought it was full of ghosts that would pop out at you. I think I was confusing it with the Haunted Mansion.

I was also scared to ride the Tower of Terror because I thought you stood during the ride.

tonganprince

My first time in 1990 I went on pirates and got freaked out because I thought the pirates leg hanging down was a real leg!

Now, not so much. Haha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom