Your Disney Misconceptions?

stlbobby

Because of the early commercials I though you got to stand during the ToT...I was disappointed when I saw the seats.

I totally thought the same thing, and when I road it the first time I seriously thought the floor was going to drop while I was in the library room. I was totally freaked out.

:lol: I remember the same illusion from Full House, Family Matters, Step by Step....it seemed like any ABC show in the 90s eventually made its way to Florida.

I wonder why that would be?

well the truth is that Maelstrom DID COME OUT MUCH FURTHER.. and the scary thing that you looked at was ON THE CEILING and not on the floor..

and any one who says it did not is FULL OF IT..

Please not this again.

cslafferty

For years my mom and I always got hopelessly lost in the Streets Of America portion of DHS back when it was only the NY street and LMA didn't exist. I think it was some kind of mental block that my mom and I had about that area of the park. It was like the Bermuda Triangle to us. Now when I walk through that area I just laugh at the idea of anyone finding it confusing or needing a map to find their way out. :shrug: I'll never know what our issue was, but it's funny to think about now.

I have never had trouble navigating my way around any of the other parks, but for some reason I always get lost in DHS!!!

Also, my husband went with his family in 1983 or so. He was only 4 and doesn't remember much from that trip, but he swears they had breakfast on the riverboat at MK. Was that once a restaurant??

magiconmainstrt

My biggest misconception started back probably about 35 years ago when I was around 10. Walking into WDW with my parents and seeing the castle at the end of this long street and thinking...this is the best place for us kids!

Now I realize and my kids have grown to understand this.....When walking into WDW or driving into Poly or seeing the Castle on the first day....I realize that I was wrong...this is the best place for us adults! :lol:

(One day...hopefully my Grandkids may say...Hey look at Grandma she's skipping down Main Street:ROFLOL:)

Home Sweet Home

SoupBone

I totally thought the same thing, and when I road it the first time I seriously thought the floor was going to drop while I was in the library room. I was totally freaked out.

I wonder why that would be?

Please not this again.

Please explain or link something for me. I have no clue what you guys are talking about.

rsoxguy

Please explain or link something for me. I have no clue what you guys are talking about.

Please don't press anyone for a link.
bjlc57 has, in the past, insisted that the Maelstrom once extended out of the building at the top of the waterfall. He also insisted that cannonballs flew overhead in the Pirates of the Caribbean. The whole thing became ugly, and it's not worth reviewing. He seems to be a very nice man, and if his memories involve a vehicle that exits the building, who gets hurt? I hate to see an individual who seems to be a genuinely good guy get berated for no productive purpose. I don't want to seem like I'm trying to dictate the actions of others, but there is so much ugliness in this world that a little compassion on a Disney forum would go a long way. :)

mp2bill

When I was a kid I always thought the way "Disney" was famously written that the "y" was a "p". I asked my mom this, and she said, "no, it's a "y". For a few years I wondered why it was Disney sounded like "Disnep".

YES! I thought that too! That crazy Walt Disnep and his crazy handwriting.

Candlejack

When I was a kid I always thought the way "Disney" was famously written that the "y" was a "p". I asked my mom this, and she said, "no, it's a "y". For a few years I wondered why it was Disney sounded like "Disnep".

YES. I've heard people say similar things about three different letters in the Walt Disney signature, so my brother and I just refer to Walt and anything involved with him as "Waly Gisnep" now.

Also, when I was little, I thought that the Orlando airport was, like, a few blocks away from the Magic Kingdom.

Oh, and I still think that I'll get decapitated if I don't duck down during (alliteration!) all of SM.

mp2bill

The lift mechanisms in the four Load shafts at Tower cannot do drop sequences. They're not high-power enough, and the pulley/counterweight system isn't set up that way either.

Yeah, I know that the load shafts can't do the drops, and I remember the vehicles moving forward and through some halls, but I also seem to remember being totally engrossed in the story and then being totally surprised when the vehicles dropped. Nowadays, the storyline ends, you move forward through the starfield and into the 5th dimension, and you definitely noticed the vehicles being seated into their final position before dropping.

I'm thinking that there used to be a pepper's ghost effect after the vehicles were seated in their final position, which gave you the feeling of movement. Therefore it seemed as though you were still in the middle of the story right before you are dropped, thus eliminating the obvious transition from storyline to drop sequence.

Once again, I could be misremembering things, but I know for sure that the sequence was different than it is today (or at least from last year...I know they changed the sequence again for Summer Nighttastic).

Ok, this is not my most shining moment, but when I was a little kid, and went to WDW my family and I rode the Haunted Mansion.

While we were in the stretch room, I couldn't hear (or wasn't listening to) the Ghost Host's spiel. Particularly, I must have missed the whole "There's always my way."

So the lights go out, and everyone screams. I look up, and apparently am directly under the hanging body...and in my mind it registers as a witch riding a broom.

For YEARS I thought that it was a witch. Of course during that time, I did not return to WDW...fast forward almost 20 years. I return to WDW as an adult...and I realize what it is.

What is really ironic is that Haunted Mansion has become my FAVORITE!

I guess a child's mind fills things in when it can't comprehend what something is.

Rob562

Also, my husband went with his family in 1983 or so. He was only 4 and doesn't remember much from that trip, but he swears they had breakfast on the riverboat at MK. Was that once a restaurant??

Fulton's Crab House at the Marketplace used to have a breakfast in its previous restaurant incarnation. As a child it'd be quite easy to get the two boats confused with each other.

-Rob

Walt Disney1955

Also, when I was little, I thought that the Orlando airport was, like, a few blocks away from the Magic Kingdom.

You know, a funny story. When I was 10 I so badly wanted a window seat on the plane. I didn't get one, but prior to landing in Orlando I swore I saw the castle outside the window. It makes me crazy to this day every time I go down there. I know it is almost physically impossible to see the Castle for the very reason that I come from Toronto and the Orlando Airport is about 20 miles NORTH of WDW so nobody on the plane save for maybe the pilot would be able to see it from a distance.

Oh, and I still think that I'll get decapitated if I don't duck down during (alliteration!) all of SM.

lol, me too! I'm 6'2". I swear I'll get knocked out on that ride someday. I actually was so certain I was bitterly close to a rail above my head once that I asked a cast member after the ride how high the bars are. She laughed and said not to worry there is plenty of space. I didn't truly believe her until recently when I saw a video on Youtube with Space Mountain with the lights on. I do have enough space, after all.

Walt Disney1955

Oh and just to clear another thing up because no one for whatever reason believes me when I tell them this but I saw Cito Gaston (manager of the Toronto Blue Jays) at MK sitting on a bench near Thunder Mountain with his grandkids. I had a conversation with him for a couple minutes about the Blue Jays and winning the World Series and stuff.

I have told that story so many times and been told I am fabricating it at times but just to set the record straight I saw him, and talked to him about baseball. It really happened.

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
I thought I was strange because I always have and still see the Disney "D" as an inverted G as well. Just happy I'm not crazy or at least that there is one other crazy person out there. ;)

:ROFLOL:Thanks! It's funny-if I force myself to see it as a D, it looks totally weird to me. It looks right to me as a backwards G.

Candlejack

...that the Maelstrom used to come out further over the waterfall outside.

I forgot -- that too. It freaked me out when I was just a wee lad.

lol, me too! I'm 6'2". I swear I'll get knocked out on that ride someday. I actually was so certain I was bitterly close to a rail above my head once that I asked a cast member after the ride how high the bars are. She laughed and said not to worry there is plenty of space. I didn't truly believe her until recently when I saw a video on Youtube with Space Mountain with the lights on. I do have enough space, after all.

Hahah, I'm 6'2", too, and I purposely watch lights-on videos before I go so that I can sit up during the ride, but it just never works out for me.

stargrl33

You know, a funny story. When I was 10 I so badly wanted a window seat on the plane. I didn't get one, but prior to landing in Orlando I swore I saw the castle outside the window. It makes me crazy to this day every time I go down there. I know it is almost physically impossible to see the Castle for the very reason that I come from Toronto and the Orlando Airport is about 20 miles NORTH of WDW so nobody on the plane save for maybe the pilot would be able to see it from a distance.

I always try to find Disney World when I fly into Orlando! I've never been able to though...this would explain why :brick:

So when I was six years old and went to DW for the first time, I insisted that we go on the Haunted Mansion first thing. While waiting in line for the doom buggies, I saw a ghost using the telephone! So I freaked out and told my dad, but he informed me that it was just one of the ride operators. :ROFLOL:That was my first Disney misconception.

Grizzly Hall 71

My first misconception was when Fantasmic was first opening at DW and on the map of MGM it had the dragon's head coming out of the top of the rock and Mickey standing on a seperate island. I thought that would have been cool to see that I was a little disappointed that the dragon was seperate :p but I still do love fantasmic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom