World Series

Shaman

imagineer boy said:
Well, the news people said that there was only a three degree difference from outside, so why not keep the dome open? No, the reason why they left it closed was because the crowd noise level magnifies when the roof is over head, so that way it could distract the cardinals players. Now that's what I call low.

That sounds like something the Cards should've been able to overcome...if they didn't it's not the 'stros fault...

Blaming officiating is useless too...because thats something these atheletes who get paid in the millions should be able to overcome...As a visiting team you should never expect friendly treatment from the home crowd/ball park....

The team that wants it more always moves on...

Be happy...you had a great season. Good luck to you guys next year! :)

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
macsmom said:
RED MEANS GO!!

Cardinals v. some other team.....

Does the offseason count as a "some other team"? If so, then you were correct! :lookaroun :lookaroun :lol:

Erika

imagineer boy said:
Well, the news people said that there was only a three degree difference from outside, so why not keep the dome open? No, the reason why they left it closed was because the crowd noise level magnifies when the roof is over head, so that way it could distract the cardinals players. Now that's what I call low

:lol: :lol: If the Cards are that easily distracted, they deserve to lose. For what they get paid they darn well better know how to tune out that kind of noise.

I think you insult your own players by posting that.

rainfully

DDuckFan130 said:
:lol: Somehow I doubt it. I'm sure you'd be too busy celebrating to bother with the complaints. But eh whatever. Bad calls will always be made, and the Cards are not just jinxed like that. Just remember the meaning of good sportsmanship. If Yankees fans were able to do it last year and the Angels were able to do it this year, so could you :wave:

You think the Cards aren't jinxed by bad calls? Ask any Cardinal fan about Don Denkinger.... :lol: ;)

rainfully

imagineerboy... please stop giving Cardinals fans a bad name.

Most of us have arlready moved on... aren't being whiny and are looking forward to next season and a new stadium.

I'm sad, sure.. wish things could have turned out differently... but I'm not blaming a roof.

Shaman

rainfully said:
You think the Cards aren't jinxed by bad calls? Ask any Cardinal fan about Don Denkinger.... :lol: ;)

((Hugs))

Sorry your team didn't win....:(

At least you got farther than the Fish....

Erika

rainfully said:
imagineerboy... please stop giving Cardinals fans a bad name.

Most of us have arlready moved on... aren't being whiny and are looking forward to next season and a new stadium.

Being from Chicago... I know how you feel *hugs*
Unfortunately next year never seems to come :lol:

I'm sad, sure.. wish things could have turned out differently... but I'm not blaming a roof.

Yep... your team is better than that, or else they never would have made it this far :wave:

SpongeScott

imagineer boy said:
Well, the news people said that there was only a three degree difference from outside, so why not keep the dome open? No, the reason why they left it closed was because the crowd noise level magnifies when the roof is over head, so that way it could distract the cardinals players. Now that's what I call low.
That's what I call using your home field to your advantage. If it was against the rules or cheating, MLB would not allow it. And, it's pretty much standard policy for an Astros game that the roof stays closed and opens toward the end of the game, if at all.
Oh, and Spounge Scott,
it's SpongeScott
I am not being a sore looser.
it's loser.
I don't think we were outdone,
but you were outdone in every phase of the series. you barely batted .200 and you'll never win with that kind of an average.
we just got jipped because of all of the TERRIBLE umpire calls ( and Astros got none? Coincidence? ),
umpiring has always been a part of the game. Calls average themselves out. You see it as bad because you lost the series.
cheap Minuite Maid homeruns by Astros,
you have every chance to hit HR's like that and couldn't do it. The fences don't move in between innings.
and biased media coverage.
yeah, FOX really went out there and affected the play of the Cardinals. :rolleyes:

SpongeScott

imagineer boy said:
Oh yes, they still would be there. I'd especialy still be fuming about the terrible umpire call on Edmonds.
Edmonds should have been professional enough to NOT have been thrown out of a playoff game. That is uncalled for to allow his conduct to go that far to remove himself from helping the team.

SpongeScott

rainfully said:
oh, I still remember that play. If that happened today, it would be overturned by the other members of the umpiring crew.

nibblesandbits

SpongeScott said:
umpiring has always been a part of the game. Calls average themselves out. You see it as bad because you lost the series.

While I am sad to see that my Cards aren't in the World Series, I have to disagree with the idea that Cardinal fans are upset about the umpiring because we lost the series. If you watched the games (which I'm sure you did) you would have seen that the umpiring was just sub-par. First, the strike zone was never really consistant (for either team).

Plus, throwing Edmonds out was a terrible call, especially if you've actually heard what Edmonds said to the ump. ( Aparently Edmonds asked the umpire where that pich was and that was it, relatively nicely. Edmonds then said the umpire used the F-word towards him and Edmonds claims that he didn't swear at the ump at all. Now, he said that on the news here in STL, and while it may not be 100%, exactly what was said during the game, I have to believe it was pretty close.)

Finally, (off the top of my head), that call with Molina being out at second was totally off base. Houston's second baseman NEVER touched Molina, yet he was called out all because the umpire didn't see the play, as Molina's body was in the way. The umpire called him out based on the way the second baseman reacted to the play. Even the announcers (who may have been biased, but that's a whole other discussion) agreed that Molina was safe. What the umpire should have done was asked the other umps if they had seen it because by calling not calling Molina out, it could have totally changed the game. (Not saying it would have, just that the possiblity was there.)

SpongeScott

nibblesandbits said:
While I am sad to see that my Cards aren't in the World Series, I have to disagree with the idea that Cardinal fans are upset about the umpiring because we lost the series. If you watched the games (which I'm sure you did) you would have seen that the umpiring was just sub-par. First, the strike zone was never really consistant (for either team).
therefore, no advantage to either team.

Plus, throwing Edmonds out was a terrible call, especially if you've actually heard what Edmonds said to the ump. ( Aparently Edmonds asked the umpire where that pich was and that was it, relatively nicely. Edmonds then said the umpire used the F-word towards him and Edmonds claims that he didn't swear at the ump at all. Now, he said that on the news here in STL, and while it may not be 100%, exactly what was said during the game, I have to believe it was pretty close.)
there are two sides to every story. We'll never know exactly what Edmonds said to the ump. And if the ump had been catching it all game from the Cards, they could have been warned to not say anything else, and Edmonds did. So, he's tossed. If the ump warns you, you better shut up.

Finally, (off the top of my head), that call with Molina being out at second was totally off base. Houston's second baseman NEVER touched Molina, yet he was called out all because the umpire didn't see the play, as Molina's body was in the way. The umpire called him out based on the way the second baseman reacted to the play. Even the announcers (who may have been biased, but that's a whole other discussion) agreed that Molina was safe. What the umpire should have done was asked the other umps if they had seen it because by calling not calling Molina out, it could have totally changed the game. (Not saying it would have, just that the possiblity was there.)
We have the ability of instant replay from 60,000 different angles on this and we can watch it frame by frame. The umps make their calls in real time and 99% of the time get it right. Give Everett credit on selling the ump that the tag was made, which is what fielders are taught to do. LaRussa should have asked for help from the first base umpire who was the closest and probably the only other ump to have an angle to see it. You can't blame the loss of the series on a call of an umpire. The Cards lost 4 games to a better team; they didn't lose because of faulty umpiring.

nibblesandbits

therefore, no advantage to either team.

Yeah, but I still feel the Cards got more of the raw end of the deal on that...although, it prolly is b/c I'm a Cards fan and had to hear my dad complain about every pitch! :lol: (Although I do know how to judge balls and strikes pretty well myself)

there are two sides to every story. We'll never know exactly what Edmonds said to the ump. And if the ump had been catching it all game from the Cards, they could have been warned to not say anything else, and Edmonds did. So, he's tossed. If the ump warns you, you better shut up.

Yes, it is true that we'll never know. It could be that the Cards egged the ump on, or it could have been that the ump was already ed off at the team (ie. Kicking Tony out of the game). Although, Edmonds claimed the umpire offered him no warning...

I was just trying to shed some light on Edmonds take of the situation because I heard it on the news and not many people live in St. Louis here on the boards. (Although on this thread, it may feel like it! :D )

We have the ability of instant replay from 60,000 different angles on this and we can watch it frame by frame. The umps make their calls in real time and 99% of the time get it right. Give Everett credit on selling the ump that the tag was made, which is what fielders are taught to do. LaRussa should have asked for help from the first base umpire who was the closest and probably the only other ump to have an angle to see it.

I don't feel as I should give Everett any credit. If the umpire would have just admitted that he didn't see the play to begin with and ask anther ump himself for advice, things would have been fine. And I agree that Tony should have asked for help from the first base umpire and don't know why he didn't, but it doesn't change the fact that he was safe.

You can't blame the loss of the series on a call of an umpire. The Cards lost 4 games to a better team; they didn't lose because of faulty umpiring.

I never said I blamed the loss of the series of the umpire, nor did I say it was all based on faulty umpiring. I was only saying that a small part of the reason they lost was because of the umpiring. Insted, the Cards lost those four games because they didn't play like they usually do. (I won't say it was to a better team b/c the Astros aren't, but once again, to some that's debatable.) Am I disappointed that they lost, you bet, but I am also aware that I can't blame the whole thing on external circumstances.

SpongeScott

I love a good baseball argument. Thanks! :wave:
nibblesandbits said:
Yeah, but I still feel the Cards got more of the raw end of the deal on that...although, it prolly is b/c I'm a Cards fan and had to hear my dad complain about every pitch! :lol: (Although I do know how to judge balls and strikes pretty well myself)
well, you indicted yourself on this one. :lol:

Yes, it is true that we'll never know. It could be that the Cards egged the ump on, or it could have been that the ump was already ed off at the team (ie. Kicking Tony out of the game). Although, Edmonds claimed the umpire offered him no warning...

I was just trying to shed some light on Edmonds take of the situation because I heard it on the news and not many people live in St. Louis here on the boards. (Although on this thread, it may feel like it! :D )
no argument here. Edmonds may not have been warned, but the team might have been.

I don't feel as I should give Everett any credit. If the umpire would have just admitted that he didn't see the play to begin with and ask anther ump himself for advice, things would have been fine. And I agree that Tony should have asked for help from the first base umpire and don't know why he didn't, but it doesn't change the fact that he was safe.
i do give Everett credit--he sold the play and sometimes that's all it takes to sway an umpire in a split-second decision. Perhaps he thought he did see a tag (it was close, but he did miss the tag) in real time. LaRussa not pushing the issue is a head-scratcher.

I never said I blamed the loss of the series of the umpire, nor did I say it was all based on faulty umpiring. I was only saying that a small part of the reason they lost was because of the umpiring. Insted, the Cards lost those four games because they didn't play like they usually do.
good call.
(I won't say it was to a better team b/c the Astros aren't, but once again, to some that's debatable.)
but for these six games, the Astros were the better team. That's the beauty of the playoffs. If Houston wins the WS, you can't deny them the title simply because you think the Cards are a better team. Over 162 games, the Cards were better. In these six games, they weren't.
Am I disappointed that they lost, you bet, but I am also aware that I can't blame the whole thing on external circumstances.
again, good call.

Let me also go on record that I am not an Astros fan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom