Yeti indeed in new position on EE

Buried20KLeague

oh, please.
It is inconceivable that there hasn't been a point in the last 2+ years when it wasn't "logical" or feasible to fix the thing.:rolleyes:

$100 million bucks spent on an attraction 4 years ago, and they can't manage to keep even the majority of it's effects working. That is just sad, inexcusable, and completely non-disney.

No other way to put it. The yeti is broken and has been for nearly three years. The waterfalls never work at 100%. The bird very rarely puts in an appearance. The blowing snow on the peak never works. The mist in the caves has been turned off rather than being made to work properly. Steam from the engines is hit or miss. No excuse for any of that. Any suit at tdo that would try to put a positive spin on the situation, or try to rationalize why it hasn't been fixed....should be fired. They have no business working for disney.

quoted for truth.

Castle Cake Apologist

PLEASE.

I don't CARE what's going on. The supposed main draw of the attraction hasn't worked for YEARS. Cut through the rest of the BS, and that's what this is about.

And the fact that you defend that fact is laughable. ESPECIALLY as an employee at WDW.

Actually, we have no idea "what this is about."

If you somehow have a completely informed insight into the problem and exactly how to fix it without disrupting the guest experience at Disney's Animal Kingdom, PLEASE enlighten us.

IWant2GoNow

I think everyone here knows exactly how I feel on the situation and I feel like I'm beating a dead Yeti, but what Lee said is 100% spot on. I'm almost glad I don't live close to The World now because seeing it in its current state more often would only make me more infuriated that nothing was being done. However, I guess I would be able to complain to Guest Services daily. :p

I'm more and more disturbed that first time riders aren't even able to see it. Do CMs ever hear people get off the ride saying "Where was the big Yeti they showed on the Disney World Channel?" :mad:

BrerFrog

Oh, please.
It is inconceivable that there hasn't been a point in the last 2+ years when it wasn't "logical" or feasible to fix the thing.:rolleyes:

$100 million bucks spent on an attraction 4 years ago, and they can't manage to keep even the majority of it's effects working. That is just sad, inexcusable, and completely non-Disney.

No other way to put it. The Yeti is broken and has been for nearly three years. The waterfalls never work at 100%. The bird very rarely puts in an appearance. The blowing snow on the peak never works. The mist in the caves has been turned off rather than being made to work properly. Steam from the engines is hit or miss. No excuse for any of that. Any suit at TDO that would try to put a positive spin on the situation, or try to rationalize why it hasn't been fixed....should be fired. They have no business working for Disney.

Wait a minute! Are you telling me those two effects have existed during the ride's lifetime and are now completely "turned off"?! :eek:

I knew about the Yeti, the bird and the steam from the engines, but not about those. I am officially mad! :mad:

Castle Cake Apologist

Wait a minute! Are you telling me those two effects have existed during the ride's lifetime and are now completely "turned off"?! :eek:

I knew about the Yeti, the bird and the steam from the engines, but not about those. I am officially mad! :mad:

The mist tripped the ride sensors and caused constant 101s for the attraction, so it was shut off.

It was a nice effect in theory, but not one that panned out well.

As an operations Cast Member myself, I could imagine shutting the various mists off caused a collective sigh of relief from Everest Guides.

imagineer boy

The thing is, if they closed the ride for at least two weeks they could probably get a majority of the effects working. Close it for a month and they could get the Yeti to work. How about go ahead and get it over with? Screw the guest compaints about it being closed! I highly doubt Everest being closed will affect their decision to come back to WDW or not.

Lee

Adventurer
The mist tripped the ride sensors and caused constant 101s for the attraction, so it was shut off.

It was a nice effect in theory, but not one that panned out well.

A totally BS excuse. Many coasters (See: Mummy) have mist effects that work just fine with sensors, brakes, etc. The proper, and dare I say Disney-like, solution would have been to change to a different type of mist, or to come up with a way to shield the sensors to prevent malfunctions. Doesn't take a rocket scientist.
Just turning it off was the cheap, lazy, and bad show solution.:brick:

The snow on the peak has only worked a handfull of times that I know of, one being the day of the park's 10th anniversary. Looked great....and then was gone.

Attachments

• iphone08 210.jpg
    iphone08 210.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 107

glee

I think everyone here knows exactly how I feel on the situation and I feel like I'm beating a dead Yeti, but what Lee said is 100% spot on. I'm almost glad I don't live close to The World now because seeing it in its current state more often would only make me more infuriated that nothing was being done. However, I guess I would be able to complain to Guest Services daily. :p

I'm more and more disturbed that first time riders aren't even able to see it. Do CMs ever hear people get off the ride saying "Where was the big Yeti they showed on the Disney World Channel?" :mad:

It annoys me as well! It annoys me when the lights are on also! Ruins the experience totally!!!:brick:

mastif

The snow on the peak has only worked a handfull of times that I know of, one being the day of the park's 10th anniversary. Looked great....and then was gone.

I never even knew there was "snow" on the top of EE! Why don't they ever use that? don't want to spend the money to keep it running or is that broken too?

Buried20KLeague

Actually, we have no idea "what this is about."

If you somehow have a completely informed insight into the problem and exactly how to fix it without disrupting the guest experience at Disney's Animal Kingdom, PLEASE enlighten us.

So let me get this straight...

I've never been to Disney World. I've been thinking about going. I see advertisements about this huge, impressive Yeti. How he's a technological marvel. I see a special about him on the Discovery Channel. I see him on Disney's website (or at least talk about him). I see youtube video. I've GOT to see this thing in person. This put me over the edge. Now I want to check out WDW. So I go. Never once having any hint that it may not be what I believe it's going to be based on what I've seen.

So then I plunk down my $80 (or whatever it is now) for a 1 day ticket to AK. Never once having any hint that it may not be what I believe it's going to be be based on what I've seen.

I ride the ride. It's not at all what I thought it was going to be, based on what I'd seen, and what had been advertised.

And I shouldn't feel gypped?

Look. The yeti has been broken for years. It's that simple. It's misleading to advertise it the way they do. Like Martin said, they're taking the money and running. Don't tell me WDI can't come up with a fix when they've got YEARS.

With all the effects that are missing, on some days Everest is literally nothing more than a moderate coaster with a projection half way through. LITERALLY. And that's sad, because it's supposed to be WAY more than that.

Why should it matter to me WHY it's broke? You keep on with that... "We don't know what's wrong". I don't CARE what's wrong. It's a slap in the face to their paying customers that it's in the condition it's in, and they don't seem to care one bit.

And even if they don't feel they can close it (which I don't buy for a second) then at the very LEAST they could post something about a modified experience. Something that simple would go a long way with me, because it would show that they're being HONEST. They're at least saying something is changed. Even my local Six Flags has posted before the ticket booths what isn't functional for the day.

But instead, they go on as if nothing is wrong... Fleecing the sheep that walk through the turnstyle.

Laughable.

fractal

That just shows how poorly AK has been managed. When you have a park that can be brought to it's knees by the temporary closure of one of it's attractions, even it it is the headliner, you know it is a park that has been very improperly handled. It just highlights the lack of attractions and overall lack of expansion that AK should have seen in the last 12 years. It's their fault that they have painted themselves into a corner. If the expansions that were planned in the past had actually happened, closing EE to solve it's issues wouldn't be such a huge deal.

A totally BS excuse. Many coasters (See: Mummy) have mist effects that work just fine with sensors, brakes, etc. The proper, and dare I say Disney-like, solution would have been to change to a different type of mist, or to come up with a way to shield the sensors to prevent malfunctions. Doesn't take a rocket scientist.
Just turning it off was the cheap, lazy, and bad show solution.:brick:

Great post

disneysroyal411

They've turned Everest from an attraction into a thrill ride and it is losing it's Disney feel and becoming something that would be in a Cedar Fair park or Six Flags, even though if it at one of those types of parks it wouldn't be soooo detailed but I hope you get my point. It's losing its mystique and surprise of where you are and what's happening to you. I get on the ride and expect to meet the yeti, they don't even hide that from new guests anymore who have never had a chance to experience the mysteriousness of the mountain. It's a disappointment to myself that now I don't even try to hide the fact that there is a yeti in the ride.

Basically I just summarized what you have all been saying, but I wanted to stress my opinion to help me get through, as I hope some of you others do also. Also Samantha Brown is on and it's quite enjoyable!

Castle Cake Apologist

So let me get this straight...

I've never been to Disney World. I've been thinking about going. I see advertisements about this huge, impressive Yeti. How he's a technological marvel. I see a special about him on the Discovery Channel. I see him on Disney's website (or at least talk about him). I see youtube video. I've GOT to see this thing in person. This put me over the edge. Now I want to check out WDW. So I go. Never once having any hint that it may not be what I believe it's going to be based on what I've seen.

So then I plunk down my $80 (or whatever it is now) for a 1 day ticket to AK. Never once having any hint that it may not be what I believe it's going to be be based on what I've seen.

I ride the ride. It's not at all what I thought it was going to be, based on what I'd seen, and what had been advertised.

And I shouldn't feel gypped?

Look. The yeti has been broken for years. It's that simple. It's misleading to advertise it the way they do. Like Martin said, they're taking the money and running. Don't tell me WDI can't come up with a fix when they've got YEARS.

With all the effects that are missing, on some days Everest is literally nothing more than a moderate coaster with a projection half way through. LITERALLY. And that's sad, because it's supposed to be WAY more than that.

Why should it matter to me WHY it's broke? You keep on with that... "We don't know what's wrong". I don't CARE what's wrong. It's a slap in the face to their paying customers that it's in the condition it's in, and they don't seem to care one bit.

And even if they don't feel they can close it (which I don't buy for a second) then at the very LEAST they could post something about a modified experience. Something that simple would go a long way with me, because it would show that they're being HONEST. They're at least saying something is changed. Even my local Six Flags has posted before the ticket booths what isn't functional for the day.

But instead, they go on as if nothing is wrong... Fleecing the sheep that walk through the turnstyle.

Laughable.

I'm glad you think it's that simple. That it's all WDI's fault and that they're just being lazy and won't fix it.

The simple point is, Everest is pretty much all Animal Kingdom has going for it. Shutting it down would be much more damaging to first guest impressions than having it running with a modified yeti encounter. Disney is well aware of this.

At least they had the thought to add strobes and fans to at LEAST give it something in the meantime.

You clearly have no grasp on how WDW management operates. Look no further than SSE's botched rehab.

I'm not saying I think it's right at all for the Yeti to have remained in the state it's in for as long as it has.

All I'm saying is that I work here and I get how this place operates, odds are pretty high that until DAK has something else major added... the Yeti will remain exactly as it is now.

Lee

Adventurer
I never even knew there was "snow" on the top of EE! Why don't they ever use that? don't want to spend the money to keep it running or is that broken too?
No idea why it isn't used. The mechanism is still there, visible on the back of the peak.:shrug:

Attachments

• everestsnowmech.JPG
    everestsnowmech.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 99

Lee

Adventurer
I'm glad you think it's that simple. That it's all WDI's fault and that they're just being lazy and won't fix it.
True. It isn't WDI's fault at all. They build it, then hand the keys over to ops. If ops decides not to fix something, or to let effects not work, or to shut off effects....none of that is up to WDI. They don't like it any more than we do.

The simple point is, Everest is pretty much all Animal Kingdom has going for it. Shutting it down would be much more damaging to first guest impressions than having it running with a modified yeti encounter. Disney is well aware of this.
Also true, as I mentioned in my post above. It is a situation of their own making, and one that should have already resulted in some suits being on the unemployment lines. It is inexcusable to expect one ride to prop up an entire park.

You clearly have no grasp on how WDW management operates.
Not true. We are all painfully aware of how they operate. Like a bunch of drunken monkeys....or number-obsessed MBAs...one or the other.

All I'm saying is that I work here and I get how this place operates, odds are pretty high that until DAK has something else major added... the Yeti will remain exactly as it is now.
Something else major should have already been added or at least be nearing completion. The fact that there is nothing speaks volumes as to the incompetence of those in charge of such things.

Castle Cake Apologist

True. It isn't WDI's fault at all. They build it, then hand the keys over to ops. If ops decides not to fix something, or to let effects not work, or to shut off effects....none of that is up to WDI. They don't like it any more than we do.

I'm glad somebody here understands that. I work in Tland Ops. I'd love to see some threads here decrying all the broken effects on SGE, because I'm pretty sure they greatly outnumber Everest.

Also true, as I mentioned in my post above. It is a situation of their own making, and one that should have already resulted in some suits being on the unemployment lines. It is inexcusable to expect one ride to prop up an entire park.

Sadly, that's the situation though. I also don't see it changing anytime soon. As much as it pains me to say, probably 65% of guests that ride Everest don't know there's anything wrong with it.

Not true. We are all painfully aware of how they operate. Like a bunch of drunken monkeys....or number-obsessed MBAs...one or the other.

I know that you understand how they operate lol.

I just find it hard to believe that the people that post endlessly in these threads about how "Imagineering" has let Everest become an embarassment and that they need to just shut the ride down until everything is fixed understand WDW operations at all.

Something else major should have already been added or at least be nearing completion. The fact that there is nothing speaks volumes as to the incompetence of those in charge of such things.

I know there's plans, but it's just a matter of getting TDO to get off their money-tight and realize that (like Walt) they need to spend money to make money in the long run and do something about it.

SIDEBAR: From what I've been led to believe, the peak snow effect is not used anymore because they never really got it to achieve the desired look. Even Joe was somewhat disappointed with the execution from what I've come to understand.

Figment632

Lee why would you disagree with him he is a Disney Expert.

Castle Cake Apologist

Lee why would you disagree with him he is a Disney Expert.

I think Lee and I are pretty much on the same page here, but okay.

Lol, and for the record... while I do consider myself a casual expert on Walt Disney World, I was also about 13 when I picked that user name. I may not have a lot of posts, but I've been a member here for nine years.

imagineer boy

SIDEBAR: From what I've been led to believe, the peak snow effect is not used anymore because they never really got it to achieve the desired look. Even Joe was somewhat disappointed with the execution from what I've come to understand.

Hmm... usually when Disney says that its an excuse to save money. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom